Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2023, 00:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Toyota Hyryder vs VW Virtus / Skoda Slavia

Hi, most of the advice above is to the point.
I own VW ameo dsg since last 6 years and have got the hyryder a month back.
Ameo is a lakh plus and hyryder driven around 2000 kms.

For seniors SUV is preferred from my experience at home. Look at SUV siblings of Slavia and Virtus as well.

Having driven hyryder and ameo I would tell you to choose VW/Skoda for the driving feel. They are fun to drive. No way around it.

Take extended warranty and drive worry free. Have had 2 flywheel replacements and 1 clutch replacement in three last 6 years fire the ameo.

Hyryder is an excellent package but missing crucial comfortable seats you get in the VW/Skoda. The seats are too small to be comfortable in. Driving it sedately, the car is very smooth. It is an ideal diesel replacement with respect to mileage as well.
aadiaksh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 06:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

It’s simple, if fun to drive is the requirement nothing beats VAG twins in that price range. In my opinion a garage of Crysta and Hyryder is boring while a Crysta and Slavia/Virtus makes it exciting and versatile.
sunikkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 09:39   #18
BHPian

I think you simply need to get a Virtus GT/Slavia 1.5, no comparison with the Hyryder on driving and performance. With an Innova already available its time to add some excitement with a performance sedan to your garage . Fuel efficiency in city is where the Toyota wins hands down but out on the highway these 1.5 TSIs with ACT(2 cylinder mode) are extremely good.

I have been getting healthy mileage of 18+ on highway runs easily with my Virtus GT while within city it hovers around 10-12 kmpl. Pedal to metal nothing comes close, its like power is never ending, overtakes are pretty easy and a tap on pedal lets the engine sing as you want to.

Ownership experience has been good in last 5 months, no issues(rattles) as of now atleast. I checked out Hyryder for a friend and exterior built felt too light, drive experience was good(for Hybrid variant) but too far from VAG.

Would suggest to take a TD of the VAG twins once and take a call.

Happy hunting .

Last edited by libranof1987 : 20th January 2023 at 10:17. Reason: Two smileys/post
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 10:59   #19
BHPian

Hi Manoj,
I own a 6yr old Vento 1.5 TDi DSG and have covered 121000 kms. Absolutely no hiccups. DSG is such a pleasure to drive. I have spent about 1L in servicing the car giving it a mid life spruce up only for mechanical replacements and nothing cometic. It's such a pleasure to drive and puts a smile on my face every time. I intend to hold onto my Vento for another 45000 kms.

I did a road trip with a friend in his Virtus GT 1.5L DSG, it was such a pleasure to drive. Ride and handling was sorted. Spacious too. But i do miss minor misses like auto up-down of all windows that is there on my Vento. And the alloys, can definitely do with a better design. I personally don't like black alloys. But overall, fun to drive and reliable.

I myself, need to replace my aging Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion. It's 10 years old and has covered 170000 kms. It is giving minor niggling problem off late. And in the same dilemma myself.

Would suggest adding Honda City Hybrid to your choices.

My heart says Virtus 1.5 GST, but says City Hybrid or Hyrydder Hybrid V.

Upon choosing, do let us know.
svmvale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 11:29   #20
BHPian

I have the same combination at home. Virtus 1.0L manual and an automatic crysta. Since your primary is the crysta, I would personally go for the virtus. Crysta is great, doesn't really break down, and does everything as advertised, but with my virtus, I love working that gearbox and is a hoot to drive in general.

I just did a test drive of the Hyryder and do not have any extensive experience with the car and while the virtus cannot give you that Hyryrder mileage, you will be surprised at how frugal virtus can be if you drive in a relaxed manner. It's a fun package. Wish you all the best in your search!
mak.prasada is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 15:10   #21
BHPian

To start with I havent driven any of the cars you are looking to buy, so cant say which one to go for. And it is obvious that the cars in contention are not from same category, so there is no point is doing like to like comparison.

But what I would like to share here is my experience. I have owned a skoda for 11 years now and it has done 1,20,000 and counting. Havent had any major hiccups. I have got all my servicing done through Tafe, Bangalore and some times in Tafe Mangalore. Experience has been hassle free.
So for me at least ASS nightmares which most people worry about hasnt been an issue at all. And personally, I feel there is no guarantee that every vehicle that is sold by any manufacturer will be trouble free, best of the brands can have cars with issues and if you look for ASS nightmares you will find them plenty with every player in the market.

Good luck with your purchase.
thirugata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 18:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojseb View Post
Virtus and Slavia came to my mind. However, I am a bit concerned about the VW after-sales support.
Hi Manoj! The title of the thread caught my eye as I was in a similar position few months back while planning my first (self owned) car purchase. Needless to say, my use case was a bit different than yours but my choices were pretty much the same. I had a strict budget of around 17 lakhs. Took a look at everything and anything from the boring Koreans filled on (Delhi/NCR) roads to the newbies on the block (Astor, Kushaq, Taigun). Features, Looks, Exclusivity mattered the most to me.

In comes the Hyryder - Grand Vitara duo. Excited by the not-so-expected panoramic sunroof during its(Hyryder) launch announcement, I was almost sure I'm going to get this.

It looked great, had a good feature set and was to be exclusive since it was a brand new product. Driving a Baleno, I was happy with the reliability and fuss free ownership of the Japanese.

Although, the quality of the Hyryder interiors is no better than my 2015 Baleno except some leather on the dash. The speedometer in mild hybrids was almost the same if not worse (white instead of a fancier blue light setup). Coupled with the atrocious pricing for the mild hybrid versions, this was surely a no go for me now.

Went ahead and took the plunge with the VW Virtus. What a lovely car with that TSI engine, amazing 10+ inch screen, ventilated seats and digital cockpit. Got the 1.0 Topline MT for around 16.6L on road Delhi.

I think the overall quality is good for the price and way ahead of Hyryder. The driving pleasure makes up for any misses ! hope this helps

Thanks,
Anish
RaiAnish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 18:18   #23
BHPian

I would also suggest to go in for the 1.5 DSG. The way it redlines at >5500rpm and with sound it produces is just amazing. Surely you would fall in love with engine gearbox combo.
The seats and ergonomics are spot on.

Also in Delhi we are getting some pretty serious discounts on them.
My dad's colleague bought Škoda Kushaq Style 1.5 DSG at some 19.XX lakhs On Road ie. around 2 lakhs discount.
Also they are offering good value if we sell our old car to them.
Tanmay_868 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 19:44   #24

Thank you so much for all the suggestions and your experiences! That's a lot of DSG fans. Love it :-) I am not a stranger to DSG box either. In fact we got a 2018 Ameo highline DSG , driven by my FIL. I ocassionally drives it when he borrows my crysta for outstation trips.

Visited Apple auto Whitefield and did a walk around and sat inside the car. The timing was so wrong thanks to ORR traffic , couldn't even imagine a test drive 🙂. Felt rear headroom was tight for my height..but I am not planning to sit there anyways. I am leaning towards Virtus. I will try the test drive with VW North showroom for a test drive on the airport road

PS - Toyota service is not any cheap. And VW is not very expensive either. However the service experience of Toyota is priceless.
Old 21st January 2023, 00:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojseb View Post
Hello,

I was planning to replace my second car, a 12 years old Liva. My primary car is a time tested Crysta. Being a Toyota loyalist, I had booked a Hyryder at the time of the launch and kept the booking on hold.

However, now I am having second thoughts and considering a spacious and fun-to-drive sedan which is tall enough for easy ingress/egress for senior citizens. Monthly miles will be maximum 800 kms. It will be mostly driven by my wife and occasionally by me.

Being a fan of TSI+DSG, Virtus and Slavia came to my mind. However, I am a bit concerned about the VW after-sales support.

Looking for BHPians' wisdom

Thanks,
Manoj
Do check out the 1.0 TSI from the VAG stable. They are almost there in the fun to drive capabilities with sports mode and paddle shifters and make up on the reliability front from the 1.5DSGs. I own a 3.2 AT Ford Endeavour and 1.0 TSI Taigun highline and they perfectly compliment each other. One is a reliable, go anywhere family mover and the VW is the daily, fun to drive compact city SuV. I reliably get 15+ in the city and 18+ on highway driving with the VW and the 1.0 gives the assurance of being a more reliable cousin to the 1.5 DSGs.
Greatshekhs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 11:33   #26

It depends on how much niggles bug you. If you are like me and have very low tolerance to niggles and other tiny annoying sounds and regular visits/complaints to service center for tiny issues, I would suggest you stick to Hyryder, or even better go for something that was launched atleast 2 yrs ago. If you are looking for fun driving experience and don't plan to drive over 40-50k kms during the lifetime of the vehicle, Virtus or Slavia could be nice.

I owned newly launced Etios, it was mostly niggles free, but threre were serious quality improvements in the next version.
cherub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:08   #27
BHPian

If car is going to be driven exclusively in City limits, do stick with strong hybrid Hyryder . If you can wait, check for Honda's upcoming Strong Hybrid SUV as well .

1.5 DSG is an absolutely exciting combination, however what's the point of it, if driving is going to be exclusively within city with max speed of 60 kmph.
baarish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 11:46   #28

TLDR; I bought an EV Max Z+ : )

Long story.
I had almost booked a Kushaq. I loved the car. Apart from the great looks, the way it drives, handling, compactness, minimal waiting period.I was convinced .

A day before I was planning to book it, my FIL's Ameo DSG stalled while it was parked in an open pay n park lot.After one hour of work at office, when he returned, the car refused to start. This was the 3rd time time it had happened in the last 6-8 months. We could start the Ameo by tapping the battery wires in two instances and the other time it required a jump start. In all instances VW service centre confirmed that the battery is fine. Their inspection didn't find any issues.

And a driver in the paking, watching us doing the jump start, was quick to give me an advice... Sir, these VW cars are great..but most of them will have this kind of mysterious issues and one fine day it can give you a major surprise.

The showroom next to Skoda was Tata (Jakkur). Until then I didn't consider an EV atcall. Exploring EV Max was quite an eye opener. With a solar system at home, I should have looked at an EV in the first place. May be I was more obsessed with how a car is driven.

Adding to it, there were few other perks. 5% GST and no Road tax, IT exceptions for 150000/- interest. And most importantly, I will be paying no electricity bills.

I went for the peppy Nexon EVMax Z+!

With XUV400 in the mix now, Tata offered a car in just 10 days waiting. Sales experience was pretty good (Prerana).

So finally, my hunt for a second car resulted in buying new primary car for city. My Innova Touring Sport from now onwards takes some rest and do only long distance or 7 seater duties.

Once again thanks for your inputs and advices. It was definitely very useful to have community's inputs while shopping for a new car.

Thank you!
Manoj
manojseb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed