Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2014, 17:46   #61
BHPian

Re: New Hatch or used sedan?

Hey! Congrats on your new purchase. SX4 is a practical and a highly reliable car. You have made an excellent choice. Do post pictures of our new car. And check with the service centers on oil changes and stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbagga7 View Post
Finally went ahead with the used car.
Bought a (dec) 2008 37k driven sx4 zxi.
Got it checked by the mechanic beforehand and only then finalised the purchase.
The car cost me 3.25lakh including the transfer charges and dealer fee. The car is in very good condition.
Would like to thank all tbhp members who guided and helped me in my first car purchase.
Old 24th October 2014, 14:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a Palio for around 1 Lakh - 2003 or so models? I won't be using it too much - maybe some weekend fun runs and once in a few months, a long drive.
Old 24th October 2014, 15:44   #63
BHPian

I would also like to suggest Maruti Suzuki Ritz, its a nice one for people with height.i am 6-1 and found Ritz and Wagon R to be comfortable.

Since you are looking for a city car, you can check out Celerio AMT as well. Though the waiting periods are pretty long.
Old 24th October 2014, 17:58   #64

Here are few pics of the car. (Please excuse me if the quality is not good. I'm not a good photographer.)
Got the car checked by the mechanic. The next service is due after around 1000km. Will get the air filter, oil filter and engine oil changed.
Attached Thumbnails
New Hatch or used sedan?-1414153429287.jpg  

New Hatch or used sedan?-1414153461676.jpg  

New Hatch or used sedan?-1414153479850.jpg  

New Hatch or used sedan?-1414153495836.jpg  

New Hatch or used sedan?-1414153515629.jpg  

New Hatch or used sedan?-1414153547706.jpg  

New Hatch or used sedan?-1414153588100.jpg  

arjunbagga7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 21:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Finally went ahead with the used car.
Bought a (dec) 2008 37k driven sx4 zxi.
Got it checked by the mechanic beforehand and only then finalised the purchase.
The car cost me 3.25lakh including the transfer charges and dealer fee. The car is in very good condition.
Would like to thank all tbhp members who guided and helped me in my first car purchase.
Congrats on the purchase.

The car is in too good shape -- can't see even a single scratch. Have the bumpers been repainted?

The reading on the odo, though, is suspiciously low. Hope you checked the service history.

Can you share details of the dealer, fees, warranty, etc and the overall buying experience for the benefit of bhp-ains?

Thanks.

Last edited by naru : 9th November 2014 at 21:58.
Old 11th November 2014, 16:17   #66

The overall buying experience was good (can't say excellent due to the delay) .
I had already had my driver take the test drive. On the day of finalising the purchase, took a mechanic with me and after getting the car checked, finally paid the token amount on friday afternoon.
Though the dealer had promised to deliver the car by saturday. It was only on tuesday evening that I could finally get the car. (The wait was due to some loan processing procedure delay. But, it was very annoying. Though I had prepared myself for monday but, tuesday was like far far away.)

The breakup of the payment was as follows
Value 3,10,000
Loan processing fees 4,650
Transfer charges 2,700
Commission 6,200
Total 3,23,550

The dealer was Mr. Ravindra Singh( 9810134422)

Regarding warranty and guarantee, the dealer himself had assured about the car being a non accidental one , but no other such thing from the company.( the extended warranty was over in 2012)

The dealer had told me about a touch up being done on the car including a paintjob for the bumper.

Yeah, actually i do admit, the previous owner had taken good care of the care. Except the regular filter, oil change, drycleaning and tuning, the only thing i had to get done during the first service was the brake cleanup ( There was noise from brakes, i had expected brake pad change but the only cleanup was required.)

Yes, before buying I had called up MSI workshop and they told me the last service was done at 32k in 2012 feb. Even the tyres do not show any signs of greater wear and tear. When i asked the mechanic about the odometer tampering, he told me the car had not done anything above 42-45k kms even if there was any tampering. Except for complaining about the price being higher by 10-20k, he did not find any other cons associated with the car. I believe a little premium for such a maintained car was not a big deal.
arjunbagga7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 13:09   #67
BHPian

Quote:
The breakup of the payment was as follows
Value 3,10,000
Loan processing fees 4,650
Transfer charges 2,700
Commission 6,200
Total 3,23,550
Thanks for the break-up
Old 19th December 2014, 17:27   #68
BHPian

Congrats Arjun!
And welcome to the "SX4" club. I really feel it's an underrated car. The interiors are definitely boring but the engine, oversized tyres and the strong built makes it fun to drive. I hope the car serves you well. Keep revin!
Old 19th December 2014, 22:06   #69

Well, I'm in that same dilemma. A month before I booked Maruti Ritz VXi and since I'm also buying a new home for my marriage next year, I had to cancel the Ritz booking since the budget for home sky rocketed.

Now, I was looking for used Swift/Ritz preferably upwards of 2009 of 3.5L budget. I went and checked in Maruti TrueValue used car showroom and took a Swift TD. I wasnt impressed since I felt there was no juice left in the engine.

Then, I searched in OLX and found a 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXi petrol which has clocked 60K km's. I called up the owner and booked an appointment. But when I went there, surprise surprise, he was a dealer and there minimum 50-60 cars parked all in good condition(at least the exteriors).

Then I saw the Fiesta. The car is in decent shape, a one or two scratches but nothing big. Cold started the engine, sounds seems quiet and good. Took a look at the interiors, feet fabrics and everything were looking pretty clean. All tires were pretty much worn out with minimum threads.

I asked for the service records for the car and dealers looked surprised. He said, nowadays no one is maintaining the service records much to my amusement and also said that some car owners dont even have the original RC. I gave him a stern reply and he had his mouth shut. I went and checked the sticker of the showroom name and found out it was MPL Ford. I also checked the RC, engine no.

So my question is,

1. Can I go any MPL Ford in Chennai and ask for the service records of this particular car providing the car number?

2. I'm a complete newbie regarding cars, so I need a good car mechanic to test the car before I make a move. So is there any service where I can take a mechanic with me and pay him for his service in Chennai?

The dealers quotes 3.20L for the car and I intend to start the negotiation at 2.50L since I need to change the tires, alloys and a new ICE setup.
Old 19th December 2014, 23:06   #70

Thanks @ashton singh
Well yeah i do love the car.. Though its a gas guzzler. But, the gigantic wheels and the look similar to what u wud get from an SUV is definitely a delight.
Very happy to own one.
Have been on a highway trip too, feels great.
Old 7th April 2015, 19:46   #71
BHPian

Hi Guys,

**Long post and longer questions alert**

I currently own a 2011 Etios Liva V Petrol with about 39K kms on the Odo. This was a used car purchase in 2012 end, when it had clocked about 10K odd on the odo. I purchased it for around 4L which was a great deal back then. Two years on I realized my 80% usage is on the highways which isnt exactly Liva's strength. Its definitely a awesome car in terms of reliability and practicality, but mile munching is boring and tad stress-full for the car.

Last week, I came across a Linea T-Jet 2013 with 12K kms on clock at a mouth watering price! I am getting around 3.7ish for my Liva from U-Trust and have not negotiated with them yet. I might get 5-10K more, i guess. And the Linea, lets say I will be paying about 1Lac more.

Now, the Dilemma, I don't really get stellar mileage from my Liva. But without a/c on the highways I manage around 16.xx kmpl. but with full load and a/c and with about 10-20% ghats I get only around 14.5X kmpl. In the cities I get around 10.xx-12.xx kmpl depending on traffic with or without a/c haven't seen a/c make much difference in the city.

I know T-Jet has lesser economy, but from the threads I am assuming I can squeeze out at least 14.xx kmpl with sedate driving(I have a light right foot). Forget car, I have never red-lined even my CBR or P220 :P

now the questions :

1. Are my Economy assumptions of the Linea accurate ?Can the car return 10km and 14Km in the city and highway respectively ?

2. The Liva has been Uber reliable, not even a fused bulb till now(touch wood). I know a few other Liva owners, in fact I have not heard about a breakdown in Liva circles. Toyota Breakdown stories remain an Urban legend for me atleast. Now the Fiat, well you guys know about its reliability/A.S.S issues. Is the T-Jet a troublesome car ? i cant live with niggles. I cant put up with anything out of place in my vehicles. With the Fiat, will i be spending more time in the garage than on the road ?

3. Does it make sense to trade in a Economy all purpose Hatch for a possibly trouble some fun to drive uber cool sedan at a fraction of the cost ?

4. Is 3.7L a good price for a Liva of my cars age ? I have taken excellent care of the car and its bone stock. Spanking clean right down to the nuts and bolts in the engine bay. Of course a few minor scratches exist. Tires have 30-40% Life and the battery/clutch/susp have not shown any sign of giving up soon. Both bumpers were replaced due to minor bumps. Insurance IDV is 4.1L, and yes I have made a claim to replace both the bumpers this year.

I am looking to close the deal this week, before the owner flies out of the country, please help me out guys.

Thank you..

Last edited by anand.shankar : 7th April 2015 at 19:50.
Old 8th April 2015, 13:24   #72
BHPian

What aspect of Liva is letting you down in your highway runs? If it's the ability to make quick overtakes and usable power, then you will hurt the Linea TJet's economy. If you're going to be sedate with the Linea -- why not continue to live with the Liva?
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:14   #73
Senior - BHPian

Stay Away from Fiat. Things we assume as hygiene can be a problem with manufacturers like Fiat. The service availability and quality will be absolutely pathetic. Spares will have waiting time (and trust me, FIAT WILL need spares)
Old 26th January 2016, 21:45   #74
BHPian

I am also in the same dilemma. I am looking for a car in a budget of around 5 lakhs INR.

10000 kms annually.
Hyderabad.
90% city driving with 1 or 2 adults. Rest on highways - fully loaded with 4 adults.

Been using a Indica DLS 2008 and done 78000 kms so far. Btw, it's up for sale now. Well maintained. Single owner and religiously serviced every 10k kms and 100% genuine spares used so far.

Require all 4 power windows. Since, driving out the 1 or 2 odd mosquitoes in the car has become a big problem without power windows. Other than that, i drive with windows up and ac on 99% of the times.

Please recommend me a car that fits my needs. Need to make the purchase asap.

I am fine with a 2015 car as well if it passes the TBhp PDI checklist. When would be a good time to ask for deeper discounts on a 2015 car - Feb start or end Feb or later or before Jan end? I will be paying in cash entirely. Any negotiation strategies that i can follow to get a good deal?

Should i go new or pre worshipped route? I intend to keep the car for atleast 5 years.

Last edited by bharatbits : 26th January 2016 at 21:51.
Old 27th January 2016, 00:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

If you have a budget of 5 lakhs, don't expect anything impressive in showrooms. New cars that are so cheap tend to carry compromise in nearly every area. At the same time, since 90% of your driving is within city limits, I would not recommend a large, although very tempting sedan, as your primary car. Go for a Honda Jazz MY2010 onwards the car is well built, comes with top quality interiors and none of those "modern" gimicky capacitive buttons, carries traditional Honda DNA that offers superior ergonomics (you will soon realize that every quirky design element in the car serves a functional purpose), loads of space and practicality, amazing all-round visibility makes parking the car and maneuvering through traffic extremely easy, Honda reliability will give you trouble free ownership for well over 5 years and although the tiny 1.2 liter VTEC may not be the most eager at low revs, the refinement and rev-happiness is a revelation that every petrol-head must experience IMO

PS: if you are hung up on buying a new car, you can extract massive discounts on the Ritz

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th January 2016 at 00:20.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed