View Poll Results: Are automatics faster than manual counterparts
Yes, Automatics are faster 6 9.38%
No way, Its manual transmission all along 31 48.44%
Cant' say, it depends on the vehicle 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 18:38   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic or Manual - Which is faster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Correct em if I am wrong but I am of the opinion that no self respecting enthusiast will ever be seen driving an Auto Box.
Whats disrespecting in driving a DSG? Well, give it a try, I am sure you will change your opinion. I love the DSG for the technology advancement it offers, more than speed, its the comfort that comes with the auto boxes(primarily), and why not when an auto box(DSG or any future tech) can offer some fun too? Why should we resist change?

I test drove the VW DSG Golf R - you should drive it to experience it, it indeed changed my opinions about the autoboxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You gotta drive one of the new gen cars with auto box to believe what it can do!

I had a similar view many years ago
+1 to it.

P.S: I still prefer to drive a manual, why? not because I am an enthusiast(well i am an enthusiast, as anyother member here!), but just that I love shifting gears and putting my legs, hand, eyes and mind to work together. (As famously said(modified a bit to suit the situation): I don't do it because its easy, but I do it because its not easy!). In my opinion hand-eye-leg coordination is something every human is blessed with and not all humans can do it perfectly, I try to better myself with every day.

On the whole, there are people who love to shift and drive and there are those who love have a laid back driving experience. So, I would say its an individual's call to choose his mode of drive - D, S or M

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 7th August 2012 at 18:43.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 19:24   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Manuals are like old carburetor engines whereas automatics are like Fuel Injected engines.
I don't get the analogy. Manual transmissions are certainly not an obsolete technology. It's a matter of choice, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Correct em if I am wrong but I am of the opinion that no self respecting enthusiast will ever be seen driving an Auto Box.
You are WRONG!

Slushboxes offer convenience and comfort for those who prioritise that over outright performance. In the case of the double-clutch boxes, there is not even a contradiction.

To each his own!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 20:36   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I don't get the analogy. Manual transmissions are certainly not an obsolete technology. It's a matter of choice, that's all.
Sir, Analogy is advancement in technology to do the same job.

What I meant is:

Manual transmissions are not obsolete in technology, but Auto transmission does the same job better, more consistent and with repeatability.

Carburettor supplies fuel in near stoichiometric ratios [AFR of 14.7:1 for petrol] and FI engines does it in a systematic, repeatable and consistent manner.

Get the drift?
Old 8th August 2012, 00:06   #169
Team-BHP Support

While the sensation of swapping cogs and working the 'box through its ratios is amazingly fun and certainly involving, city-driving has become more of a burden and a chore rather than being mundane or exciting. The constant engaging of clutch and switching from 1st and 2nd in stop-go traffic will not only wear out the clutch sooner, it will tire you out completely.

So according to my opinion, if your driving is limited to city-roads and if you'd be driving in peak-hour traffic, it makes no sense buying a manual-car, how much ever of an enthusiast you might be. It's just not the smartest thing to do.

But if you're buying a car that you intend on using only in the weekends and for some fun, a manual should do just fine.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 10:03   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
For such instances there is a kickdown button in most newer Automatics, located at the end of accelerator pedal's travel range, hitting it triggers the kickdown mode where the transmission automatically downshifts for fastest acceleration possible.
This is not new. Even my Zen AT (1997) had this.
Old 8th August 2012, 10:27   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Manuals are like old carburetor engines whereas automatics are like Fuel Injected engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Quote:
Sir, Analogy is advancement in technology to do the same job.

What I meant is:

Manual transmissions are not obsolete in technology, but Auto transmission does the same job better, more consistent and with repeatability.
I have to second noopster here, it is not the right analogy to compare FI and carburettor technology with manual/auto boxes. Auto transmissions offer convenience consistently, yes. Does it do the same job better? Perhaps not always. It depends on the situation. If you are doing rounds within the city traffic or on relaxed expressways, perhaps yes, an auto box would be better. If you are driving on a hilly terrain, encountering sudden inclines and hairpins, and need complete control over the torque, a manual box might be better suited. It is about personal preference to either have complete control over how much torque is being released to the wheels, or leave the control to a computer working on driving inputs.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 10:38   #172
Senior - BHPian

Actually, please drive a auto box in a hilly terrain and you would be surprised.
Old 8th August 2012, 10:59   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
If you are driving on a hilly terrain, encountering sudden inclines and hairpins, and need complete control over the torque, a manual box might be better suited.
Quote:
Actually, please drive a auto box in a hilly terrain and you would be surprised.
AT may never beat the manual for absolute control, but they very nearly do.

I have gone up and down the Nilgiris-hills 72 times in 5 years in a Civic-AT in plain 'D' mode, and it is does its job wonderfully (the Civic-AT has grade-logic-control).

Last edited by manim : 8th August 2012 at 11:00.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 12:07   #174
BHPian

I dont know how many of you are able to afford one automatic for daily use in traffic and another manual for spirited weekend drive. When we spend to the tune of 20L we expect a good all round package which can do both type reasonably well. I think I will take the gamble of DSG AT this time and see what it can do assuming triptonic will give me reasonable manual control. Going by the discussion I should have a AT small car which can negotiate the traffic and a manual big car with a boot for a spirited long drive to hill station with luggage. But assuming we spend more for a bigger car and not driving it daily also doesnt male sense
Old 8th August 2012, 14:14   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I have gone up and down the Nilgiris-hills 72 times in 5 years in a Civic-AT in plain 'D' mode, and it is does its job wonderfully (the Civic-AT has grade-logic-control).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I dont know how many of you are able to afford one automatic for daily use in traffic and another manual for spirited weekend drive.
Two points - manim you could use the S mode since that will give you engine braking, but no 5 on automatic.

dezrskb - When you go for a high end AT then there are a lot of refinements which make you much closer to a MT. Like I mentioned in the Civic you have the S-mode and paddle shifters. Also, the higher ATs have a transmission lock, which disables the Torque Converter at speeds above a threshold. I have myself got 17.6kpl on my Civic AT driving mostly in the 80-95kph band.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:27   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
I dont know how many of you are able to afford one automatic for daily use in traffic and another manual for spirited weekend drive.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones . In fact the main reason I am loathe to sell the Swift is that it is such fun to drive. Took it to the hills for a long weekend in the summer and came back completely exhilarated. But practicality wins most of the time and even on the expressways runs I prefer the Vento these days (maddening traffic at both city ends, more boot space etc.)

Quote:
When we spend to the tune of 20L we expect a good all round package which can do both type reasonably well. I think I will take the gamble of DSG AT this time and see what it can do assuming triptonic will give me reasonable manual control.
You should be OK. Most of the troublesome boxes are the 7 speed DSGs mated to the 1.8TSI Superb engines. With the 6-speed one on the diesel variants, you should be OK (though manson had his die on him on a long drive recently, which is just terrible).

DSG with paddle shifts or even tiptronic should give you enough manual control, don't worry.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 15:46   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster

You should be OK. Most of the troublesome boxes are the 7 speed DSGs mated to the 1.8TSI Superb engines. With the 6-speed one on the diesel variants, you should be OK (though manson had his die on him on a long drive recently, which is just terrible).

That' was my exact worry. Is this 6 speed DSG box as reliable as a manual?
Old 8th August 2012, 15:59   #178
BHPian

The world is moving towards automation, a manual may be more fun but modern twin clutch systems are faster and more importantly more consistent. It would be fun to drive an auto on the ghats that would enable me to pay more attention to the lines and braking when ripping it.
But a manual will always have a 'x' factor/charm to it as do most old things like jeeps/rx100s/enfields etc.
paras211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 21:13   #179
Senior - BHPian

Automatics are faster than manuals when you are talking about a quarter mile straight line drag. Remember a couple of years ago was on a drag track in South Africa and was talking to the champion there. He had a Datsun pick up which was seriously worked. Like a 10 or 11 second quarter mile and he used a three speed auto box for it.

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th August 2012 at 22:08. Reason: Another half of the post copied to another thread as the related discussion was moved to dedicated thread. Thanks
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 21:55   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Automatics are faster than manuals when you are talking about a quarter mile straight line drag. Remember a couple of years ago was on a drag track in South Africa and was talking to the champion there. He had a Datsun pick up which was seriously worked. Like a 10 or 11 second quarter mile and he used a three speed auto box for it.

Thank you - Deep Bow - Yes guys, automatics are much much faster in gear changes when compared to manuals, even if manual gives you the impression of being in control.

Modern electronics play a HUGE role in understanding each and every aspect [getting feedback via sensors] and there is hardly much error.

What we hear about in our country is because of the manufacturer giving us "indians" old tech stating that India is not ready etc etc.

We have world class manufacturing technology here in India for those who are willing to pay for it

Its time we as customers put our foot down for what we want rather than silently buy what is thrust onto us.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks