Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2008, 19:37   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Thanks I test drove a friend's Scorpio(o8/slx model), at slow speeds I got jarred inside & high speeds weren't confidence inspiring. But overall drive was involving, fun & exciting. On broken tarmac, slow speed ride was bumpy & at high speeds it galloped like a horse.
Now, these are my views, could be wrong too, if someone could shed more light!
In terms of FE there's not much to choose between the two. Some of my friends who own both the vehicles say, Safari tends to be more FE at times!

Not actually, but I won't mind taking my 2x2 for offroading trips, for whatever they can manage!
Btw, which 2x2 would perform better in offroading?
you are not entirely wrong. now TD the mHAWK!

the best 2x2 for off-roading: bolero and gypsy!
Old 12th December 2008, 20:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
you are not entirely wrong. now TD the mHAWK!

2x2????????
btw gypsy was always a 4X4
Old 12th December 2008, 20:33   #78
Senior - BHPian

LOL! it means a 2WD bike!
also, arent 2WD gypsys available?
Old 12th December 2008, 20:44   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nopes
from MG410 to MG413W all gypsies are 4wd
Old 13th December 2008, 07:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guess thats funny eh? Definitely not. The bolero and gypsy are very commendable vehicles for offroad performance, IFF one understands how to drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
2x2????????
btw gypsy was always a 4X4
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
nopes
from MG410 to MG413W all gypsies are 4wd
They are selectable 4wd machines with a full 4x4 lock by default!
Old 13th December 2008, 09:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guess thats funny eh? Definitely not. The bolero and gypsy are very commendable vehicles for offroad performance, IFF one understands how to drive it.

They are selectable 4wd machines with a full 4x4 lock by default!
of course!

but i saw 2 gypsys in the police garage in byculla. there were these open top ones for the mumbai police. it did not have a 4WD lever. when i asked the driver, he told me this one does not have 4x4, so i assumed gypsys can be ordered without 4x4 too!
Old 13th December 2008, 10:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
of course!

....so i assumed gypsys can be ordered without 4x4 too!
ROFL: Nevermind Raj_5004:

The police and 90% of the government 4x4 vehicles have their 4wd removed "unofficially" to gain better FE from the vehicle.

cheers
Old 13th December 2008, 11:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks I test drove a friend's Scorpio(o8/slx model), at slow speeds I got jarred inside & high speeds weren't confidence inspiring. But overall drive was involving, fun & exciting. On broken tarmac, slow speed ride was bumpy & at high speeds it galloped like a horse.
Now, these are my views, could be wrong too, if someone could shed more light!
In terms of FE there's not much to choose between the two. Some of my friends who own both the vehicles say, Safari tends to be more FE at times!

Not actually, but I won't mind taking my 2x2 for offroading trips, for whatever they can manage!
Btw, which 2x2 would perform better in offroading?
Now if you have to decide between Safari and Scorpio mHawk both 2WD and 2.2 Engine once again do a test drive and this time on a broken undulating muddy road , like at most of the places where they leave with out leveling after laying sewage/water pipes and then check which one is not churning your stomach and buy it. This is nearest to offroading test you can do on a TD vehicle.

If you want occasional 4WD then scorpio is not available in 4WD. About maneuverability in traffic I have driven both 2.2 versions in Bangalore traffic and I do not think Scorpio is much different so this is a subjective claim.

Fabia let me not comment on it.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If you want occasional 4WD then scorpio is not available in 4WD.
Scorpio mHAWK is available in 4wd!
Old 13th December 2008, 12:17   #85
Senior - BHPian

no headers, the mHAWK is not available in 4WD, the scorpio CRDe is... pretty sad!
Old 17th December 2008, 22:51   #86
BANNED

Thanks guys, well I owned a Gypsy(4x4) in 1997, it was a fantastic vehicle, made for enthusiasts. But as the topic heading says- "Comfortable", Gypsy was sadly totally opposite. The ride quality of Gypsy is similar to a tractor! Almost every single, minor undulation is amplified & felt.
Still its not that I did not think of it this time around, the car enthusiast in me keeps me getting back to it. But I was shocked by the sticker price it now has, it felt way OTT to me!

Safari is available in 4x4, but how helpful is it actually?
Also, I checked on Mahindra's website, Scorpio pick up only showed a 4x4 option, none of the normal Scorpio's had 4x4 as an option. Maybe site is not updated, but if Scorpio comes with a 4x4, how much extra does it cost over a similar normal model?

One of my friend suggested Invader to me, but I think it is devoid of creature comforts & a powerful engine! Ride quality is also unknown.
Old 18th December 2008, 04:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys, well I owned a Gypsy(4x4) in 1997, it was a fantastic vehicle, made for enthusiasts. But as the topic heading says- "Comfortable", Gypsy was sadly totally opposite. The ride quality of Gypsy is similar to a tractor! Almost every single, minor undulation is amplified & felt.
Still its not that I did not think of it this time around, the car enthusiast in me keeps me getting back to it. But I was shocked by the sticker price it now has, it felt way OTT to me!

Also, I checked on Mahindra's website, Scorpio pick up only showed a 4x4 option, none of the normal Scorpio's had 4x4 as an option. Maybe site is not updated, but if Scorpio comes with a 4x4, how much extra does it cost over a similar normal model?

One of my friend suggested Invader to me, but I think it is devoid of creature comforts & a powerful engine! Ride quality is also unknown.
Have you tried the Crde Bolero?
I think you had tried the DI turbo and liked its ride quality.

The Crde,is quite fast as compared to its older cousins 0-100 in 18.xx secs and 135km/hr top whack
Old 18th December 2008, 10:54   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by helpful?
Safari(4x4 or 4x2) will have niggles. You may get 2.6 scopio with 4x4, but I am not sure about reliability or niggles part. For example at Mahindra great escape all the scorpio 4x4s had their 4x4 systems failing(the vehicles were provided by mahindra)
Old 18th December 2008, 11:03   #89
BANNED

Quote:
The 4x4 on the Safari / Scorpio will help you get out of slush (the types you encounter on unfinished roads / highways), provide better traction on gravel and enable you to climb / descend steep inclines should there be a need. If your usage is primarily on-road, it will provide that additional peace-of-mind factor if you encounter really bad gravelly / slushy roads and / or inclines.

Last edited by hrag : 18th December 2008 at 11:07.
Old 18th December 2008, 11:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You may get 2.6 scopio with 4x4, but I am not sure about reliability or niggles part. For example at Mahindra great escape all the scorpio 4x4s had their 4x4 systems failing(the vehicles were provided by mahindra)
Are you serious?

I heard from fellow Bhpians that the Mahindra Getaway 4x4 that was kept in the specially prepared "track" at the Autocar event in Mumbai also fried its clutch trying to get out of the slush.

Most Viewed