Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 12:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: City-Beater under 7 Lakh OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post

Wagon R is the one which i recommend. There are good discounts being offered on it + the new three pot is significantly quieter and carries a good resale value for the next couple of years. If you need only a 4 potter, swift or baleno sigma seem to be a good choice.
WagonR also has the option of 1.2 L 4 cylinder engine.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 13:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Get the Honda Jazz CVT, it's spacious/comfortable on the inside compact on the outside and a reliable runabout hatch.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 13:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malyaj View Post
I would recommend the Honda Jazz. The CVT would be just over 10 L in Goa. Fuss free ownership, great space and a decent all rounder. Stretching for Brezza / Kiger base variant is not a good idea IMHO, as they don't come with the all important rear wiper, which you will badly need in Goa monsoons.
I second this opinion. I have Jazz in my family and the car is seriously underrated as compared to its rivals. No close competition when it comes to design, looks, space management, fit and finesse, reliability, mileage, fun to drive factor and a butter smooth CVT.

Please buy that and forget all future ownership worries: niggles, visit to service centers, service cost etc. + you have peace of mind in going anywhere.
UD17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 13:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Get the Honda Jazz CVT, it's spacious/comfortable on the inside compact on the outside and a reliable runabout hatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
I second this opinion. I have Jazz in my family and the car is seriously underrated as compared to its rivals.
Honda has confirmed they are going to discontinue the Jazz.
No issues come up in the first 3 years on a beater car. The issues start after year 3.

The problems with Jazz are,

- Face shortage/expensive spares (after 3 years, when its production discontinued in 2022/3). Spares cost shoots up once a car gets discontinued. Manufacturer will ensure the spares are available, but the cost is not guaranteed.
- Huge hit on depreciation.
- Perception in society on using a discontinued car. Trust me, people do care what you drive.

I fully agree its a wonderful beautiful looking & well built car, but the reasons mentioned above would say to avoid it. Why take any financial/support risk?
Mustang_Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 17:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvonnee View Post
After having a good long test drive and reading numerous reviews, I felt the Ignis to be really good in terms of giving a nice premium feel and having that Mini SUV look. The Wagon R sure did seem larger in terms of the Boot Space and the overall cabin did feel airy too, but does not come with Adjustable headrests for even the driver and co-driver forget even for rear passengers which put me off a bit. Even under-thigh support is not the great. The ride quality of both the Ignis and Wagon R was really good and soaked up bumps very well. The Nios was rejected due to stiffer suspension which made rear passengers unsettled on bad roads. (Maybe it's just my observation)Now, going by the way Maruti Suzuki has been updating its line up with the new DualJet Petrol Engines, it's put me in a dilemma whether to go in for the Ignis or wait for a facelift or for the Ignis to be updated with the DualJet engine. Can these heavy discounts mean that Ignis stocks are being cleared off and an updated Ignis is on the cards?
Looking forward to what experts on Team-Bhp have to say on this.
Bootspace is not my concern, as I have the big car for highway drives. Space felt ok in the Ignis, as per reviews. We can adjust with the black interiors as the big one also has it.
I do not think the Nios would have a very stiff suspension, especially after bearing drives in the Seltos.
I hope that the Ignis does get a facelift news so that more discounts show up causing price depreciation. Hope it is not due to discontinuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivethThyBeans View Post
I can vouch for Ignis AMT, a good tall hatch with a nice peppy engine. No complaints so far with 25k odo in last 2 years.
Thanks for that. Looks like the Ignis seems reliable, compared to our Nano.

Quote:
Wagon R is the one which i recommend. There are good discounts being offered on it + the new three pot is significantly quieter and carries a good resale value for the next couple of years. If you need only a 4 potter, swift or baleno sigma seem to be a good choice.
Is the WagonR better than the Ignis or does it offer more value than it? Right now it is in the secondary list, but I will try to give it more consideration now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
WagonR also has the option of 1.2 L 4 cylinder engine.
Yes, I know that. But it is a little pricey for the value it offers. For me, the Ignis gives better value.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
I second this opinion. I have Jazz in my family and the car is seriously underrated as compared to its rivals. No close competition when it comes to design, looks, space management, fit and finesse, reliability, mileage, fun to drive factor and a butter smooth CVT.
Please buy that and forget all future ownership worries: niggles, visit to service centers, service cost etc. + you have peace of mind in going anywhere.
I will try to push for the base automatic. Hopefully discounts are available, but the discontinuation issue has not left me yet.

Quote:
Honda has confirmed they are going to discontinue the Jazz.
No issues come up in the first 3 years on a beater car. The issues start after year 3.

The problems with Jazz are,

- Face shortage/expensive spares (after 3 years, when its production discontinued in 2022/3). Spares cost shoots up once a car gets discontinued. Manufacturer will ensure the spares are available, but the cost is not guaranteed.
- Huge hit on depreciation.
- Perception in society on using a discontinued car. Trust me, people do care what you drive.

I fully agree its a wonderful beautiful looking & well built car, but the reasons mentioned above would say to avoid it. Why take any financial/support risk?
Can anyone tell me how to post a poll? Do the mods do it, or do I have to do something? Please help.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Last edited by MADisMynAMe : 8th September 2022 at 17:13.
MADisMynAMe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 17:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, Wow You really have high expectations from a 'beater car'! Jazz itna bekaar nahi hai, Boss! Don't worry about depreciation, car prices are shooting through the roof: by the time you sell the Jazz, Swift will be retailing at Rs 12- 15 L OTR!
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 17:45   #22
BHPian

Ignis Zeta ticks all your checklist except may be of space and has all the features you are looking for.
n33rav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 18:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, Wow You really have high expectations from a 'beater car'! Jazz itna bekaar nahi hai, Boss! Don't worry about depreciation, car prices are shooting through the roof: by the time you sell the Jazz
I owned a discontinued car for more than 3 years and i know what i had to go through. The suspension prices were doubled. All spares were doubled in price. We are taking of Palio, when punto was launched. My friend, who owns a Ford Figo Aspire always discusses whats next for him because, his car price fell drastically.

The current market shouldn't be considered to evaluate used car prices. We are living in a chips shortage market, which was heavily boosted by the governments. Things will change soon.

With respect to safety, we all advocate so passionately to stick to 5* cars. Why not do the same with car purchase, which retains its value?
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 22:41   #24
BHPian

I know you have budget constraints, but given the condition of the roads, where the world is headed (read SUVs), I would recommend getting a mainstream sub 4m sub-compact SUV. Something cheap, a lower variant of Tata Punch, Nissan Magnite or Renault Kiger perhaps.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 02:51   #25
BHPian

My pick would be the Grand i10 NIOS Corporate Edition for the following reasons:
1) Butter smooth 4 cylinder engine.
2) Decent power for doing in-city duties.
3) Smooth gearbox with ratios well suited to city traffic.
4) Steering feedback is a whole lot better compared to the previous gen and is a pleasure to use. Makes the job of parking in tough spots easier as well as being up to the task on those highway drives.
5) The Corporate variant is very well kitted for the price and is an absolute bang for the buck.
6) The suspension although just a little on the hard side, offers a compliant ride for a vehicle of its size.
7) Offers great legroom, both at the front and at the rear.
8) Powerful air conditioning chills the cabin in no time even in peak summers. The rear seats get aircon vents too.
9) Comes factory fitted with a Bluetooth enabled touchscreen entertainment system complete with steering mounted controls and 4 speakers.
10) A very comfortable rear seat bench, even more comfortable than the front seats.
11) Although subjective, the car does look the part especially in Aqua Teal and Typhoon Silver shades.
12) The boot is decently sized.
13) Height adjustable driver seats coupled with tilt adjustable steering wheel would help you find a suitable driving position in no time.
14) The interiors look gorgeous and can beat cars from a class above. The cabin is a sufficiently quiet place to be in.
15) The said variant retails at around 7.01 lacs (on-road Delhi prices) excluding discounts which typically run in the range of about 17-23k (For the month of September, Hyundai is offering around Rs 10k cash+10k exchange+ 3k corporate discount but you can try and bargain for some more too). This one would fit perfectly well within your budget.

Some of the shortcoming of the car are as follows:
1) I found the front seating to be a bit less in terms of its width.
2) Non-adjustable head rests.
3) The engine is not the best when it comes to setting fuel efficiency records. Expect a real world mileage between 14-16 kmpl in-city with air-conditioner running at all times. The same touches 18-20 kmpl on highways.
4) The engine again is not as free revving as say the K12 from MSIL and has relaxed manners.
5) Hyundai service costs are a little on the higher side.

Do take a test drive of all the cars south of 7 lacs on-road and I am sure you'll end up picking this one up from the entire lot. Its quite an underrated car which sells in good numbers for all the good reasons.

Last edited by Herschey : 10th September 2022 at 02:53.
Herschey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 08:03   #26
BHPian

I was on a similar situation a month ago to get one for my wife’s office commute as they have started asking people to join back in a phased manner.

Went and checked all possible options within 7 Lakh budget. Since we have a Honda City 5th generation (CVT) [2021] (used as a family car) and a RE Classic 350 (2022) [Used for my office commute and for dropping my son at school] we were cautious about not burning a hole in our pockets.

The requirement was to have an Automatic Transmission, ABS, EBD, Airbags. We checked MS Celerio, Wagon R, Swift, Ignis and Renault Kwid. Realised that we are getting a relatively better deals which were 50% less in the pre loved space.

Started looking into it seriously and did multiple TDs from CARS24 and Spinny. Got hold of a 2017 Renault Kwid Automatic with 21k on ODO for 4.2 L OTR Bangalore from Cars 24. Upgraded the infotainment with Blaupunkt Newyork 750 for Apple CarPlay (18k), upgraded the seats and steering covers with Nappa leather (12k) and now feel like we have made the right decision. Saved ~3.5 Lakhs compared to buying a new one and serves the purpose and more for being a City Beater Car.

You can consider such options too. Make sure you take them to the mechanic you know to check the engine and for other accident damage. CARS24 never sells accidental cars. But for peace of mind I ensured it from my mechanic.

Regards
Vasanth

Last edited by vasi_raju : 10th September 2022 at 08:08. Reason: Added content
vasi_raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 10:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
I know you have budget constraints, but given the condition of the roads, where the world is headed (read SUVs), I would recommend getting a mainstream sub 4m sub-compact SUV. Something cheap, a lower variant of Tata Punch, Nissan Magnite or Renault Kiger perhaps.
If it's a sub 4m SUV, then the Kiger is on top for us from the above options listed. The Magnite is second and the Punch would be considered only in manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschey View Post
My pick would be the Grand i10 NIOS Corporate Edition for the following reasons:
1) Butter smooth 4 cylinder engine.
2) Decent power for doing in-city duties.
3) Smooth gearbox with ratios well suited to city traffic.
4) Steering feedback is a whole lot better compared to the previous gen and is a pleasure to use. Makes the job of parking in tough spots easier as well as being up to the task on those highway drives.
5) The Corporate variant is very well kitted for the price and is an absolute bang for the buck.
6) The suspension although just a little on the hard side, offers a compliant ride for a vehicle of its size.
7) Offers great legroom, both at the front and at the rear.
8) Powerful air conditioning chills the cabin in no time even in peak summers. The rear seats get aircon vents too.
9) Comes factory fitted with a Bluetooth enabled touchscreen entertainment system complete with steering mounted controls and 4 speakers.
10) A very comfortable rear seat bench, even more comfortable than the front seats.
11) Although subjective, the car does look the part especially in Aqua Teal and Typhoon Silver shades.
12) The boot is decently sized.
13) Height adjustable driver seats coupled with tilt adjustable steering wheel would help you find a suitable driving position in no time.
14) The interiors look gorgeous and can beat cars from a class above. The cabin is a sufficiently quiet place to be in.
15) The said variant retails at around 7.01 lacs (on-road Delhi prices) excluding discounts which typically run in the range of about 17-23k (For the month of September, Hyundai is offering around Rs 10k cash+10k exchange+ 3k corporate discount but you can try and bargain for some more too). This one would fit perfectly well within your budget.

Some of the shortcoming of the car are as follows:
1) I found the front seating to be a bit less in terms of its width.
2) Non-adjustable head rests.
3) The engine is not the best when it comes to setting fuel efficiency records. Expect a real world mileage between 14-16 kmpl in-city with air-conditioner running at all times. The same touches 18-20 kmpl on highways.
4) The engine again is not as free revving as say the K12 from MSIL and has relaxed manners.
5) Hyundai service costs are a little on the higher side.

Do take a test drive of all the cars south of 7 lacs on-road and I am sure you'll end up picking this one up from the entire lot. Its quite an underrated car which sells in good numbers for all the good reasons.
The Nios CE is a little above my budget OTR but I will try to adjust with the stretch provided the negatives don't be a deal breaker irl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_raju View Post
I was on a similar situation a month ago to get one for my wife’s office commute as they have started asking people to join back in a phased manner.

Went and checked all possible options within 7 Lakh budget. Since we have a Honda City 5th generation (CVT) [2021] (used as a family car) and a RE Classic 350 (2022) [Used for my office commute and for dropping my son at school] we were cautious about not burning a hole in our pockets.

The requirement was to have an Automatic Transmission, ABS, EBD, Airbags. We checked MS Celerio, Wagon R, Swift, Ignis and Renault Kwid. Realised that we are getting a relatively better deals which were 50% less in the pre loved space.

Started looking into it seriously and did multiple TDs from CARS24 and Spinny. Got hold of a 2017 Renault Kwid Automatic with 21k on ODO for 4.2 L OTR Bangalore from Cars 24. Upgraded the infotainment with Blaupunkt Newyork 750 for Apple CarPlay (18k), upgraded the seats and steering covers with Nappa leather (12k) and now feel like we have made the right decision. Saved ~3.5 Lakhs compared to buying a new one and serves the purpose and more for being a City Beater Car.

You can consider such options too. Make sure you take them to the mechanic you know to check the engine and for other accident damage. CARS24 never sells accidental cars. But for peace of mind I ensured it from my mechanic.

Regards
Vasanth
I do not know if we will be as happy with a second hand car as with a new one. However, if there is/are reliable options, I will try to go that way.
Thanks to everyone once again.
Old 24th September 2022, 10:28   #28
BHPian

Quick Update:
Our choices have been altered by quite a bit.
These are the new options:
1. Maruti WagonR
2. Maruti Celerio
3. Renault Kwid
Cars that are now out of consideration:
1. Maruti Alto K10: The car upon inspection didn't quite string our hearts. It felt like a mix of the A-Star and the Santro which we didn't like.
2. Maruti Ignis: We didn't like the looks, and the concern of discontinuation did not leave us.
3. Hyundai Grand I-10 Nios: The car was due for an update as per sources, so waiting for it would make no sense.
4. Renault Kiger: The car looked like a Maxi-Kwid (no offense) and the coupe-like stance was not liked that much in person. The price was also quite high.
5. Maruti Baleno: The car was simply too pricey for what it offered.
6. Maruti Brezza: The base Automatic didn't quite have the features we needed.
We are inclined on the WagonR 1.2L base automatic. The Celerio is next, and the Kwid is last.
For now, the options provided by you all others than this are being checked. Updates will be provided soon. Thank You.

Last edited by MADisMynAMe : 24th September 2022 at 10:30.
Old 24th September 2022, 11:22   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post
We are inclined on the WagonR 1.2L base automatic. The Celerio is next, and the Kwid is last.
For now, the options provided by you all others than this are being checked. Updates will be provided soon. Thank You.
The Wagon-R seems the best choice out of the three, but if you are stretching your budget above 7 lakhs, I would recommend you go for the 1.2 Litre AGS version of the Wagon-R rather than the 1.0 Litre AGS. the added power and torque would definitely help. the price difference isn't much either.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 11:31   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
The Wagon-R seems the best choice out of the three, but if you are stretching your budget above 7 lakhs, I would recommend you go for the 1.2 Litre AGS version of the Wagon-R rather than the 1.0 Litre AGS. the added power and torque would definitely help. the price difference isn't much either.
I second @bijims views here, the 1.2 Litre AGS is definitely the better pick and a much better 4-cylinder engine which also does duties on the Baleno, ignis, Swift etc.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks