Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2008, 09:05   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
No offence but I wonder why 'some' people can even think of buying the decade old buried in Japan ugly MR Wagon which rattles at the first pot hole as you drive it out of the showroom.

I like the A-Star, its modern in all ways but is super cramped at the rear. Go for the i10 if you can afford it, get the Spark if you want VFM.
WagonR rattles because the maruti technicians have designed it so as to meet the low turning radius. Usually, the steering is adjusted to stop rattling, but in case of WagonR due to overturning of wheels the drive shaft gets very stressed.

For 80% highway, driving continously for 4 hours or more...
then go for A-star/palio/getz/u-va. They have low center of gravity combined with good driving comfort.

The other cars like i10,santro,wagonR,estillo, are designed for city commute, considering their tall, high center of gravity design combined with erect driving position. I would not advise anyone to go for swift, because its a rally car whch has no use for the common people. The car is a monster with no definet usage to its customers.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
I would not advise anyone to go for swift, because its a rally car whch has no use for the common people. The car is a monster with no definet usage to its customers.
dude, are you high or something ? People are willing to wait months to get their hands on one of these
Old 13th December 2008, 12:26   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
dude, are you high or something ? People are willing to wait months to get their hands on one of these
High? lol, yes I am enlightened now, thanks to the free marijuana.

Dude, believe me or not. Swift is a rally car and will be the same always. It has nothing in it to offer to the actual customer needs.(absolute no practicality)

It does " NOT " offer
- ease in city driving i.e it cant squeeze into small spaces in city traffic
- light & precise steering as seen in i10 or spark
- driving comfort i.e the driver sits tight all the time.
- good suspension and ride comfort(front & rear) i.e weak suspension

it offers
- best in class pickup suited for rally cars
- tight and heavy grip steering suited for rally cars
- upright position of driver seats, again suited only for rally cars
- very wide stance and road gripping, only seen in rally cars.

If you wanna control the car go for i10/spark
If you want the car to control you then go for swift

Last edited by ritz830 : 13th December 2008 at 12:28.
Old 13th December 2008, 13:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

^ what rubbish , do you really believe that ? If that was the case swift would have been the worst selling car in India
Old 13th December 2008, 13:36   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
^ what rubbish , do you really believe that ? If that was the case swift would have been the worst selling car in India
Rubbish. You are just bullish about swift.

As I said earlier, the swift is like a monster. The sheer adrenalin rush and the thrill makes people addicted to it and forget about their own needs.

Please do not speak about volume dude. In India we are restrained by budget, and budget and budget only. And for that budget if we experience something new which is not offered in other segment i.e swift with 87bhp, then we feel like we won a jackpot. The 87bhp matters only for those minority dudes while most of us need a car with overall good qualities like good handling, suspension, space and ease of city driving.

Fiat Palio, Daewoo cielo - these were outstanding cars. They were built for the future. But at the time of launch the average indian customer and the local car mechanics had no idea how much technology/engineering and customer centric features these cars had in them. And eventually these cars will be relaunched again in future, and will be a success.
Old 13th December 2008, 13:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

and you are just bullish about the spark. no doubt a competent car, is by no means better than the swift
Old 13th December 2008, 13:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WagonR rattles because the maruti technicians have designed it so as to meet the low turning radius.
LOL! There is a difference between WagonR and MR Wagon (which abhi was talking about).

And rattle because of low turning radius? again. In that case, Santro,having even lower turning radius would be worse?!

FYI We have a 5 year WagonR and 7.5 year old Santro Zipplus, both don't rattle.

And i agree with others, you seem to be on a high.

Last edited by DCEite : 13th December 2008 at 13:50.
Old 13th December 2008, 13:55   #53
BHPian

it offers
- best in class pickup suited for rally cars
- tight and heavy grip steering suited for rally cars
- upright position of driver seats, again suited only for rally cars
- very wide stance and road gripping, only seen in rally cars.

This is exactly the reason for going in for a Swift with 80% highway driving.
Old 13th December 2008, 15:21   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rubbish. You are just bullish about swift.

As I said earlier, the swift is like a monster. The sheer adrenalin rush and the thrill makes people addicted to it and forget about their own needs.

Please do not speak about volume dude. In India we are restrained by budget, and budget and budget only. And for that budget if we experience something new which is not offered in other segment i.e swift with 87bhp, then we feel like we won a jackpot. The 87bhp matters only for those minority dudes while most of us need a car with overall good qualities like good handling, suspension, space and ease of city driving.

Fiat Palio, Daewoo cielo - these were outstanding cars. They were built for the future. But at the time of launch the average indian customer and the local car mechanics had no idea how much technology/engineering and customer centric features these cars had in them. And eventually these cars will be relaunched again in future, and will be a success.
again stop spreading your fud , the swift is a perfectly servicable and easy to drive car. Theres nothing in it that makes it the sort of monster rally car you make it out to be.

Plus palio is still selling , dont make it sound like some obsolete car that was discontinued 10 years ago
Old 13th December 2008, 16:04   #55
BHPian

Swift both petro and Diesel is a good car, Proven engines.

Small issues like rattles can be fixed. Use some good dampening materials,
which solves problem once for all.
Old 13th December 2008, 16:42   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosa View Post
I did TD Spark yesterday and found it to be a better option among the three and within my budget.

I will be TDing Indica Xeta once again if I could find a good dealer (initial TD experience was very bitter due to issues with the dealership I had visited).

So for now, I have Alto Lxi and Spark in my list with Indica Xeta as a backup. In case price of Spark goes up next week as told by the dealer, I'd zero in on the Alto. And then it is all up to Tata dealership to show some customer service miracle before I cut a cheque.

As usual, I see that my initial post generated some interesting debates. Thanks very much for your inputs and feedback. Very much appreciated.
Please do not go to a TATA showroom with high hopes of Professional Customer service. For that, please go to a GM showroom or Hyundai!

However my bet is on TATA Indica Xeta! I've been in both diesels and petrol version on Highway trips and i tell you it handles superbly in curves and bumps along with comfort! You can stretch your budget a bit and try for base or middle version of Diesel or a Xeta Petrol!

Probably you can narrow down to Spark and Indica Xeta or TDi Diesel V2!
Old 13th December 2008, 17:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

dealers always sold xetas with heavy discounts. typically 20~30k. with tata adding another 30k, and the indian govt another 15k, this is the best time
Old 13th December 2008, 18:12   #58
BHPian

When I drive the swift for more than 1 hr, I get back aches and my left foot pains. Otherwise its a perfectly drivable car in highways if you are not bothered much about city driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks