Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 12:08   #1

Which car to buy: 2016 Ford EcoSport vs 2019 Maruti Baleno

Hello Bhpians,

I sold my Honda Civic AT 2008 few months back due to ingress and egress issues for my parents and was on a hunt for a used car. After a lot of painful waiting and searching 3 weeks back came across a 2016 Ecosport diesel with 35k on ODO. The owner lives in my uncle's building and as per my uncle this car was not used much. I went with my dad and took a test drive and the car was buttery smooth, felt like a heavy car. BUT the price quoted was slightly higher than the market. Tried negotiating but owner did not budge. Loved the car, paid a token amount. Yesterday my younger brother informed me that one of his friend was planning to sell off his 2019 Baleno which is hardly 18k driven and the price quoted is lesser than the EcoSport as he facing some financial difficulty and wants to sell off the car to settle off some debts.

Both the cars are in really good conditions and via reliable sources. I am really confused as to which one to be consider. I was never a fan of baleno for its poor build quality though Maruti engines are revv happy and smooth & I have never driven a baleno before. On the other hand ecosport diesel is a gem of a engine and its body shape makes it easier for my parents to get in and out & I fell in love with its drive quality while test driving.

I plan on keeping this car for a long time and planning for long trips as well and I love driving so more than features, the engine and the ride quality matters to me. Need your advice and suggestions in helping me making a good long term decision.
zaid_ames is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 18:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Which car to buy: 2016 Ford EcoSport vs 2019 Maruti Baleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaid_ames View Post
I plan on keeping this car for a long time and planning for long trips as well and I love driving so more than features, the engine and the ride quality matters to me. Need your advice and suggestions in helping me making a good long term decision.
From what your requirements are, the choice is obvious. But how much are you getting these cars for? That really matters before one finally decides and gonna mess the heart decision. The ingress need you mentioned, do check with folks on both Ecosport and Baleno coz that should not again become an issue.

All that apart, I would bargain again and close on the Ecosport

Against Ecosport:

- Ford shut shop.
- 2016 model Vs 2019

Against Baleno

- Not as tough as Ford.
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

As a car, Ecosport anytime against Baleno. Ecosport is build tough, good tourer and a great city car too. Will be more safer car also.

But Baleno will be easy to live with considering Maruti ASS. And while Ford support now will be okay, considering you are planning to keep the car for long, it might not be easy later. So it depends whether you are prepared for that uncertainity.

Logical decision will be Baleno, as it is newer, lesser kms run and priced lesser.

But then Ecosport

Last edited by sunikkat : 1st July 2022 at 20:53.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 22:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I sold my Honda Civic AT 2008 few months back due to ingress and egress issues for my parents...I plan on keeping this car for a long time and planning for long trips as well and I love driving so more than features, the engine and the ride quality matters to me.
We own a Baleno used by my parents, so I can safely say that it is not going to be a very comfortable car for people above 5'10" with respect to rear headroom or for long trips due to the lightweight body which isn't easy on the back of passengers, even on slightly uneven surfaces.

As for the EcoSport, Ford's exit puts uncertainty on aftersales support and I personally felt the rear a bit too cramped with respect to leg room compared to Baleno.

My suggestion will be to look for a used S-Cross. It is reasonably ok to drive and the suspension is good enough for bad roads. You will get the ease of ingress/egress as well as Maruti support for long term. I own a used SX4 and a friend recently picked up a used S-Cross 1.6. We both have senior citizen parents and they have had no issues with the ingress/egress unlike Baleno (slighly low, not as much as Civic) or Hexa (too high, now sold). It sort of is a safe middle way between the Baleno and EcoSport. And you will probably find older ones going at lower prices than Brezza and about the same prices as Baleno, unless you're getting a really great deal with the Baleno. Good luck with your hunt.

Last edited by Researcher : 1st July 2022 at 22:31.
Researcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 16:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which car to buy: 2016 Ford EcoSport vs 2019 Maruti Baleno

The Baleno will feel like a major downgrade coming from a Civic. Trust me I know. I went from a used Civic to a Swift. Only a CUV/SUV type vehicle will make you feel like atleast as a side upgrade if not a complete upgrade. My vote will go for the Ecosport. Both vehicles have their pros and cons with parts issue with the Ford in the long term being the prominent one.

I would suggest look for more options but between the above two the Ford owner will make my money provided the car is in good shape. Do get the service history checked out before making a final commitment. Also won't the ingress problem be with the Baleno as well?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:00   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Loved the car, paid a token amount.
So you’re reneging on your commitment? This thread should have been created before you made the advance - a token is a commitment to buy not to look for other cars.
EV NXT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 22:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ecosport anyday - I sold my Titanium TDCi at 99k kms with no expense other than regular service. It's built like a tank, very fuel efficient, hoot to drive and is comfortable for 4 adults + a kid yet fast enough on long drives. Ford sold it in lakhs so you should be ok for atleast 7-8yrs with so many cars running in the road. If you drive it yourself and have no plans to take it off road and stay on highway, you hopefully won't need to spend on parts. Parts should be available but probably get a bit expensive later. Maybe you could get it checked and do some preventive replacements right away.

Haven't driven a Baleno so can't comment objectively but I feel it might not be as good and not as fun to drive as a Ford.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 11th July 2022 at 22:59.
Old 12th July 2022, 00:15   #8
BHPian

Ecosport all the way, IMO! If build quality, engine performance and highway runs are high on your priority list, look no further than the Ecosport, but as Jaggu mentioned, actual cost difference between the two could be a factor.

Haven't driven a Baleno, but the build quality difference is not even a starter and with Ford having sold so many units, I think you should be ok with service for at least 7-8 years. Parts and servicing are quite reasonable as well.

On a different note, explore the used car market for more options if you have the time and will to do so. You might come across a well maintained Vento or Creta.
Old 12th July 2022, 04:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

There is no question here at all.

Just look at a few videos and pictures of the Baleno, post even minor accidents.
Old 12th July 2022, 07:43   #10
BHPian

As a Baleno owner I don't recommend the car to anyone. Maruti designed the car with only fuel efficiency and features in mind. It is a lightweight car and one can easily dent the doors. It is hard to see any Baleno without any dents. Also, I don’t recommend the car to those who look for build quality and safety.

Also on the driving front, the steering does not return centre on its own. It is a boring car to drive. Maruti service costs are not cheap anymore. Ecosport is a great car and service cost should be comparable. Between the two, I would recommend Ecosport.

Last edited by amvj : 12th July 2022 at 07:47.
amvj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 08:24   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am going to give you some plain and unbiased feedback on our three year old Toyota Glanza. Which in effect is the same as the Maruti Baleno.

It may help you in your decision.

Ours is a 2019 V Automatic with that CVT Gearbox. This is my Dads car. It is primarily used in the city as a local commuter. It does get on the highway between Madras and Bangalore and back around 3-4 times a year, usually with a sedate chauffeur.

The only thing we have done to it is to upsize the tyres from the OEM Apollo Alnac 195/55/16 to 205/55/16. We originally put Yokohama Earth 1’s and we have just now switched to MRF Perfinzas.

This car is an extremely comfortable commuter. I drive it sometimes to office and back or around the city and it is just extremely comfy and cosy. The seats are super comfy and snug. The fabric feels plush. It is a pretty cossetting an soothing car, considering its segment and price. And it is pretty well insulated and silent. The AC and Heater work great. And it sits sufficiently high off the ground so as not to bash into the speed breakers etc, provided one drives sensibly.

Both my Dad and I are tall. Im 6.2 and he is 5.11. The front seats are super comfy and padded and there is plenty of headroom and legroom. The back seats are comfortably padded and have sufficient legroom. Despite being 6.2, if I lean into the rear seat cushions, I have no problem with the headroom at all. I like the capacious and deep bootspace. One can stuff in all manner of things in it. There is plenty of cabin storage and all your essentials are always within easy reach. The sound system and touch screen interface are perfectly fine if not cutting edge. Apple car play works well with its wire.
The bluetooth phone feature works comfortably. All the functions do what they are supposed to in a fuss free manner.

I have driven this car a few times on the highway with the Yokos on and it was a comfortable and stable drive. But the CVT gearbox is perpetually hunting for the right gear.

I tend to drive it on the highways permanently in S ‘Mode’ just to hold the gears longer. It is not a speed demon and I would not drive it at higher speeds than a comfortable 100-110kmph. The L mode I use only to slow down if approaching a long sweeping curve or downward slope.

After putting the Perfinzas on, the grip, handling, cornering and braking are vastly improved in the city and this is absolutely evident when on the highways. There is no road noise any more and wet conditions are handled well. These tyres make all the difference to the car. From Good to Great, if I may.

However, this car is not really a driving enthusiast’s choice. It is much more a comfortable commuter and cruiser than a driver’s car. At higher speeds on a highway like the BLR NICE Road, if there is even a light cross wind, one can feel the car getting a bit unsettled. It has a very light build quality.

But honestly it is a no nonsense, humble, absolutely trouble free vehicle. Reliable. Easy to use. Inexpensive to maintain. Efficient service from Toyota- the car is given for its annual servicing in the morning and it returns all pucca by 4pm. (The service falls due in June so we just got it done 2 weeks ago or so).

It has its own merits so I will not dismiss it lightly at all. It appeals to the standard conventional-minded person. Or to a retired person like my Dad who likes the quiet life and the relative anonymity of this car and its great comfort. Yes he does say at times that it would have been nice to have more power on tap but otherwise he has expressed nothing but comfort and contentment with the Glanza. It is definitely a choice which says to the world that you’re a ‘sensible, quiet, middle of the road, comfort and reliability-oriented person’.

So hopefully the above will help you clarify your mind as to what you want more.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th July 2022 at 08:28. Reason: Spelling
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:27   #12
BHPian

Coincidentally, we own both a 2016 Ecosport diesel and a 2019 Baleno CVT, so here is my take:

Forget about the Baleno.

After living with the Ecosport for 6 years, driving the Baleno feels almost soul-less. Yes its easier to live due to ASS credibility of Maruti and the ride quality is better than the Ecosport.

However, you mentioned you love to drive and take long road trips and trust me, you will never regret getting the Ecosport over the Baleno for this purpose. The car is a tank at unmentionable speeds on the highway and 2016 model would mean a BS 3 diesel so no DPF or other recent diesel related issues while FE remains strong consistently.

Recently had a gearbox overhaul for my car at Ford ASS and the experience was decent. Yes, part arrival was delayed a bit but apart from that, the work was good and the cost was reasonable considering the changes.

Go ahead with the Ecosport without a second thought. You can save yourself from a fling and directly move to a commited long term relationship!
Fury is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 16:49   #13
BHPian

I have been driving a Baleno Delta CVT automatic since 2018 and love the car for city driving in worst Bangalore traffic -almost trouble free and tested tried hatchback -I have driven my uncle's Ford Ecosport Ecoboost in Ranchi-Bokaro Jharkhand it is a amazing highway car however not great for busy city driving and parking that too service and spares may become issue with Ford closed in India
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am going to give you some plain and unbiased feedback on our three year old Toyota Glanza. Which in effect is the same as the Maruti Baleno.

It may help you in your decision.

Ours is a 2019 V Automatic with that CVT Gearbox. This is my Dads car. It is primarily used in the city as a local commuter. It does get on the highway between Madras and Bangalore and back around 3-4 times a year, usually with a sedate chauffeur.

The only thing we have done to it is to upsize the tyres from the OEM Apollo Alnac 195/55/16 to 205/55/16. We originally put Yokohama Earth 1’s and we have just now switched to MRF Perfinzas.

This car is an extremely comfortable commuter. I drive it sometimes to office and back or around the city and it is just extremely comfy and cosy. The seats are super comfy and snug. The fabric feels plush. It is a pretty cossetting an soothing car, considering its segment and price. And it is pretty well insulated and silent. The AC and Heater work great. And it sits sufficiently high off the ground so as not to bash into the speed breakers etc, provided one drives sensibly.

Both my Dad and I are tall. Im 6.2 and he is 5.11. The front seats are super comfy and padded and there is plenty of headroom and legroom. The back seats are comfortably padded and have sufficient legroom. Despite being 6.2, if I lean into the rear seat cushions, I have no problem with the headroom at all. I like the capacious and deep bootspace. One can stuff in all manner of things in it. There is plenty of cabin storage and all your essentials are always within easy reach. The sound system and touch screen interface are perfectly fine if not cutting edge. Apple car play works well with its wire.
The bluetooth phone feature works comfortably. All the functions do what they are supposed to in a fuss free manner.

I have driven this car a few times on the highway with the Yokos on and it was a comfortable and stable drive. But the CVT gearbox is perpetually hunting for the right gear.

I tend to drive it on the highways permanently in S ‘Mode’ just to hold the gears longer. It is not a speed demon and I would not drive it at higher speeds than a comfortable 100-110kmph. The L mode I use only to slow down if approaching a long sweeping curve or downward slope.

After putting the Perfinzas on, the grip, handling, cornering and braking are vastly improved in the city and this is absolutely evident when on the highways. There is no road noise any more and wet conditions are handled well. These tyres make all the difference to the car. From Good to Great, if I may.

However, this car is not really a driving enthusiast’s choice. It is much more a comfortable commuter and cruiser than a driver’s car. At higher speeds on a highway like the BLR NICE Road, if there is even a light cross wind, one can feel the car getting a bit unsettled. It has a very light build quality.

But honestly it is a no nonsense, humble, absolutely trouble free vehicle. Reliable. Easy to use. Inexpensive to maintain. Efficient service from Toyota- the car is given for its annual servicing in the morning and it returns all pucca by 4pm. (The service falls due in June so we just got it done 2 weeks ago or so).

It has its own merits so I will not dismiss it lightly at all. It appeals to the standard conventional-minded person. Or to a retired person like my Dad who likes the quiet life and the relative anonymity of this car and its great comfort. Yes he does say at times that it would have been nice to have more power on tap but otherwise he has expressed nothing but comfort and contentment with the Glanza. It is definitely a choice which says to the world that you’re a ‘sensible, quiet, middle of the road, comfort and reliability-oriented person’.

So hopefully the above will help you clarify your mind as to what you want more.
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 08:44   #14

Is the Baleno an automatic or manual? If it is manual, then go for Ecosport for sure. You sold civic for easy ingress/egress and Ecosport is much better than Baleno here. The TDCi is a robust engine and 35k is not a concern at all.

If the Baleno is automatic and you are coming from a Civic AT, then it makes slightly more sense if you want to keep the convince of AT.
akkosetto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 17:01   #15

Quick Update - The gentleman to whom we paid the token amount for the EcoSport turned out to be a really unprofessional guy. He was my uncle's neighbor and that's how I got to know about this car in the first place. We did think of the Baleno as well but that idea ended even before I could make a move. However, we decided to go ahead with the EcoSport but this gentleman kept making excuses & delaying the delivery to a week.

A month went by but he was still making excuses. We decided not to go ahead with him and started looking for other cars on OLX.

I saw 2 Honda Jazz (CVT): first car was a direct owner vehicle; the price quoted was 6.5 lakhs for a 2017 model with close to 40k kms on the odo. The engine was fine but there were lots of places where the car had been repainted (doors & boot) and even the front suspensions might have needed some work. Overall it seemed the car was abused. Walked away after two test drives.

The second Jazz that I saw was at a dealer's place, it was a clean vehicle but he quoting an unrealistic price. Hence walked away.

Suddenly one evening my uncle called and told me that he came across a 2018 CIAZ AT with 30k kms on the odo and that it is an owner looking to sell and that he is not interested in selling to any dealers like Cars24 or Spinny. We immediately setup the meeting and went to see the car. It was genuine vehicle with full service history and was sparsely used. The owner was a English professor at an Engineering college and planning to shift to US (at least that's what he told me).

Took the test drive, loved it, agreed on the price but I kept a condition that I will move ahead with the deal only after getting it inspected from Maruti ASS and getting a go-ahead from them. Guy was reluctant at first and was insisted on getting a trusted mechanic to his place and get it inspected. I didn't budge and he finally agreed and accompanied us to the Maruti ASS. Maruti ASC charged 2500/- for the inspection which I felt was a bit high but got the inspection done; got a go-ahead from them as a very good vehicle. But there were some vibrations in the steering over bad roads; ASS guy did acknowledge that there is a small play in steering rack but mentioned it doesn't need immediate attention as of now and can be changed during the annual service. Thanked the guy and left the ASS.

Closed the deal with the gentleman and very good price. I have driven it 2k kms since I purchased it in September and I love the car every time I take it out for a spin. Will make a separate thread on the driving experience.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th December 2022 at 17:24. Reason: Post formatting

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks