Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2022, 19:00   #1
BHPian

Fun-to-drive, used car for 20-lakh rupees

I am making this post to generate ideas for my next car purchase. Please bear with me as I am also not sure what I want

Currently, I am driving a pre-owned, 2013 petrol automatic Honda City. It has served me well with its rock-solid reliability and incredible value proposition. I bought it just before the pandemic, so I didn't have to drive much.

The itch now is that since we have started traveling, I am bored to tears of this car. I am especially tired of its boat-like movement on Bangalore's roads where you can feel its yaw, pitch, and roll individually, and sometimes even all of them at the same time. I am so miffed; I am not even looking at sedans this time. Fun speeds on open highways are also not an option. As my wife once remarked jokingly, a car named “City” shouldn't mean to be taken to the “Highway”!

Now, the constraint is that I can't spend more than 20L. It also means I am fine if I use it for the next 3 years/30000 KM. Not only that, I am not too worried about depreciation and mileage too. Maintenance should be predictable and within reasonable limits, but more than that, I can't afford any wait, hassle, or the sinking feeling of owning a ticking time bomb. I think these criteria eliminate all luxury or more than 5 years/50K driven cars. However, I am not in a rush and can definitely wait a few more months for a car so good; it forces my lazy self to go outdoors.

In my initial research, a used Jeep Compass seems to fit the bill. Its test drive blew me away. The car is very, very sorted mechanically. I loved its German car-like handling and driving dynamics. It seems perfect for Bangalore roads with its multi-link, independent suspensions. The space is small, but we can live with it. Yes, and I need “The” panoramic sunroof. My family thinks, and I—reluctantly—agree, that the car is so small inside that it might feel claustrophobic without a sunroof. Obviously, the kid also has a vote, and it has been cast firmly in favor of the sunroof. I test-drove a manual version too, but halfway into it, I realized I am a convert to AT. Though GTO's rating of 7/10 for diesel AT is playing in my mind, I think if I have to let go of one thing, this could be it. I am not *that* keen an enthusiast.

As you can see, the first feedback I require is whether I am asking too much for too little money?

I checked and seems that a 2019 Limited Plus Diesel AT compass fits my requirements well. However, I need a few ideas to explore:

- How is the compass's long-term reliability and maintenance pattern? I will try not to compare it with the City.
- What other cars should I look at? I am sure I missed quite a few good contenders.
- How does the search for a specific model work? I am checking Spinny/Cars24/Olx/Team-BHP classifieds. Anything else I should check?
- I am aware that I might have already decided on the compass, but just looking for validation. Still, please go ahead and help a brother out.
shobhit.shri is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 19:30   #2
BHPian

re: Fun-to-drive, used car for 20-lakh rupees

The Compass is a good car. I’d say get it if the driving dynamics are the most important, and the space can be managed. I wouldn’t call it too small as well.

If you really can manage small and impractical ( in terms of space), but want a fast car, I would suggest a GTI to you. It is a pretty quick car.
omar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 21:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
What other cars should I look at? I am sure I missed quite a few good contenders.
If your purposes doesn't really require an SUV, I would suggest you to have a look at the prev-gen Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI also. Compared to the Compass, an Octavia would be a lot more car for your money. Well-maintained facelift examples costs somewhere between ₹ 15-18 lakh depending on number of owners, variant and odo reading. The 2.0-litre TDI diesel is gem of an engine, it is so fast, torquey, and decently fuel-efficient too. 6-Speed DSG DQ250 automatic which comes coupled with the 2.0 TDI is far more reliable than the problematic DQ200 on 1.8 TSI petrol.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 08:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
I wouldn’t call it too small as well.

If you really can manage small and impractical ( in terms of space), but want a fast car, I would suggest a GTI to you.
Yes, now I realize that I might have been too harsh on judging the space inside the compass.

GTI would be incredible, but not sure I can live with its space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyfiesta View Post
If your purposes doesn't really require an SUV, I would suggest you to have a look at the prev-gen Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI also.
I am inclined towards SUVs because of Bangalore's roads. Till now, I have always owned sedans. My first car was a Skoda Rapid, and it was glorious on open highways. Will check the Octavia too, but I am not sure how it behaves on terrible roads.
shobhit.shri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 10:07   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fun-to-drive, used car for 20-lakh rupees

Love these used fun-to-drive car threads .

The Compass Diesel AT is good & fun. The AT does the job and isn't a deal-breaker, but this varies from person to person. Just ensure you take a long test-drive and that you are okay with the AT's behaviour.

Other cars I'd recommend to you:

- 3rd-gen Octavia - all the info you need is here (Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)). Other than the DSG (issue with the petrol, not so much with the diesel), I don't see any deal breaker with this car.

- BMW 3-Series. More reliable than you'd expect & certainly more reliable than the Octavia or perhaps even the Compass. But you should still be prepared to shell out money from time to time to keep her in top shape. No cutting corners with these cars.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 10:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Although this seems like the perfect case for a used Octavia or even a Laura that you can throw money at with suspension upgrades, you have mentioned that you're looking for an SUV I am not sure that a Compass would equal "predictable" maintenance (there are a few horror stories on our forum itself). Why not consider something like a Honda CR-V instead? It would be a lot more reliable, and if you go for an older generation model, you might even have some spare change to upgrade the suspension with
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other than the DSG (issue with the petrol, not so much with the diesel), I don't see any deal breaker with this car.

- BMW 3-Series.
- Thanks, I will definitely check out the Octavia. However, I find it tricky that the diesel misses out on multi-link suspension and petrol has DSG issues.

- BMW 3-series costs a minimum of 30L in Bangalore's used car market and is way beyond my budget. I guess I will have to postpone joy for a little while longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Why not consider something like a Honda CR-V instead? It would be a lot more reliable, and if you go for an older generation model, you might even have some spare change to upgrade the suspension with
Thanks, didn't think of CR-V at all. Does the suspension upgrade really make a vast difference in all the cars? When I was searching around for my current Honda City, a workshop owner suggested that they are worth trying only on specific cars!
Old 10th November 2022, 19:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Octavia TDi AT should fit in your requirements easily. I know every review talks about how the diesel AT misses out on the multilink suspension but it's not a deal breaker like it's portrayed. I drive a Laura and have driven the octy diesel on numerous occasions. Definitely not a deal breaker for regular use or even aggressive driving. If you are still keen on the independent suspension at the rear, try looking for a 2016-17 superb TDi AT or the Tiguan comfortline.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 20:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Low run Octavia TDI makes perfect case for you. Unless you take sharp turns back to back in Octavia TSI and TDI you would not find difference in the suspension set up. But at slow speed TDI is more stiffer than TSI and hence the high speed stability on straight is also better in TDI.
If you still want better performance, upgrade the suspension. Mine is running on B6 and I can tell you the handling, high speed stability is just top notch. This coming from a person whose previous car was Fiesta 1.6s (obviously no comparison on steering feel though, 1.6s was out of this world )

Car is super reliable (not a single breakdown in 7 years and 75k kms), very practical and versatile. Stock itself is faster than most of the cars under 50 lakhs and a simple stage 1 transforms completely.

If SUV is a definite requirement suggest you look for a Compass or Tiguan TDI, though Tiguan might be hard to find at 20 lakhs in Bangalore.
sunikkat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 22:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
- However, I find it tricky that the diesel misses out on multi-link suspension
There are several cars out in the world with torsion beam suspension setups that behave better than cars with IRS. It is not just down to the suspension type alone. While an IRS is definitely superior, other things also matter (Chassis tuning, wheel geometry, body style, wheelbase, CG, tyres, etc.).

Closer to home, an Octavia with a torsion beam has better road manners any day compared to a Compass or XUV700. Simply because it sits closer to the ground, has a stiff monocoque and the chassis engineers have exploited these attributes and set it up well.

All the best with your search!

Last edited by ashivas89 : 10th November 2022 at 22:31.
ashivas89 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 23:16   #11
BHPian

• Spinny/Cars24 - A few cars I checked with them in the past had major mechanical issues but their report (obviously prepared by themselves) said everything is perfect so I would avoid them at any cost. Especially, if you are spending 20 lakhs

• Compass Limited plus diesel AT – Unlike other variants of Compass, diesel AT is rare to find in Bangalore. For limited plus diesel AT, it may take even more time.

• Used Tuscon diesel GLS AT AWD could be another option. Although the car is outdated, it is more practical than Compass.
swoosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 09:12   #12
BHPian

If you are willing to stretch your budge by little bit say around 25 lakhs then you might find a used X5 2014/15 model for that range.

It will be fun to drive although I am not too sure about the maintenance part. Other members might shed more light on this.
FourBanger is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 09:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
BMW 3-series costs a minimum of 30L in Bangalore's used car market and is way beyond my budget. I guess I will have to postpone joy for a little while longer.
If age of the vehicle doesn't matter, it's quite possible to find used pre-LCI F30 3 Series within your budget. Compact and capable, the F30 320d offers a lot of value for not a lot of money. The 4-pot diesel offers the right balance between performance and practicality, but this engine sounds unusually loud by premium car standards. A simple remap on the 320d takes you well into 530d performance territory. ZF 8-Speed transmission offers extremely quick and smooth shifts too. There are plenty of examples available in used car market. And at current prices, it's one of the best deals. Early F30 320ds are available for as little as ₹ 20lakh and facelift models of the same variant are a tad pricier at ₹ 24-27lakh.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

A used compass is a money pit and their diesel automatic transmission is too lethargic compared to the manual.

Just get a new Taigun or Kushaq 1.5l since mileage isn't a concern. Or since you are okay with used cars and panaromic sunroof is a big must, get a used Skoda Karoq or VW t-roc. They are CBU so they are a noticeable step up.

Last edited by Cresterk : 11th November 2022 at 11:18.
Cresterk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:56   #15
BHPian

If you are moving from Petrol AT HC then Jeep Compass Diesel AT can be frustrating at times. Compass Diesel AT is a great cruiser on highways and the confidence to throw it anywhere any situation becuase of 4X4. In city, overtaking situations, the AT can fix you up. It revvs more and acclerates less.

I own a compass 4x4 AT and have moved from Vento TDI DSG which was one heck of a car.

Used Octavia TDIs / Superb / even Tiguan TDI.
Bsreecharan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks