Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 03:51   #1

Swift VDi+ABS or ZXi? Wish there was a ZDi!

I have been quietly following the forums in this site for quite a while and now I need help in selecting my first car. My budget is 5-6 lakhs and had almost decided on the Swift VDi after reading reviews by Jaggu, GeekSrik, DieselFan and a few others. I myself found the car more drivable in the city compared to the Swift ZXi.

I had earlier considered the Indica DLX with ABS and Airbags which costs way less than the VDi, but my wife wouldn’t own a popular taxi. I even checked out the new Indica Dicor which seemed to be a compromise. Also, the Indica is notorious for poor quality of parts, fit & finish and careless dealer attitude. So I am afraid it might start rusting as I live close to the sea. I have never been impressed with GM or Hyundai though their cars felt really good to drive. Palio doesn’t offer ABS, so Maruti it is! With a wide spares and service network and easier insurance claims.

Now the VDi+ABS is Rs.15k more expensive than the ZXi, on-road price (Chennai). But in lieu of the fuel efficient diesel engine in the VDi, in the ZXi I get:
Airbags
Better seat belts
Rear window demister
Rear window wiper
Alloy wheels + wider tyres
Integrated music system + Steering controls + 4 Speakers (factory fitted)
Tilt Steering
Remote locking (5 doors)
Auto climate control
Cigarette lighter
Short waiting period

I am sure I can adjust without most of the above except an audio system and wider tyres on stock steel rims which would add another Rs.20k to the VDi. Dunno if I will miss the above mentioned features in future though. I guess when you are on the wheel and enjoying the drive none of those would matter.

According to my modest calculations the running cost of the VDi is half that of the ZXi, and is equal to the running cost of my low FE bike (Bullet). So I wouldn't think twice in taking the VDi out against my bike, but that would not be the case with the ZXi after the initial fun wears out.

Considering that am a passionate biker and will continue to be so, I see myself doing 8-10k km per annum by car in the next three years including holiday drives to neighbouring states (50:50 City:Highway). Which may go up in all possibility if its a diesel. Going by the current fuel rates, it would cost Rs.40k per annum on a petrol and Rs.21k per annum on a diesel. The cost savings on fuel is not huge. But a quick weekend run to Pondy would cost me only 500 bucks on a diesel compared to the 1000 bucks on a petrol.

I guess am quite stuck with running costs. How much more does it cost to maintain the VDi over the ZXi? Servicing, spares, fixing rattles, suspension life, etc? What bout driver fatigue over long distances? Is driving more comfortable in a petrol car? I am likely to keep the car for at least 6 years, may not be my only car till then.[/COLOR]

]If the maintenance + spares of the VDi is going to cost even Rs.10k more than the ZXi per annum, then I don't see value in the VDi. I know the FIAT 1.3 MJD is far superior to most other diesel engines we have seen in India but is it on par with its petrol counterparts? If yes, at what cost? Is it worth it?

Thanks for reading the long post! Do comment

Note from Mod - Kindly refrain from using external format tags. Please compile without formatting tags offline and add them on he forum

Last edited by ajmat : 9th February 2008 at 06:59.
Old 9th February 2008, 09:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Too early to speculate on maintenance since i have just done 15k kms till now, so far so good. but i love the FE

Coming back to your question i would suggest you go with Zxi since running is just 10k kms.
Old 9th February 2008, 09:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

swift zxi would be a better option as the running is too less.till now no issues with the swift diesel engine and it is going on like a work horse.sweet one with great mileage and not much of a maintenence.
i would appreciate if you go for a swift zxi as the features like climate control would be very usefull.
ram
Old 9th February 2008, 11:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Word has it that MSIL plans to launch the ZDi very very soon. My dealer has told me that two ZDi variants have come in the showroom. So if you can wait a bit you can go for the ZDi.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:20   #5
VBV
BHPian

It will happen sooner than later. With GetZ diesel, fabia out and punto coming in. The space for premium diesel hatch is going to get hot. Maruti cannot miss out on an easy opportunity.

VBV
Old 9th February 2008, 11:28   #6
BHPian

Maruti would shortly be releasing the ZDi, they were waiting for the higher end versions of Punto and Getz to be launched and then launch the ZDi to beat them on the VFM trumpcard...
Old 9th February 2008, 11:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

I agree that you pay more for a diesel. But diesel is more fun to drive. The fuel costs for running per km is almost half for the diesel. As you have pointed out, after the initial fun wears out, FE plays an important role. And also, once you get the diesel, you will be interested in more small fun trips, just because of the low running costs. So running will be more than you thought.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Word has it that MSIL plans to launch the ZDi very very soon. My dealer has told me that two ZDi variants have come in the showroom. So if you can wait a bit you can go for the ZDi.
BUSA did your dealer mentioned any tentative dates for the launch. I was palnning to book the VDI next week and here dealers dont have any idea about ZDI. So if it is coming in next one month then i will wait.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohithdr View Post
BUSA did your dealer mentioned any tentative dates for the launch. I was palnning to book the VDI next week and here dealers dont have any idea about ZDI. So if it is coming in next one month then i will wait.
No tentative date of launch yet. But should be any time soon. MSIL has lots up its sleeves, SX4 1.9L, Swift Dezire, Splash, Swift ZDi, A Star. This is one manufacturer which is hell bent on maintaining the maximum market share
Old 10th February 2008, 21:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

as of date i dont have any confirmation on the launch of zdi or the a-star as such.splash launch is delayed maybe because the details of the budget are not finalised.
busa were did you get this confirmation on zdi.if the car is in showroom post some pics in support.

ram
Old 10th February 2008, 21:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ Kushykutti: When are you planning to buy this vehicle? If it is very urgent, then go with Zxi otherwise would recommend you to wait for some more time till Zdi and 1.3MJD are released. And maybe (My Guess) Getz may come down in pricing due to the market dynamics who knows :-). Then you will have wide range to choose from.

Last edited by snaronikar : 10th February 2008 at 21:22.
Old 10th February 2008, 21:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Depending on your running. I would suggest the zxi. Its more value for money than the ?di's. You would surely love those features. I say a lot of them are really essential items.
Old 10th February 2008, 22:29   #13
BHPian

Does the ZXi come with Tilt Steering now? I don't have them on my car which is over nearly 2.5 years old now.
Old 10th February 2008, 22:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys just confirmed, ZDi variant will not be launched in the Swift. Infact the ZDi is being launched in the Swift Dezire & not the Swift hatch. Sorry for the misunderstanding, just spoke to the dealer.
Old 11th February 2008, 16:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Chevy spark with ABS should be cheaper than ZXi, save tata. nice zippy car, and good for its price (the slashed one!)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks