Team-BHP - Budget Of About 1.25L - What to buy?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Budget Of About 1.25L - What to buy? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/45436-budget-about-1-25l-what-buy.html)

I'm looking for a used vehicle that is cheap to run, maintain etc. I can think of only two cars that can match the description at the price - Maruti Zen and Maruti Esteem.

Which of the two should I look for? Pros and Cons? I dont mind the Zen also although the boot space will be less and the car is going to get some serious ICE-ing. I would actually prefer a hatch.

Btw, power steering is a must. Most old Zens dont have it, do they? Would I get one with PS at the price?

Budget is fixed. Will not increase even a rupee.

A Palio 1.2? You'd get decent ones in that budget.

@ RoC - We have been terrorized by the one Palio 1.6 that we already have. Its a fuel guzzler, some parts are perpetually not available, others that are available are too expensive. Jaya Motors (S.S.) diagnosis/ service is pathetic.

A demo car :D? The Palio, with its low resale, should do the job perfectly. If you aren't keen on it, then the Maruti Zen it is (non-PS). Think about a Contessa too if you want something different.

This is what I would recommend:

Palio 1.2 or Palio Diesel - Diesel Palio is cheap to run, but difficult to find. Boot space is one of the best in class.

Santro LS with powersteering (pre 2001) - good car for city use. Boot space is not as good as Palio. Same as Zen.

Zen is a very good option. But getting a power steering model, mpfi, in that budget would be difficult.

All the Best!!

In Bombay, you should be able to get an Esteem 2000 VX with PW/PS/CL etc for your budget. But you got to be doing some serious damping on the esteem. Zen VX 2002 or after had PS standard. Actually, the conti is not a bad idea at all. :)

1.25L? I thought of some good ICE before seeing the section this is posted in. :)

Your needs will be fulfilled at most other than the Power steering in this budget. Shall I suggest you to keep an eye open for Altos also?
The best way is to find a good reliable person who deals with used cars. Explain your demands and he will get back to you when he finds one (hopefully).

In that budget you can suerly buy a GZ 15"inch Monster subwoofer ;)

Jokes apart one of my best friend is selling his carb zen 96' for 65k its in a good condition just spend about 20-25k for a paint makeover and little suspension it will rock,rest tyres/HU speakers are installed,if you want you can see it in person,let me know :)

How about an Alto? For this budget, i think you can get a nice one.

You should be able to find about 10yr, 1L km Esteem in this range with PS. Zen with PS may be more difficult to find in this range.

Leave your requirement with few dealers. An ad might also help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 969541)
Think about a Contessa too if you want something different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 969572)
IBut you got to be doing some serious damping on the esteem. Actually, the conti is not a bad idea at all. :)

Any car I buy, I should be able to single-handedly push to the side of the road in case of a breakdown, lol. Thats a very important lesson I have learnt after using a Sierra. And it sure gave me a lot of opportuinites to put my hands on its backside. For that, and for the pure age factor, the Conti would be a no-no.

Damping is no worries. Ghar ki kheti. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramie2400 (Post 969598)
Jokes apart one of my best friend is selling his carb zen 96' for 65k its in a good condition just spend about 20-25k for a paint makeover and little suspension it will rock,rest tyres/HU speakers are installed,if you want you can see it in person,let me know :)

That sounds wonderful! If its in good condition engine-vengine-wise, why not? The saved money can easily be used for more ICE. clap:

Additionally:

Can PS be retrofitted? Without any hassles? Are there any knowledgeable people who can do this? If yes, what would be the cost involved?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 969630)
That sounds wonderful! If its in good condition engine-vengine-wise, why not? The saved money can easily be used for more ICE. clap:

Additionally:

Can PS be retrofitted? Without any hassles? Are there any knowledgeable people who can do this? If yes, what would be the cost involved?

Engine-Vengine wise the car is good starts in half self,no issues FE is also good,i too drive it sometimes,only issue is the suspension work in front needs a overhaulin which will be within 3-4k including the bushing.Its white in colour interiors are clean,has 4850 HU and 6 x 9's mounted on the rear-boot.New tyres and steel rims.

PS we both can get together and do it up so no worries :)If you want to see the car let me know.

@ ramie - I don't mind. Let me know when I can take a look. And bhai, I would rather pass on the head unit + speekers for further price reduction. Please. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 969647)
@ ramie - I don't mind. Let me know when I can take a look. And bhai, I would rather pass on the head unit + speekers for further price reduction. Please. :)

Okieze not a problem,i'll just talk to him and let you know,also will ask him if we can meet up half way somewhere,he stays in kalina.He even has new tints on the car.

Attached the pic of the car..Source Orkut
Budget Of About 1.25L - What to buy?-zen.jpg

Something we were planning to do a few months ago :)

Budget Of About 1.25L - What to buy?-zen1.jpg

Ramie

Quote:

Any car I buy, I should be able to single-handedly push to the side of the road in case of a breakdown, lol. [/i]

Would suggest you join a Gym(the ones with the sumoko woofers :) ) & build your muscles.:D

Quote:

Can be done, but i dont think it is worth the trouble.