Hyundai Ioniq 5 116 61.05%
BMW X1 37 19.47%
Other (please specify in your post) 37 19.47%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 03:28   #1
BHPian

First Car: Hyundai Ioniq 5 vs BMW X1

Going to buy my first ever car. The wife and I are unable to agree between the IONIQ 5 and the 2023 BMW X1.

I want the I5 because:

1. I don't mind being an early EV adopter with the IONIQ 5 and putting up with the challenges that might come with EV ownership (road trips may happen occasionally - we live in Delhi, for context).

2. I test drove the EV6 and loved the ride. I test drove the earlier gen X1 and it didn't feel great. I'm used to a Toyota Fortuner and the X1 felt stiff in comparison.

3. BMW has missed out on the little things that matter, by using a poor touchscreen with lag and incorrect input sensing (based on all the videos I've seen). IONIQ delivers on all those little things.

Wife wants the X1 for the following reasons and I do agree with her on these:

1. She likes its design and build. I agree, the X1 looks good. While the IONIQ looks great, the X1 feels more.. price-appropriate? Even on the interiors - while the IONIQ is great, the BMW feels more.. premium?

2. The BMW badge. If you're spending 50L, you'd like a BMW logo over a Hyundai logo. And this argument is hard to tackle since it's irrational.

3. We don't know if the range is adequate for long drives, especially since EV range tends to drop noticeably at highway speeds? Is this going to an annoyance? Like, can I not do 120kmph on the IONIQ without anxiety?

What all aspects should I compare between the two cars?
What are some potential dealbreakers and other aspects I may have missed?
huygens is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 08:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: First Car: Hyundai Ioniq 5 vs BMW X1

I think cars like the Ioniq 5 and EV6 are game changers and are the future. The only reason the likes of X1 are even in competition is the badge, otherwise they are outclassed in every objective comparison especially when weighted against the asking price. If I had 50-60L to spend on a car today, I’d go for the I5.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 08:45   #3
BHPian

re: First Car: Hyundai Ioniq 5 vs BMW X1

If I were you, I would get myself a Nexon ev max, it handles beautifully, and a Tucson for highway runs.
Happy shopping.
Vinod_nair is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 10:05   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: First Car: Hyundai Ioniq 5 vs BMW X1

Added a poll to spice things up .

I would suggest the Ioniq 5. You are comparing one of the best EVs on sale in India, to a BMW with a 3-cylinder petrol or a 4-cylinder diesel making "adequate" power at best. Since you are from Delhi, I cannot recommend the diesel as you'd have to sell it prematurely. And the 3-cylinder petrol has merely 136 horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huygens View Post
I don't mind being an early EV adopter with the IONIQ 5 and putting up with the challenges that might come with EV ownership (road trips may happen occasionally - we live in Delhi, for context).
Enough said. Just go for the Ioniq 5 and revv....err, spin away to glory .

Quote:
2. The BMW badge. If you're spending 50L, you'd like a BMW logo over a Hyundai logo. And this argument is hard to tackle since it's irrational.
Agreed. But that green number-plate also comes with bragging rights, while I do find the Ioniq 5 to be the better looker.

The Ioniq 5 has sufficient range for nearby road-trips. How frequent are your other longer road-trips? If just 2 - 3 times a year, either endure the pain of public charging spots (it's terribly inconsistent, although improving) or rent a petrol / diesel SUV from Myles / Revv self-drive rentals.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 11:58   #5
BHPian

Neither is the answer. The new X1 is a wheezing excuse of a BMW and there’s always time for an EV.

Get yourself a Q3. 190hp turbo-petrol, Quattro AWD, effortless to drive, interiors feel properly luxurious.

If you wish to ramp up the style quotient, the Sportback in bright Blue looks smashing.
revsperminute is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 12:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Get yourself a Q3. 190hp turbo-petrol, Quattro AWD, effortless to drive, interiors feel properly luxurious.
How can you not consider Q3 Sportback?
I wished this was a Strong Hybrid.
sj_koova is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 13:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Others, in favour of Q3.

I would honestly suggest any car against the new X1, mainly if it is petrol.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 13:53   #8
BHPian

Please have a look at Audi Q3 before you take a decision. It has Quattro and 2L turbo petrol engine which is fun to drive. And it looks stunner too!
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 14:37   #9
BHPian

While maximum votes are for ioniq 5, I wouldn't recommend that just as yet. Somehow the looks are quirky and will mostly not age well. BMW though makes rock solid cars has totally lost it by giving it a 3 pot petrol while the diesel would depreciate your car ridiculously since you are in Delhi.

Also a hyundai no matter how good - doesn't justify a 50lac price tag.(I know - I might sound irrational)

In the price segment you are in, though quiet healthy, but it doesn't have many VFM vehicles around.
I would strongly recommend saving some substantial money and go for a car from a lower price bracket - maybe an Innova hycross (if size is not an issue) OR maybe something else.
Or if your heart is set on spending this kind of money on a nice car - I would recommend spending some more and get a better one.

Though I am surprised you are not looking for a pre-loved vehicle. Benefits of a pre-loved vehicle are a plenty.

Since you have not mentioned your primary usage, number of people in the family, budget etc. it is very difficult to suggest any other particular car.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 15:07   #10
BHPian

Have you considered that Audi A4 as well ? It’s a very desirable product if you’re fine with a sedan. I sat in the current MY car and loved it. Do check it out once as well.
Old 24th February 2023, 17:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Added a poll to spice things up .

I would suggest the Ioniq 5. You are comparing one of the best EVs on sale in India, to a BMW with a 3-cylinder petrol or a 4-cylinder diesel making "adequate" power at best. Since you are from Delhi, I cannot recommend the diesel as you'd have to sell it prematurely. And the 3-cylinder petrol has merely 136 horses.

The Ioniq 5 has sufficient range for nearby road-trips. How frequent are your other longer road-trips? If just 2 - 3 times a year, either endure the pain of public charging spots (it's terribly inconsistent, although improving) or rent a petrol / diesel SUV from Myles / Revv self-drive rentals.
Agree. The X1 being underpowered is a bummer.

The road-trip aspect is honestly almost hypothetical at this point. Like, we haven't done too many in the past but the wife seems keen on them now that we'll be getting a car. And she doesn't like the idea of having to rent a car when you can like, buy the right one? And I agree.

Road trips won't be more than twice a year. And I'm guessing options like Delhi-Jaipur, Delhi-Agra etc will have decent charging infra? I'd just hate to lose too much range at high speeds but I think I can put up with these challenges overall. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Though I am surprised you are not looking for a pre-loved vehicle. Benefits of a pre-loved vehicle are a plenty.

Since you have not mentioned your primary usage, number of people in the family, budget etc. it is very difficult to suggest any other particular car.
Not looking at preloved because first car purchase. I want a brand new one for this situation.

Primary usage will be office commute a few times a week. Will be 1-2 people (me and the wife) in most cases. Family already has a Fortuner Diesel for the parents and sister.

Budget is ~50L. I mean, I think I can go lower but haven't really fallen in love with the other cars I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarediAni7518 View Post
Have you considered that Audi A4 as well ? It’s a very desirable product if you’re fine with a sedan. I sat in the current MY car and loved it. Do check it out once as well.
Thanks, will do. Lots of recommendations here for the Q3 as well. Going to check that out. Thanks guys.
huygens is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 19:39   #12
BHPian

Voted for Q3.
Q3 has always been recommended over the X1 even by enthusiasts. You now have the sports back which looks stunning as well, in addition to a wonderful TSI motor coupled with a great ride and handling balance and with the AWD it will notch up this feel even further.
The downer for cars from a luxury car brand over other brands would be in the maintenance costs which runs easily 2 lakhs plus per annum. This would be even more considering the fact that you compare the EV in a non luxury brand with ICE engine in a luxury brand. If you don’t have a problem with this recurring cost, then easily the choice is Q3.
Also remember for the EV cars, till date the rear seats are either compromised with upright position and or a knees up position.
CArspeed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 20:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Road trips won't be more than twice a year. And I'm guessing options like Delhi-Jaipur, Delhi-Agra etc will have decent charging infra? I'd just hate to lose too much range at high speeds but I think I can put up with these challenges overall. Thank you!
Delhi to Jaipur via the old highway (Manesar Behror) has excellent charging facilities. As does Delhi to Ambala/Chandigarh. But there is nothing on the Delhi Agra route, Yamuna Expressway or old Mathura Road. Nothing on the Sohna-Dausa stretch of the new Delhi Vadodara Mumbai expressway either.

Note that EV range will be considerably lesser on these new modern expressways where distances tend to be a bit longer and three digit speeds are constantly maintained. Most 5 star hotels provide charging facilities. Basically, you can’t do Delhi Agra same day return in an Ioniq 5 with adequate margin of safety, but with overnight stay it is easy peasy. Ditto for Delhi Jaipur.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 20:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Voted for Q3.
Q3 has always been recommended over the X1 even by enthusiasts. You now have the sports back which looks stunning as well, in addition to a wonderful TSI motor coupled with a great ride and handling balance and with the AWD it will notch up this feel even further.
So many Q3 recommendations def checking it out tonight, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
The downer for cars from a luxury car brand over other brands would be in the maintenance costs which runs easily 2 lakhs plus per annum. This would be even more considering the fact that you compare the EV in a non luxury brand with ICE engine in a luxury brand. If you don’t have a problem with this recurring cost, then easily the choice is Q3.
2L yearly? Damn.

The on-road difference between the X1 and the IONIQ is 9L right now. So over 5 years, this'll be 20L after fuel and maintenance? That's steep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Delhi to Jaipur via the old highway (Manesar Behror) has excellent charging facilities. As does Delhi to Ambala/Chandigarh. But there is nothing on the Delhi Agra route, Yamuna Expressway or old Mathura Road. Nothing on the Sohna-Dausa stretch of the new Delhi Vadodara Mumbai expressway either.

Note that EV range will be considerably lesser on these new modern expressways where distances tend to be a bit longer and three digit speeds are constantly maintained. Most 5 star hotels provide charging facilities. Basically, you can’t do Delhi Agra same day return in an Ioniq 5 with adequate margin of safety, but with overnight stay it is easy peasy. Ditto for Delhi Jaipur.
This is very useful, thanks. I guess charging at New Delhi Mumbai highway should be sorted in the next year?

Last edited by vb-saan : 25th February 2023 at 17:18. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
huygens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 09:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
What all aspects should I compare between the two cars?
What are some potential dealbreakers and other aspects I may have missed?
Hmm let's see.

Ioniq 5 vs. BMW X1
--------------------------------
48 lakhs vs. 53 lakhs OTR Delhi

0 to 100 - 5.2 s vs. 9.2 s (funny that BMW is 4 sec slower)
RWD vs FWD (funny which one is BMW)
215 hp vs 134 hp (now this one is not even funny)

Ventilated seats vs. none
360 camera vs none
ADAS vs. none
8 speakers vs. 6 speakers
Front and rear parking sensors vs. front only
Warranty - unlimited kms vs. 40,000 kms
More features vs. some features

Big in all dimensions vs. small
Future proof vs. feeling short changed
The best Hyundai has to offer vs. worst BMW has to offer

Finally, the icing on the cake

Free "fuel" vs. ~ Rs. 120, 000 in annual fuel costs

Seems pretty easy to me.

I had also written this earlier, the IONIQ 5 in developed markets competes with X3 in price and segment, not X1. So, really, it's a great deal here in India.

Go for the IONIQ 5, you'll love it!
inwester is offline   (48) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks