Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 01:11   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
What would be the best 8 to 10 lakh car (on road price) that has good suspension vis a vis back pain? Consequently good handling is not a criteria. Engine should be powerful for good pickup and effortless driving.
Would recommend these (in order of increasing price):
Toyota Liva 1.5L TRD Sportivo, for the well tuned suspension and light clutch, slick gear shift and low end torque.
Dzire, for comfortable ride and great ergonomics. The petrol Dzire has an AT too.
Duster 85 PS, for the best ride and great drivability albeit with crazy ergonomics.
mkumar79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 14:31   #62
BHPian

Re: back pain - most comfortable car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
Would recommend these (in order of increasing price):
Toyota Liva 1.5L TRD Sportivo, for the well tuned suspension and light clutch, slick gear shift and low end torque.
Dzire, for comfortable ride and great ergonomics. The petrol Dzire has an AT too.
Duster 85 PS, for the best ride and great drivability albeit with crazy ergonomics.
Thanks for the suggestions. Liva is hardly an upgrade from Getz, my current car. Dzire: a design I can never desire. Which leaves the Duster. I want all safety features in a car for the safety of me and my family. Duster with all that features is way over my budget. So the search continues.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:49   #63
BHPian

Quote:
What would be the best 8 to 10 lakh car (on road price) that has good suspension vis a vis back pain? Consequently good handling is not a criteria. Engine should be powerful for good pickup and effortless driving.
Sub 7L OTR, you should try out a Vista. I have back-pain and found the high seating position and suspension in Vista to cater very well in this regard.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

Why not test drive the Ecosport?? That will suit your needs I think?

The review points to some of the points you would want...Pricing is ambiguous so far, but if you really like it, I think you can stretch the budget.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 27th May 2013 at 16:01.
Old 27th May 2013, 16:28   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if its the best car for your back but have you tried the Honda City? I find it pretty comfortable both for short and long drives. Should nicely fit into your budget too.

Also check out the Sunny. Has got lots of space and great to drive in the city in its diesel avatar. Will nicely fit into your budget too. Alternatively hire a chauffeur and pamper your back in the rear seat.

If you are open to used cars then I would suggest looking for an Altis. You can get a good example for 8-10L and I think comfort is one of the strong points of the car.
Old 27th May 2013, 19:07   #66
BHPian

Thank you all for the responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Sub 7L OTR, you should try out a Vista. I have back-pain and found the high seating position and suspension in Vista to cater very well in this regard.
Vista would hardly be an upgrade from my existing car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Why not test drive the Ecosport?? That will suit your needs I think?
I have been closely following this car but the review has come back with report of stiff suspension. So having second thoughts now. Will definitely test drive when it is launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Not sure if its the best car for your back but have you tried the Honda City? I find it pretty comfortable both for short and long drives. Should nicely fit into your budget too.
Honda City and Sunny does not appeal to me much but I am still open to Honda City.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:15   #67
BANNED

IMHO, TATA offers one stop solution for any back ache issues in most of their cars. Safari has been proving this repeatedly in its various avatar
Old 28th May 2013, 10:32   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your wife's back pain. I sympethize as I've been suffering from various back and should pains and issues in the past.

It was really bad some 10-15 years ago. In those days I drove at least 50.000 miles a year for my job. Our company doctor prescribed a special seat, automatic gear box and a SUV type of car.

In SUVs you typically sit up straighter then in most regular sedans. Which puts less strain on your neck and shoulders. Shifting manually was putting additional strain on neck and shoulders so hence I needed to get an auto.

The best thing was actually getting a special adapted seat. I don't know if these sort of seats are available in India.

Here's a (Dutch) brouchure of the company I got mine from.

http://www.scheel.nl/pdf/factsheet_assortiment.pdf

In my case I got a specially adapted seat to my own specific requirements/ailments. This company employs doctors/physiotherapist who are in charge on getting the best fit for you. Took about 3 hours to measure and tailor fit me. Then it takes a few weeks to manufacturer the seat to my special specifications.

It was a true revelation when I started using this chair. I kept it for many years. Even when my back was getting better and I was allowed to drive saloons and sedans I had it fitted to a whole host of Audi's and BMWs as well.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 20:50   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In SUVs you typically sit up straighter then in most regular sedans.
On reading the previous posts, where in even Dzire, Liva, Altis and even a Honda City was suggested, I was wondering whether that was right?

Edit: Sorry - I realised that these were the suggestions for the specific query by Guite!

The most important factor for prevention of back pain is to sit in a position where the weight is balanced by three support forces - one at back around shoulders, one at your thighs and the third at the feet. So, sitting as straight as possible, is the key to avoid back pain. Hence you need to have a vehicle with high seating. SUVs naturally fit the bill.

IMO the aspects of minimising the strain on the left leg by having auto transmission and over all suspension come later.

- Sai

@Jeroen- It will be so helpful for many of us if such customised seats are available in our country!

Last edited by Vihari : 20th August 2013 at 21:03.
Old 20th August 2013, 22:17   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Hope that your wife is undergoing adequate exercise/yoga sessions to ease/cure back-pain & her back-pain is of curable type.
This. Aren't folks with a sedentary lifestyle more prone to backaches like this?
Won't comfortable cars still give one a backache if the back is weak?
Old 21st August 2013, 12:56   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post

This. Aren't folks with a sedentary lifestyle more prone to backaches like this?
Won't comfortable cars still give one a backache if the back is weak?
Yes, they probably are. Our company doctor had a guideline. Anybody driving over 50.000 km per year should have a personalized seat.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 14:26   #72
BHPian

Quote:
A 90HP Punto might suit your bill. I had a Getz myself for more than 5 years. My wife always complained about the back seat ride of Getz. She found Punto very comfortable, though back seat space is not that great in Punto. Its worth giving a try.
Old 21st August 2013, 15:05   #73
BHPian

After having a colorful 20s and 30s with Subaru STIs, M3s, a few liter-bikes and all the associated crashes on the race track my back gave out finally after a big spill at the track on my CBR. The love of cars kept me going back and ended up instructing rather than racing. Gone are those glory days.

Moved back to India and after evaluating many options, I find the Innova the best to be driven in. However with my new job (which requires me to be at work before 6am), my back pain has started showing itself regardless of which car I drive, as no driver in his right mind shows up that early. Be it the Swift, the Fiesta, the Innova or the C-class, the pain is there.

After evaluating a number of options and considering I was going to be the only one driving at that early an hour and most of it will be within city limits, I've gone ahead and booked a VW Polo TSi (There are bigger cars for those longer trips). From my extensive test drive, the seats are good and more importantly, I don't have to use the clutch. I did the testdrive with my "back-buddy" cushion and it felt very comfortable, which provides me with the required additional lumbar support. Not the most "cushy" ride, but will do well for loitering around the city in the wee-hours.

For a reference point of view: L5-S1 fused and bolted together, metal shoulder plate, metal chin and other that have been broken but honestly lost count.
stumpz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 06:29   #74
Senior - BHPian

long time back somebody told me the rear seats of ambassador were the most comfortable to be driven in.

Wondering if its an urban legend. They work for our out of shape politicians!
Old 27th October 2013, 11:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
long time back somebody told me the rear seats of ambassador were the most comfortable to be driven in.

Wondering if its an urban legend. They work for our out of shape politicians!
Last month went to chennai for a day and had (mis) fortune of sitting in Ambessador taxi.
Amby seat being most comfortable is just a nostalgia inspiref BS and nothing else.

While coming back to Airport it was indica Vista taxi which was much more comfortable.
Also in Bangalore it was Varito/logan but generates nauseating feeling at speed above 80 on bumpy road to BIAL.
So among indian taxis my vote goes to Innova followed by vista.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks