Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2022, 14:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Used Car Models with a factory-fitted sunroof

Starting this thread on behalf of a couple of friends of mine who are on the lookout for a used car. Their usage would be fairly low, so is their budget, and neither are enthusiasts but their sole requirement is that it must have a sunroof.

Obviously the ventilation advantages that a sunroof affords cannot be argued with. Now my question is which used car models in India came with a factory fitted sunroof? I am not interested in aftermarket fittings as I doubt their long-term reliability and quality unless anyone can convince me otherwise. All suggestions are welcome as I am hoping to gather a list of all possibilities and then deduce based on reliability, maintenance cost and price in that order.

Thanks in advance.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 14:34   #2
BHPian

re: Used Car Models with a factory-fitted sunroof

In the SUV segment, you will find plenty of used XUV500's with sunroofs, and considering the XUV's popularity, you can find some great deals.

Since running is low, am assuming that a hatchback would be a preferred choice. I think that the Old Hyundai i10 is an option as its top end had a sunroof.

Used Car Models with a factory-fitted sunroof-i10.jpg
Pic source : GoMechanic

Attaching a few links of some i10's in Bangalore :

https://www.olx.in/item/hyundai-i10-...iid-1714449990

https://www.olx.in/item/hyundai-i10-...iid-1708423334
arnav17 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 09:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

1. If a sunroof, it has to be a panoramic sunroof. Period. The basic small sunroof simply does not offer the sense of occasion or the airy cabin feel. The point about ventilation is mostly irrelevant though in typically dusty and polluted Indian conditions.

2. The sunroof craze started with the MG Hector, and was democratised by the Hyundai Creta. You’ll find plenty of examples of both in the used car market. Also, look for Tata Harriers. If you are open to it, look for used RR Evoques, early model cars. They had a fixed full glass roof.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 11:12   #4
BHPian

Look for a used WR-V. It’s easy to find, is reliable and quite spacious too.
Aakash118 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 16:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The earliest that I can think of is the Astra, but that would not be practical.

Other than that, in no clear order but from memory. Corolla, Octavia, Optra, arrow design City, Civic, i10, i20. These would be mainstream cars that had sunroof and can be had cheap and be practical to own.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 04:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
In the SUV segment, you will find plenty of used XUV500's with sunroofs, and considering the XUV's popularity, you can find some great deals.

I think that the Old Hyundai i10 is an option as its top end had a sunroof.
Would definitely want to avoid the XUV since low running would mean the car has got to be a petrol. Hyundais did come to mind but their lacklustre petrol mills made me wonder if there is anything better out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
1. If a sunroof, it has to be a panoramic sunroof. Period. The basic small sunroof simply does not offer the sense of occasion or the airy cabin feel. The point about ventilation is mostly irrelevant though in typically dusty and polluted Indian conditions.
One word; smoking. Don't care about having the best sunroof or the most gizmos a factory fitted sunroof no matter how small would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Look for a used WR-V. It’s easy to find, is reliable and quite spacious too.
Top consideration as of now but they seem to be quite coveted in today's inflated used car market. Hard to find one at an honest asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Other than that, in no clear order but from memory. Corolla, Octavia, Optra, arrow design City, Civic, i10, i20. These would be mainstream cars that had sunroof and can be had cheap and be practical to own.
The City is one of the cars being considered. Did the Corolla actually come with a sunroof? Which generation of it? At the end of the day a Japanese car with a sunroof nearly ticks all the boxes I guess.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 11:03   #7
BHPian

Re: Used Car Models with a factory-fitted sunroof

Here's the list of cars that I can think of with a sunroof:

Used Car Models with a factory-fitted sunroof-cars-sunroof.jpg

Corolla never came with a sunroof as far as I know.
swoosh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 16:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post

. Did the Corolla actually come with a sunroof? Which generation of it? At the end of the day a Japanese car with a sunroof nearly ticks all the boxes I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
I stand corrected. Sorry, mixed it up with the GCC spec Corollas.
Old 2nd January 2023, 16:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i10, Fabia, Honda City come to my mind as cars with sunroof that have decent A.S.S service support and would come under 4L budget.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 16:38   #10
BHPian

Hyundai i10 was one of the first hatchbacks with a factory fitted sunroof. Also the top end i20 at that time had 6 airbags and a sunroof. This is around the year 2010. The craze for sunroofs is increasing day by day. One of the used car dealers had a 2012 i10 for sale at 3.75 lakhs only because it had the holy trifecta of Automatic, Sunroof and aftermarket CNG kit.
It would be advisable to buy a regular car and fit an aftermarket sunroof. IIRC Webasto used to install aftermarket sunroofs for Tata initially.
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 17:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Get yourself a Gen3 City, whose top end V trim had the sunroof. It was the last City built to the old Honda standards, and you will get a fundamentally sorted, fuss free and reliable automobile that will serve you well despite its age.

Do note that smoking is not permitted inside a private vehicle. You can be challaned for this.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 2nd January 2023 at 17:56.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav17 View Post
Since running is low, am assuming that a hatchback would be a preferred choice. I think that the Old Hyundai i10 is an option as its top end had a sunroof.
Yes I had a 2008 i10 Asta which had a sun roof and I sold it after 7 years of usage and it was working well.
Old 3rd January 2023, 12:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Do note that smoking is not permitted inside a private vehicle. You can be challaned for this.
I am given to understand that you can be challaned if there are other occupants in the car. However, if one is driving alone then no problem.
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 10:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Hyundai i10, Fabia, Honda City come to my mind as cars with sunroof that have decent A.S.S service support and would come under 4L budget.
Honda City is top contender at the moment as they can be found for relatively cheap. Did the Fabia 1.6 ever get a sunroof? Or was the sunroof only restricted to pre-facelift 3 cylinder Fabias?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
It would be advisable to buy a regular car and fit an aftermarket sunroof. IIRC Webasto used to install aftermarket sunroofs for Tata initially.
I am skeptical about the long term reliability and serviceability of aftermarket sunroofs. If anyone has personal experience with them do share.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th January 2023 at 10:13.

Most Viewed