Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2023, 23:02   #106
BHPian

re: Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson

The price is still the same for the Tiguan since the dealer is not reducing anymore.
2022 new car - 38.5L including 5th & 6th year warranty. (They reduced just 30K for sake of negotiation).
2021 factory display car with 0kms done - 37.8L including 4th & 5th year warranty since the car is already completed 1 year.

This price difference doesn't justify my usage of around 1200 +/- 100 kms/month for me to consider the Tiguan over Tucson. Which means, I will have to spend approx. 5-6k more just for the fuel alone. Except for the driving dynamics (which Tucson is not far lagging) and looks (here Tucson lacks far behind ), there is nothing significant that Tiguan scores over the Tucson. So I am dropping Tiguan here.

Now my options are down to only 2 - Tucson and Harrier facelift.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 4th February 2023 at 23:06.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 06:37   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post

Some of my requirements
1. Appropriate replacement of Harrier in terms of space. I only need a 5-seater. Though I am not strictly against 7 seats also.
2. Safety, performance, ride, and handling. I am an enthusiast looking to satisfy my Schumacher/Vin Diesel in me.
3. Reliability is an equal priority (since I lost my peace of mind and money with my previous car - Lemon Harrier).
4. I will be the only driver and this will my primary car. I have a beater car (2009 Indica Vista Diesel). I use it only for the sake of using it and I don't intend to sell it as it will be used as a backup and as a learner's car to my wife. I also hold on to my cars for as long as possible.
5. I am a person who appreciates sound mechanicals more than tonnes of gizmos. Of course, I expect at-par bells and whistles compared to the market if not the best.
6. I did about 48K kms in about 2yrs 10 months in my Harrier. I expect to do the same with +/- 5-6K. This is the last leg to own a diesel. However, my only concern is the DPF issue. While mileage is important, I would rather spend an additional 9rs/liter (or) 5K/month for the petrol rather than get stuck on the road with the DPF issue in a diesel. Am I worrying too much? Am I overthinking? Can I still go ahead with the diesel?
7. Budget is approximately 25L-35L.
8. Automatic preferred. Manual can also be considered.

BYD Atto 3.
Wild entry, but ticks (almost) all the boxes.

Keep an open mind and go for a TD, you might as well like it - it’s like that odd Netflix series that you ended up liking, just bcos you gave the first few mins a chance

Last edited by evolvo : 5th February 2023 at 06:49. Reason: added info
Old 5th February 2023, 18:18   #108
BHPian

Quote:
My biggest problem is the size of Hycross. It is too big for my liking as well as use case (I don't have any parking problem though). (As a matter of fact, even 700 is big for my liking and use case. Hycross is bigger than 700).

The following is my take away so far
1. Primary recommendation - Hycross ZX Hybrid and Tuscon D Signature AWD/2WD
2. Secondary recommendation - XUV700 AX7L D AWD
3. Tiguan is a no no since both the mileage is extremely poor for my use case and the upkeep costs are the highest.
4. Kushaq/Taigun, if petrol is the choice

The following are the updates on the car
1. Tuscon waiting period is 7-9 months based on the colour choice.
2. Hycross waiting period is 9-12 months based on the colour choice. And the vehicle will be available for TD only from early Feb.
3. 700 waiting period is 6-9 months based on the colour choice. Will do the TD and update here.
4. Will also try the Kushaq. I like the simplistic looks of the Kushaq than the chrome and creases loaded Taigun.
Hello, I am not sure if moderator allow writing this on forum, if you are okay, please connect with some senior Bhpians of NCR / Mumbai for XUV7OO. If you are comfortable paying premium then as per my knowledge atleast in NCR you can get XUV7OO in few days. Cost of driving back to your city will cost you max 8000 including one night stay in hotel. I don't know about getting it by paying premium in Mumbai. 6 months is a long time & by the time price will increase to atleast 60-80k.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 19:54   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post
BYD Atto 3.
Wild entry, but ticks (almost) all the boxes.

Keep an open mind and go for a TD, you might as well like it - it’s like that odd Netflix series that you ended up liking, just bcos you gave the first few mins a chance
No EV at least for the next 3-4 years. This will be my only car and EV market is only at its nascent stage (even globally). Whether I like the Atto or not, it is still a bad idea to buy an EV as an only car garage in India. And, I don't want Chinese, no matter what (I am already living on Chinese products/parts more than enough).
Old 5th February 2023, 20:39   #110
BHPian

Well! I do understand that you have reservations regarding EV but I feel continue to feel optimistic with growing g EVs in road from Tata , MG. Considering that you are mainly going for ride with 2 persons, keep an open mid for Hyundai Kona. I know it has a firm ride and back seat comfort is not very good, but the performance, build quality, battery range , safety and features and Hyundai back up makes a strong case with OTR around 25 lacs. It is CKD and more value for money now. Just give it a thought!

Last edited by manson : 17th February 2023 at 00:27.
sheelRP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 21:31   #111
BHPian

The Tucson would be the final choice between the two.
Yes, it comes at a premium for a Hyundai. But there is no car that comes close to the featureset and reliability in the price range.
aadiaksh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 21:34   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelRP View Post
Well! I do understand that you have reservations regarding EV but I feel continue to feel optimistic with growing g EVs in road from Tata , MG. Considering that you are mainly going for ride with 2 persons, keep an open mid for Hyundai Kona. I know it has a firm ride and back seat comfort is not very good, but the performance, build quality, battery range , safety and features and Hyundai back up makes a strong case with OTR around 25 lacs. It is CKD and more value for money now. Just give it a thought!
Even Ioniq 5 cannot be considered as an only car garage in India. India is not yet ready for that. Probably the only car that may be considered is the EQS (still reserving my comments though).

Last edited by manson : 17th February 2023 at 00:28. Reason: Corrected typo in quoted post.
Old 6th February 2023, 00:20   #113
Senior - BHPian

You could get the tucson. That 8 speed auto along with the punchy diesel is a joy to drive. Also it will look 'modern' for a long time.

The rest of the crossovers mentioned are just too unreliable for someone who is already hurting from owning a lemon. The XUV700 might be an exception but the waiting list is a joke.

Or save some money and get yourself a Taigun or Kushaq 1.5. The rev happy engine along with the quick shifting DSG gearbox is an absolute joy to drive and you can have even more fun on curvy roads with the responsive paddle shifters. It is rather barebones in terms of blingy features but it is an absolute joy to drive and it has a 5 star safety rating to boot.
Old 6th February 2023, 15:10   #114
BHPian

I may be biased but IMO if you look for reliability, you should always choose a Japanese brand. There is a reason why owners of Toyota Innova, Toyota Corolla, Honda City, Honda Camry are some of the happiest car owners not only in India but the whole world.

Hence I think, after your experience with the Harrier, the most thing you would like to have in your car is reliability.

So on the above argument, my recommendation will be to go for a Japanese brand. Among all the cars in the market, the Toyota Innova is the best car for you. But since you have already written that Innova is big and you already have a beater car, I think the next best car for you would be the upcoming 2023 Honda HRV.
Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson-2023hondahrv3740x487.jpg
Image credits : gaadiwaadi.com

The 2023 Honda HRV looks butch, spacious, is loaded with features and has good driving dynamics. However the only problem is no one knows if Honda will launch this car this year and when. Rumours are that they are planning to launch HRV during the festive season this year and also one sub 4 mtr SUV before that. But there is no official confirmation so no one knows for sure.

Last edited by souvikjana83 : 6th February 2023 at 15:16.
souvikjana83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 15:49   #115

I was faced with the same Dilemma after selling my 2013 Fluidic Elantra. I researched for about 3 months and took a test drive of each and every vehicle from 15 lacs to 30 lacs.
It was really tough to get a replacement for the Elantra as my family got used to the comfort levels & wanted equal, if not better.

My requirements :
No Chinese, Petrol, 5 seater - not too big (Kodiaq/Fortuner) but not too small (Kushaq/Tiguan/Seltos),
Good Rear Seat Comfort, Good headlamps, fun to drive, preferably AWD, superb build quality.

XUV700 & Scorpio N were ignored due to the long waiting list.

The other day i was going somewhere with my wife and there was one black shiny Tiguan going ahead & my wife was really impressed by the looks.
Just for the sake of it, I test drove the Tiguan. Shockingly, it ticked all my boxes & was love at first drive.
Availability of 4+2 extended warranty & 5 years Service Plan ensured i need not worry about any service expenditure.
Got a good discount due to year end & it was available from factory to Delhi Dealer in 1 week. Had a great experience with Volkswagen Delhi West.
Staff was very courteous and treated me special in-spite of back to back Taigun/Virtus deliveries on a Sunday.

Major Cons :

1. Fuel Efficiency - Lowest it has given is 6.7 (Sports mode, open stretch) and Highest is 15.5 (KMP Highway) In traffic it returns 9-11 depending on driving style and traffic conditions.
2. Audio System - Although good the sound set up is not Audi/Merc level. I wish i could do something about it. But most people who experienced it in my car found it to be good.
3. No Ventilated Seats.
4. Makes you want to drive it again & again. This engine & transmission setup is really addictive. Put it in sports mode on open stretch & no music can be pleasing than the engine roar.
5. People take a moment to realize its a Tiguan & not a Taigun

It has been almost 3 months now and it has been a fantastic journey so far.
Modifications : Got it coded from DrCode, Got alloys painted black, Ceramic Coating.
Attached Thumbnails
Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson-whatsapp-image-20230204-2.22.28-pm.jpeg  

Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson-whatsapp-image-20230204-2.23.25-pm.jpeg  

9nikhil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:45   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nikhil View Post
Got a good discount due to year end & it was available from factory to Delhi Dealer in 1 week.
Can you please share the amount of discount you got and any other related details.
Old 7th February 2023, 10:17   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Can you please share the amount of discount you got and any other related details.
Hi
I got around 60K as cash discount & 80K SVP totaling around 140K
VW has all My 2022 cars as of now, negotiate with 1-2 dealers & you will definitely get a good deal.
9nikhil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 16:49   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nikhil View Post
Major Cons :
1. Fuel Efficiency - Lowest it has given is 6.7 (Sports mode, open stretch) and Highest is 15.5 (KMP Highway) In traffic it returns 9-11 depending on driving style and traffic conditions.
2. Audio System - Although good the sound set up is not Audi/Merc level. I wish i could do something about it. But most people who experienced it in my car found it to be good.
3. No Ventilated Seats.
4. Makes you want to drive it again & again. This engine & transmission setup is really addictive. Put it in sports mode on open stretch & no music can be pleasing than the engine roar.
5. People take a moment to realize its a Tiguan & not a Taigun
Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations on your purchase. Looks absolutely stunning.
1. FE - Good to know that the city FE is 9-11 and highway it is 15.5. I am more than happy if I get this numbers. But I doubt these numbers are achievable. In fact, one of the major deal breaker for me to drop off Tiguan is the FE (which I thought will offset with the discounts given).
2. Audio system - We can always improve the audio quality through professionals outside. So not a concern for me.
3. Ventilated seats - It is just good to have. Not a must. Tiguan comes with 3 zone AC which I think is more than enough for our conditions.
4. Now this is what is the problem - With Tiguan it very difficult to resist/control that driving desire & thirst. Again it leads to the concern of FE.
5. I am least bothered and concerned about what others think. It is their problem, not mine.

Btw, is your Tiguan the only car for all your needs or how are you managing your errands?

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 7th February 2023 at 17:01.
Old 7th February 2023, 18:10   #119

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience and congratulations on your purchase. Looks absolutely stunning.
1. FE - Good to know that the city FE is 9-11 and highway it is 15.5. I am more than happy if I get this numbers. But I doubt these numbers are achievable. In fact, one of the major deal breaker for me to drop off Tiguan is the FE (which I thought will offset with the discounts given).
2. Audio system - We can always improve the audio quality through professionals outside. So not a concern for me.
3. Ventilated seats - It is just good to have. Not a must. Tiguan comes with 3 zone AC which I think is more than enough for our conditions.
4. Now this is what is the problem - With Tiguan it very difficult to resist/control that driving desire & thirst. Again it leads to the concern of FE.
5. I am least bothered and concerned about what others think. It is their problem, not mine.

Btw, is your Tiguan the only car for all your needs or how are you managing your errands?
I am in Gurgaon and high FE numbers are not achievable here. Expect 10kmpl in daily use.
Yeah i have an Ignis for my daily use.
9nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 21:43   #120
BHPian

Quick update

Out of the blue today, I received a call from Tata Motors customer service team Mumbai enquiring about my post on TBhp.
This is the story - Looks like someone from marketing team of Tata (or) the marketing team itself has a TBhp handle called "Utkarsh Chaudhry". And they came across my thread about Harrier problems. They tracked down the details (I don't know how - moderators please note and request you to take this appropriately) and called me on my mobile. I gave her the high level details about my entire ownership experience. And she said she will put me to the regional team.
After a while, someone from the regional team called me and again I explained to them my entire story with Harrier. In fact, he (the person from the regional team), is reporting to the regional head (whom I was already interacting during my Harrier ownership and knows my entire story). I told him that I sold my car after a lot of bad experience and frustration. I also told him that I am still open to consider another Harrier and I asked them how can they help me. He said he will talk to his boss and update me un the evening. He called me in the evening to update that they cannot do anything and there no special offer or anything. I should visit the dealer for the quote and the discount the dealer is giving is what I am eligible. The entire conversation went as if Tata Motors is doing me a huge favour. Most of the answers that he gave me was very diplomatic despite me asking him for a more transparent and candid conversation. In fact, I told him that I am looking to buy 2 cars (my friend is also interested in one). In spite of that, he was repeating that I need to go to the dealer and narrate my entire story to get discounts and it is at the dealers discretion and the eligibility as how much and what offer to give. He kep on answering me diplomatically while I was boiling inside with frustration and anger. Absolutely ridiculous attitude of Tata Motors and the worst customer service I have ever come across. Unfortunately, it is haunting me even after I sold my Harrier.

Now, I am putting FULL STOP to Harrier and Tata Motors. Never ever Tata in my life. Neither I recommend anyone to buy a Tata car ever. While the product is good, it is the process, the attitude and the experience of Tata that will make a customers life miserable for the entire ownership of the car. In fact, there may some haunting if this bad experience even after getting rid of the vehicle.

Now options are down to 2 again - Tiguan AWD and Tucson diesel Signature AT.

PS - I am reconsidering the Tiguan because there was a further discount of 80K yesterday (38L ONR). While my budget is 35L, I am still trying to reduce further to bring it as close to 35L as possible. My biggest concern is the mileage - I am unable to get a clear number on the mileage. I will be happy if I get 10 in city like Chennai and 14-15 on highways with normal driving. Pls help here.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks