BHPian

No offence taken buddy. That's why I wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
But I understand what you mean.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:05   #92
BHPian

Airbags deployment failure is rare.

Airbag deployment failure is rare, according to people who work for safety organizations. Airbags are supplemental, secondary devices (primary being the seatbelt) designed to prevent fatal injuries but not non-fatal injuries.

So if a person dies, despite sitting correctly and wearing a seatbelt, and the airbag does not deploy, then it probably failed to deploy. In all other cases where the person was injured but not dead, the airbag probably was not programmed to deploy because the accident forces and angles were not severe enough and, therefore, the airbag did not fail.

About seven times the force of gravity (7 G's) is the force required to activate the front airbags. Also, the angle from the centre line of the vehicle must not exceed 30 degrees.

The reason I am writing this post is I was researching the safety of the latest Camry and I discovered the following site where people were complaining that the airbags in their Toyota vehicles did not deploy and they were injured. But I realized that the key point they were missing is that they were alive to complain which meant the car safety systems had passed with flying colors:

Consumer Complaints about Toyota Airbags

Kristina of Lake City MI (12/19/06)
I was in a car accident on 12/9/06 in my 2005 Toyota Camry. We hit a tree at an impact of 40-45 miles per hour almost head on. The seat belts restrained both my husband and I, but the air bags did not deploy on my side nor did it on the passenger side. I now am suffering from neck problems and migraines and wait for Toyota Experience to get back with me on this.

Here are other articles explaining airbag function:

Airbags in New Cars Seldom Fail, Experts Insist

How Airbags Work

Air Bags and Crash Sensors
Old 7th October 2010, 10:59   #93
BHPian

New safercar.gov (USA government) crash test rating system

The USA government NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) recently revised its safercar.gov website to reflect its new crash test rating system which also now informs us how the average female body would fare in a crash test.

Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop.../2011+Vehicles

I do not know of any other public crash test website that tests and mentions differences between the sexes. I hope the website is revised again to give us a few more details. For instance, I want to know what type of injuries the dummies sustained in the latest Camry's front impact test for the male to be given four stars and the female two. Also I'd like to know the height and weight of the dummies.
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:21   #94
BHPian

Re: Car with the best safety features ?

Note from Mod : You have way too many spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other members / guests.

You are hereby instructed to proof-read your posts prior to hitting the "submit" button. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2011 at 19:39.
Dieseldunk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:14   #95
BHPian

Re: Airbags deployment failure is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post

Kristina of Lake City MI (12/19/06)
I was in a car accident on 12/9/06 in my 2005 Toyota Camry. We hit a tree at an impact of 40-45 miles per hour almost head on. The seat belts restrained both my husband and I, but the air bags did not deploy on my side nor did it on the passenger side. I now am suffering from neck problems and migraines and wait for Toyota Experience to get back with me on this.

What kind of place would be best to install those 4 point harnesses? Rally prep shops?
Old 28th October 2014, 01:43   #96

Re: Honda recalls Brio, Amaze, CR-V over faulty airbags

Slightly off-topic: Every time a "which car to buy comes up", everyone here says, the one with the maximum safety your budget allows (over the features / comfort) which i accept 100%. But with recalls from so many companies in India and globally, how much do we trust the air bags and the premium Indian car companies charge for this?
Old 5th November 2014, 06:27   #97
BHPian

Re: Honda recalls Brio, Amaze, CR-V over faulty airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolBrat View Post
Slightly off-topic: Every time a "which car to buy comes up", everyone here says, the one with the maximum safety your budget allows (over the features / comfort) which i accept 100%. But with recalls from so many companies in India and globally, how much do we trust the air bags and the premium Indian car companies charge for this?
Hi,
Just because companies do a recall, does not take the quality standards down. Remember, company making a recall in itself is a quality standard. If HM did not ever make a recall it does not mean they have better quality standards than Honda.
No matter how stringent your checks are, there always be a chink in your armor. It's how soon you find it and rectify it that shows your quality standard.
So, trust the best companies out there.
Old 17th February 2015, 09:05   #98
BHPian

Petrol Polo Highline offers plenty of safety features and will be under the 10Lakh mark. It also has a sturdy chassis and impressive handling.
  • Anti-pinch power windows
  • ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
  • Speed-sensing auto door locks
  • Rear parking sensors.
  • Dual SRS safety Airbags.
And personally, I love Volkswagen cars and the way they take customers' concerns into account.
Old 30th March 2015, 19:17   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
Petrol Polo Highline offers plenty of safety features and will be under the 10Lakh mark. It also has a sturdy chassis and impressive handling.
  • Anti-pinch power windows
  • ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
  • Speed-sensing auto door locks
  • Rear parking sensors.
  • Dual SRS safety Airbags.
And personally, I love Volkswagen cars and the way they take customers' concerns into account.
Hi,

In the present context, Ciaz Zxi has all these safety features. Even Ciaz Vxi plus has them, except that there is only one airbag. But yes VW have dual airbags as standard even in their base version - which is quite confidence building.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks