Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2023, 13:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Budget 12.5 lacs Ex Showroom -> Reasonably fun to drive and safe vehicle (AT preferred)

One of my friend is in the market for a vehicle with budget upto 12.5 lacs ex showroom.

He is upgrading from a Renault Triber and he also has a Tata Nexon Petrol AMT (driven mainly by wife) in the garage.

His main requirements are as follows:

1) Budget strictly upto maximum of 12.5 lacs ex showroom.

2) Prefers Maruti because of proximity of service centers, But is open to other manufacturers as well

3) The car has to be reasonably fun to drive (need not be a scorcher) but not neccassarily a boy racer.

4) The car has to have 6 Airbags.

5) Manual gearshift is Ok for him but if something falls with a goot AT in this budget, he is open for it.

6) Segment is not decided. It could be anything from a premium hatchback to a compact SUV or a C segment Sedan.

Based on his requirements, I have suggested him the Honda City V MT which would just touch his budget and upcoming Maruti FronX Zeta AT.

With the City V MT, he gets:

A decent engine (not sure if it could be called FTD in today's age, being NA), Honda's reliability and ample space. What he does not get is an AT transmission, 6 Airbags (AFAIK V model comes with 4 Airbags only) and perhaps an aftersales experience at par with Maruti/Hyundai. And the fact that Honda's future in India might not be very certain at this point of time.

With the FronX Zeta AT, he'll get:

6 Airbags, AT transmission and Turbo petrol engine. Now, the thing is not much is known about Boosterjet's performance in the new Zeta AT, but I am guessing it should be reasonably fun to drive even with the AT transmission. Then there is Maruti's after sales. What he loses out on is the overall space inside the cabin and boot space which is not very impressive, a crossover hatchback on "stilts" rather than a proper Sedan or SUV, and the fact that safety ratings (even with 6 airbags) is an unkown with the Baleno/FronX platform as it has not been tested yet by GNCAP.

Is there anything else worth recommending him at this point ?
DCEite is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 13:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Budget 12.5 lacs Ex Showroom -> Reasonably fun to drive and safe vehicle (AT preferred)

Ask him to check out the Baleno as well. The AMT is nothing to write home about but what I find is that sometimes when the gear ratios are well matched to the motor's power delivery and you've got a light clutch, the need for an automatic evaporates. I mean if the car makes it easy to do 20 all the way upto 60 in a single gear with more than enough pull throughout, then somehow the advantage of having an automatic diminishes. So do check out the Baleno manual to see if the gear ratios suit him well. The extended suspension travel in the facelifted model is also a big bonus when it comes to being able to carry speed and not brake too much over rough patches of road
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:19   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Budget 12.5 lacs Ex Showroom -> Reasonably fun to drive and safe vehicle (AT preferred)

Do check out the Hyundai trio as well- i20, Venue and the Sonet.

You can get the i20 N Line DCT as well as the Sonet HTX for 12.xx ex-showroom. If your friend is willing to spend 50k extra, the Venue SX(O) DCT is also available. All these cars fit within the budget, are reasonably fun to drive, feature a quick shifting DCT and 2 of them have 6 airbags as well(the Sonet also has it in the GTX+ variant).

My advise to him would be that if he is even slightly inclined towards an automatic, he should definitely go for it otherwise, he may end up hijacking the Nexon AMT and the need for an upgrade shall come up sooner than later.

Though if your friend is absolutely fine with an MT, then he may go for the Virtus or the Slavia as well(50k above his budget though one can get some discounts). In stock form, these cars are a tad slower than the City but the turbo does give you the kick and a remap in the future shall take the power output to 140 Bhp with torque bein close to 230NM.

Last edited by AYP : 22nd March 2023 at 14:21.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 16:59   #4
BHPian

Hi, you can get the 2023 Verna SX MT at introductory prices if he books it now. Has a lot of features, loads of space, 6 airbags too. It will be a perfect fit for him.

In AT, Hyundai i20 N-Line DCT will be perfect for him. Has good space, feature loaded, and the convenience of an AT too.

These 2 are the best options for him, another option in AT would be the Amaze.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th March 2023 at 13:00. Reason: Typos
MotorDev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 01:06   #5
BHPian

You should try the i20 NLine N8 DCT. I was so moved by the control(much improvement since previous Hyundais), the pickup and smooth NVH(even for a 3-pot) and the fine-tuned DCT that I booked one immediately after my Test Drive.
I had test driven the Manual(NA 1.2) , the iVT(NA 1.2) as well as the DCT (Turbo 1.0)
While the car definitely is boy racer material, driving with a light foot and rpms below 1500-1700 will give you a smooth city drive.
IVT NA 1.2 is a considerable option. Though the lethargy in that combination was killing me beyond a point really. Something feels missing while driving that(only my opinion; my 2016 Baleno MT petrol felt peppier) and that’s something you find in the Turbo 1.0 + DCT combination.

When I said control has improved since previous Hyundais, I was talking about Elite i20, Grand i10 and the likes.
Oh, and did I tell you the ex-showroom lies in the vicinity of 12,12,000. This is ex-showroom Delhi so you might find a good deal here as well.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th March 2023 at 13:01. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
SixPistons is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Please ask your friend to go check out the Kushaq Active and Ambition Classic (11.49 and 12.99 respectively). They tick all the boxes. I am not sure, if now they have started offering six airbags in all the variants.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 08:57   #7
BHPian

Considering the above requirements I would suggest Škoda Slavia and Kushaq Ambition variant.
Both come at 13 lakhs ex-showroom. But discounts are easily available.
In stock form too they are decently FTD.
But after 2-3 years you can go for a Remap. That will unlock the true potential of 1.0 TSI. Also aftermarket performance parts would be available easily for Škoda in contrast to others.

Also wait for Review of all new Verna to drop. Though Turbo variant would cross budget but have a look at the 1.5 MPI S(11 lakhs) or SX(12 lakhs).

Suggestion of Fronx is also good. But only in MT form.

IMO City wouldn’t fulfill the FTD criteria. It wouldn’t have the Turbo Kick.

Have a look at XUV3OO TurboSport too. The W8 turbo comes at around 11.65 lakhs ex showroom. I hear it’s good.

Last edited by Tanmay_868 : 25th March 2023 at 09:05. Reason: Additional Text
Tanmay_868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 10:29   #8
BHPian

There are plenty of options in SUVs and compact sedans. Top 5 VFM machines for your requirement can be:

1. The new Brezza (Rs.8.19 - 14.04 Lakh): Great GLC + Maruti reliability. The current version is a rip off from Evoke hence great design and decent space inside too. A very reliable car with a head turner stance.

2. Hyundai Creta base version (Rs.10.84 - 19.13 Lakh): This old timer is till date one of the best deals. With strong Hyundai service network and oodles of space, this can be a great car to own

3. Kia Seltos: If you prefer soul of Creta with butch looks, Seltos is the answer. It has dethroned Creta for all the right reasons and within the same price bracket, your friend can get a great deal. Facelift is due soon but existing model can be picked for some good discounts owing to Navratras

4. Scorpio - N: It fits the budget by a whisker and if your friend can stretch a bit, mid variant is a good choice

5. Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder: Toyota's reliability and super affordable service is a legacy in itself. This is a smart machine with soul of Brezza and adorning new looks with hybrid option too. I guess, it's also available in CNG.

There are plethora of options and loads of combinations when it comes to variants and their offerings.
Travelfarbeyond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 12:17   #9
BHPian

How about the current Ertiga 6 Spd AT?

Upgrade to the 16inch Alloys from the current XL6 and it becomes more butch looking. Lots of space, comfort, practicality, peace of mind and within budget.
Old 25th March 2023, 17:24   #10
BHPian

Kiger/Magnite Turbo CVT
4 stars at NCAP , 100bhp good driving dynamics.
Old 27th March 2023, 12:25   #11

Kiger Turbo CVT is definitely the go to choice here. Much safer than anything Hyundai/Kia would provide,and the Front. And much more spacious than Venue/Sonet,too. W
Very well tuned CVT,and a pocket rocket engine,and falls well within your budget.

Quite feature loaded,too,with wireless Android auto and true keyless entry. Everything you need for hassle-free driving.
Old 28th March 2023, 07:22   #12
BHPian

My recommendation will be for the Hyundai i20 N line N8 DCT. I just got this one as the third car in the family for the wifey.
The handling and the zippy nature of the turbo-DCT pairing is brilliant and it is almost a pocket rocket / hot hatch. It is helpful that it comes with paddle shifters, Bose speakers, dual pipe exhausts and 6 airbags.
Your friend might want to check this one out and do a test ride before plonking the money on another car.

Cheerio!
Old 28th March 2023, 07:39   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Considering the preference towards automatics, I would like to suggest the following cars:

1. Hyundai Venue S(O) Turbo DCT/ Venue N-Line N6 DCT
Quick shifting 7-speed DCT, adequately feature loaded and, a large number of service centers and parts availability, and the S(O) DCT costs 11.36 lakhs ex-showroom, but if you want something even sportier the N-line N6 DCT is also an option at 12.60 lakhs ex-showroom. You only get 4 airbags in both these models, but the N6 DCT does offer all disc brakes, alloy wheels, keyless entry, automatic climate control, push-button start, leatherette upholstery, a cooled glove box, electrically adjustable and retractable ORVMS, a sunroof, ambient lighting, puddle lamps, and a wireless charger for the added premium, so if you feel the extra features and sportier looks are worth the premium, do go with the N-line DCT.

2. Kia Sonet HTX DCT
The same gearbox as the Venue and costing 11.99 lakhs ex-showroom, the Sonet offers specs that are in somewhat of a middle ground between the Venue and the Venue N-Line. A good option to go for if you like the design and feel the extra specs are worth the premium over the Venue. In my opinion, the HTX DCT offers the best combination of value and features for the price as compared to the Venue siblings. Do check it out!

3. Hyundai i20 Asta(O) DCT/ i20 N-Line N8 DCT
The top-of-the-line i20 offers all the features you could look for in a sub-15 lakh car and the N-Line further ups the ante with sporty styling and a sportier ride too as well. Considering the price of the Asta(O) DCT stands at 11.68 lakhs ex-showroom while the N8 DCT is only marginally more expensive at 12.12 lakhs ex-showroom, I feel the N8 DCT should be the way to go if you are looking for a hot hatch.

Other options worth checking out are the Renault Kiger RXZ Turbo CVT at 11 lakhs ex-showroom, Nissan Magnite XV Premium (O) Turbo CVT at 10.78 lakhs ex-showroom.

I would recommend going for the i20 N-line DCT from among the lot owing to the fact that you do own an SUV in the Nexon, a hot hatch would make a more complete garage, and because it offers the most sporty and feature-loaded trim in your price range.

If manuals are fine then the base models of the Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, VW Taigun, Skoda Kushaq, VW Virtus, Skoda Slavia, Hyundai Verna, Mahindra XUV300, Honda City could all be considered but they won't be as well specced or have 6 airbags barring the Creta and Seltos which have 6 airbags standard across all variants.

Last edited by bijims : 28th March 2023 at 07:54.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 00:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Is there anything else worth recommending him at this point ?
I don’t think you’ve mentioned what exactly will the car be used for? Daily commute and will it be spending most of the time inside the city and the Nexon will be for the highway trips?
If that’s the case at 12.5Lakhs I feel like one car that no one is considering and maybe he could consider if he’s not in a hurry is the Upcoming TATA Punch EV. I would have recommend the Punch EV just for the his need for safety ( Though I don’t believe 6 Airbags= Safety. There’s just so much more that goes into making A care safe) the current ICE Punch is a big no since it lakhs Punch. But if he can wait around for the Punch EV, I think he’ll be really happy with it more than any of the others. It’ll be automatic and around 12-13L and it will be powerful and quite comfortable to drive in.
I would also ask him to test ride the Tiago EV once but the Tiago would be a major step down from the triber and might just be too small. But its practicality and performance might spike an interest into the Punch EV.
Another car he could consider is the Citroen eC3 right in his budget but performance might not be up to expectations
If he’s only looking for ICE then i20 Top line DCT would be perfect. If he’s keen on Suzuki, should probable go for the Fronz or Baleno or rather the Toyota Glanza for better service experience.
If he also doesn’t have issue with used cars, the options open up a lot. He can get much better performance at that price from an older Mercedes A Class. You’ll get performance comfort.
But if I were you with a 12.5L budget for a car for myself when i already have a Nexon in my garage, I would treat myself and go for the Mahindra THAR RWD 1.5L Diesel.
Old 1st April 2023, 15:10   #15

Magnite Xv Premium Cvt 1.0 Litre Turbo : Very Well Designed Ergonomically , Very Eager Engine Mated To Excellent Cvt , Practilality, 360 Deg Camera, Hill Hold Assist, 4 Star Safety Rating. Go For It And It Will Cost You Less Than Your Budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks