Team-BHP - Confused on Diesel Car Purchase
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Confused on Diesel Car Purchase (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/42364-confused-diesel-car-purchase-3.html)

@ Ricky
yes you are absolutely correct- its going to be used for a long time.
I completely agree with you on the build quality of the palio.
As far as parking is concerned- its in the college campus- so no hassles.
regarding the fuel efficiency - its true with safari it would be max 13-14; with swift/palio it would be above 16 but then iam crazily inclined towards the safari:D.
your suggestions are appreciated.

Go for the Palio MJD you will never regret later on,build quality and road grip is awesome indeed.
If you ready for all the wait then Swift works out good
Indigo CS Dicor may be somewhat close to Palio however the TDI is left miles behind in terms of power.

@ Amarprusty
yeah waiting so long for the swift is next to impossible; palio MJD is as good as the swift(or even better). However, now things are looking up in terms of a safari.
I have gone through almost all the safari threads and my perception so formed is that 2.2 is mostly trouble-free ( exceptions are there), on the efficiency part- you can't expect an suv to be as efficient as a hatch. waiting for the beast owners to enlighten me furtherplease:

hey guys, the tables have turned for worse- my dad said a final big NO to the safari ( most dissapointing for me and my brother, since he was almost convinced):Frustrati. So now its either the palio MJD or the swift D.
Please fellows help me out with the following:
Which is more spacious?
Which is more VFM?
Which has a more comfortable ride and pot-holes gulping ability?
Same engines but the power output and the feel?
Most of all which is a better looker?

Please help me out here as the decision will have to be made within 3-4 days max.please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo1787 (Post 919176)
hey guys, the tables have turned for worse- my dad said a final big NO to the safari ( most dissapointing for me and my brother, since he was almost convinced):Frustrati. So now its either the palio MJD or the swift D.
Please fellows help me out with the following:
Which is more spacious? Palio
Which is more VFM? Both are on par, IMO.
Which has a more comfortable ride and pot-holes gulping ability? Palio
Same engines but the power output and the feel? Swift has better low end grunt, and is peppier, though the engine is the same.
Most of all which is a better looker? Subjective, but I like both. The interiors of the Palio are more dated than the Swift.

Please help me out here as the decision will have to be made within 3-4 days max.please:

I don't own either car, but I can still answer your questions based on posts in this forum. Responses are in bold italic above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo1787 (Post 919176)
Please help me out here as the decision will have to be made within 3-4 days max.

If you like to drive go for the Swift.
Old Palio was very comfortable, I haven't driven the new one.

I've heard its not as "fun" as the swift.
New Palio looks nice from the front, but back is "yuck"
swift is same, but I guess swift's back is better.

The i10 CRDi diesel engine is also going to be launched come October 2008 as per the company statements mad earlier this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 (Post 919353)
The i10 CRDi diesel engine is also going to be launched come October 2008 as per the company statements mad earlier this year.

I dont think i10 Crdi will be out this year. I think around beginning next year . i20 is going to be out this year.

@ Turbo - Go for the Swift DDIS. Palio is an excellent car ,let down by poor interiors and not upto the mark A.S.S. Where the Palio really wins is its build quality and space(compared to Swift). But i guess overall Swift has the upper hand.

IMHO Palio MJD wold be best for you @Turbo.
Though the interiors are a little dated, the car is tough and is very good for long term ownership. Its more spacious than the Swift and very sturdy.

@ vnabhi, yzfrj, anjan, karanraheja, nithinnarayanan thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.
The latest on this front is that- Dad has agreed for the safari but only to be purchased after a year or two. For the time being to fill in as a replacement for the zen it will be a santro xing CNG.:Shockked:

Yes people you read it right- a santro it will be.
So the story so far:
Safari>Swift/palio(D)>Santro CNG.
Well as disappointing as that sounds i will have to live with it.Though the santro can hardly be termed as an enthusiastic driver's car and certainly the CNG variant will not be enthusiastic to drive at all.Also the CNG cylinder eliminates any possibility of an amplifier and a sub( ICE goes for a six).The bright side is that i have been driving a CNG car for the past two years so im pretty much accustomed to its performance and technique( or the lack of it!).
Nevertheless, iam tired of arguing with my parents over this issue and want it to be over.
I shall keep you all posted.
Your sympathies are welcome, meanwhile i will lament my fortune:deadhorse

{MODS- Kindly change the thread title if required}

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo1787 (Post 924920)
Your sympathies are welcome, meanwhile i will lament my fortune:deadhorse

Don't lose heart. Being a student, spending on parents money, listening to them is right. As you are 21, you are soon going to be independent to take such decisions on your own money. Look up to the brighter future :)

Hi guys, i did not post for a long time reason being the decision was still pending . I checked out the santro xing Gls CNG but Rs 4,40,000 it was not value for money.
So finally we shall be booking a pearl white Swift Vdi from chandigarh tommorow.clap:
I will upload the details tommorow as soon as the booking is done.

@turbo1787 : What sort of delivery times?

And if possible go for VDI-ABS

@ sudev- booked the Vdi( non-ABS) with Berkeley Automobiles Chandigarh.The dealer has promised delivery within 2 months but you know better, Swift Ddis has a waiting period of about 4-8 months these days depending on the location.However, Dad has some contacts at Maruti hence most probably will get the car within 10-15 days:)
( as stated by those contacts).

To confuse you further , May be you can look at new Indica Vista with Fiat MJD engine so now you have choice of 3 cars with same engine , Swift , Palio and Indica Vista.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo1787 (Post 912846)
@ mission safari - i checked out the i10 kappa but since petrol cars are ruled out , no point considering it. Thanks for the link anyway.
Guys my father finally seems to be almost convinced about the safari. Though he is worried about the maintenance costs.He has been using a 3.0 litre safari dicor ( his fauji staff car) for the past one year, so he can't be hoodwinked about the maintenance part.

About Safari Maintenance costs you can look at the warrenty part Tata gives 2 years warrently and 2 more years for approx 5K ruppes which is worth every penny over useless accessories ppl pur for same money.
So for 4 years or 1.5 lakh Km your vehical is covered , Reliability and niggles in 2.2 VTT are much less then 3.0 L.

I am a safari owner but there is one more choice if you have budget for Safari , In same price bracket you can look at Scorpio mHawk as well , Mahindra finally realized folley of overpricing and now giving advertized discounts of about 91000 Rs coupled with bargaining it will be be around 1 Lakh and it makes pricing just right. mHawk also has 2.2 engine developed by AVL austria ( Engine block etc is same as Safari 2.2) but peripherals are from Bosch which is from Delhpi in Safari.
Scorpio mHawk provides more seating capacity at the cost of boot space.
Body roll and aerodynamics are poorer then Safari but Gear shift ratio is better for City drive.
Also Milage of mhawk is lower then Safari 2.2 so you can choose what you need.