Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2022, 12:54   #1

Recommendations for a Comfortable Car under 40-lakh rupees | 90% highway usage

Hello BHPians,

I have been using a Ciaz ZDI as my main driver (have clocked close to 1L KMs). I also have a Santro Automatic (2021)that i bough recently for local drives.

So the Ciaz is only used for longer runs, on average we clock about 20k KMS a year in ciaz (with multiple 700-800+ KMs per day routes)

1 Year back i went full retard with the Mods on my Ciaz. Spent over 4 Lakhs on the Mods (both cosmetic and performance). However, starting to realize that when driving for more than 5 hours, I eventually get tired.

So I think it is time to start looking for a upgrade that will keep me and my family fresh even after a long highway drive.

My first thoughts were to look only for a 6/7 seater as we are a family of 4 adults + 2 kids (3 and 4 year old). But I do not want to compromise on other criteria and i am fine to stick to a sedan as full family traveling is only occasional.

My main criteria are

1. Needs to Be a Automatic
2. 6 Airbags
3. Should not be a boring car to drive.
4. Car should be keen to tackle corners and hills.
5. Ideal Budget ~30-40 Lakhs
6. No specific preference on Brands/Badge. (But I really dont want a waiting time that is more than 3 months)
8. All round Comfort for 5 passengers. Would be a blessing if there are any 6 seaters that can do this

Thanks in advance.
Narayan Joshi

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th June 2022 at 05:04. Reason: Strictly no mention of illegally high speeds please; deleting extra emoji and capitalising “i”.
GoAudiJOSHI is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 10:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recommendations for a Comfortable Car under 40-lakh rupees | 90% highway usage

1. 20,000 km a year = diesel preferred.

2. 90% highway = safety a top priority.

3. Comfort for 5, would be nice to accommodate 6.

New car options = Kia Carnival (mind-blowing comfort + space + excellent engine + gearbox), C5 Aircross (mind-blowing comfort & depth of engineering), Octavia (fun, but petrol). Drive these 3 and you'll be an instant convert. Close cousin recently bought an old stock 2021 build Octavia Style variant for 28 lakhs.

Options worth stretching the budget for, or you can consider them pre-owned = Camry (a Lexus with a T badge and reasonably fun to drive), Superb & Kodiaq (but petrol). You should strongly consider a pre-owned Kodiaq Diesel.

You should also consider a current-gen pre-owned 320d, 3-GT (lots of space) or 5-Series. BMW's reliability is very strong.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 18:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recommendations for a Comfortable Car under 40-lakh rupees | 90% highway usage

My suggestion would be

Octavia - Fun to drive, but petrol
Superb - Spacious, luxury, value, but not as fun as Octavia. Petrol
Tiguan - Again good car to drive, petrol
Kodiaq - 7 seater for kids, fun, petrol. Waiting period is killing
Meridian - 7 seater for kids, diesel, but outright performance can be a slight compromise.

All of the above options can tackle corners well. Superb might feel more softer though

You can also try your luck on A4, not sure whether it will come down to 40 lakhs.

Last edited by sunikkat : 16th June 2022 at 18:29.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 17:57   #4
BHPian

Do try out the C5 Aircross once. It’s a good vehicle and maybe the exact thing that you’re looking for. Also, check out the Jeep Meridian once as well.
NarediAni7518 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 18:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

You can safely limit your options to Compass, Kodiaq, Meridian and Octavia. All very competent cars, and fair variety to accommodate different preferences. C5 Aircross as well, if you can make do with that weird rear seat. Will not suggest Carnival, the model will soon be phased out. The new generation is already on sale in international markets.

Your heavy running skews it in favour of diesel. Both Compass and Meridian have terrific highway fuel economy. Do note that none of these cars can truly accommodate 3 at the back, that kind of width is just not there. They all are super comfortable 4 seaters, but the rear bench is best for 2 adults + 1 kid. If you insist on accommodating 3 adults in proper comfort, your only options are the MG Gloster, and the soon to be replaced Kia Carnival. And they are no corner carvers.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th June 2022 at 18:19.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 10:10   #6
BHPian

Only one car meets your criteria to the fullest in your budget and its the Skoda Octavia. You must try it atleast once even if you go for something else later. Just think about the following points.

1. No SUV can beat the beauty and grace of a sedan.

2. Most heads of state have sedans as their 'Official state car'. I just had quick look through a wikipedia page with same title.

3. The Octavia has great proportions too. It is neither too massive to become a pain in the gluteal region while parking et al nor too small to be bullied by others in traffic or highways. Perfect!

4. The driving dynamics are great. There is no harm in calling it German. You can get away with it while doing so. It is acceptable.

5. The basics like safety and reliability are again top notch. You won't have to worry one bit. Recently BHPian roy1010's wife met with an accident in her Octavia. She came out unscathed with God's blessing and Octavia's great build quality. Link:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...xperience.html (Skoda Octavia | Major accident repair experience)

Buy whatever your heart desires buddy and gives you peace of mind. You may wait for the Tucson which is arriving soon. It will be one heck of a competitor in < ₹40 lakh range. But as for my pick, it is the Octavia.
Excommunicado is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 10:28   #7
BHPian

Superb Sportline can be had for around 40L OTR I believe. That is only if you find the Octavia small for your liking which I don't think you will. Any of the big Skoda sedans are really well packaged and have everything you need except high fuel economy compared to the Jeeps.
sauravpat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 10:51   #8
BHPian

There is no better highway cruiser than the Innova Crysta. The top model is well within your budget. The bullet proof reliability and the awesome resale value are legendary. IMO you should seriously consider the top diesel automatic variant of the Innova Crysta.
kushagra452 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 12:01   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Octavia was on top of my shortlisted cars as well and based on all your affirmation seems I won't be doing much wrong if I go for it as long as i will be in peace with the running costs (Petrol)

However, i have not test driven the C5 Aircrosss, maybe i will give that a try once. For some reason i have never been a fan of 5 seater SUVs. Not sure if it is worth compromising on the dynamics (over a sedan) for same number of seats, especially considering 90% of my driving is on highways.

I would have loved to consider the Kodiaq, but it is a shame that due to the long waiting period i would have to miss out on the potential 7 seater option. Not many cars in the used market too.

Compass- Not really considering as multiple people have pointed out about the lack of outright performance (would be a concern especially during overtaking in the highways with 5/6 passengers).

Ultimately, the one major factor that is pushing me to upgrade the ciaz is Fatigue after long drives. I want a car that will keep me most comfortable when i am supposed to drive for 8-10 hours a day.

If the above is the Top factor in consideration, i think there are not many New car options that can be considered under 40 Lakhs except the Octavia/Superb or Kodiaq (For a 7 seater)?

I will also consider the used Germans, but it is challenging to find a used 5 series for example that is not more than 4/5 years old for less than 40.
GoAudiJOSHI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 18:00   #10
BHPian

Your running is on the higher side, so a diesel might make the most sense. In that case, a Kia Carnival will suit your needs (so will an Innova Crysta ZX Automatic). You can also consider a used Kodiaq Diesel if you are willing. However, if running costs aren't too much of a concern, do take a look at the Octavia since it is comfortable as well as extremely powerful. If you want something bigger, the Superb amplifies the comfort factor as well as the value for money. A used Camry hybrid can be a happy compromise, with lower running costs (hybrid), no loss on comfort and Toyota's bulletproof reliability.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 18th June 2022 at 18:02. Reason: Added some info.
GForceEnjoyer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 18:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAudiJOSHI View Post
Ultimately, the one major factor that is pushing me to upgrade the ciaz is Fatigue after long drives. I want a car that will keep me most comfortable when i am supposed to drive for 8-10 hours a day.
What causes tiredness/ fatigue during an 8-10 hour drive? 1) lower back pain due to the low seating position in a sedan (lack of under thigh support, v seating posture v/s L like in an MPV/ SUV), 2) poor visibility in bad weather/ low light conditions, 3) ride quality on poor roads/ no roads, 4) NVH levels, 5) automatic v/s manual.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats an Innova under 40 lakhs - 1) sofa like seating, knees at the same level as hip minimizing discomfort and back pains, 2) great visibility and ability to look over traffic so your view isn’t blocked as you’re seated high, like in an SUV, 3) amazing ride quality over bad roads, specially at highway speed, which means you won’t have to constantly slow down/ brake & accelerate, 4) latest gen has very decent NVH levels, 5) get the automatic top Z variant.

Not recommending a sedan as #1 above is a key issue for me, so this is just based on my experiences.
Hashed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 18:56   #12
BHPian

2 options come to my mind. 1 SUV and 1 Sedan.
1. VW Tiguan: great all rounder, solid TSI engine+ DSG combo. Lots of power always available on the tap. Extremely comfortable for all the passengers. I recently did a 1500 km trip in 2 days! Corners well with almost nil body roll. Truly a driver’s SUV. All wheel drive with drive, DSG with paddle shifters makes it a great fun on highways.
2. Octavia: Everything same as above but with the Grace of a true sedan! This is the most fun sedan available right now. TSI+DSG works best on a sedan! Super comfortable on long journeys!

I may be a little biased on VAG cars. But that’s not a bad thing at all IMO ��
yogeshb18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 19:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will also consider the used Germans, but it is challenging to find a used 5 series for example that is not more than 4/5 years old for less than 40.
The Octavia L&K is a great 5 seater but I feel like your requirements practically scream KIA Carnival.

Automatic? - 8 Speed AT in the Carnival.

6 Airbags? - That plus a 5 star safety rating and a bunch of safety features.

Fun to Drive? - The KIA/Hyundai 2.2L Diesel pumps out 200hp/440nm and should keep you entertained.

Comfort for 5 passengers? - The KIA Carnival IMHO is the king of comfort below 50 lakh, the Innova Crysta may be king below 30 lakh but once you get to the 35-40 lakh mark there in no beating the KIA Carnival.

Budget? - The Limousine variant comes in at around 40.1 Lakh on-road Hosur, if you can stretch a little bit the Limousine Plus variant is available at 42.5 Lakh (all prices excluding any discount you might get from the dealer) and comes with the following features over the regular Limousine:
  • 8 speaker Harman/Kardon sound system.
  • Electronic Parking Brake.
  • 10 way power driver seat and driver seat ventilation.
  • Wireless phone charger.
  • Leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob.
  • Premium Wood Garnish
  • 10.1 Inch Rear Seat entertainment systems for 2nd row passengers.
  • Factory TPMS System

Although it's no car is perfect, here are some flaws of the KIA Carnival:
  • If you're driving on broken rural roads the ground clearance might be an issue, normal speed breakers and potholed roads are not an issue though.
  • The Carnival is a large car so the 10% of city driving you'll do can be cumbersome from time to time.
  • Not the best car for mountain roads, it's fine for a big luxurious MPV but if you like corners then the Octavia is your best friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashed View Post

Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats an Innova under 40 lakhs.
The Innova Crysta is an exceptionally comfortable car, my uncle owns a 2.4 Z Manual and it's great but only up to 30-32 Lakh. Once you get to the 40 Lakh mark it's hard to beat the KIA Carnival in terms of comfort and that's excluding other things like the engine and massive boot that is larger than a Honda City even with all 3 rows up.

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 18th June 2022 at 19:24.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 20:09   #14
BHPian

My 2 cents -
I remember reading one of your preferences to be a 7 seater.
Having Test driven the Octavia thrice, and in fact booked it as well, this is definitely not suited for 5 adults at the same time
Reason, the big hump in the middle of the rear seat is not very comfy for 3 adults especially since you want to travel long distances
Also, if you are booking a 2022 make, the wait times are at least 3 months
It's close to 2 month's since I booked, and the dealer is still not sure whether the car will be allotted within 3 months or not
It might sound strange, but I would suggest you to TD the Tata Safari once (XUV 700 wait times are way too high, hence didn't suggest it)
mah45 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 20:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:

My main criteria are

1. Needs to Be a Automatic
2. 6 Airbags
3. Should not be a boring car to drive.
4. Car should be keen to tackle corners and hills.
5. Ideal Budget ~30-40 Lakhs
6. No specific preference on Brands/Badge. (But i really dont want a waiting time that is more than 3 months)
8. All round Comfort for 5 passengers. Would be a blessing if there are any 6 seaters that can do this

Thanks in Advance
Narayan Joshi
All 1 to 8 of your criteria and the budget which says 30 to 40, scream an Innova ZX Auto. Speaking from personal experience, I have done few 500 km/day drives in my Z MT Innova and I arrive at my destination with very little fatigue. It crunches Kms like anything.
Shitij is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks