Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2022, 23:30   #1

30-lakh budget | What to replace my reliable workhorse Corolla Altis with?

Hi Team-BHPians,

I have been a long time lurker and this is my first post here. I am looking for recommendations to test drive & check out a replacement car from the people best suited to provide them. Don't let me down!

Car to be replaced
2012 Toyota Corolla Altis G Diesel ~ driven 1.5 lac kms (it has been a reliable work horse all these years, but big replacements such as suspension, steering rack are now due and I am being quoted > 1 lacs for this, hence thinking of replacing it a few years before it was orginially planned)

Budget ~ 30 lacs OTR (stretchable for the right car)

Preferred Features
- Sedan preferred, will live with a Compact SUV (since it opens up a lot more options)
- Safety is paramount - beyond the buzz words & cool features, the overall build must be robust and high quality. Metal coffins are out of the question.
- Automatic transmission is a must
- Hybrid or EV is highly preferred (can go for a conventional engine only if the realistic FE is upwards of 20 kmpl in the city)
- Ride Quality & Handling should be sedan-esque, easy to change lanes/overtake at high speeds or curves
- NVH must be on the lower side (the voice in calls taken while driving should be clear & without much bg noise for the person on the other side)
- Engine & Driving Performance must be better or at least at par with the 2012 Toyota Corolla Altis G Diesel (we are clearly not petrolheads )
- Ventilated seats are highly, highly preferred (would make this a mandatory need if it didn't considerably cut down the list of options)
- Reversing Camera is a must
- Android Auto is highly preferred with a touchscreen > 10 inches
- I am not an after-market guy, so would prefer if these features in the stock model
- Typically 2 persons will be travelling, sometimes 3/4. Back seat legroom or boot space need to be adequate but are not deal breakers

I am indifferent to any other feature not mentioned - sunroof, 360 degree camera, wireless charging, parking sensors et al. I will not rate the car higher or lower with/without these features.

Lifecycle Ownership Related Needs
- Self driven, so the car must be robust (I am a harsh driver, so clutch/tires/brake pads wear out quicker than normal) and not prone to breakdowns
- Must be reliable enough - should not be in the garange too much beyond the planned servicing (I am willing to drop to 90% of toyota levels for the right car since I will have backup)
- Annual running of 12-15k kms per year
- Plan to keep the car for 7 to 10 years, so long term reliability needed without shelling out a bomb over the lifecycle

X-Factor
We also intend to replace a 2013 Honda Brio 1.2 S(O) with a small automatic hatchback mainly for city runs, easy to manouver in Mumbai and easy to park (won't run more than 4k kms per year). Bonus points (and budget stretch) if this and the above requirements can be merged in a single car.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
adnankw is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 08:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 30-lakh budget | What to replace my reliable workhorse Corolla Altis with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnankw View Post
2012 Toyota Corolla Altis G Diesel ~ driven 1.5 lac kms (it has been a reliable work horse all these years, but big replacements such as suspension, steering rack are now due and I am being quoted > 1 lacs for this, hence thinking of replacing it a few years before it was orginially planned)
All are expected repairs, as the car ages. Please do read my article on repairing vs replacing.

Would've suggested the Octavia to you, but with your high running + Corolla experience, a Skoda isn't for you. Long-term reliability will always be suspect. Unfortunately, in the 30-lakh space, sedans are a dying breed. You will have to go the crossover route. Since you are open to EVs, take a spin in the MG ZS EV, I can guarantee that you will become an instant convert and it is currently the best EV on sale in India <50 lakhs. I would recommend your checking out the XUV700 (long waiting though), new & upcoming Tucson (will be a truly premium experience) & Compass / Meridian. Also test-drive the Innova Crysta AT.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 08:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Corolla can go longer with a few new parts, but it is underpowered and has an MT.

My suggestion would be a used Camry Hybrid with low mileage.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 08:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

I suggest going with a new Toyota. A strong hybrid Hyryder or a petrol Crysta, depending on your preference for body styles. I think Hyryder's strong hybrid is the best option for you since you have enough running to rule out a pure petrol option like Crysta.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Very few cars for this unique set of requirements. As GTO said, take a good long drive of the ZS EV. Pretty sure you’ll love the driving experience. But see if your family is OK with the raised floor at the back. Rear seat comfort is not comparable with the lounge like Altis. Otherwise, the car is excellent.

Your only other options are the Honda City hybrid and the upcoming Toyota Hyryder strong hybrid. Your affinity for sedans makes the City a top choice. It’s back seat is excellent in terms of space and seating, and is the closest you’ll get to your old Toyota. Driving experience is also good. Smooth and refined, and you can be sure of 20kmpl + in city traffic.

No conventional engine can give you 20kmpl in city. Most will average around half of that.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:35   #6
Team-BHP Support

You’ve got a really high FE bar (20 kmpl in the city) so I’m limiting suggestions based on that:

Why don’t you consider a Camry hybrid if you can manage to get a used one which is less than 4 years old. Try and get one which is similar to the current shape. It is a modern, reliable and comfortable sedan which hardly any new car will be able to match with your stated requirements list. It’ll have a solid 7-10 year ownership potential even if its 3 - 4 years old at the time of purchase. Only problem is that most Camry owners tend to hold their rides for a really long time.

If that is not acceptable, agree that sedan options are limited and your next set of considerations could be:

1. MG ZS EV
2. Toyota Hyryder strong hybrid (or its Maruti equivalent but since you’ve had a great experience with the Toyota brand I assume you may prefer staying in that ecosystem).
3. Honda City strong hybrid.

Most of the strong hybrids however come with significant limitations on usable boot space so do consider if that works. If range anxiety is not an issue, the MG ZS EV would actually be my top recommendation - assuming of course you’re not keen on the used Camry.

X Factor query:
As for the Brio, I’d say if its just running 4K kms per year, hang on to it till it falls off its legs. No point selling this for next to nothing and losing the advantage of a second car at your disposal, even if its for the odd couple of days your car goes for service or when both of you need a car each on the rare occasion. I’d say just hang on to this one.

Last edited by Axe77 : 8th August 2022 at 09:39.
Axe77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

This is called the Toyota upgrade dilemma. lol.

I have a 2009 Altis with 97K kms on it. Absolutely no replacement I can think of even with so many new cars being launched.

The City is nowhere as well built and solid as the Corolla. The Slavia and Virtus are nice options but will never be as trouble free as the Toyota. The 1L is a downgrade in refinement from a Corolla and the 1.5L TSI is scary with the DQ200 DSG. The closest I got to liking something as a replacement was the Honda City e:HEV. It felt really good but tinny vs the Corolla still. That was the only compromise I could see.

The second option I considered was a XL6 but the engine was so lack luster vs the peppy Corolla 1.8L VVTi unit. It was a proper downgrade in performance and the overall MPVish stance though much improved wasn't as sophisticated as the Corolla.

Now I'm left with waiting for Urban Cruiser Hyryder full hybrid as a potential replacement. If it is comfortable and well built, the plan is to sell the Corolla and Ecosport both and get that.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th August 2022 at 09:56.
Vid6639 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

With 20 kmpl in city driving conditions requirement, you have pretty much knocked out all the products in that segment (above and below too). I don't think an EV (hybrid) with your requirements in on sale in India in that price range. Maybe you should check out the MG Astor EV ZS variant which can offer a lot of what you are asking. But again a pure EV will fail you on the range and given MGs wafer thin dealer network, I don't think that's a great option.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Spending 1L plus for repairs of the Corolla and make it to good shape is a better proposition than to spend 30L on a new car, if Corolla meets your requirements.
sagarpadaki is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 23:52   #10
BHPian

Your requirements narrow the list quite alot. So I would keep the post short. My list would go like this in order of preference.
1. Toyota Camry Hybrid- your budget constraints you to look in the pre worshipped market. But finding one is a different cup of tea/coffee altogether. Is the budget stretchable for a new Camry??
2. Honda City e:Hev for the sedan manners and great mileage. I drove one a fell in love with it. Specially the braking dynamics.
3. MG ZS EV.
4. Toyota Hyryder.

I think you should thoroughly test drive all the above cars and then arrive at your decision.

Regards
Laidbackakki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 23:57   #11
BHPian

A Skoda Octavia seems to fit the bill for you, but cannot say about the long term reliability. It is worth it, if you are willing to take that chance.

You could also go for the Slavia 1.5 TSI but I'd recommend the manual gearbox instead of the DSG to stay on the safer side.
Siddy_1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 00:26   #12
BHPian

My suggestions:

1. If you want upgrade in the overall experience, get the preowned Camry Hybrid (current generation) which can fit into budget of 30L

2. If a lateral upgrade is acceptable to you, MG ZS EV is the one you can consider. I am calling this as a lateral upgrade because you will get more features and a well sorted EV but you will loose on some fundamentals like space, ride quality, comfort and probably reliability compared to the corolla.

3. You can consider keeping your Corolla for few more years if it satisfies your requirements. In that case expenses of 1L is a no brainer here over spending 30 L for a new car.
46TheDoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 07:04   #13
BHPian

If you are keen about a strong Hybrid, I wouldn't call a HyRyder an upgrade to your current ride, rather a downgrade. For a Hybdrid, a wait for a couple of years could be helpful, as the grapevine indicates that Toyota would be bringing 2L 4 cylinder Hybrid next year, and market could be more ripe with bigger engine hybrid options from competition as well.

Likewise, with so many EVs in the premium range expected in the next couple years, so again wait, if you can.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 12:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Realistic fuel efficiency of > 20 kmpl in Mumbai city, knocks out almost all options.
Only thing you can go within 30 lakhs is EV or may be City hybrid. But then you lose out on your other parameters. Suggest you prioritise your requirements first - what is must have, nice to have and can be avoided.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 13:54   #15
BHPian

I will suggest something slightly unconventional to you.

Why don't you consider the Kia Sonet in Diesel AT guise?

It checks almost all your boxes.

While it is not the safest car, build is robust.
The engine is sweet for its size.
The AT is quite good.
FE is sufficient.
Ride quality is quite good.
It has ventilated seats, reverse camera, Android Auto, and a >10 inch touchscreen.

It has enough space for 2 people.

Bonus: It can also be used for city runs with easy maneuverability!
bansal.sushant is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks