Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 12:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying used Optra Magnum LS or New Safari LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
My Dear Friends,
As it turns out, both the Linea and Safari had their Odometers tampered with.
From what I know ALL used car dealers temper odometer , used car dealers pay a lot of attention to cosmatic condition and get the cars dented painted before putting up for sale.

So it is best to pay little more and buy directly from a seller and get the denting , painting / polishing done yourself.

Secondly I do not think KM run is that important you can get evaluation done at T.A.S.S and if engine compression is good and there is no major repair required you can go for a 80K KM driven safari easily.
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:11   #32
BHPian

Used Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI or new hatch?

I'm not sure if this post is a good idea. I'm already very confused:

I was about to buy a new i10 when I found out that a close relative in Mumbai is disposing of his Optra. (2011, LS TCDI, run some 58k kms)

So which one do I get? My relative thinks I'm bonkers to go for a used car. His reasoning:
1 New car's going to be hassle free for a few years.
2 Optra's maintenance costs will be much higher + spare parts already a problem -- takes weeks to procure genuine spares.
3 The resale value further down is going to be painfully low. Even now, it's finding hardly any takers
4 It was driven by a chauffeur.
5 Transferring registration from Mumbai to Delhi will be a pain (it's on company lease)

But I think it's a good idea:
1 It's got a beast of an engine
2 The car's less than 4 years old.
3 It was under the comprehensive maintenance plan, so key parts (including tyres!) were replaced in the last free service in June
4 Buying from relative means assurance that I'm not getting a lemon.

My usage is 50km a day on a mix of expressway (speeds as high as 120kmph) and chocked city roads. What should I do? I10 costs around 4.3. Optra will cost around 3. Heart says Optra. But mind, and everyone else, says new i10

Last edited by naru : 3rd January 2015 at 22:38.
naru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 20:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI or new hatch?

If you are confident of the Optra's condition, go for IT! The Optra will bring a smile to your face every time you drive the same as compared to a i10.

Plus the price is really good! Even after using it for an year or so, you will not loose much value.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 20:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

Please search the forum before you make up your mind. I recall a couple of cases where the Optra engine / parts started failing around the 80,000 km mark. It's a lovely car to drive otherwise
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 20:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure about this, but when I was on the look for a used car I was told that Optra diesel requires lot of maintenance after 80K km, I am not sure why. If the car is in good condition you can take a chance, do ask your relative why he/she is selling it in the first place, and have a look at the service history and see the cost of each service to make sure everything is ok. If the car turns out to be not as good as expected you have a bad car in hand and things wont be the same between you and your relative again, so do double check everything
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 21:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

If the price is right, the Optra is a good idea. But I see you are in Delhi, and the car is in Mumbai?
Old 4th January 2015, 23:16   #37
BHPian

Go for the Optra.
It is a much higher end car than a small hatch and would give you more style, presence and safety (assuming it has ABS and airbags). You are already saving nearly 1.5 lakhs which should be enough to cover any issues that crop up.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 23:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
If the car turns out to be not as good as expected you have a bad car in hand and things wont be the same between you and your relative again, so do double check everything
I think my relative is also worried about this. That's why he's not too keen to sell it to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If the price is right, the Optra is a good idea. But I see you are in Delhi, and the car is in Mumbai?
Yes. This is a big issue. I'm told Delhi RTO refuses to register out of state cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Go for the Optra.
It is a much higher end car than a small hatch and would give you more style, presence and safety (assuming it has ABS and airbags). You are already saving nearly 1.5 lakhs which should be enough to cover any issues that crop up.
It's LS model. No ABS or airbags. But yes, it's a saving of more than a lakh over an i10
Old 4th January 2015, 23:31   #39
BHPian

Go for a i10 1.1 iRDE2. Although Optra is more powerful and is a segment above i10, maintenance in the long run can be painful. Plus resale value will take a hit. With a new car, you can get hassle free service for the first 4 years.
Old 4th January 2015, 23:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Optra if you think you are upto it. Also, while considering a car like the Magnum, do also give the Hyundai Elantra a thought; in my opinion a slightly better car than the Optra
Old 5th January 2015, 00:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Why buy a white Elephant? Optra Magnum's are not the most reliable cars. They are known to brake down and if they do the repairs will cost you a bomb!
Have you factored Repairs/maintenance of the following -

Battery Condition,
Clutch Condition,
AC
Brakes
Tyres,
Suspension

Also I think at around the 60,000 or 80,000 KM service, major parts like the timing chain and other components need to be looked at.

Its not worth it! Buy a new i10/Swift.
With a new car you are assured of 2-3 years of maintenance free drives!
Warranty will cover most of the important parts.
Also the i10.swift parts are easy to source and repairs, maintenance will be easier and cost less.
Old 5th January 2015, 00:16   #42
BHPian

Since you mentioned that it is the LS and not the LT, IMO don't go for it. Instead why don't you look for other used cars? Civic and corolla came to my mind. In fact there are a ton of good used cars for around 4 lacs.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 00:27   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post

My usage is 50km a day on a mix of expressway (speeds as high as 120kmph) and chocked city roads. What should I do?
What should you do? - Get a new Hatchback. That's it!

Some your commute does have highway stint with triple digit speeds safety is utmost concern IMO rather than cost of the car.

Do look at Swift / Ritz Z variant or i10 Grand.

Being a new car will give you peace of mind and the satisfaction too.
Old 5th January 2015, 01:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
Go for a i10 1.1 iRDE2. Although Optra is more powerful and is a segment above i10, maintenance in the long run can be painful. Plus resale value will take a hit. With a new car, you can get hassle free service for the first 4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Why buy a white Elephant? Optra Magnum's are not the most reliable cars. They are known to brake down and if they do the repairs will cost you a bomb!
Have you factored Repairs/maintenance of the following -

Battery Condition,
Clutch Condition,
AC
Brakes
Tyres,
Suspension

Also I think at around the 60,000 or 80,000 KM service, major parts like the timing chain and other components need to be looked at.

Its not worth it! Buy a new i10/Swift.
With a new car you are assured of 2-3 years of maintenance free drives!
Warranty will cover most of the important parts.
Also the i10.swift parts are easy to source and repairs, maintenance will be easier and cost less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What should you do? - Get a new Hatchback. That's it!

Some your commute does have highway stint with triple digit speeds safety is utmost concern IMO rather than cost of the car.

Do look at Swift / Ritz Z variant or i10 Grand.

Being a new car will give you peace of mind and the satisfaction too.
:( :( :(

I already own an i10. The prospect of buying another doesn't excite me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Go for the Optra if you think you are upto it. Also, while considering a car like the Magnum, do also give the Hyundai Elantra a thought; in my opinion a slightly better car than the Optra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Since you mentioned that it is the LS and not the LT, IMO don't go for it. Instead why don't you look for other used cars? Civic and corolla came to my mind. In fact there are a ton of good used cars for around 4 lacs.
Not considering any other used car. The Optra's in the picture only because a relative is selling it. Otherwise not keen on a second hand car from unknown sources.
Old 5th January 2015, 06:49   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
I already own an i10. The prospect of buying another doesn't excite me at all.
Then look at other hatchbacks. Do give your main requirements so that we can suggest you a car:

-- Only a hatchback or sedan would do?

-- Space?

Since the Optra doesn't seem sensible buy looking at the manufacturers condition plus maintenence costs that you'd incur, best is to forgo it.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th January 2015 at 07:02.

Most Viewed