Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2022, 12:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Used Fiat Avventura vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford Freestyle | Need a city runabout

I would recommend the Freestyle or the Ecosport here. Both are fun to drive, are reliable and are decently fuel efficient too. Maintenance costs will be the lowest among the lot and will definitely be better built than the Marutis.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 12:45   #17
BHPian

Re: Used Fiat Avventura vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford Freestyle | Need a city runabout

Owning a Fiat Punto in the past and presently owning an Ecosport, Based on my experience I can only recommend you to not go for a used Fiat instead find a nicely maintained Ecosport. At least for next 2-3 years there is no concern for Spares and maintenance. Gem of an engine, good mileage, maneuverability. If you are lucky, you might land up with a great deal on someone selling their Ford as a distress sale.
srivatsahg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 13:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwayam View Post
Did you consider Ford Ecosport?
Not till now, but now added to the list after looking at so many recommendations about it. Actually I wasn’t a big fan of pre facelift EcoSport’s front look while the 2018 facelift models are above my budget. But now will consider the pre facelift car as it’s a solid car and availability is great too.
Old 19th May 2022, 13:41   #19
BHPian

Go for the wild card (brezza)
you are looking for diesel primarily for fuel costs, brezza diesel (discontinued) comes with 1.3L fiat sourced diesel engine which was powering swift, dzire, brezza, scross, basically it was national diesel engine of India, reliable, most efficient and gets the work done

Other choices will not come with this level of peace of mind
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 13:42   #20
BHPian

From your requirements, this sounds like a beater car. I would avoid a Fiat for this as the parts are expensive and not easily available. Ford has exited and Freestyle was not their best selling car, so parts may have a waiting period for the Freestyle too.
Etios, while its a good option, the example shared does not look great. The Etios Cross did not give any significant extra ground clearance as compared to the Etios. I do not see a reason to pick the Etios Cross just for the cladding.
I would recommend the Brezza here. It has the reliable 1.3 Multijet, easy parts availability, high ground clearance, low maintenance costs and the rear passenger space is good too.
the.dogfather is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 14:18   #21
BHPian

Since this is a beater car and won’t be traveling on highways a lot, you can rule out Fiat since it can be a pain to drive in city with its massive turbo lag. This is coming from a former Punto owner. The best option in this list is the Ford Freestyle. Loads of fun to drive both in city and highways with minimal lag.
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 14:18   #22
BHPian

Consider Duster 85 also. It's a proven workhorse worldwide and have seen some examples with more than 400,000 kms on some forums. Besides 85 doesn't have injector issues. Good GC for city and off-road if you want to. Find a good FNG and you are good to go.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 14:54   #23
BHPian

I can share my experience of Punto 90 HP as beater and occasional expressway sprints to relax the enthusiast in me. It’s second car in home, low on Kms, 65K in 8 years, maintained by best of Fiat experts in service in Pune. And I love it to bits.
No issues observed till date, drives fine in city and in expressways / highways she is comfortable doing 110-120 constantly for hundreds of Kms.

So if you get a good maintained Fiat Punto and have Fiat service capable FNG / service center, go for it, you will fall in love with her.

She is beautiful, Italian girl ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Used Fiat Avventura vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford Freestyle | Need a city runabout-574713f0c3334fe095b56612a6150cff.jpeg  

Last edited by FiatDiesel : 19th May 2022 at 14:55.
FiatDiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 14:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Hello everyone, I’m looking to buy a used beater car for city usage. Currently Venue 1.0 is the only car in garage.
Look for S cross also. 2017 models are available in plenty. It will give you peace of mind and good FE.

From your listed cars, my pick will be Etios Cross.

Thanks

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th May 2022 at 22:27. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 15:50   #25

Ford Freestyle owner here. Absolutely a hoot to drive, especially on highways however the clutch is on the heavier side. So, if you encounter frequent bumper to bumper traffic, not a great idea.

Wildcard - How about a pre-owned BS4 Tiago Revotorq? No DEF issues, lighter clutch, good NCAP rating, average ground clearance but robust.
revvytorques is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 16:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Consider Duster 85 also. It's a proven workhorse worldwide and have seen some examples with more than 400,000 kms on some forums. Besides 85 doesn't have injector issues. Good GC for city and off-road if you want to. Find a good FNG and you are good to go.
Yes, the Duster 85 ps makes quite a lot of sense if you are looking for a comfortable and fuel-efficient beater car. It rides well, has impressive driving dynamics for an SUV, and the 85 hp engine is excellent in terms of low-end and mid-range. The turbo lag is almost inexistent for this engine. There is more than adequate space as well. I think it is a better-suited car for all your needs.

However, it may not be as fast as the Ecosport and the interior do look very aged in comparison.
Alfaholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2022, 22:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddarth_Ramani View Post
Consider Duster 85 also.
Thanks Siddharth gor the nice suggestion. I never knew that Duster 85 has less issues than 110, definitely a worthy option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
So if you get a good maintained Fiat Punto and have Fiat service capable FNG / service center, go for it, you will fall in love with her.
Exactly my thoughts, Punto is truly lovable. If I can find one in good shape, it will be a great choice and I feel it’s the most vfm option too for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvytorques View Post
Wildcard - How about a pre-owned BS4 Tiago Revotorq?
That’s one true wild card I had almost forgotten that Tiago had a diesel option in it’s bs4 avatar. Will definitely consider it.
Old 19th May 2022, 22:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
If you have a Ford ASS nearby and don't intend to take that car on highways, settle with the Freestyle.
I own a freestyle and nearest Ford ASC is atleast 80-100 kms away. The car performs very well on highways, why should one refrain from highway trips ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
I will be checking out one Freestyle which is available nearby me. But that car has done 1.2 lac kms, that is something which is in my mind. Haven’t found any other Freestyle yet.
If you are interested in freestyle, I would suggest you to join couple of Ford Freestyle owners' group in FB. Mostly 1-2 times a month, someone would post regarding selling their car.Chances for you to get a low mileage, well kept car would be more.
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 06:41   #29
BHPian

In my opinion, Freestyle is a better choice from this list.

• "Avventura" should not have made it to this list. Punto is still fine.
• Etios though is a workhorse, it is a little barebones to my liking.
• Brezza is typical Maruti (does everything good but nothing exceptional).
ramji_or is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 07:40   #30
BHPian

My order of choice:
1. Freestyle/ Figo/ Aspire siblings
2. Jazz
3. Etios Cross.

I would suggest to stay away from the below for maintenance/ spare replacement challenges:
1. Punto / Fiats
2. Duster
3. Polo TDi ( if at all considered)

If budget increase is not a concern Brezza / S-cross can be considered too.

Last edited by ChandraSekarMN : 20th May 2022 at 07:43. Reason: Incomplete post edited
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks