Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2023, 14:29   #121

re: Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Quick update

Out of the blue today, I received a call from Tata Motors customer service team Mumbai enquiring about my post on TBhp.
Really bad of them to harass you like this
Its a no brainer - Tuscon Diesel is the winner for mileage.
For everything else, Tiguan will keep you happy.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th February 2023 at 15:01. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
9nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 15:15   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now options are down to 2 again - Tiguan AWD and Tucson diesel Signature AT.

PS - I am reconsidering the Tiguan because there was a further discount of 80K yesterday (38L ONR). While my budget is 35L, I am still trying to reduce further to bring it as close to 35L as possible. My biggest concern is the mileage - I am unable to get a clear number on the mileage. I will be happy if I get 10 in city like Chennai and 14-15 on highways with normal driving. Pls help here.
Coimbatore \ Chennai weather - AC is going to be a concern.

I see VAG car owners even in Bangalore leaving huge gaps infront of them in some of the traffic signals so that their car can wait in the shade, not to mention generous application of sunfilm etc.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 21:51   #123
Senior - BHPian

Read through your previous posts, I was about to grudgingly admit that the Harrier still meets your needs the best but seems like we were saved by a divine intervention

Quote:
Tiguan AWD and Tucson diesel Signature AT.
Sadly cannot help you on this. Haven't driven any but have spent some minutes in a demo/TD Tucson and I agree that somehow it doesn't feel like a 42 lakh car. Neither does the Tiguan but its understated design, to me, feels more premium while the Tucson feels flashy. Maybe because the Tucson looks like a larger Creta and the 2X price difference isn't digestible. The design I liked was the Kona.
OT : I found the Alcazar as a good option due to the interiors and space(last row folded/removed?).

This is a tough one but I would suggest to get what you enjoyed driving the most in your target conditions.
Remember you mentioning earlier that its the last chance to get a diesel ?

Last edited by shancz : 14th February 2023 at 21:52. Reason: spacing
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 11:13   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Read through your previous posts, I was about to grudgingly admit that the Harrier still meets your needs the best but seems like we were saved by a divine intervention

Sadly cannot help you on this. Haven't driven any but have spent some minutes in a demo/TD Tucson and I agree that somehow it doesn't feel like a 42 lakh car. Neither does the Tiguan but its understated design, to me, feels more premium while the Tucson feels flashy. Maybe because the Tucson looks like a larger Creta and the 2X price difference isn't digestible. The design I liked was the Kona.
OT : I found the Alcazar as a good option due to the interiors and space(last row folded/removed?).

This is a tough one but I would suggest to get what you enjoyed driving the most in your target conditions.
Remember you mentioning earlier that its the last chance to get a diesel ?
Whether it was divine or not, it is definitely a wake-up call not to go with Tata again. Already burnt half of the body, now that was a call not to burn the other half also.

Regarding the price, Harrier now costs around 28L, and 700 costs 31L+. And there is no perfect car that meets all my requirements (No one's requirements for that matter). I have to compromise on something or the other. Tucson is definitely more premium than Creta in every aspect - Quality, build, fit & finish, space, performance, AWD, comfort, ride, etc. And it is a CKD (taxes). Even Tiguan is a CKD. Hector is cheap because it is 100% Chinese. And we all know how China can disrupt the market (not just India but any market). The Q3 & Q5 costs 60L and 82L approx. Is the Q5 22L more worthy than Q3? - No. Similarly, it's the same with other manufacturers as well. The more expensive the car is, the lesser the value proposition. So it is not an apple-to-apple comparison.

While it is true that the Tucson is not worth 2 Cretas, which car is worth its cost today? Even Creta is not worth 23L. Is a Fortuner worth 60L? Unfortunately, India is a highly price-sensitive and middle-class market. That is why we enthusiasts form the elite crowd of the automotive community. We value good mechanicals and build more than looks/gimmicks/features/electronics, etc.
It is a seller's market. And IMO, the car prices will not go down at all (at least for the next 3-4 years), unless there is some change (reduction) in the tax structure which I don't think will happen.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 15th February 2023 at 11:14.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2023, 17:36   #125
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Prices are going up no matter what! With the depreciating rupee, rising inflation, and other economic factors not in India's favour, prices are bound to rise.
A car that costs 30 lakhs today would cost 40 lakhs 3 or 4 years down the line, so be ready to pay more as cars not getting cheaper anytime soon, unless EVs dominate the market and ICE vehicles become outdated to the fact that no one wants them anymore, but that situation is still a decade or so away, at least in the Indian context.
bijims is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 14:43   #126
BHPian

Quote:
While it is true that the Tucson is not worth 2 Cretas, which car is worth its cost today? Even Creta is not worth 23L. Is a Fortuner worth 60L? Unfortunately, India is a highly price-sensitive and middle-class market. That is why we enthusiasts form the elite crowd of the automotive community. We value good mechanicals and build more than looks/gimmicks/features/electronics, etc.
It is a seller's market. And IMO, the car prices will not go down at all (at least for the next 3-4 years), unless there is some change (reduction) in the tax structure which I don't think will happen.
Completely agree. I somehow don't agree with many who single out Tucson as being a costly car. I have driven many cars south of 50L including Fortuner and I can tell you with all conviction that Tucson is a unique car costing at or less than 45L. There is no car that can match its utility and premium feel. XUV 700 is probably a value for money option (considering current high prices) - but that won't be a car to your liking - it is just like another Tata car. After XUV 700's top end price range, there is nothing that can match Tucson as a product. Meridian is just an elongated Compass - nothing more to it. 11k kms test drive Meridian that I drove, had all sort of rattle noises, suspension noise etc. The engine and auto transmission is disappointing to say the least. The only concern w.r.to Tucson is the parts availability (3 weeks minimum waiting time to get those from South Korea). But a CKD car is not expected to run into lots of issues anyway. It is a beautiful car if we see it in person and very well built.
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 17:35   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Prices are going up no matter what! With the depreciating rupee, rising inflation, and other economic factors not in India's favour, prices are bound to rise.
A car that costs 30 lakhs today would cost 40 lakhs 3 or 4 years down the line, so be ready to pay more as cars not getting cheaper anytime soon, unless EVs dominate the market and ICE vehicles become outdated to the fact that no one wants them anymore, but that situation is still a decade or so away, at least in the Indian context.
I never imagined a Maruti will cost 23L. Maruti is completely riding on Toyota's image to price like this. While I say this, I don't think the prices will increase so much (10 lakhs) in the next 3-4 years. The increase I expect is around 3%-10%. EVs will not dominate the market anytime soon (in India at least). In fact, our governments target of 30% EVs by 2030 itself is extremely optimistic. Nevertheless, there is no better time to buy a car than now (Of course, only if there is a need for car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
Completely agree. I somehow don't agree with many who single out Tucson as being a costly car. I have driven many cars south of 50L including Fortuner and I can tell you with all conviction that Tucson is a unique car costing at or less than 45L. There is no car that can match its utility and premium feel. XUV 700 is probably a value for money option (considering current high prices) - but that won't be a car to your liking - it is just like another Tata car. After XUV 700's top end price range, there is nothing that can match Tucson as a product. Meridian is just an elongated Compass - nothing more to it. 11k kms test drive Meridian that I drove, had all sort of rattle noises, suspension noise etc. The engine and auto transmission is disappointing to say the least. The only concern w.r.to Tucson is the parts availability (3 weeks minimum waiting time to get those from South Korea). But a CKD car is not expected to run into lots of issues anyway. It is a beautiful car if we see it in person and very well built.
Definitely Tucson can be compared to the Germans/Europeans in many aspects. The problem India is the wrong, immature and ignorant mindset (even I had that mindset until I test drove the car) - Hyundai costing 40+ Lakhs. Again I quote the same Maruti example.
The top most priority for me when buying a car is the entire ownership experience - not just the car itself. In that sense, Tucson is good both sides - as a car and an happy ownership experience. We may not get both with Compass, Meridian, Tiguan - car is definitely good (not Meridian though), but what about the ownership experience.
With respect to parts availability, I think 3 weeks will be significantly reduced (not just Tucson but any other CKD/SKD/CBU brand/product as well) as the manufacturing and supply chain issues settle down and clear.
Old 4th March 2023, 18:50   #128
BHPian

Finally after a lot of confusion, contemplation, minimalist options available, upcoming (next 6 months) launches, and of course the availability (delivery timelines), I am happy to announce that I have taken the delivery of my Tucson Diesel 2WD Signature AT.

While the Tiguan was immediately available for delivery, the Tucson was made available immediately by a different dealer in my home town (even though I booked with a different dealer and delivery was scheduled in July/Aug). My exact choice of the same White 2WD Diesel top variant was available as it was allocated to another customer and it was cancelled the last minute. What an ecstatic moment when everything falls in place.

Of course, the final contest between Tiguan and Tucson was voted in favour of Tucson for the following reasons
1. DSG vs TC - In terms of reliability (especially in Indian conditions), it is TC any day over a DSG. Also the ASS experience of VW is always a hit or miss. Coming from bad experience, I don't want to take another chance, especially at this price point (as I already had to stretch way beyond my budget for either).
2. The 7 speed DQ381 is definitely better to drive than the 8 speed TC. However, the 8 speed TC is not far behind. Again while the Tiguan is the bench mark in the driving dynamics, Tucson did not disappoint me. In fact, the Tucson went one step ahead and surprised me during the TD.
3. Consider my usage of at least 15K kms per year, a diesel made more sense. And the tons of NM at low rpm in the diesel is definitely mind-blowing coming from a Harrier. While I also think this is last leg of diesel - so better get the best.
4. Tiguan is no more available (Similar to Octavia & Superb). And I can sense the urge of VW and the dealer to clear the last stock available (all are 2022 models). As per the dealer, the Tiguan MAY be relaunched during the festival season (August-Sept). So I don't want to buy a car that is already discontinued (even if it is temporary) with no horizon for the next launch.
5. As mentioned in my TD review, Tiguan's ride is too hard for Indian conditions.

Regarding Tucson's look, even though I did not like initially (even now I am not fully satisfied), it is definitely growing on me much faster than I expected. Regarding the full review of Tucson, I will shortly share it in a separate thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next? EDIT: Bought Hyundai Tucson-0d20112274a84be0a6a7779c5468e74b.jpg  

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 4th March 2023 at 18:54.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (95) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 19:16   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Finally after a lot of confusion, contemplation, minimalist options available, upcoming (next 6 months) launches, and of course the availability (delivery timelines), I am happy to announce that I have taken the delivery of my Tucson Diesel 2WD Signature AT.
Fantastic!! Congratulations on your new purchase!

Choosing the Tucson was a smart move, it's known for its reliable performance. Can't wait to hear your detailed review on how it handles your daily commute or if it impresses your weekend trips.

Quote:
Regarding Tucson's look, even though I did not like initially (even now I am not fully satisfied), it is definitely growing on me much faster than I expected.
You'll be driving down the road one day and suddenly realize that you're in love with it. Trust me, it happens to the best of us.
raptor_diwan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 01:39   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new aquisition
I am exactly in the same boat as you were and have the New XZA+(O) Dark Harrier booked and also the Tuscon booked.

Seeing your review makes me lean more towards the Tuscon.
Abhinav6683 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 09:48   #131
BHPian

Congratulations on your ride! Definitely a headturner and is a handsome looking machine! Hopefully the Hyundai reliability will be able to overcompensate you for the troubles that the Harrier gave.

Happy Motoring!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:05   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! The current generation of the Tiguan was launched in 2017 and is at the end of its life cycle. The Tucson on the other hand is a very recent global launch. I would recommend every time that it is always better to buy cars at the start of the generation, as they stay fresh for a minimum of 6 to 7 years.

7 years is a long time in terms of technology and platform advancement for major auto makers, and I think what you are seeing is that Hyundai has almost caught up with VW in terms of driving dynamics, performance and safety as compared to the prevailing generation of VW SUVs like the Tiguan from the second half of the last decade. The last generation of Tucson was very far behind the Tiguan even though they were both launched in 2016-17 globally. VW has stayed slow in this segment with more of their energies going towards electrification. Whereas Hyundai has moved faster.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:08   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Of course, the final contest between Tiguan and Tucson was voted in favour of Tucson for the following reasons
Congratulations on a great choice !

One more reason the Tucson would be massively better over the Tiguan is the air conditioning. Considering you are from Chennai a great AC is a godsend. Coming from tata harrier( tata cars usually have great ACs) I am sure Tucson would have atleast a comparable AC performance, Tiguan on the other hand is below average.
07CR is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 12:17   #134
BHPian

Congratulations on the Purchase of the Tuscon!.
It is one of their Global models and much better than their other models in terms of finesse and equipment.
ProLearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 12:40   #135

Re: Sold my lemon Tata Harrier | What car next?

Congrats on the new purchase and wish you miles of smiles with a reliable vehicle. I have a 2016 Tucson myself and been driving it for 4 years now in Dubai. The vehicle has clocked a reliable 4 Lakh+ kms and is going strong, in its 2 Ltr, Petrol + 6 speed TC avatar. Apart from the sluggish engine set heavily in favour of mileage, it is a smooth operator. I myself plan to do a separate comparo with these 2 generations of Tucsons' sometime soon. All in all good purchase. I've had quality issues with the flip buttons conking off on my Steering Mounted control module for all functions now with repeated use and its a pain in this part of the world without Cruise Control; that apart from that tried and tested mechanicals work well!
viny2k8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks