Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2022, 12:03   #1
BHPian

Should I avoid the Renault Kwid Climber AMT?

Hi All,

I hope everyone is having a nice day. So I have booked a Renault KWID Climber AMT and I am getting the delivery in 2 days. The reason I have chosen this car is as follows:
  1. Price - It's costing me 7.3 Lakh on road in Bangalore
  2. It's my first car and people recommended I go with a smaller car
  3. Availability - I am getting the car in 2 days and AMT is readily available
  4. Automatic - I need an automatic for Bangalore traffic
  5. Decent feature set - Getting features like reverse parking cam, nav etc
  6. Small size - Will be good since it's my first car and good for city driving
  7. I like the overall look of the car

I was thinking of going with a Hyundai Venue earlier but cancelled it due to long waiting times, increased price and this being my first car. Now, people are recommending me agains KWID saying that it's not safe and AMT will have issues with Inclines. Is KWID Climber really that unsafe? I like the car overall, but will avoid it if it's really unsafe. My use case would be 95% city driving.

Thanks in advance everyone!
dhruvky94 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 12:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Should I avoid the Renault Kwid Climber AMT?

As the owner of a pre-facelift Kwid, my opinion is you should stay away from this car. I am not saying the Kwid is a bad car, I would still pick it from the current crop of entry level hatchbacks. But do I find it worth 7 big ones? Absolutely not.

The overall build quality, the refinement and the fit and finish aren't upto 7L standards in my opinion. The AMT is a crude implementation (although improved on the facelift with creep mode), there's no manual mode, it has a very poor safety rating and the overall reliability of the Kwid isn't the best either. Costs have been cut very aggressively. Again, acceptable for an entry level hatchback, but not justified when you are paying 7L.

I would suggest stretching for an Ignis Delta AMT. The Ignis Delta AMT might miss out on one or two features such as the fancy touchscreen and a reverse cam, but it's a much better engineered car in my opinion. It gets a better AMT, a 4-pot petrol, will be a lot more hassle free to own and is also backed by a good service network. It might also be safer than the Kwid for whatever it's worth (don't expect a 4 or 5 star rating of course).
vishy76 is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 15:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
As the owner of a pre-facelift Kwid, my opinion is you should stay away from this car. I am not saying the Kwid is a bad car, I would still pick it from the current crop of entry level hatchbacks. But do I find it worth 7 big ones? Absolutely not.
Ok now I am concerned about the reliability point. Can you please elaborate a bit on that? Like have you faced major reliability issues during your ownership? I had checked out Ignis but found that the waiting period was 2 months. Whereas KWID is available in 1 week. It would help me avoid getting drenched in Bangalore rains sooner

Also, 7 lakh is on road with all the bells and whistle. Ignis is coming around to 9 lakh for the same feature set.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th June 2022 at 17:45. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
dhruvky94 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 15:46   #4
BHPian

Manual mode is essential in AMT.

If Kwid AMT still comes without manual mode, it is sufficient reason to stay away.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 24th June 2022 at 15:47.
Vishal.R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 17:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Manual mode is essential in AMT.

If Kwid AMT still comes without manual mode, it is sufficient reason to stay away.
Yeah there is no manual mode still. Is that a big issue for city driving?
Old 24th June 2022, 18:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvky94 View Post
Ok..Also, 7 lakh is on road with all the bells and whistle. Ignis is coming around to 9 lakh for the same feature set.
Hi! Check as to how much is the difference in the EMIs of both the cars.

The premium on Ignis is just well worth it. I went for it when I was 100% sure on getting the Spresso.

Otherwise check the Wagon R which is slightly cheaper for 1.2L AMT and a little bit more cheaper for 1.0L AMT

If you are OK with Kwid's safety or the lack thereof, get the Spresso since it would be as safe as Kwid with the twin-airbags.
Old 24th June 2022, 18:33   #7
BHPian

Just going by the fact that you are spending 7 lakhs, there are way better cars to choose from if you can extend your budget just a little bit. I would highly suggest looking at Ignis, Swift, Tiago, I10 in their AMT variants. Relative to the Kwid, these cars are way better engineered, safer, bigger in space. The extra that you would spend on these cars is well worth it as these are way better cars than the Kwid. Also, the extra you spend would be covered in the reasle value itself, as any Maruti/ Tata/ Hyundai will hold a better resale than a Renault Kwid.
Any missing feature, like the reverse parking camera etc can be easily installed in the aftermarket.
ishan12 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 19:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah there is no manual mode still. Is that a big issue for city driving?
I have personally felt the need of manual mode in following situations.

1. Coming out of basement, climbing steep incline.
2. During overtaking in two lane roads

From above two for first auto mode is actually workable, but for 2nd case manual mode helps a lot.

Having an option to override AMT increases level of peace of mind for me.

Have also observed that "city use" car may ended travelling out of city sometimes due to many reasons. So batter to be prepared.

Existing Kwid AMT owners may share more details if it is indeed an issue.

Also I would suggest you to try an AMT car for a day from any self drive rental agencies and try to understand its behavior.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 24th June 2022 at 19:55.
Old 24th June 2022, 20:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Hi! Check as to how much is the difference in the EMIs of both the cars.
Hi! I am not going for car loan, will make full payment. I am considering Ignis now, seems like a good option. The only problem being the long waiting time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
I would highly suggest looking at Ignis, Swift, Tiago, I10 in their AMT variants.
Yeah now I am also leaning toward Tiago. Is it a good car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
I have personally felt the need of manual mode in following situations.
This is very informational.Thanks !

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th June 2022 at 17:59. Reason: Trimming quoted posts, for easy readability
dhruvky94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 22:36   #10
BHPian

I will also not recommend kwid. Tiago is a very good car. I would avoid any car with lesser than 4 NCAP ratings. If you are open to a pre-owned route, you will find many options within your budget.
Why not pre-owned Brezza AT, it's a 4-star car (benefit from Bangalore potholes + easy on the pocket for maintenance).
shashi792 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 01:53   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok now I am concerned about the reliability point. Can you please elaborate a bit on that? Like have you faced major reliability issues during your ownership? I had checked out Ignis but found that the waiting period was 2 months. Whereas KWID is available in 1 week. It would help me avoid getting drenched in Bangalore rains sooner

Also, 7 lakh is on road with all the bells and whistle. Ignis is coming around to 9 lakh for the same feature set.
Sure. I will list down whatever has been replaced so far:

- The AMT actuator failed at 10K km. The AMT refused to slot into gear randomly. Replaced under warranty fortunately

- The oil sump seems to be a common failure point. Thanks to it being made of plastic. My car has never had an underbody impact, but the sump still had a crack and was leaking oil

- Front bumper was misaligned from the factory. The bumper clips are not fastened correctly. As a result, the bumper edge rests on the headlamp and has cracked it

- Lots of juddering and jerking. Renault says this is normal. I believe the clutch has worn at 50K km.

- The blower motor has started making noise and gone weak in the 5th year of ownership.

The AMT is a real sore point. The shift quality tends to be alright for the first 20-30K km, but deteriorates rapidly after as the clutch ages. If the waiting period is what concerns you about the Ignis, trust me it's well worth waiting for. If you still can't wait, get a used one.
vishy76 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 05:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah now I am also leaning toward Tiago. Is it a good car?
I also strongly recommend Tiago AMT. My brother owns one for the last 4 years and no issues so far.

IMHO, Tiago is a no brainer.

For additional 74k, you get
. 4 star safety rating
. Better build quality
. Bigger engine
. Better suspension
. ESP

Kwid does have some additional goodies like touch screen display, LED DRL, LED tail lights etc., But they are not deal breakers and can be easily upgraded later

Should I avoid the Renault Kwid Climber AMT?-screenshot_2022062504480850_22353eb1782f8b444dc7fb2de30fd006.jpg
Everlearner is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 06:22   #13
BHPian

As many members have put, avoid the Kwid. It is not worth 7 lakh. Someone I know is getting very poor fuel efficiency from Kwid. I am not sure if it is the same for all kwids. In this segment, you have to consider that as well. Ignis on the other hands provides decent fuel efficiency.
Joelinf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 16:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
Tiago is a very good car. I would avoid any car with lesser than 4 NCAP ratings.
Yeah now even I am leaning towards Tiago. Brezza AT is costing 12 lakhs here, so out of budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Sure. I will list down whatever has been replaced so far:
Thanks for the detailed breakdown. Reliability looks to be a problem. I’ll checkout Tiago or Ignis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
I also strongly recommend Tiago AMT. My brother owns one for the last 4 years and no issues so far.
I think I am aligned now, Tiago does seem to better in every aspect. Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelinf View Post
As many members have put, avoid the Kwid.
Yeah I think I’ll go ahead with Ignis or Tiago. Will cancel the booking for Kwid.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th June 2022 at 18:01. Reason: Trimming quoted posts, for easy readability
dhruvky94 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 23:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I hope everyone is having a nice day. So I have booked a Renault KWID Climber AMT and I am getting the delivery in 2 days.
Its better to have an AMT car with manual override.
Manual override will immensely help in real life scenarios such as climbing the ramp at a mall next door.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed