Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2008, 00:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

greenhorn,

one more issue with logan is that the seats are quite thin. they are anything but plush. I mean i dont want souped up seats but its quite bare. atleast in all the taxis. The ikon 1.8D by comparison was such a fundoo taxicab
Old 14th July 2008, 10:55   #17
BHPian

wow! such enthusiastic replies in 2 days.Thanks a lot for your suggestions , be rest assured iam going through each one of them.
The car will be run mostly in the city but the daily route is via NH-1 Noida to Kashmere Gate via rajghat alias the ring road which is just like a highway on the above mentioned route and the timings are odd ( thereby the roads are practically empty). As suggested by many the debate has been shortlisted to the Swift d, palio 1.3mjd and the safari( dad still not convinced).
The sedans verna, Logan, Indigo are ruled out as having two sedans won't make sense.
so u guys keep it on with the suggestions as the confusion remains.
Old 14th July 2008, 11:04   #18
BHPian

if i go ahead with the swift maybe il get to mod it( cosmetically) alloys, a good ICE setup etc. On the other hand the safari ( owing to Vitamin M) would remain plain and stock.I prefer a plain safari to a modded swift what say?
Old 14th July 2008, 23:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

I guess you may not favor the long wait times for the Swift D. So, I guess...!
Old 16th July 2008, 06:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

a. how much can you wait?
b. As you have another sedan, you can keep palio for runabout in city.

Palio is a reasonably capable car unless you wanna do like sudev saab - 50k km in a year all possible terrain anywhere - where palio service might be a slight pain.
Old 16th July 2008, 08:32   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Swift diesel uses an engine called light weight Common rail diesel engine. These engines wear out very fast. Hence in the short term you might experience fuel efficiency but in the long term is not very economical.
What is the basis of this assertion? I would like facts on this.
Old 16th July 2008, 08:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Swift diesel uses an engine called light weight Common rail diesel engine. These engines wear out very fast. Hence in the short term you might experience fuel efficiency but in the long term is not very economical.
Quote:
Fiat Multi Jet is an excellent technology. It is a car to own for the long-term. Dont worry about after-sales service as it is now backed by Tata and they are not the kind of guys to change business ties and policies everyday. My experience with Tata Motors though had initial hiccups, is extremely satisfactory.
Not sure whether to laugh or cry . Swift diesel and Palio Multijet have *the exact same engine* - the Fiat 1.3MJD.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:11   #23
BHPian

If you can wait for a little longer i10 kappa should be out shortly.
Old 16th July 2008, 10:43   #24
BHPian

@ ph03n!X -swift d waiting period would be a hindrance.
@ phamilyman -palio is in consideration.
@ sudev& reignofchaos- maybe sridhga was meaning to convey about the rattles and noisyness of swift D as compared to the palio.
@ Mission Safari - enlighten me on i10 kappa, though i personally don't like the way i10 looks.
Old 16th July 2008, 15:59   #25
BHPian

Hi,

Check this post for the i10 Kappa TD report.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post905445
Old 16th July 2008, 19:09   #26
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Not sure whether to laugh or cry . Swift diesel and Palio Multijet have *the exact same engine* - the Fiat 1.3MJD.
ROC- you beat me to that post
and I've never heard of the term "lightweight common rail diesel engine" as a name before.

Best excuses to convince dad for a safari
1. safety
2. ability to handle rough roads
3. space
4. ride comfort

buy the swift if its going to be predominantly a 1 or 2 passenger car, dont buy it for space. buy it for driving pleasure.

indigo dicor CS is really VFM and is spacious and performs as good as the palio and the swift in real life conditions.

I would buy the swift

Old 17th July 2008, 05:41   #27
JRD
BHPian

i would say
palio multijet or the swift diesel would be the best replacement for the zen.
Old 19th July 2008, 18:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Hi,

Check this post for the i10 Kappa TD report.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post905445
i10 kappa launched recently is a petrol engine and not diesel , hence this should out of question considering your choice. Sorry for the confusion i initially thought they launched the diesel version.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:25   #29
BHPian

@ mission safari - i checked out the i10 kappa but since petrol cars are ruled out , no point considering it. Thanks for the link anyway.
Guys my father finally seems to be almost convinced about the safari. Though he is worried about the maintenance costs.He has been using a 3.0 litre safari dicor ( his fauji staff car) for the past one year, so he can't be hoodwinked about the maintenance part.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

@ turbo

Going by your previous vehicle ownership history, it seems probable that you'd keep the car for a fairly long period of time. So re-sale value would not be a very major consideration. As for the engines of Swift & Palio MJD, they are the same engines that power both vehicles (as reignofchaos also mentioned), so sridhga's # post 11 stands negated.

Build quality of the Palio is good & the car feels solid, is easier to get than the Swift Deisel. Just make sure you have a good service support in place.

I think the verdict would sway towards the Palio (IMHO) or the Swift.

The Safari would be a HUGE parking problem (especially as you mentioned Kashmere Gate) & the FE is also nothing compared to the Swift or Palio Deisels. But it seems you are inclined for the Safari.

Hope that puts things in prespective. Finally it's your call

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 23rd July 2008 at 14:31.

Most Viewed