Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2023, 16:18   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wife & me want to learn driving | Thinking of practicing on Revv self-drive rental for 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseFool View Post
Would you know how much Honda will charge for a full check-up? Also what do you mean by upgrade head unit?
Not sure - shouldn't be more than a few thousand and if the car is all clear - you can ask if you can offset the few thousand against service bill for any work you intend to carry out through Honda A.S.S.
Like if they say suspension is weak, use it as a bargaining point and get the work carried out through Honda A.S.S. and have the general check up amount adjusted against the Suspension work - but clarify this upfront.

Either ways, a few thousand is worth the cost when you're buying something worth a few lakhs! Do take a trial of the Honda Jazz (even with you as a passenger if you aren't confident of driving though do drive around the complex parking lot if possible) so any odd noises or behavior can be brought up during the general check up at Honda.

By upgrade the head unit I mean maybe swap the existing music system with a newer one that has android auto / apple car play. Make sure to avoid cutting / splicing any wires though - many offer plug and play solutions and even come with a connector so the steering controls, etc. can work.
This is something you can do later IF you're satisfied with the car and actually feel the lack of integrated maps.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 17:25   #47

Re: Wife & me want to learn driving | Thinking of practicing on Revv self-drive rental for 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Seems like a good option if the mechanicals are in order : follow the team bhp checklist and if possible for additional security have it checked at Honda A.S.S.
The 50K mark should get the clutch, brakes, suspension checked out once by a professional.

It's a V trim, so mid-level variant that comes with alloys and the like. If you miss integrated maps can upgrade the head unit later on as maybe needed.
Quote:
Not sure - shouldn't be more than a few thousand and if the car is all clear - you can ask if you can offset the few thousand against service bill for any work you intend to carry out through Honda A.S.S.
Like if they say suspension is weak, use it as a bargaining point and get the work carried out through Honda A.S.S. and have the general check up amount adjusted against the Suspension work - but clarify this upfront.

Either ways, a few thousand is worth the cost when you're buying something worth a few lakhs! Do take a trial of the Honda Jazz (even with you as a passenger if you aren't confident of driving though do drive around the complex parking lot if possible) so any odd noises or behavior can be brought up during the general check up at Honda.

By upgrade the head unit I mean maybe swap the existing music system with a newer one that has android auto / apple car play. Make sure to avoid cutting / splicing any wires though - many offer plug and play solutions and even come with a connector so the steering controls, etc. can work.
This is something you can do later IF you're satisfied with the car and actually feel the lack of integrated maps.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will be taking my father-in-law to test drive. He has been driving cars for 20+ years and I guess he may know some stuff. I think if there are issues with the car, I could ask Spinny itself to rectify else I will negotiate with Honda to try and set-off the check-up cost.

Also, what is your view on the condition of the tyres. I noticed that rear tyres are pretty worn out.
Old 27th May 2023, 01:02   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, what is your view on the condition of the tyres. I noticed that rear tyres are pretty worn out.
Honestly best to go see the car and have a qualified person also look at it as there's only so much advise that can be given without seeing and driving the car in person.

It seems the rear tyres are the original and the front tyres have been replaced with another brand.

I personally prefer buying used cars in as is condition after getting it verified by a trusty mechanic who has worked on such cars / authorized center and having them do the repairs using genuine or better than OEM parts which a used car dealer may not do.
Old 27th May 2023, 09:13   #49

Quote:
Honestly best to go see the car and have a qualified person also look at it as there's only so much advise that can be given without seeing and driving the car in person.

It seems the rear tyres are the original and the front tyres have been replaced with another brand.

I personally prefer buying used cars in as is condition after getting it verified by a trusty mechanic who has worked on such cars / authorized center and having them do the repairs using genuine or better than OEM parts which a used car dealer may not do.
Yes given that I have very less knowledge and don't know anyone who can help me out I'm preferring platforms like Spinny.

Here is another option I found and I think this is slightly better than the Spinny one. Check out Honda Jazz 1.2L I-VTEC V at ₹ 5,30,000 https://buy.24c.in/kbrPgD

Cars24 one is even giving the OEM service history and seems genuine.

Please let me know your thoughts. Planning to visit them both today.

Last edited by Axe77 : 27th May 2023 at 09:19. Reason: Minor typo and caps where needed [i —>I]
Old 27th May 2023, 09:25   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone who has lamented the poor condition of self-driven rental cars in India, thanks mostly to the ill treatment they are subjected to by apathetic drivers, I beseech you to not add to my woes. Instead buy a second-hand AT car for cheap and practice your chops on that. Once you are good enough you can upgrade to a new car.
Old 27th May 2023, 13:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Yes given that I have very less knowledge and don't know anyone who can help me out I'm preferring platforms like Spinny.

Here is another option I found and I think this is slightly better than the Spinny one. Check out Honda Jazz 1.2L I-VTEC V at ₹ 5,30,000 https://buy.24c.in/kbrPgD

Please let me know your thoughts. Planning to visit them both today.
Spinny Jazz looks better, this red one has its right rear door and right rear fender poorly repainted, not even colour matched properly. Also, the kind of wear on the brake pedal would indicate it’s done much more than the listed 44k km. Interior too, white one was in better shape.

Also, remember the 2015 Jazz V manual was around 8.8L on road, asking 5.3L for an 8 year old repainted car is insanity. Max you should look to pay is 3.5-3.8L.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 15:05   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Spinny Jazz looks better, this red one has its right rear door and right rear fender poorly repainted, not even colour matched properly. Also, the kind of wear on the brake pedal would indicate it’s done much more than the listed 44k km. Interior too, white one was in better shape.

Also, remember the 2015 Jazz V manual was around 8.8L on road, asking 5.3L for an 8 year old repainted car is insanity. Max you should look to pay is 3.5-3.8L.
Unfortunately it's all proceed much higher. Also i just checked the spinny jazz got booked 😔

Now need to look for other options
Old 28th May 2023, 07:07   #53

Hey guys.

Went ahead and booked this Baleno.

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...-2016/8631206/
Old 29th May 2023, 21:36   #54

Any comments? I hope nothing is really off. Will be closing the payment tomorrow and taking delivery.
Old 30th May 2023, 16:33   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any comments? I hope nothing is really off. Will be closing the payment tomorrow and taking delivery.
Not sure if anything is off without seeing the car in person - I am sure you would have done your due dilligence by showing a reputed mechanic / maruti service + test drive + TBHP used car checklist + other tips shared by members on team bhp; but I personally find the price too high for a 7 year old car.

A brand new base model Baleno would be 7.5L and comes with new everything + warranty. You will miss out on some features, but engine will be BS6.2 & E20 fuel compatible; safety features will be similar; etc.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 18:28   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys.

Went ahead and booked this Baleno.

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...-2016/8631206/
Seems odd that AD mentions 3 new tyres. Was this a Accident car that only 3 new tyres were replaced. Also you are paying too high premium for a 7 years old car with 53K on odo. New one is available with in 2-3 lakhs of quoted price. Check the service history thoroughly. There are no holy cows in used car market.

would suggest Increase your budget a bit & try to buy a new car. you can get Altroz DCT too by adding another 2 Lakh. Agree it's not a small amount but peace of mind is important.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 30th May 2023 at 18:53.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 18:56   #57

Quote:
Not sure if anything is off without seeing the car in person - I am sure you would have done your due dilligence by showing a reputed mechanic / maruti service + test drive + TBHP used car checklist + other tips shared by members on team bhp; but I personally find the price too high for a 7 year old car.

A brand new base model Baleno would be 7.5L and comes with new everything + warranty. You will miss out on some features, but engine will be BS6.2 & E20 fuel compatible; safety features will be similar; etc.
Yes I did see that but we wanted some of the features that dont appear in the base model. We had given up the option of buying a new car altogether given the current parking situation and that a new car is pretty much 4-6 months wait time.

TD was done. Have done the basic checks and the service history check. Will book a inspection with Maruthi to ensure no surprises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Seems odd that AD mentions 3 new tyres. Was this a Accident car that only 3 new tyres were replaced. Also you are paying too high premium for a 7 years old car with 53K on odo. New one is available with in 2-3 lakhs of quoted price. Check the service history thoroughly. There are no holy cows in used car market.

would suggest Increase your budget a bit & try to buy a new car. you can get Altroz DCT too by adding another 2 Lakh. Agree it's not a small amount but peace of mind is important.
Agreed. But in the south the used car market is heavily over priced than the North. Given that there are 2 learners at home I felt its better to buy old one and use for a few years before upgrading once I get my house with proper parking space.
WiseFool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 08:03   #58

Update. Car has been delivered without any hitch on 30th May. Was checked by a retired MSIL person and then taken to Popular Vehicles for a checkup. Only findings were rusted discs and a portion of the suspension is bent (Spinny staff came and examined and concluded nothing to worry about). Even Popular mentioned no concern just that after some time I'll get noise. Will post pics in some time.
WiseFool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 22:32   #59
BHPian

I recently came onto this discussion since I too have a slipped disc.

When we have a slipped disc, we must avoid sudden movements and spinal tension. While doctors advise against riding bikes, should they also permit driving? Most likely, they shouldn't.

I've been told not to sit for extended periods of time, therefore I can't go on long road trips. For me, driving for four to five hours nonstop without stopping was normal. There were instances when I traveled 1000 kilometers in a single day (When we didn't have expressways). Likely, I am paying the price for my sins.

I've stopped riding my Bullet STD 350, not because I don't want to, but because it hurts a lot now when it kicks back. I still use the scooter to run errands around the vicinity.

My XUV5OO's rear can be folded into a flatbed, so I can still travel great distances on it, but its suspension is meant to murder back pain sufferers.

I've given up on owning a new open Thar, but I'm considering adding a Citroen C3 to my collection. It rides like a carpet.

The French have somehow mastered the art of balancing comfort and handling. Take a look at Duster and Logan. Both provided a very comfortable ride, and I now believe Citroen is a gift to people like us.

Not to mention, it's not the end of the world. Strengthening core muscles can help prevent future occurrences of slipped discs and treat them over time.

I'm hoping to drive on highways once more.

Last edited by dicor : 6th November 2023 at 22:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks