Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 11:22   #1
BHPian

Going in for a new Safari - VTT or 4DL TCIC

I have a 1998 Safari and I am happy with the car. But I want to go in for the new safari. Which model is best ? - considering the fact that I will be traveling in remote places in long drives where the quality of fuel will be poor.

I was told that VTT engine requires high quality diesel. I have covered Nilgiris with my safari and didn't feel starved of power too much. I usually have cars for at least 5 years.

So what is the best option ? I would be grateful if someone could throw some light on this.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have a 1998 Safari and I am happy with the car. But I want to go in for the new safari. Which model is best ? - considering the fact that I will be traveling in remote places in long drives where the quality of fuel will be poor.

I was told that VTT engine requires high quality diesel. I have covered Nilgiris with my safari and didn't feel starved of power too much. I usually have cars for at least 5 years.

So what is the best option ? I would be grateful if someone could throw some light on this.
Well I have no experience on TCIC but it is said that 2.2 VTT is better then any other older safari. I use normal diesel on VTT if you are in a non metro you may get BS2 instead of BS3 but then there are thousands of common rail engines ( Innovasa , Safari Dicor , Scorpio CrDe) which run on BS2 fuels. People use additives like System D to clean the fuel injection systems more often there.

So untill you are at a place where Diesel / kerosene mix is the only choice and you have no intention to add fuel additive to restore lubricity you should not worry.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:44   #3
BHPian

Thanks Amit. So it is worth coughing up the extra 80 k for this new engine.
Old 1st October 2008, 23:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
you have no intention to add fuel additive to restore lubricity
None of the fuel additive is proved to be lubricative. They are corrosive instead.

If you are buying a new vehicle, buy the 2.2 VTT, never lookback for a new/used 3.0 DICOR.

But I trust the third generation Safari's TCIC engine quality & build than the new second generation DICOR Engine. East or West, Mechanical is the Best!!!

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 1st October 2008 at 23:55.
Old 1st October 2008, 23:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

2.2 is the right engine for the safari.
TCIC is majorly underpowered that it needs to be stressed to get the beast moving.
Old 2nd October 2008, 00:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
TCIC is majorly underpowered that it needs to be stressed to get the beast moving.
Man, I never seen a DICOR overtaking my TCIC in my life - Even in City traffic. Believe Me!!!

But don't waste your money on a TCIC if you are buying a car now.

A well maintained TCIC engine is 100% enough in Chennai City/highway with A/C ON always(Believe me, I can't control the car if A/C is off!!!), its my personal experience - you people don't trust, I know!!!

Get a 2.2 DICOR man, dont use any additives to reclaim your life.

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 2nd October 2008 at 00:04.
Old 2nd October 2008, 07:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ibm_jennifer ... TCIC engine is 100% enough in Chennai City/highway with A/C ON always(Believe me, I can't control the car if A/C is off!!!), its my personal experience
That TCIC is not sufficient even for the Sumo, forget the Safari. The lighter Sumo itself feels under-powered with that engine.
Quote:
ibm_jennifer : But don't waste your money on a TCIC if you are buying a car now.
While that TCIC engine is proven, and in a way not complicated (like the Common-Rails), would suggest you go for the 2.2 if you are buying a Safari today.

Quote:
ibm_jennifer : Man, I never seen a DICOR overtaking my TCIC in my life - Even in City traffic. Believe Me!!!
Doesnt mean you will never. THe TCIC is no match for the 2.2
Old 2nd October 2008, 08:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
None of the fuel additive is proved to be lubricative. They are corrosive instead.
HOw do you say that? I've used system D and system G extensively and dont think they are corrosive, IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
2.2 is the right engine for the safari.
The 2.2 is a lot better than the TCIC, but the safari has a major weight problem, which is noticed at high speed slaloms and hard braking. What I love about the 2.2VTT is the lack of diesel engine feel and noise levels at idle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That TCIC is not sufficient even for the Sumo, forget the Safari. The lighter Sumo itself feels under-powered with that engine.
THe TCIC is no match for the 2.2
Again, its the weight of the vehicle that spoils the fun. I never realised that when we had an estate way back [92-96] which was even worse as there was no TC.

Its only when we get to see/drive more modern vehicles that one appreciates the lack of whatever in the TATAs. But they are good Engineers!
Old 2nd October 2008, 08:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
headers : HOw do you say that? I've used system D and system G extensively and dont think they are corrosive, IMO
Agree there. And these two are recommeded by Tata itself.

Quote:
headers : ... the safari has a major weight problem, which is noticed at high speed slaloms and hard braking.
headers : Again, its the weight of the vehicle that spoils the fun.
Even normal start-off, with the A/c on. And definitely when you want to over-take someone.

OT: The weight is where the Scorp scores. The 1850kg Scorp feels spirited with that CRDe engine. Tata's can definitely learn from the Scorp on this point.
Old 2nd October 2008, 08:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

VTT all the way there is no point in purchasing a TCIC unless you are falling really short on budget and dont want to look at anything else other than a safari.
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

it makes me wonder why tdi safari is still available for sale. along with 2.2.

I know this for sure that TDi is very much in demand and some people who buy it swear by the engine....

Prowler:: Test drive both and pickup what you like
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Agree there. And these two are recommended by Tata itself.
That doesn't mean that its lubricative. The only additive which is anti corrosive is Nanotech F2-21 (Its also not lubricative).
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Would recommend to go for 2.2 instead of TCIC. the engine is more refined and as others has informed, it has more power than TCIC. Of course there are some niggling issue with the interior parts. But its only subjective.

If you can wait for some more months, a new safari is being tested and it will be on roads in 2009.
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Would recommend to go for 2.2 instead of TCIC.
I agree, never buy a TCIC again. Its dead already!

But what I suggest is, if you have a TCIC, why don't you maintain it and keep it with you, instead of selling it. I love the TCIC Engine Sound, Engine Build Quality, Road Presence, & Look than a DICOR(Its my personal thought!!!)

But really, I don't know, why you people are saying that TCIC is underpowered(?), You people are not maintaining your car well(???). I never feel it underpowered in city traffic with the A/C On, usually I have never been overtaken by cars/bikes in signals, then why I need more power!!!. You will not trust me, until you drive my car. (Yes, I have driven DICOR also - I agree its very much better than a TCIC Engine, that doesnt worth to sell a TCIC for a DICOR!)

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 2nd October 2008 at 11:06.
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi ibm_jennifer,

> But really, I don't know, why you people are saying that TCIC is
> underpowered(?),

THe TCIC may not match a modern DICOR in performance, but if the power characteristics is used properly, it is no slouch either.

I had one between Nov 1999 and July 2005 and had used it for 76000kms. It was an Aug 1998 model boght new and registered in Nov 1999.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks