Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 14:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Looking for a used daily driver under 5 lakhs | Does buying a 10-year old German make sense?

Use the 5 lakh loan and stretch your budget a bit more to buy a more reliable car maybe like a Hyundai Venue or other cars at this price-point. I have seen cases where even 5-6 year old German cars have high maintenance costs, no point risking it on a 10 year old one. But hey, if you believe you can manage it, do go ahead.
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 14:51   #32

Re: Looking for a used daily driver under 5 lakhs | Does buying a 10-year old German make sense?

Hello!
If you are looking for a cheap German used car and you want a car without headache then you should go for C200 as all others listed in your list are heavy on pocket, the E350 is V6 and the transmission of that vehicle is not up to the mark, also it has issues with disc pads as they wear out too fast due to the heavy engine.
Skoda superb TSI is another headache as it comes with a lot of issues like fuel pump motor failing anytime, several lights popping out and a lot
Audi A4 could also be a nice choice but C200 would be the best, if you don’t mind spending on airmatic shocks then you can go for A6 also but amongst all your choices C200 is the best.
C200 has some common issues like EZS failing and some FR and RR SAM module problems which can be fixed for a relatively low cost.
Thanks
Areen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 01:13   #33
BHPian

If you insist on having a old german as a daily then from your list the Audi A4 will be a good choice.The CVT is relatively fuss free and no mechatronic issues like the DSG ,the 2.0 Tdi is a good choice of engine too especially the 177 hp tune that came in that generation.
Just make sure to take it a reputed FNG who have experience dealing with these cars and give it a thorough checkup or else there is a good chance that you might ended up stranded on the road due to maybe even a small fault as these cars are mostly over engineered and are really complex and sometimes downright irritating in the way they work especially as they age.
VwRabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 07:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakverma97 View Post
As irrational the list could be, I am really looking for all the inputs you guys have to share with me.
The upkeep of a German/Euro car at this price and age will empty your wallet.

Heck, I'd be reluctant to touch even a 5 year old German car if it did not come with a vehicle or mechanical warranty.

You will face two challenges:
  • Identifying a competent garage to maintain the car
  • Exorbitant cost of parts

For parts, you can source via Ebay but you'll still need a garage to sort you out and this remains a challenge in India.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 13:36   #35

You won’t get a loan for a 10+year old car. Pls avoid all options you suggested, I own a 2015 superb 1.8tsi and a 2011 bmw 520d. Even the superb is very hard to maintain with its high pressure fuel pump, abs module problems, Evap and purge valve error, DSG and so on. If you want the car to drive well it will cost a lot and be in the workshop most of the time. If you really want a German car I would suggest something like a rapid or vento in this budget. If you’re ok with japs, you will be more than happy with a city, altis, civic and so on. And if we are saying all this abt a superb, just imagine how it will be owning a cheap/old C200 or E350
Marc3800 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 15:27   #36

Hello All,

I am extremely happy to see all of the replies and suggestions shared by you all, feel extremely lucky to be a part of such a supportive and educative community.

Now, what I could comprehend from the discussion is that I need to STAY AWAY from a German Car, especially such an old one.

Now don't get me wrong, I know it's an irrational decision, both financially and technically, but the sole reason why I wanted to get into a German Ownership was the sheer enthusiasm these machines have to offer. As a kid, seeing people drive around in these cars, I got stary eyed and always dreamt of owning one in my twenties. That is the only reason why I have listed only the older models of these cars. Also, one reason is that now we do not know what the NGT rules would be for ICEs, and hence I wanted to take my chances and go ahead with the German Ownership. But all of you are right with the recommendations and now I would probably want to re-look at the options and even consider buying a new car altogether. So in this interest I have a few more options, which might not be very enthusiastic, but what else can we do. So here the list goes again -

PRE-OWNED VEHICLE

1. VW Polo GT TSI (2015 - 2021) - Available at higher prices, Rs.5 - Rs.11 Lakh respectively
2. Honda Accord V6 (2011-2013) - Prices not available, very less options in the market
3. Fiat Punto Abarth - Prices start from Rs.8 Lakh
4. Honda City CVT Gen 4 - Available at higher prices, Rs. 8 - Rs.10 Lakh
5. Hyundai Verna VTVT (2017-2019) - Prices start from Rs.8 Lakh
6. Hyundai Elantra VTVT (2015 - 2018) - Prices start from Rs. 8 Lakh

Now out of the above listed cars, only the Polo, Punto, Accord and City would be mods and tuner friendly, rest would just be a plane jane car that can be a reliable daily.

NEW VEHICLE

1. Hyundai I20 N-Line - On-road (Delhi) price - Rs.14 Lakh approximately
2. Mahindra Thar RWD P AT - On-Road (Delhi) price - Rs.14 Lakh approximately
3. Skoda Slavia 1.0 TSI MT (Getting a very good deal)

Now again, these cars are very different in the category, but fit the best in the budget taken. If at all, the consideration is towards a new car, scope of modifications become very thin and close to none due to lack of cash to play around with.

Seeking guidance again.

Cheers.
Old 3rd June 2023, 11:15   #37
BHPian

The car may cost you 5 lacs to buy. But to maintain it's still a 60 lac car. The original buyers got rid off it before major repairs kicked in. It is a different matter if the 5 lac was pocket change for you and you are just going to use it as a project car. But here you are taking a loan for even 5 lacs. Which means if a 2,3 or 5 lac repair comes, you won't be able to afford it.
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:23   #38

The most sensible decision when you are taking a loan is to buy a new car according to your budget. In my opinion, buy a new Ignis Sigma (bargain on discount) and modify it according to your needs. It fits most of your requirements. Its a peppy car with good pick up, engine is smooth and comfortable for 3-4 people on board.
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:28   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakverma97 View Post
Hello All,

I am extremely happy to see all of the replies and suggestions shared by you all, feel extremely lucky to be a part of such a supportive and educative community.
. If at all, the consideration is towards a new car, scope of modifications become very thin and close to none due to lack of cash to play around with.

Seeking guidance again.

Cheers.
1. Do NOT fiddle with any of these brand new cars in your list with your project related modifications. Likely result will be broken warranty and potential headaches with the authorities too.

2. Go and find yourself one of these cars to feed your hunger for a project car.
a. A rev happy Honda V Tec 1.6 Gold or even a 1.3.
b. A Baleno or Baleno Alturas from the early 2000’s.
c. A Mitsubishi Lancer Petrol
d. A Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia Petrol
e. A Mitsubishi Outlander Petrol

You may not need to spend much in acquiring these. And the cash left over after the purchase, can be used wisely for great experiments and modifications.

3. Do not take a loan to fuel your hunger for a project car.

All the best.
Old 3rd June 2023, 13:28   #40
BHPian

I would recommend getting new car only with bit of stretch budget Maruti Swift is a good option and mod friendly, I used to own Swift long back and it served well in terms of mods and daily use.

Any used car in that budget will be expensive to maintain and suck your finances. Let's say even if it doesn't then would you like to give up on a car in 2-3 years on which you spent so much time and effort as a project.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks