Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2022, 10:33   #1
BHPian

Pre-owned car for family member within 6L

Hello all,
Posting this on behalf of a family member. She is looking for a pre-owned vehicle for her and 2 dogs.

Car requirements:
Petrol engine, with manual transmission. Hatchback preferred.

Required features:
Mandatory features: Power windows, Fold-down backseats, Adjustable headrest on the back seat, rear window wiper, good safety rating with at least 2 airbags, ABS/EBD, fog lamps, high seating for visibility, Good boot space and a good service network.

Good to have features:
Rear AC vents, High ground clearance for occasional bad road driving, option to easily add and remove carrier

All suggestions highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned car for family member within 6L

From what I've personally experienced, I think a used Ford Freestyle 1.2 petrol manual suits each of your requirements except possibly the service aspect and the rear headrests. I'm unaware of Ford's aftersales in Pune after their exit, but the car certainly matches all your criteria including ground clearance and visibility. It's also equipped with a lot of safety features.

This is just one of the many options available, it's just that I haven't experienced any other fitting candidates.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 13th September 2022 at 12:25.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:48   #3
BHPian

You can the check the Maruti Ignis. It ticks most of the requirements and with the current discounts, Delta will be within your budget.
lokesharo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

A Grand Vitara 2.4 liter is really the best vehicle money can buy for this task. It offers a good SUV like stance without being too large and cumbersome in parking lots, has good ergonomics to aid in the ease of drive-ability, the 2.4 liter petrol offers enough grunt and an excellent mid-range that one can exploit, it is Japanese so reliability is a given and parts are surprisingly easy to come by if you maintain a good relation with whichever the best Maruti workshop is in your city. Look out for something around 3-4lacs as you might have to spend 2 lacs on it at the authorized service center but once that's done you will have the best petrol hatch for dogs that 6 lacs can buy

If that option sounds too scary to you, then nothing can go wrong with a used Jazz.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 20:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
A Grand Vitara 2.4 liter is really the best vehicle money can buy for this task. It offers a good SUV like stance without being too large and cumbersome in parking lots, has good ergonomics to aid in the ease of drive-ability, the 2.4 liter petrol ..
I am in the market also so butting in.

Those on sale are from 2007-8. Being a petrol car and Japanese I don't worry about its reliability but what about the availability of parts?

Are they really really available or do one has to resort to JUGAAD? I don't want to hold the door with a string or open it only from the outside.
Old 13th September 2022, 23:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkalgaonkar View Post
I am in the market also so butting in.

Those on sale are from 2007-8. Being a petrol car and Japanese I don't worry about its reliability but what about the availability of parts?

Are they really really available or do one has to resort to JUGAAD? I don't want to hold the door with a string or open it only from the outside.
First of all 2007-8 ones will all invariably be 2.0 models since the 2.4 was only available in 2009 and beyond chassis. I'd suggest sticking to the 2.4 since it meets the demands of an SUV with a normally aspirated petrol motor while being just as efficient as the 2.0 one (either due to updated variable vale timing tech or because of overall improvement in mid range power distribution and tractability).

Coming to the parts aspect, I own a Kizashi and face no issue with parts. Also the service I get from Maruti workshops is nothing short of excellent; they will go out of their way to ensure a good experience if you drive any of the imported cars from Sagara. Once had to get a basic service done in the middle of a long road-trip and so I took it to the nearest service center in some small town where they even grounded the MDs Kizashi to donate parts like the oil filter for my car since they knew I needed the job done within 2 hours and not 2 days.

You may not get trained technicians in every workshop but they will be able to direct you to the workshop in your city that you must visit and there you will be treated like a king they will happily pick up and drop your car, complete a general service, give you a list of part numbers for things that need replacement, take your approval, order the parts and they usually don't take more than 2 weeks to arrive unless it is something obscure in which case it might take a month but they get it for sure, at which point they will call you, send someone to pick up the car, fit everything and drop it back and the service with these cars is very prompt mind you.

Only issue is sourcing the parts online if you're into DIYs and stuff like that also independent garages will have trouble sourcing the parts since Maruti won't give it to them as easily as if you go to the ASC. But the scene is definitely not as bad as you described no jugaad or anything like that you will get all the parts A-Z

Last edited by IshaanIan : 13th September 2022 at 23:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 12:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post

Car requirements:

Good to have features:
Rear AC vents, High ground clearance for occasional bad road driving, option to easily add and remove carrier
Petrol Nexon/ Brezza should suit her fine.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 19:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,
Posting this on behalf of a family member. She is looking for a pre-owned vehicle for her and 2 dogs.

Car requirements:

Required features:
Mandatory features: Power windows, Fold-down backseats, Adjustable headrest on the back seat, rear window wiper, good safety rating with at least 2 airbags, ABS/EBD, fog lamps, high seating for visibility, Good boot space and a good service network.

Good to have features:
Can you please add the following details:
  1. How many humans will use the car? 1 or 2 or would it be more than 2?
  2. Will the car be used for road trips or would it be used primarily for city runs?
  3. What is the budget?
  4. What are the sizes of the dogs?
  5. Is your friend a car person? Would she be able to handle frequent workshop visits?
  6. Priorities as a ordered list
    • Budget
    • Comfort of the dogs for long trips
    • Purpose of the car (city/long trips)
The current list of mandatory requirements can be a good car but isn't too dog specific . You may not find a hatchback with good boot space, high seating, petrol and good service network.
cooldip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 10:32   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for the good feedback and inputs.

The Grand Vitara will not be suitable as the prospective owner would prefer a newer model with short spares lead times (if required).

Will definitely check out the Nexon and Brezza.

Thanks for the detailed questionnaire, Cooldip. Some of the questions are answered in the original post, but answers are below in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post
Can you please add the following details:
  1. How many humans will use the car? 1 or 2 or would it be more than 2?: 1 or 2
  2. Will the car be used for road trips or would it be used primarily for city runs?: Primarily city runs with an occasional road trip.
  3. What is the budget?: 5-6L
  4. What are the sizes of the dogs?: 2 Indys (median sized)
  5. Is your friend a car person? Would she be able to handle frequent workshop visits?: She is not a car person and would prefer a hassle free ownership.
  6. Priorities as a ordered list
    • Budget: #1
    • Comfort of the dogs for long trips: A close #2
    • Purpose of the car (city/long trips)
The current list of mandatory requirements can be a good car but isn't too dog specific . You may not find a hatchback with good boot space, high seating, petrol and good service network.
Old 15th September 2022, 18:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking to transport two medium to large sized dogs, the bigger the vehicle, the better however if you are looking for something with absolute ease in sourcing spares for, it must have been manufactured locally at scale.

I feel a Brezza will not be large enough although dogs can be taken in it doubt they would find it roomy enough but at the same time most D-segment cars were sold here either as CBUs or through CKDs.

Might I suggest a petrol Innova? Yes the car was sold with a petrol engine. I have sat in a 1st gen Innova petrol and it was perfect. Completely removed the agricultural feeling one usually associates with these vehicles and the best bit is that it hardly sold yet remained an option made available by Toyota in India for their more discerning customers, so makes for a good deal in the second-hand market.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 22:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the detailed questionnaire, Cooldip. Some of the questions are answered in the original post, but answers are below in bold.
I have 2 large sized dogs and have used the VW Polo for a few years. It was largely a 2 person car at the time. We would tumble the rear seats and throw in a cotton mattress. It made an excellent dog car.

In terms of priorities. All comments are based on personal experiences.

Safety
  1. VW Polo - You can get a almost flat seat with the rear seats folded away
  2. Ford Ecosport - You can get a almost flat seat with the rear seats folded away
  3. Honda Jazz VXI upto MY 2018 -This is the only model which had full folding seats
  4. Suzuki Swift/Baleno - The rear seats don't fold away completely and create a step. You can fill up the step with a mattress
Ease of Ownership
  1. Suzuki Swift/Baleno - No one comes close here
  2. Honda Jazz VXI - Hondas are generally more reliable
  3. Ford Ecosport - Although reliable I've ranked it lower because of the whole Ford issue
  4. VW Polo - As much as I loved the car I hated the dealerships and the localized parts had horrible serviceable life
Comfort of the Dogs
  1. Ford Ecosport - It has the most amount of space and a brilliant AC
  2. Can't really differentiate the others
All cars listed are in the 2013 or newer range for the 6 lakh price bracket. I'm assuming you are looking in Pune
  1. VW Polo Highline - >2015 with not very high mileage
  2. Honda Jazz VXI (Black interiors) - >2015 with not very high mileage
  3. Ford Ecosport - 2013/14 with not very high mileage
  4. Baleno Alpha - > 2016 with not very high mileage
cooldip is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 00:25   #12
BHPian

I'd look for a Spinny / OLX / CarDekho certified Renault Lodgy however it is available only in diesel. Loads of space and ticks almost all your boxes.
Old 20th September 2022, 13:16   #13
BHPian

Thanks all for your valuable inputs and feedback. Will keep the group posted on her final purchase decision.
Old 20th September 2022, 17:17   #14
BHPian

@Mustang Sammy: pls check out Honda BRV.There are some good used ones listed on spinny. Pls check out their Pune/ Mumbai page.

It has good engine and excellent reliability. Also, oodles of space for the dogs.

Last edited by Samegoodkid : 20th September 2022 at 17:18.
Samegoodkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 19:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would add the Etios Liva VX/Etios Cross V to the list.
Ticks all the primary requirements. 4Star NCAP rating, spacious rear, good visibility, rear wiper, THREE adjustable head rests + 3 point seat belts in the back, fog lights, abs+ebd, airbags, Height adjustable steering and seat (only in top trim) and excellent toyota service. As long as you are willing to put up with the not so fancy interiors.

Here's the ownership report from my Liva i picked up earlier this year
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-report.html (Pre-owned 2017 Toyota Etios Liva | Ownership Report)

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th September 2022 at 19:07.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks