Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 13:24   #1
BHPian

Buying used Optra Magnum LS or New Safari LX

I am facing a dilemma.I have been in the market for quite sometime looking for a car to replace my good old lancer.Finally i shortlisted 3cars

1)CEDIA: The price of petrol is what stops me from going for this car.
2)SAFARI:I absolutely love the SAFARI for it's looks and road presence as i like long drives and i am comfortable with it even in city.
3)Optra magnum:Amazing engine and good ride quality but dont have enough budget to buy a new one

I am being offered a 10 month old optra magnum LS for 8.5 Lakhs in bangalore.Is the price ok or should i bargain more?I test drove the car and all i could find wrong are some scratches on rear bumper.It is driven 16000 kms.There are OEM alloys on the car.Guys i am totally confused cos i can buy a new safari lx for a little more .So please suggest me what to do.
Old 14th July 2008, 14:35   #2
BHPian

my 2 cents;
go for the safari, its a different vehicle altogether.The 2.2 engine is efficient and provides sufficient power to the beast.There is ample space inside and the seats, ride are the best you can have for below 20 lakhs.
The image factor is high with the safari and moreover a new car is a new car.
Old 14th July 2008, 15:26   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Suggestion based on your already shortlisted choices:

Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor Lx any day compared with Optra Magnum.
A New Diesel is a new Diesel and a New Car is a new car - nothing beats you being the first to drive and enjoy the car and the "little more" is worth it, IMO.
Plus since you said you like its looks and presence, you are comfortable using a Safari in city and that you do like long drives, then just go with your heart and buy one.
Im sure you will enjoy it a great deal.
Add a set of alloys to it after you buy it and you will feel like the king of the road!
cheers
Old 14th July 2008, 16:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Safari Ex or Vx which is worth vehicle. If you drive that vehicle within 70-80kmph speed range iot would give you best comfort beyond your expectation.

Cedia is also good choice but Optra might belongs to initial batches of launch hence its risky to buy that.

Considerring the road condition for the next 2 years which is not going to improve I suggest Safari.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

To add to your already confused mind here are my 2 cents. I think Cedia is in a class of its own when compared to magnum and ofcourse Safari. If you made your mind to buy a diesel variant go for Safari else Cedia should be a good buy considering its handling and the engine.
Again, is the magnum a diesel or a petrol variant? Still it makes sense to buy a newer car than a used one if you have the Vitamin M for those extra rupees.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:38   #6
BHPian

I was in a fix of whether I should butt in with a thought that I would be branded a fanboy but since people have already spoken, my advice too would be to go in for a new Safari. A new vehicle is anyday better than an old vehicle. No matter how immaculately kept, you never know as to under what conditions was it driven and how it was abused. Also, nothing can beat the comfort levels a Safari offers especially in the back seat.

Moreover, I have seen (on the forums) that it is sometimes better to go with the heart to stay happy. Go with your heart and you will not regret.

Whatever you decide, please update us and best of luck.

Last edited by SumitB : 14th July 2008 at 16:39.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:41   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys besides that used car loan interest rates are high too.I always loved the safari.It's more than just a car.It's a dream from the days when i used to drool over the paper ads of first generation safari back in 98.It's the only Indian SUV which still looks hot.I used to hear a lot about the reliability issues.I have test driven 3 L twice or thrice and 2.2 L over 5 or 6 times with different dealerships.Anybody got idea about any discounts available in cochin for same.I plan to buy vehicle from kerala owing to lesser taxation if i go for new vehicle.My lancer was a yellow sfxi Kerala registered.Never faced problems with cops in the 2 years of use in bangalore.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Blindly go with The King - Tata Safari - don't keep second thoughts.

The vehicle's road presence and the space inside makes you feel more comfortable and homely than in any other vehicles mentioned above.

As you mentioned in your 2nd Point - this is the best vehicle you can get to ride on a long drive with its new 2.2VTT engine and it is really easy to drive it in the City traffic which i love to do with my Vx version.

Last edited by gowda79 : 14th July 2008 at 16:44. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th July 2008, 16:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would agree with most of the members. The Safari would be the best bet here.

PS :The 2nd hand Optra Magnum is surely over priced. I think it should be priced below or around 7.5 lacs.Carwale might give you price idea.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:55   #10
BHPian

Wow thats encouraging!My would be likes Optra magnum better cos she feels safari is too big for her.But after seeing the safari in flesh she said that "It looks cool in black" and stuff He he!Though i don't know how she will react once she sees the interiors.For me i like the interiors but not the quality though.I see scope for some DIY using carbon fibre masking sheets and art leather
Old 14th July 2008, 17:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Tata Safari 2.2.
First of all its a brand new car plus its within your budget. The 2.2 is a real positive point in Safari right now.
Old 14th July 2008, 17:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

The Optra you were offered IS overpriced. I should know.. just sold off my 10 month, 10k kms old LT. These cars have very bad resale value.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:51   #13
BHPian

Thank you all of you!Think its better buying new especially when i am spending close to 8 lakh plus.I would like to go for EX version but since budget is a constraint restricting to LX.Also it will give me surplus for alloys and ice too.
Old 27th July 2008, 14:25   #14
BHPian

If you are going for Safari make sure you spend that extra 1 to 1.5 lac to get the EX 4x4 as I feel that this vehicle considering its weight should be bought with 4x4 option as if you go a bit off road NOT off roading it has a tendency to get stuck quite easily in soft mud and losing traction you will soon find that it is stuck upto its wheel well.

This when you would really feel the need for 4x4 and also feel helpless as you would have to look out for some mahindra or tata to get you towed out.

no need to go for VX with ABS if you are a cautious and not agressive driver.
Old 1st August 2008, 14:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1787 View Post
my 2 cents;
go for the safari, its a different vehicle altogether.The 2.2 engine is efficient and provides sufficient power to the beast.There is ample space inside and the seats, ride are the best you can have for below 20 lakhs.
The image factor is high with the safari and moreover a new car is a new car.
Here is my 1 $ which is greater than >>>>= 2 cents

Please DONT buy a Safari, I drove a Safari (freinds Safari) this week and here are my observations:

1) The steering feels disconnected from the car, its actually quite scary on high speeds. The car is not steered, its corrected and always had me had my heart in my mouth

2) It is a nightmare to park

3) It is a nightmare to steer it around a multi-level basement parking, with me having to reverse many times on tight curves

4) The finishing of this vehicle is pathetic, even by Maruti standards. Take a close look at the door opening lever, you will see screw nut bolt, they dont even have a plastic to cover it.

5) The turbo lag is quite evident in low speeds. While taking the car out of the basement parking, the car almost stalled as the turbo was not kicking in at low RPM.

6) The shockers of the car are great but the handling is awful.

7) Resale value is pathetic

8) If your wife drives, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT SAFARI!!!

I am prepared to be flamed by owners and fanboys of Safari, but I am sure even at certain level they will agree with my observations. They are observations from a long drive of the car, I have refrained from commenting on quality issues and niggling issues with the car, but if you do your research you will find many threads about unreliability of Safari even in this forum. Its a beast to look at from the outside, but an absolute nightmare from the inside (as in owning it). Its a hearts car, famous in forummers, young boys, etc. but its not practical!!!

I have also extensively driven Scorpio and though looks dated, it still holds its own in handling and drivability when compared to the Safari.

My 1 $ go for Optra TDCI!!!

Last edited by aseem : 1st August 2008 at 14:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks