Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

(1) About parking issues just spend 14K and get a redsoul or some other competent brand reverse parking sensors and camera fitted , Safari is a lot easier to park then any sedan with considerable boot length.

(2) About quality issues , GM india is not exectly known for excellent quality and A.S.S , Tata Motors atleast offer 2 years warrenty and for 5000 Rs another 2 years of extended warrenty and replace pretty much everything that goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Here is my 1 $ which is greater than >>>>= 2 cents

5) The turbo lag is quite evident in low speeds. While taking the car out of the basement parking, the car almost stalled as the turbo was not kicking in at low RPM.
Are you sure you are talking about Safari 2.2 VTT or an older Safari with TCIC or Dicor Engine ?

Quote:
8) If your wife drives, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT SAFARI!!!
If your wife can overcome psychological barrier there is not much difference , Actually a 2 Ton Tall Boy SUV is easier to drive then a
Car with a long nose and boot to bump in while taking u turn.

I am prepared to be flamed by owners and fanboys of Safari, but I am sure even at certain level they will agree with my observations. They are observations from a long drive of the car, I have refrained from commenting on quality issues and niggling issues with the car, but if you do your research you will find many threads about unreliability of Safari even in this forum. Its a beast to look at from the outside, but an absolute nightmare from the inside (as in owning it). Its a hearts car, famous in forummers, young boys, etc. but its not practical!!!
Quote:
I have also extensively driven Scorpio and though looks dated, it still holds its own in handling and drivability when compared to the Safari.
atleast on broken roads in Bangalore Scorpio mHawk feels like a boat in high seas but everyone has got a choice.
Anyday either safari or Scropio is better then Magnum Optra.

Last edited by amitk26 : 22nd August 2008 at 15:49.
Old 22nd August 2008, 15:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
Thank you all of you!Think its better buying new especially when i am spending close to 8 lakh plus.I would like to go for EX version but since budget is a constraint restricting to LX.Also it will give me surplus for alloys and ice too.
In Bangalore Safari Lx will Cost you around 9.05 Lacs (after all possible discounts etc) there was 2% increase in road tax last month.
For Alloys , ICE and Reverse parking system add another 24K + 15 ~ 25 K and 14K respectively , Throw in seat covers , Sunfilm etc and your total
budget comes approx 9.7 Lacs but good part is there is no absolute necessity for you to get all these goodies and you can add them one by one once you have some surplus money.

But remember in a new Safari at this cost you are getting a full warrenty for 4 years or 1.5 Lakh KM. where as most of the car companies do not provide any warranty for 2nd hand cars ( you need to check with GM).

Tata Service and parts are cheaper and Safari does not collect many dents ( LX Body cladding is an advantage here) unlike thin sheet metal cars resulting in couple of thousand ruppes every time you scrap somewhere in traffic.

Quote:
Wow thats encouraging!My would be likes Optra magnum better cos she feels safari is too big for her.But after seeing the safari in flesh she said that "It looks cool in black" and stuff He he!Though i don't know how she will react once she sees the interiors.For me i like the interiors but not the quality though.I see scope for some DIY using carbon fibre masking sheets and art leather
Ask Your wife to take a test drive after a couple of KM safari feels quite easy to drive becase from high position you can see the full bonnet and it is extreamly manuverable the turn radius is 6 meters which might be an issue but Chevy Optra does not have a small turn radius either I do not know exact figure.
Also during test drive you may notice that seeing a safari in rear view mirror people move aside easily with out need to honk and driving is much more easier,
Old 23rd October 2008, 23:36   #18
BANNED

Why dont you take the magnum to automart ,TVS or whatever agency is there for a valuation ?

Since the magnum is done 16,000 in about 8 months , I guess it is been used well and if the car has been maintained well ,there should be a proper service record in place.

I am sure an used car valuer would value the car at 7 -7.5 lakhs for a magnum as the resale value of the car is low . This would give you a good leverage with the seller to bargain on the price .

Plus the magnum will be more fuel efficient than a safari .

Anyday I would prefer a new car though
Old 24th October 2008, 10:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post

Plus the magnum will be more fuel efficient than a safari .

Anyday I would prefer a new car though
The thread is couple of months old and I am sure thread starter might have taken a decision ,
but on topic of fuel efficieny does magnum give more then 11 Km / liter in city ( Bangalore city traffic) and 14 km/ liter on Highways ( driven between 80 to 130 Km/hr mostly) to be caleld more fuel efficient ?
Old 24th October 2008, 11:14   #20
BHPian

@amit - No doubt it does. I drive in the city and my avg come around between 13-14 consistently. Highway trips are rare on my part but the last i remember was 16-17 on a 200km run.

Hope that helps.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Considerring the road condition for the next 2 years which is not going to improve
Looking at our politicians, you can safely make that 20 Ravi!
Old 19th April 2013, 15:50   #22
BHPian

Pre-worshiped Optra Magnum vs Tata Safari

My fellow Bhpians,
I have been in a turmoil. I have a 2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Zxi which has run close to 55k kms and now I am selling it and want to go for a new "pre-worshiped" cars. My conditions are following:

1. It should be a segment bigger than Fiesta.
2. It has to be a diesel.
3. It should have good ride and decent handling.
4. It should cost less than 6L. (8L only if a 2006-07 X Trail)

I have come across many Tata Safari and Optra Magnums. These two seem to be the finalists (will buy Xtrail with eyes closed if can get at 8L). But I am unable to make a decision.

Head Says - Buy Optra, lesser maintenance, higher efficiency, more reliable, very very fast, good features and great all rounder.
Whats stopping me - Doesnt have the sense of occasion of the Safari - "that special feeling". You guys know what I am talking about.

Heart Says - Buy Safari, always dreamed of owning one. Can practically drive it to anywhere in India.
Whats stopping me - Higher costs of upkeep, reliability question. (Could be decently reliable to not usable at all)

For us enthusiasts, the picture is so clear when we suggest to others, but when the decision is our own, we get second thoughts.
Please help, as my mind is clouded and I am not able to decide. (2 months)
Old 19th April 2013, 16:07   #23
BANNED

Re: Pre-worshiped Optra Magnum vs Tata Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
I have come across many Tata Safari and Optra Magnums.
I would not recommend a 2006-07 Safari for the multitude of gremlins that is has had. Also, after owning a Fiesta, you will find its tacky interiors falling apart and disappointing unless it is an extremely well maintained example.

If you want an SUV, I d recommend you look at a 2007-08 Scorpio run around 40k kms for around 7 lac INR else settle for the Magnum.

The Magnum, in its diesel avatar was a torque monster and has very good fit and finish, handling, safety features and fuel economy.
Old 19th April 2013, 17:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Go fo the extinct beast Optra Magnum, however this car is discontinued now by Chevrolet in India.
Old 19th April 2013, 18:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Head Says - Buy Optra, lesser maintenance, higher efficiency, more reliable, very very fast, good features and great all rounder.
Optras are white elephants to maintain and especially old magnums which are prone to turbo failures. Do you want to risk it given that you clearly keep cars for quite a few years ? IMO Optra cannot be associated with the following qualities that you mentioned "lesser maintenance, more reliable " , its not without reason that this car has become extinct after spending an extended period in the sales ICU . As suggested by N.Devdath , Scorpio seems to be the most likely option if you want an SUV .

If you can spend 8 lakhs on a pre-owned X-trail , which logic says that would not be less than 10 years old at the very least or would be extremely beaten down (keeping aside the fact that you may get very very lucky) why not look at a new Sunny / Scala ? If by segment higher you mean more space , that they have. They tick rest of the boxes too , noting that you mentioned good ride and decent handling rather than great handling.

All the best
Old 19th April 2013, 23:36   #26
BHPian

@mods,
Thanks for merging the thread.

Well, Scorpios are costly to begin with, would get only a 07/08 model, moreover don't like the ride quality and interiors are not that comfortable.
Quote:
Optras are white elephants to maintain and especially old magnums which are prone to turbo failures. Do you want to risk it given that you clearly keep cars for quite a few years ? IMO Optra cannot be associated with the following qualities that you mentioned "lesser maintenance, more reliable " , its not without reason that this car has become extinct after spending an extended period in the sales ICU .
Decided on optra by going through the ownership thread here and all seem fine.

Quote:
If you can spend 8 lakhs on a pre-owned X-trail , which logic says that would not be less than 10 years old at the very least or would be extremely beaten down (keeping aside the fact that you may get very very lucky) why not look at a new Sunny / Scala ? If by segment higher you mean more space , that they have. They tick rest of the boxes too , noting that you mentioned good ride and decent handling rather than great handling.
Well, Xtrail is the only exception to my budget, since I had the pleasure of driving one for 10 days and those were some of the best day of my life .
06/07 Xtrails are available for <10 Lakhs usually run between 60k to 100k.

My definition of car from a higher segment would mean, better specifications basically. Better engine, suspension, brakes etc. Hence, Scala or Sunny wont do. Moreover, I found in these two, a lot of road noise above 120 kmph. If I buy a sedan again, I'd like it to be quieter,more comfortable, faster and safer as right now apart from running cost of petrol, I do not find anything wrong with my fiesta.

My question is how about the spare part availability/servicing of the Optra for the next 3 years at least?

And another idea i just now got was to buy another vehicle for <=3.5L. (Thereby not sacrificing my Fiesta)
I have seen a 2007 Safari 3.0 Dicor LX and it is fine. Need to have a detailed checkup with a mechanic. If all OK, then is this a good option? (Retain the petrol sedan for spirited driving and get a big SUV for Long Drives. Win-win?

Oh by the way, That 3.0 LX would get a Racedynamics DieselTRONIC box to make some power.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies. Use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th April 2013 at 09:11.
Old 20th April 2013, 06:52   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
My fellow Bhpians,
I have been in a turmoil. I have a 2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Zxi which has run close to 55k kms and now I am selling it and want to go for a new "pre-worshiped" cars. My conditions are following:

1. .
2. It has to be a diesel.
3. It should have good ride and decent handling.
4. It should cost less than 6L. (8L only if a 2006-07 X Trail)

I ustrati
I understand your desire for an old X Trail but you probably will not get one in this price range at least in the Bangalore market. Used X Trails of 6 to 7 years vintage are still selling at 10-11 lacs on account of the low supply. I know because, I was on the same hunt 2 years ago and could not get anything under 12 lacs. Even recently a pal of mine bought a 2006 X Trail with some 1 lac kms on the clock for 12 lacs.
The only other car you might be able to consider is a Tucson. It is discontinued yes. But it is a solid car backed by Hyundai's service. They still ensure that these cars are looked after. You will get a pretty decent 2006-2007 Tucson for about 7 lacs. It might have done 70-80-90k kms but those cars are very strong and can go on happily for 2 lac kms.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 20:43   #28
BHPian

Re: Buying used Optra Magnum LS or New Safari LX

My Dear BHPians, kindly help me choose among the following, will buy by end of this week.

I am unable to decide, I wish I could own them all. Please suggest

1. 2009 White FIAT Linea 1.3 Emotion Pack - 46k kms run. Loved the looks, quality, mileage and very luxurious interiors, it has "that special feeling". Low resale value and just about adequate space at the rear is holding me back. Quoted Price = 5.6 L, before negotiation.

2. 2008 Cycus Grey Tata Safari 2.2 EX that has run only 36k kms, wonderful condition, very neat. I am not sure of the high speed ride in Safari, at 120+, since i never owned one. That and a bit of probable niggles, along with anticipation of increase in diesel price and hence running cost is holding me back.
Quoted Price = 6.25 L, before negotiation.

3. 2009 Chevrolet Optra Magnum TCDi LT - 42k kms run. Yet to meet the owner. Don't know what to expect, although the performance and comfort seems to be great, yet to check it out. Seems like apart from the dated design, there aren't any cons.
Quoted Price = 6.5 L, before negotiation.
Old 24th April 2013, 20:24   #29
BHPian

My Dear Friends,
As it turns out, both the Linea and Safari had their Odometers tampered with. In fact, both had run in excess of 85k kms. Had it checked at Tata-FIAT service centre.

The Linea was a Cartrade.com certified vehicle. Heartbroken as both of these cars were just lovely. I cannot go for such a vehicle even if they bring down the price.

Today, had a little chat with a car dealer who happens to be a family friend. He told me that almost all the Diesel vehicles sold especially at these car dealers will most probably have fudged Odometers. There are various places in the city where people do it apparently and the cost could vary from Rs.800 to 10k depending on the vehicle. Also, Odometer tampering trend is on the rise ever since the fuel prices have been going up drastically (after 2009). I have almost lost faith in pre-owned cars and have little hope of buying a genuine used car.

I suggest all BHPians to carefully verify everything before they buy a pre-worshiped vehicle and do not completely trust these certified used cars/dealers.

P.S - My current car is a used Fiesta which I had bought only after checking the odometer.

Last edited by Aniket6 : 24th April 2013 at 20:33. Reason: Had to add another point in the post
Old 25th April 2013, 11:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

A year+ back i was in pretty much in a similar sitaution, just that i had to choose between Bolero vs Safari vs (used) Cedia, to be frank i was very keen on the Cedia considering that i would get it at a very reasonable price but the catch was finding a good car, and i had my serious on buying from a dealer.

So finally had to drop the idea as i dint find any good car and went for Safari LX, so far am extremely happy with the decision

Quote:
I am facing a dilemma.I have been in the market for quite sometime looking for a car to replace my good old lancer.Finally i shortlisted 3cars

1)CEDIA: The price of petrol is what stops me from going for this car.
2)SAFARI:I absolutely love the SAFARI for it's looks and road presence as i like long drives and i am comfortable with it even in city.
3)Optra magnum:Amazing engine and good ride quality but dont have enough budget to buy a new one

I am being offered a 10 month old optra magnum LS for 8.5 Lakhs in bangalore.Is the price ok or should i bargain more?I test drove the car and all i could find wrong are some scratches on rear bumper.It is driven 16000 kms.There are OEM alloys on the car.Guys i am totally confused cos i can buy a new safari lx for a little more .So please suggest me what to do.

Last edited by lohithrao : 25th April 2013 at 11:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks