Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2009, 12:04   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
My main concern about the Scorpio is limited legroom upfront for the driver
It's not that bad. I am 6'1" and don't have a problem with the leg space up front. You just have to get used to the slightly upright sitting posture. I don't know how much they have improved the seats in the new Scorp, but in my old one I added some foam padding to provide some additional lumbar support. Works well - have done several long drives with no issues.
Quote:
PS: Also due to a rather stiff back, good absorbent ride quality is a priority. Actually only for the front seats, the ride should be good because I'll not be using the back seats much.
Front seats in the Scorp are comfortable enough. Safari scores higher in the middle & rear seat comfort levels, but this isn't a priority for you.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:18   #137
BANNED

Thanks Raj, after reading your views, my inclination to wards Scorpio(refresh) is growing!
So, ride, breaking has been taken care of in the refresh.

Thanks Razor, I've test driven Scorpio a no. of times & used my friends Scorp for some time, but these were all the earlier versions, not the M-hawk. My knees would always touch the lower part of the front dash & central console, one seats pretty much close to the dash in a Scorpio. I mean its not the lofty driving position as in some of spacious cars.
Also, the steering wheel when tilted down wards, touches the thighs. Ideally this should not be the case.

Yes, my main concern is the ride quality experienced in the front seats & if its ok as indicated by you & Raj, I'll prefer a Scorpio.
Old 11th April 2009, 14:30   #138
BHPian

I suggest you also have a good look at Tavera - High End variant. Long Lasting vehicle. Worth for money. Good Mileage and great high way cruiser. Im not saying this to be the best, but a good option / choice to have a look at.
Old 11th April 2009, 17:39   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Razor, I've test driven Scorpio a no. of times & used my friends Scorp for some time, but these were all the earlier versions, not the M-hawk. My knees would always touch the lower part of the front dash & central console, one seats pretty much close to the dash in a Scorpio. I mean its not the lofty driving position as in some of spacious cars.
Also, the steering wheel when tilted down wards, touches the thighs. Ideally this should not be the case.
This is still the case in the refresh - no change. I own one, but seem comfortable. Had a couple of taller guys venture into the front seat and their legs do touch the steering wheel.

But this is because its got a very jeep like front position - not like a car where you stretch your legs all the way to the front. Since I drive a jeep with seats in the original pre-50's configuration, I could adapt to this easier.

Last edited by Red Liner : 11th April 2009 at 17:41.
Old 11th April 2009, 17:50   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raj, after reading your views, my inclination to wards Scorpio(refresh) is growing!
So, ride, breaking has been taken care of in the refresh.

Yes, my main concern is the ride quality experienced in the front seats & if its ok as indicated by you & Raj, I'll prefer a Scorpio.
hey buddy, first of all, when it comes to things like ride quality, i would suggest you take a TD of the scorpio as well as the safari over rough roads to come to a conclusion. dont go on our sole opinion entirely. now if hrag or suman comments on this post, they will say the safari's ride is much better even in the front seats, its but obvious. its for you to decide. we can only help you narrow down your choices.

mahindra has not changed the interiors of the scorpio, so if you were uncomfortable in the older scorpio, i think even the newer one will bother you. i am 6'2" tall and i dont find its driving position uncomfortable. maybe you get used to it.

best of luck.
Old 11th April 2009, 18:31   #141
BANNED

Thanks Pingpong, there was a time when I used to like Tavera, but GM has really fallen behind in upgrading it. I know its FE is the max. among MUV's but the taxi image & dated engine bog it down. Also, GM's Worldwide health is an issue, its sure to have an impact in India too.

Thanks Redliner, yes you are right Jeepers can easily get comfortable behind the wheel of a Scorpio!
I have made numerous requests to Mahindra since the time Scorpio was launched, to increase the front legroom, but I guess due to the limitations of the platform & saving the 2nd row legroom, MM can't do much.
What about getting the front seat retrofitted from outside to a slightly back position?
I know that would jeopardise safety, but tight spaces make me feel claustrophobic!

Thanks Raj, you know what, I've Test driven the Scorpio to hell from the local M&M agency! Now I guess I would be going to buy only, so much depends upon suggestions by you guys!
But these were all older gen. Scorpio's, not even M-Hawk. On second thoughts, I could try another City, but neighbouring Cities have already been given ample tries!
Old 12th April 2009, 12:16   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that would jeopardise safety, but tight spaces make me feel claustrophobic!

Thanks Raj, you know what, I've Test driven the Scorpio to hell from the local M&M agency! Now I guess I would be going to buy only, so much depends upon suggestions by you guys!
But these were all older gen. Scorpio's, not even M-Hawk. On second thoughts, I could try another City, but neighbouring Cities have already been given ample tries!
buddy, if you feel clautrophobic inside a scorpio, look at more suitable options like the innova or safari.
do you mean you have never test driven a mHawk?
go and have a TD and you will forget all shortcomings, right from the poor legroom to the bouncy ride. atleast thats what happened in my case!
Old 1st May 2009, 13:47   #143
BANNED

After tinkering for long, my final call shall be between the:
Scorpio - Safari - Innova.
Now, Safari was the obvious choice for the comfort it provides specially the best ride quality but the horror stories about problems faced by the owners with the vehicle, has left me thinking. Many of the owners who have faced problems maintained it well & use to swear by it! Injector failures, service light flashing, etc. are big worries.
Is there any news of Tata launching a facelifted Safari in short time, with these problems resolved? Also, the Scorpio & Innova getting facelifts, leaves Tata to follow suit.

Problem with Scorpio is the restricted driver seat legroom, while Innova doesn't have any of the issues but its overall appeal is not SUV like.

Its turning out pretty hard deciding between the 3!
Old 1st May 2009, 13:56   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its turning out pretty hard deciding between the 3!
Hey, bhp1, look at it pragmatically. Your best bet is the Innova. It's better to get wherever you're going with a wee bit of discomfort on the seats than to be on a very comfortable sofa that doesn't go as you wish it to!
Old 1st May 2009, 14:14   #145
BANNED

Thanks Anup, I completely agree on it!
Moreover, I drive alone most of the times & need something extremely reliable which does not leave me stranded.
Apart from the Innova, Scorpio also qualifies here but Im not sure about the Safari.

As I said, Innova is the natural choice, it also being safer than the other 2 but the MUV/Van like stance/look is a bit of a turn off for me.

If I were to narrow down to 2 out of 3, Innova is certainly in but which of the other 2(Scorp/Safari) should I include in the final decision making?
Old 1st May 2009, 14:38   #146
Senior - BHPian

as you drive alone, i would only suggest you the scorpio.

and between the innova & scorpio, its a tough call. TD both back to back & come to a conclusion.
you will have to set your priorities:
reliability or SUV appeal...
ride quality or tough build...
brand image or gem of an engine...

choice is your!
Old 1st May 2009, 14:42   #147
Senior - BHPian

The Innova's D-4D is no slouch. With a Pete's box chucked in, it'll burn the pants off many petrol sedans more expensive than it.

The Innova is supremely comfortable - I can vouch for it having travelled quite a few thousand kilometers in one. It won't leave you stranded since it is a Toyota after all. If you don't require OTR capabilities, there is no question at all. Innova it is.
Old 1st May 2009, 15:06   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the Innova, Scorpio also qualifies here but Im not sure about the Safari.
LOL, you said it, not I!
Seriously, IMO, if you're not in for a 4X4, stick with the Innova!

That's what I'd have done.
Old 1st May 2009, 15:26   #149
BANNED

Thanks Raj, its turning out really difficult deciding between the 3!
Only thing going against Innova for me is its MUV appeal & regarding Scorpio is its lack of legroom for the driver & also unsettled ride but the SUV appeal is a huge positive. So, its almost balanced among the 2!
I did TD all of them but still am unable to pick one, all excel in diff. areas & most areas are appealing!

Thanks Immortalz, I have also driven Innova quite a bit & never really felt the lack of grunt/power on the stock version, Pete shall give it wings!

Thanks Anup, are you scared to start a Scorpio vs Safari war!
Actually, Im not going to buy a 4x4 Safari or Scorpio as both of them have limited Offroading capabilities.

I was interested in Scorp/Safari because of their SUV appeal & the ability to scare away rickshaws/autos/pedestrians. Does the Innova also have getting the road in front empty kind of potential?
Old 1st May 2009, 15:33   #150
Team-BHP Support

In Pb both the Scorpio and Innova will have equal traffic scaring abilities, but if you want show off, safari is the best bet in PB.
Its the only state where Safari outsells the scorpio.
Going by your requirement, you will be the happiest in Innova, but be ready for being stopped by police now and then(many taxi wallas drive white place innovas as taxis).

Most Viewed