No way, Its manual transmission all along 31 48.44%
Cant' say, it depends on the vehicle 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 21:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Also auto shifting is more consistent than manual shifts and thats why F1 uses auto shifts too.
What are you talking?
Old 14th July 2008, 22:07   #17
BHPian

Are you talking about the time it takes to shift gears or the speed of the vehicle with AT? AT systems are improving and the actual shifting is much faster than in today’s MT cars by any standard. However when it comes to this translating to vehicle speed, it will be a different story. This also will have dependencies on the Vehicle, the AT logic used, driving habits, traffic conditions etc. Generally it will be sacrificing speed and responsiveness for FE which is why ST gives much lesser FE.

Anyway waiting to see the poll result as to what others think about this.
Old 14th July 2008, 22:09   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

So far, the answers seem to ignore the lever!

An auto gives the best of both worlds, as one can change down manually just as easily.

One can also maximise the acceleration from a standing start by manually selecting lower gears on an auto.

Long time back, I used to drive my little 19-seventy-something Civic AT as a clutchless manual. Left to itself, the initial 0-30 (MPH) was dismal, although accceleration thereafter became quite nippy.
Old 15th July 2008, 06:25   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Manual gears tends to give that sudden thrust when you shift to lower gear while you need sudden acceleration whereas auto does give the thrust but less compared to manual tranmission. I would prefer manual in highways and AT inside city.
ATs also especially the newer ones also give fabulous acc with downshifting.
Old 15th July 2008, 07:05   #20
JRD
BHPian

MT. unless its a f430 or similar
Old 15th July 2008, 11:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I forget which car, maybe a high end Audi, but it was certainly an expensive car --- but the Top Gear team pitted the manual against the auto, and none of them could get the manual to beat the auto's timings; it's 'brain' simply did a better job!

For those of us at the lower end of the market though, raw acceleration figures is simply not what it is about. Convenience is what it is about, especially for city driving.

Even for cruising: AT and Cruise Control --- the purrrfect combination
Old 15th July 2008, 12:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

As per some automag, for my Corolla, 0-100 is 9.8 s in manual, and 12 s in AT. I seriously wonder how does that matter in real time conditions. As I have said, having driven both manual and AT, acceleration in moving situation may be better in an AT, and also the ability to quickly take advantage of traffic gaps. Top speeds are roughly the same, and if someone is so punctilious about microseconds or seconds, he should get a job operating the Big Ben or the Delhi Clock Tower.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

gimme a tiptronic, ideal for any situation
Old 15th July 2008, 12:37   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
As per some automag, for my Corolla, 0-100 is 9.8 s in manual, and 12 s in AT. I seriously wonder how does that matter in real time conditions. As I have said, having driven both manual and AT, acceleration in moving situation may be better in an AT, and also the ability to quickly take advantage of traffic gaps. Top speeds are roughly the same, and if someone is so punctilious about microseconds or seconds, he should get a job operating the Big Ben or the Delhi Clock Tower.
that because the corolla has an ancient 4 speed auto isnt it? im sure it would be much quicker if it had a better auto gearbox.
Old 15th July 2008, 12:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Twin clutch gearboxes are seemingly faster than stick shifters. Eg: The Evo MR with a twin clutch tranny and paddle shifters is slightly faster on track than the Evo GSR with a 5 speed manual. In 0-60 the GSR is faster than the MR.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:19   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Superb topic, headers!

With most old-school automatics, the manual will be faster. However, there are exceptions to this rule. I remember an older-gen Corvette from the '90s where the auto was faster than the manual. It is safe to presume that <10 lakh rupee cars will use conventional automatic transmissions which are slower than manuals (Santro, NHC CVT, Corolla etc.).

On the other side, newer technologies such as tiptronic, DSG etc. have upped their game. Not only is it becoming increasingly common for them to clock faster 0 - 100 times, but they also boast butter-smooth shifts and ever increasing fuel efficiency.

My pick is still a 5 / 6 speed slick-shifting manual tranny though

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The laura automatic (DSG) is faster than the manual one by 0.3 Seconds ( a 0-100 Speed)
Not only is a DSG faster, but it is also *consistently* faster. In a manual transmission, the driver needs to launch in exactly the same (faster) way to maintain his best 0 - 100 time. I can tell you its impossible to maintain exactly the same consistency over several runs.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:35   #27
BHPian

DSG is faster than manual as in DSG in auto mode or DSG in manual mode?

If I am not wrong isn't DSG a mixture of a auto and manual? As in you can even change gears at your ease without having any clutch, so in that way a DSG in manual mode is faster than DSG in auto mode and normal manual?
Old 15th July 2008, 19:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
and none of them could get the manual to beat the auto's timings; it's 'brain' simply did a better job!

Even for cruising: AT and Cruise Control --- the purrrfect combination
I agree, some autos cant be beaten !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Superb topic, headers!
I can tell you its impossible to maintain exactly the same consistency over several runs.
Thanks GTO, Thats why automatics are so popular the world over. it makes the drivers job simpler.

Way back in 96, while on a roadking on the way to work, I actually counted the number of upshifts and downshifts over a distance of 13 kms in chennai and the number was a mind boggling 47 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
What are you talking?
The above 2 posts are for your kind reference oh master, need i say more, shall i chat later on gmail chat and get more gyan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
DSG is faster than manual as in DSG in auto mode or DSG in manual mode?

If I am not wrong isn't DSG a mixture of a auto and manual? As in you can even change gears at your ease without having any clutch, so in that way a DSG in manual mode is faster than DSG in auto mode and normal manual?

Well, i am a little lost here in this DSG auto and DSG manual. Can you explain please? Thanks
Old 15th July 2008, 19:25   #29
BHPian

In DSG there is on plain auto
Then there + -, I am refering that to manual DSG.
Old 15th July 2008, 19:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

@headers: With DSG, its basically an automatic GB with manual paddle shifters. You can choose between automatic and manual modes by a button.
The Automatic is presumably for city driving when you dont want to bother about shifting.
And when you switch to manual mode, the gear selection is completely upto you.
So,its the best of both worlds.

Most Viewed