Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 08:08   #46
BHPian

Re: Used Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI or new hatch?

Since you already own an i10, this time you can go ahead and buy a more FTD hatchback. If your budget restricts you from doing so, you can look into the used car market for reliable badges in the likes of Maruti, Hyundai and Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
:( :( :(

I already own an i10. The prospect of buying another doesn't excite me at all.
Old 5th January 2015, 09:33   #47
BHPian

The Optra is a total NO NO option!!! Frankly, it's not worth the trouble. Or your time. If you ask me, it's so bad a choice, you shouldn't be even thinking about it. Period. Unless you really enjoy spending most of your time repairing and maintaining your cars more than enjoying the drive for a change, once in a while. There are folks like that you know, who take it as a challenge and amusement just being worried and wondering where they will source that next spare-part from and making umpteen calls to dozens of friends all over the world like a Nat Geo subject or something. But that's the stuff of vintage. I guess most people don't have the nerve and time for that nowadays.

There are a lot of other choices which are much lesser trouble and much more reliable. More peace of mind. If it's old you wanna have, there's City i-vtec, Civic, Swift Desire, etc, which are available around your budget and will give much more reliability. And if it's new you want to go and don't want another i10, why not check out the i10 Grand? Much better car.

Just my two cents.
Old 5th January 2015, 10:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

Get a new hatch and save yourself the blues.

A friend has purchased an Optra three years back.
It is a high maintenance car and he has been candid to admit it that prohibitively expensive spares has forced him to look at FNGs.

Buy a Grand i10/Swift and buy yourself peace of mind. Period!!
Old 5th January 2015, 14:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Then look at other hatchbacks. Do give your main requirements so that we can suggest you a car:

-- Only a hatchback or sedan would do?

-- Space?

Since the Optra doesn't seem sensible buy looking at the manufacturers condition plus maintenence costs that you'd incur, best is to forgo it.
My only criterion is budget. Low initial cost and low running cost (esp fuel since daily run is quite high). That's why I thought the optra ticked all the boxes, it being a diesel. With an amazing engine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
Since you already own an i10, this time you can go ahead and buy a more FTD hatchback. If your budget restricts you from doing so, you can look into the used car market for reliable badges in the likes of Maruti, Hyundai and Honda.
I drive 50km daily. So bigger petrol cars with higher fuel consumption are out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
The Optra is a total NO NO option!!! Frankly, it's not worth the trouble. Or your time. If you ask me, it's so bad a choice, you shouldn't be even thinking about it. Period. Unless you really enjoy spending most of your time repairing and maintaining your cars more than enjoying the drive for a change, once in a while. There are folks like that you know, who take it as a challenge and amusement just being worried and wondering where they will source that next spare-part from and making umpteen calls to dozens of friends all over the world like a Nat Geo subject or something. But that's the stuff of vintage. I guess most people don't have the nerve and time for that nowadays.

There are a lot of other choices which are much lesser trouble and much more reliable. More peace of mind. If it's old you wanna have, there's City i-vtec, Civic, Swift Desire, etc, which are available around your budget and will give much more reliability. And if it's new you want to go and don't want another i10, why not check out the i10 Grand? Much better car.

Just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Get a new hatch and save yourself the blues.

A friend has purchased an Optra three years back.
It is a high maintenance car and he has been candid to admit it that prohibitively expensive spares has forced him to look at FNGs.

Buy a Grand i10/Swift and buy yourself peace of mind. Period!!
Thanks. I PMed a couple of optra owners. They pretty much said the same thing.

Its a pity. I really really loved the optra when I drove it.
Old 5th January 2015, 14:36   #50
BANNED

Quote:

My only criterion is budget. Low initial cost and low running cost (esp fuel since daily run is quite high). That's why I thought the optra ticked all the boxes, it being a diesel. With an amazing engine too!
What's the maximum you can stretch to?
Old 5th January 2015, 14:59   #51
BHPian

Let us be very very realistic here. Going by the famous saying-"A bad man is better than a bad name" is the case with GM. Irrespective of how good a car they manufacture or make, they still end up as loosers. Few things from my side.

1. Despite their compromise on quality, Japanese & Koreans rule our head and heart. Who says that Marutis and Hyundais and Tatas are cheap to maintain. Even during the free service period, the bills for a Maruti amounts to around 6-7k. Paid service goes upto 10k for even a basic car like Wagon-R LXI. At least GM gives you 3 year of hassle free service covering almost all the aspects of a car. After 3 years the car can be serviced at some basic costs. At least my chevy and all others i know report that the car keeps on running like new all its life.

2. The basic quality of interiors that GM provided in its cars 10 years back(right from Opel days) is being sold now in the market at a very high premium in the top end models(Bounce back function of power windows). Optra has the best quality seats and interiors which is not available in even Honda city or Verna as on date. Hence you end up paying almost 1.5 lakhs less and enjoying a powerful diesel sedan with excellent space. Even the very basic Spark is way better than Wagon-R/EON/Santro etc in terms of structural rigidity, fit and finish, space, seating position etc at a much lower price.

3. You can take your car to the nearest Chevy service centre, and ask them to replace everything that the service advisor thinks can be changed or has the possibility of going bust within another 4-5 years without any worry of relations turning sour. I believe that the total bill value will never exceed 1 lakh even.

In case you are based out of South Delhi and need some contact detail of Direct service RM, please PM me.
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 16:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
1. Despite their compromise on quality, Japanese & Koreans rule our head and heart...............
Well most of GMI cars are Koreans(Optra/Captiva/Spark/Beat/Cruze/U-Va) and more recently Chinese(Sail & Enjoy) leaving the Iconic Japanese Isuzu Panther (Tavera). We have seen very well built Japs (Honda/Toyota) and Koreans (Hyundai) and the Asians with their proclaimed ingenuity always trumps the Europeans in terms of sheer VFM, frugality and reliability. I cannot recall any American cars being sold currently here assuming the Ford Endeavor has the underpinning of a Mazda?(again a Jap). What I want to say here is that it is Maruti who compromises on quality and never Suzuki. Similarly Daewoo makes good cars but GMI has a bad reputation of ditching support of old models right from the Opel days.

For the OPs requirement, I would still suggest a used Sedan, preferably a Japanese. The Optra is a very competent car for your kind of requirement and will bring a smile every time you take it to the highway but GM support is very dicey for discontinued products and there is every possibility that the car might see frustrating long workshop stays for minor part replacements or for that matter even exorbitant charges for spares. I am not a fan of how the Hyundais behave on highways, they are at their best within city confines. Ditto with the MS hatchbacks. How about a pre worshiped Linea? Or a Polo or even a measely Figo TDCi if you are looking at hatchbacks for highway commute.

P.S. : I have recently been red-flagged by my friendly GM A.S.S. on a deal for a 2010 Cruze LTZ MT citing huge upkeep cost. But they also said they were not so apprehensive about the AT.
Old 5th January 2015, 20:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
What's the maximum you can stretch to?
Budget was just 3.5 initially. But stretched it to 4.5 for the i10.

The Chevy is for 3. So I thought I will have some money left over in case of repairs/problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
After 3 years the car can be serviced at some basic costs.

In case you are based out of South Delhi and need some contact detail of Direct service RM, please PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
The Optra is a very competent car for your kind of requirement and will bring a smile every time you take it to the highway but GM support is very dicey for discontinued products and there is every possibility that the car might see frustrating long workshop stays for minor part replacements or for that matter even exorbitant charges for spares.

P.S. : I have recently been red-flagged by my friendly GM A.S.S. on a deal for a 2010 Cruze LTZ MT citing huge upkeep cost. But they also said they were not so apprehensive about the AT.
Can you give me an idea of maintenance costs for a 4 year old Optra?

The car in question has had all major parts, including clutch plate and tyres, replaced in June as part of three-year free service.

Last edited by naru : 5th January 2015 at 20:06.
Old 22nd March 2015, 21:58   #54
BHPian

Re: Buying used Optra Magnum LS or New Safari LX

Guys, reviving an old thread with an update...

I've decided to ditch the used Optra and increase the budget to buy a new hatch. Please advise what's the best I can do with Rs 6 lakh.

Requirements: Would like ABS + Airbags + diesel since running is 50km/day at triple digit speeds.

I think the only cars that fit the budget are Beat LT, Figo Titanium or Ritz VDI (with abs). Considering that all three are due for a refresh and will be outdated within months of purchase, which one will be the best one to buy?

Please advise. I'll book the car by the end of the month

Last edited by naru : 22nd March 2015 at 22:05.
Old 22nd March 2015, 22:29   #55
BANNED

Quote:
I've decided to ditch the used Optra and increase the budget to buy a new hatch. Please advise what's the best I can do with Rs 6 lakh.

Requirements: Would like ABS + Airbags + diesel since running is 50km/day at triple digit speeds.

I think the only cars that fit the budget are Beat LT, Figo Titanium or Ritz VDI (with abs).
Good decision. Is there VDi + ABS combo available in the Ritz? I am thinking it's there only in ZDi variant.

I'll say Ritz ZDi if possible as you'll be doing triple digit speeds. You get all bells and whistles plus safety equipment.

I have used that car for 3 years almost with 1.08L kms on odometer without any problem whatsoever during ownership.

I happily recommend this car to all.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 12:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Good decision. Is there VDi + ABS combo available in the Ritz? I am thinking it's there only in ZDi variant.

I'll say Ritz ZDi if possible as you'll be doing triple digit speeds. You get all bells and whistles plus safety equipment.

I have used that car for 3 years almost with 1.08L kms on odometer without any problem whatsoever during ownership.

I happily recommend this car to all.
How is Ritz's stability at high speeds? Is there body roll?

I was leaning towards the Figo since I have driven it from Delhi to Chandigarh and was quite happy with its handling.

Also, does it make sense to go for a petrol car with 1500 km of monthly run? That will open up more options within my budget...

Please advise
Old 24th March 2015, 13:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I own a Punto-90Hp and Ritz-P-VXI. I would rate Ritz as a city car and I really feel scared in triple digits. A 100 Kmph in Ritz would seem to me like 160 Kmph in Punto .

I would rate the max comfortable speed in Ritz would be 80 Kmph. As for the body roll, it is a tall boy and at speeds you will have a considerable body roll.
Old 24th March 2015, 15:29   #58
BANNED

Quote:

Also, does it make sense to go for a petrol car with 1500 km of monthly run? That will open up more options within my budget...
Ritz is petty stable but not a corner carver thanks to the tall-boy design. Speaking of body-roll, yes, it is existent but not hair-raising (well under control).

Cruising at triple digit speeds isn't a bother IMO. I drive at triple digit speeds most of the tone during my travel from home to work and back. Never felt any stability issues!

Diesel car is a safer bet.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 20:25   #59
BHPian

Quote:

I was leaning towards the Figo since I have driven it from Delhi to Chandigarh and was quite happy with its handling.

Please advise
I have driven the Ritz, Punto & Figo, and will share my impressions on each.

Maruti Suzuki Ritz - I have not driven this car extensively, and especially not at higher speeds, but found the car pleasant to drive in the city. Based on the handling and height of the car though, I wouldn't be too confident at highway speeds. The reliability and MASS aspects of the car are good though.

Ford Figo - I have driven this car rather extensively, including on the highways, and find the handling to be quite mature. My grouse with this car is the dated looks, and not so inspiring engine output. I have also been told that the maintenance costs (Especially spare parts) are on the higher side.

Fiat Punto - This is the second car that I have driven which I actually felt a proper connection with in terms of handling (First being the Ford Ikon). The handling of the Punto at higher speeds is just brilliant! I can vouch that there is no other hatchback this side of 10 lakhs that handles like it. My grouses with the car are the gearbox being a little rubbery, which takes time to get used to, and the engine lag being on the higher side below 2000 RPM. I have not faced any issues with the FASS.

I focused on the aspect which you were concerned about, and I hope you find these opinions useful in your quest for a new car. I would suggest you test drive all of them before making any decisions though, because each person has different preferences. Good luck, and let us know what you decide
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 20:48   #60
BHPian

Since I'm going to keep the car for at least 8-10 years I've decided not to go for models which are about to be phased out (Ritz, figo) or have a reputation of being troublesome to maintain (punto) .

So after looking at the above mentioned options, I'm gravitating towards the tried and tested swift. The vdi variant at 7 lakh on road now comes with abs as standard.
But I'm a bit worried about the ncaap results on structural safety. Anyone know if the "face-lift" has addressed this issue in any way?

Last edited by naru : 27th March 2015 at 20:56.

Most Viewed