Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2004, 16:48   #1
BHPian

Hi ,
Saw a mahindra classic the other day and absolutely fell in love with it... i needed some info on it.

I am in bangalore.. and was wondering if second hand classics were available here.. and for what price i can expect to get one. Also wanted to know if classics are available in 4WD versions.
And... how is the maintenance on a classic? And is it cheap to run and maintain too? Just wanted to know this because im gonna have to take care of it since dad is gonna be getting himself another car.
Also.... the classic is an opentop isnt it? In case of rain and stuff... does it have the other canvas top that can be put on?

Sorry for asking so many questions... but i really needed to find these out.....
And if possible please let me know if there are any classics that you know for sale.

Thanks a lot
Old 1st October 2004, 17:44   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Anush,

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] and was wondering if second hand classics were available here.. and for what price i can expect to get one. Also wanted to know if classics are available in 4WD versions.
There were a handful in Bangalore, but they are available in plentiful from Bombay and Delhi. Classics were manufactured ONLY in 4x4 mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
And... how is the maintenance on a classic? And is it cheap to run and maintain too? Just wanted to know this because im gonna have to take care of it since dad is gonna be getting himself another car.
Extremely cheap to run. I have just crossed the 1 lac km mark in my Classic and the only mechanical replacements have been the radiator, brake pads, clutch plate (at 85000 kms!!) and some miscellany. Servicing costs are also laughably cheap.

The reason for the Classics reliability is the simplistic design. Hell, a recent suspension overall cost me all of Rs.4000!

The fuel efficiency in city is about 12 kpl, while with the air-conditioner (I have one custom installed) drops to 10.5 - 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Also.... the classic is an opentop isnt it? In case of rain and stuff... does it have the other canvas top that can be put on?
Yes, every Classic came with a ragtop that can keep all that rain outside, but for the odd drop or two.

Just a couple of pointers. A Classic is not easy to live with as your daily driver (It still is mine!). Test drive one comprehensively before making your decision. Also keep a lot of time and patience aside...these will help in upkeep of your Jeep.

But the most important for potential Classic buyers. Just make sure that it is an original Classic and not a CJ340 after-market convert. 1996 onward were the Classic years, prior to that only 340's were available.

GTO
Old 1st October 2004, 17:45   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Oops, forgot to mention the price. Decently maintained Classics can be had for 1.5 to 1.75 lacs. Poor ones go for about a lac, and exceptionally well maintained ones have had a sticker of 2.5 lac upward.

GTO
Old 1st October 2004, 18:09   #4
BHPian

Thanks GTO

Will start looking for a well maintained one here.

Thanks for all the info
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks