Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 18:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Help: Have 3 cars, but only 2 are needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
I was thinking of the same. Germans seem to be unreliable because of the DSG. I don't want my dad to buy a headache. I really wish one of the Germans in that price bracket had a Torque Converter! Not sure if Tucson is a great car and if it really stands out, I like how the Jeep Meridian looks but people seem to hate how the space and interiors are done. Selling both Toyotas should get around 33 lakhs, and yes, there is literally nothing solid in the price range.

My dad has this 'dream' to own a BMW (The good part? They have Torque Converters), and I am not sure if selling both cars, putting extra rupees to own a BMW will be worth it (either 2 or 3 - provided we get some good discount; oh and X3 is way out of the budget but he loves it).
If you want to do this, I would ideally sell the Innova first looking at the current market trends.

I wouldn't be very worried about the DSG on the new cars as they are a wet clutch DSG and so far most of the Octavia + Superb threads don't seem to be facing issues: but you need to buy it with extended warranty, and keep some savings aside to replace it once out of warranty.

The Meridien is a nice car, but unless you need the 7 seats : the smaller compass will be better to drive around - interiors, engine specs, features are nearly identical.

As for BMW : The two options that could be had at a slight stretch of a budget (when discounts kick in) are the FWD Petrol X1 & 220i unfortunately get a dual clutch treatment as well. Your best bet would be a pre-owned 2020 320D for a proper BMW experience with peace of mind - many examples could still be under warranty with the option to extend. If your father enjoys driving, it is something to definitely consider.

As for the Tucson : honestly, the current Tucson has rectified everything that stopped us from buying one back in 2018 and picking up the Tiguan TDi instead : nicer interiors, more equipment, more grunt, etc.
The all new model will only take it forward when it arrives, and if Hyundai sells it as a CKD / CBU - quality & safety would hopefully not be compromised.

Last edited by lamborghini : 28th June 2022 at 18:14.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 08:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

To think with the head. Sell the Innova and retain the Corolla and Taigun. Corolla is a ridiculously easy car to drive in the AT avatar. For the ease of driving, these are the 2 cars I'd choose to retain.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 10:03   #18
BHPian

You clearly no longer need the Innova brother.

It is unfortunate but also crystal clear at the same time without any doubt. Taigun has to be kept since your mum prefers manual, therefore it is the first one to safeguard its place in your garage. It is a nice flex to be honest- A lady preferring manual.

Next, it is a toss-up between Altis and Innova and if you were to flip a coin with Heads being Altis and Tails Innova, I personally feel you'd want it to be Heads.

Keep them all if you can. Just doesn't feel right letting the Innova go
Excommunicado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 10:08   #19
BANNED

Since you will be moving abroad and don't plan on coming back, I will suggest you sell both the Innova and Taigun and keep the Altis. Altis will serve you(Your family) well for over a decade easily.

For the rare occasions you will need a second car, other go with Uber/Ola, or get a sweet Hatch like Altroz/Punch/I20.
CR07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 11:00   #20

Sell the Innova for a good price as you have no use for it. Keep the 2019 Altis which is fairly new and the VW. You can sell the Altis and make a meaningful upgrade in a few years.
dhruvlath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 11:24   #21
BHPian

Just the kind of problems we all need in our lives :-).

Honestly this decision should be fairly simpler, just ask you Dad to pick one car and Mom to pick on car, from your post it is evident that Dad will pick Innova and Mom will pick Taigun.

Upgrading immediately will make no sense right now considering your cars are fairly new with very low mileage unless it was your fathers dream to own a luxury brand or whatever reason that can justify you to do it. Considering that your parents have relied on Toyota for easy maintenance; a German white elephant will only give them pains with you not around.

I drive a Volvo S60 and believe you me if i leave it just to service Centre guys I will be paying ~Rs 1.5-2 lakhs annually extra just for some nuts, screws, greasing, Ac disinfections, extra filter replacements, opening the nuts of my tyres and closing them, updates or some stupid parts replacement which are neither required nor recommended.
Sticking to Toyotas reliability is highly recommended with you not around.
M.Dua is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 13:04   #22
BHPian

Hang onto the cars. The cost of replacing them with an equivalent or better alternative in the near future will definitely break the bank given the 2022 car prices.

You have 2 Toyotas in the garage, even without much of running they should be fine and hold their value (esp the Innova). Just make sure to do the basic checks (start them once in a while, avoid parking in the sun, move them around a bit etc) and you should be a-okay!

I have had a Vento for the past 7 years with a yearly running of less than 4,000 Kms a year, no issues whatsoever. VW manuals hold up well barring the odd problem or two, albeit my VW is from a different generation and platform. Can't speak with such surety about the newer VWs.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 15:41   #23
BHPian

If your parents have to take care of the cars, keep the Toyota ones and sell VW.

Peace of mind is top priority when it comes to elders. So don't let them wriggle out with VW if anything crops up in Taigun.

Last edited by headbanger : 29th June 2022 at 15:42.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:21   #24
BHPian

Sell Altis. It's obsolete. Assuming your Innova is a Crysta and not the old one.
steadfast is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I am confused about what we should do, or just let things be this way.
Just to mention, the car (or cars) other than the Taigun is driven around 800-1000 kms every month (~400 in city, and ~500 on highways), whereas, the Taigun sees 1,400 kms of city driving every month.

Thank you
Definitely a interesting type of query.
If I would have been in your shoes, I would sell INNOVA
As it is the car that has least use for your scenario as you are just a family of 5 members.
Also it is the car that will fetch you most in terms of resale and you will have least depreciation hit.
Compare your model with ads posted on OLX and you will get to know price you can get (I think >20lakhs)

Your mom really likes Taigun and a small car is needed if living in NCR so it is out of equation.
And you seem to love Corolla so keep it instead
Tanmay_868 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 22:03   #26
BHPian

I say keep the Toyota's. They're like family members, they'll always stand like a rock by your side through thick and thin without battling an eyelid.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 16:46   #27
BHPian

From what I could learn from all the replies:

If my mom is okay driving an automatic, we should sell the Taigun. If not, dad should decide between the other two Toyotas.

I think nothing like the Corolla will be on sale anytime soon and there are buyers I know who are looking for cars like the Corolla. It means that it would be a good thing to keep, and the resale value will never die.
I also think that Innova is a body on frame, which makes it appealing and rugged. It makes the Innova an Innova. The resale value of the Innova will never die either, and it will be the same with just little depreciation.

Or we could just have both the Toyotas sitting with the VW Taigun, with my dad driving both of them on weekly basis. I totally agree that Toyotas are investments and not liabilities.

At this point, I really want to walk into a luxury car showroom and see if they have a tempting deal for me, where we could trade in both the Toyotas for a luxury car. I am so not sure about the idea of a luxury car, but since the cars come with service packages and all sorts of warranties, I think it shouldn't be a very bad idea.
Old 30th June 2022, 19:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

As the topic mentions, we have 3 cars at home but all of us mostly just require one car everyday. It's just on some days that we take the 2nd or 3rd car out - if the 1st car is taken by someone or when we have to go out for a gathering. On regular days, we just drive one of the three cars depending on which car was driven last.

Thank you
Best option will be to sell the Corolla and Taigun and get either of Audi A6, or BMW 3 series. This will give you a sense of luxury plus you will never get bored driving those cars.
Crysta is a keeper as you can use it when all your family members are here for a trip and also has got the most comfortable seats.
superchamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 19:45   #29
BHPian

What an interesting conundrum.

My thoughts here,

1. Innova - Sell it. You don't need 7 seats, difficult to drive compared to other 2, not an enthusiast option either, big size, low usage, poor mileage, etc. It will also fetch you the highest resale value of the lot. You already have another Toyota to experience the bullet proof reliability and low maintenance.
2. Corolla Altis - Hold on to it. Better enthusiasts car than Innova, better performance, 5 seater, more comfortable for women enthusiast as well (your mom).
3. Taigun - Sell it. I don't understand the rational behind your manual requirement. And VW is always a ticking time-bomb no matter what. And the ASS experience (even though improved in the last few years) is still miles aways from excellent or even good. It is the most expensive here to maintain as well. The only downside is that you will loose a lot of money when you sell it (since it is new).

So sell the Innova and Taigun.

First and foremost, you have to address the devil in the room, that ONLY you know better is whether you want a diesel or petrol. Currently, you have 3 cars but also the more number of users. But going forward the number of users will be reduced and so is the number of vehicles in your garage.

My recommendation if you think only Petrol makes sense - Upcoming Urban Cruiser Hyryder or Upcoming Tuscon Petrol or ZS EV.

My recommendation if you think your usage will be high - All the above petrols + Compass Diesel 4*2 Manual

PS - If you decide to go with the luxury segment, then thats a different discussion all together. I don't recommend a used car route since the car will be used by your parents mostly.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 30th June 2022 at 19:54.
Livnletcarsliv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 22:12   #30
BHPian

Sell the innova and the taigun and get an electric Nexon for the city runs.
For the highway and snob value, let the Altis do its duty.

Last edited by saion666 : 30th June 2022 at 22:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks