Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 16:45   #46
BHPian

Re: Unable to decide between a performance sedan or 4x4 SUV

This thread was quite interesting to read with lots of opinions.

I think the majority side with Thar which makes a lot of sense. If I was buying a car in college, I would not want something that brings too much attention and that is what luxury cars bring with them. The money saved aspect should also be looked at.

I do agree that the bimmer will get you the most fun and also the most scares with the low GC and the expenses if any will be massive plus something happening to such an expensive car might cause nightmares (atleast to someone like me). Another point to consider would be, do you think you will be able to enjoy the car fully given your mostly city based driving. If you do plan on longer trips to get the best out of it, you might have to hand over the keys to your friends at times(Avoidable -yes, but not always). Also keep in mind that most performance car owners have a second car(if not many more) in the garage for the day to day struggles.

You should definitely look at GLA, X1, XC40, Jeep Compass and even C5 aircross, as they are good performers and will give you much less headaches with bad city roads, easily carrying your entourage around. Much better choice than a Fortuner, since thats also in your list.

Finally, whatever you end up choosing, have a great college life as you would always have more chances at changing cars, not a lot at the fun filled roller coaster experience that this phase of life is.
learning_cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:39   #47
BHPian

Meaning no offense, but financial capabilities to buy a car does not equate to driving capabilities. Given your age and your legal driving years of experience, my recommendation is that you start with a humble car. There's a thread that deals with the same thing:
Why young & 1st-time drivers should start with a humble / cheap car

Last edited by Benoit : 26th June 2022 at 22:41.
Benoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 23:42   #48
BHPian

Interesting thread. Your initial choices cover a very broad spectrum. You mention you like the Thar because of it's resemblance to a Jeep Wrangler, but with an 80 lakh budget you could easily go for an actual Wrangler.

At your age, you shouldn't go for an M340i, purely because you most likely don't have the experience, roads, or the commute to truly enjoy a beast like that.

Like others have said the Thar does make sense as you like the butch looks, and you save a lot of money considering your 2-3 year horizon.

If you absolutely must have a prestigious badge though, look into the BMW X1 or the X3.

But really you first need to assess your use case, age, commute and adjust it to what you truly want to spend. 80 lakh is a big enough budget to go for a Land Rover Discovery Sport or Range Rover Evoque.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 15:45   #49

I think your approach to this is wrong ( no offence meant). With such a broad budget range you will never be able to decide. If i was you first thing i would do is split my budget into Brain friendly ( Below 40) and heart friendly ( 40 - 80). Once I've done that make a hard call on which body part i prefer to listen to. Once that's done just look for the best SUV that fits in that budget. Now everyone here has given you a plethora of options to please both your brain and heart. But I'm assuming you boiled it down to those three after doing some research.

So let's look at those three options:
1. Beamer doesn't make sense because you obviously prefer SUVs.
2. Fortuner would fall in the heart bucket but looks like it's not pleasing your heart as much to jump segments and buckets. And it's not matching the exclusivity mandate.
3. Thar seems like the choice you wanna go with since you keep mentioning that you are not after luxury but prefer SUVs with character. But the one thing that seems to be missing is that it doesn't give you that exclusive feeling since there are a lot of them now. And maybe also that upscale-ness that comes with a fortuner or the beemer.

The good news is you have a tasty budget. And thar is the one car where you can sprinkle a good dose of your identity and style by taking it to a good Mod workshop. So if i was you I'll put my money on the Thar ( Brain) and get it modified like no other thar on the road ( tastefully ofcourse) and win my heart over.

Best of Luck!
Eleanor_Shelby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 22:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azen Valen View Post
We’re planning to buy a car next year, when I’d be in 2nd year of my College.
So far I’ve not been able to decide which one to buy. And I’ve narrowed down to 3 vehicles.
Considering that you're a college student I would seriously suggest a blacked-out Hilux. I mean you have the vibe with grandness and ease of ownership of a Fortuner. Plus the Hills does make heads turn might not be as much as a 3 series but still

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th June 2022 at 23:21. Reason: Trimmed quoted post, spell.
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 01:45   #51
BHPian

80 Lakhs budget on a car for going to college. No offence dude, but get real!!!

My two cents, Save the bucks and spend on education. As you said, your parents saved up for this. I’m sure they’d be more happy to hear this.

Use the money wisely to fly abroad and do something tangible with it. Keep such budgets when you yourself can afford to buy such cars. That sweetness is priceless in life. Not by pasting “Dad’s gift” on the rear bumper of a premium car.

Cheers
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 28th June 2022 at 01:50.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 17:21   #52
BHPian

Since your budget is 80L, I wouldn't want to give you financial advice in this thread.

Thar ticks all your boxes and considering you'll be driving alone for 95% of the time, it's perfect for you. Buy thar and spend whatever money you want to customize it to your liking.
vellatechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 21:04   #53

I went through all replies and for now I’m going with my head. I’d get the Thar, modify it and invest the rest of the money. I can get something better in future that way, when i go abroad. Thanks a lot to everyone for the input! I do acknowledge that this question made no sense as it’s like comparing apples to oranges. But these 3 vehicles were the only ones which fit my criteria and I was confused to the core. It’s tempting but I’d just save money and get something practical. Just need to take a break from dreaming about driving something sporty. Thanks again!
Azen Valen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 22:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azen Valen View Post
A. On weekdays, traveling back and forth from college.
B. On weekends, I may go for a drive if I am free, so about 20-25 km on a particular day.
Hi Azen,

That's quite a budget you have. Most Formula Student teams in the country are trying to secure the same kind of resources for competition purposes: national and international

I would suggest getting something that won't have you worrying in the back of your mind. You will get plenty of fun options on which you can spruce up your driving, and tinker with for looks, power, or both

You would want something you can drive stress free when impromptu plans are made, or to roam around the city and outskirts with friends; be it narrow roads, traffic, or highways. Do save up for your further education, that matters a lot

Wish you an enjoyable and safe motoring mate
hey.rudey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 10:52   #55
BHPian

If its for that short a duration, why are you even looking at new options.
Just get your dream car used and well within budget. Like a glc43amg, or X3 30d, x4, Range Rover Sport….
You will lose lesser money when you sell and if you want you can even sell and get another one next year.
On a lighter note, very few other cars will give you as memorable a college life as a camper converted tempo traveller!! ��
Old 1st July 2022, 13:19   #56
BHPian

Hey Azen,

Being a teenage driver myself, even though personally I would love to see a BMW 340i parked in my garage but the car is way to powerful for young drivers like us. Just an insight, my dad who daily drives an Audi A4 gave me the keys to car for a special occasion, due to the car being quite low slung while reversing I caved in the bumper and we had to replace the set.

The reason I'm sharing this with you is because I daily drive a 2008 Scorpio 2.2 Manual and its been an absolute pleasure to drive, you sit quite high on the road, the car is very mechanical not a lot of fancy electronics but at the same time comes equipped with abs, cruise control etc.

My suggestion would be to go ahead with the thar, it is of similar dimensions of the Scorpio and you will find it really commanding to drive as confidence is key for us young drivers.

Well these are just my two cents the choice is upto you.

P.S: Do you study in MAHE?
Cliff9091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 13:31   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Being a teenage driver myself, even though personally I would love to see a BMW 340i parked in my garage but the car is way to powerful for young drivers like us.
That is a very level-headed thought coming from a teenager.

If you ask me, it will be always better to start driving a slow, beater car when you're a new driver and then graduate slowly into better, more powerful, and more sophisticated ones. This will pay off in ways more than one.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:21   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
That is a very level-headed thought coming from a teenager.

If you ask me, it will be always better to start driving a slow, beater car when you're a new driver and then graduate slowly into better, more powerful, and more sophisticated ones. This will pay off in ways more than one.
Thank you, in fact my dad wanted to do a full body repaint on our scorpio, change all the upholstery etc before handing over the car to me, but it struck us that being a new driver unintentionally there will be times I scratch up the car or get a dent to or two, so we decided to postpone the aesthetic restoration till march of next year in time for the car's FC

My suggestion would also be look into few used cars as well, being a enthusiast need not mean just buying those one or two vfm used cars like a Octy mk 1 VRS or a Punto Abarth etc, its just not about how much bhp for the price we pay, there are so many humble cars out there that are an absolute hoot to drive, eg Alto K10, The 4th Gen Jazz and with period correct mods they are aesthetically pleasing as well if you want to make a statement when you pull up in your college parking lot
Cliff9091 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks