Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 19:41   #121
Senior - BHPian

sorry for the mistake buddy, the souvenir is a modified major, the price of the major is 6 lakhs and cost of customisation is 1.5 lakhs, so the souvenir is 7.5 lakhs.
yes, its feature-less and mahindra has kept it that way. if you notice in the website, they dont even offer you a power steering. but thats the charm of such a vehicle. just imagine the glances you will receive when you drive that vehicle. i have seen it twice in mumbai and the owner had a big smile on his face even without AC and power steering. and i was sweating in my AC scorpio looking at his drive. no scorpio, safari or even endy can give you such pride my friend.
yes, i dont think its practical but its a good off roader, for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Comfortable High Miler-111.jpg  

Comfortable High Miler-222.jpg  

Last edited by raj_5004 : 18th December 2008 at 19:50.
Old 18th December 2008, 20:00   #122
BANNED

Thanks, good info. Souvenir is looking fantastic, but I would rather buy a Scorpio/Bolero ie. closed body with A.C, P.S at this price point.
Mahindra should offer Jeeps at reasonable prices, this is what they were known for not long before, why are they walking away from their core strength!

For oomph factor,I can get a similar shaped customised jeep for ~ 2-2.5 L, but that won't do the same level of offroading & would fall apart soon!
Old 19th December 2008, 11:55   #123
Senior - BHPian

Almost every thing available in market that can be considered comfortable high miler is already discussed in this thread but as your other post says you can buy Pajero . Whhy so much of discussion then just go ahead and buy it Do post your ownership report soon.
I think this thread has already served its purpose.
Old 19th December 2008, 14:41   #124
BANNED

No, I don't know anything about the Pajero apart from the fact that it is a very old vehicle & renouned for offroading long back.
Now, I guess market has moved on & present breed of SUV's offer much more.
Old 19th December 2008, 14:54   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
No, I don't know anything about the Pajero apart from the fact that it is a very old vehicle & renouned for offroading long back.
Now, I guess market has moved on & present breed of SUV's offer much more.
Such a loooooonngg time to decide on a comfy high miler..

I thought you've already got one.

Look no further dude. Safari is the only choice for your kind of needs.

Go ahead Reclaim life.
Old 19th December 2008, 15:15   #126
BANNED

Montero? How much does it cost? It looked great and expensive. Poor me :(
Old 19th December 2008, 17:50   #127
BANNED

@Pavan, I'm in no sort of hurry! I've many times jumped frantically into new vehicle buys, just to repent later. This time around I want to weigh all pros/cons. & select a vehicle that could be near ideal/perfect for me.
Safari is high on my agenda, but I doubt its life reclaiming potential!!lol!

@Spitfire, if I were so rich!!
Old 19th December 2008, 19:11   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari is high on my agenda, but I doubt its life reclaiming potential!!lol!
me too!

buddy, i agree the pajero is an old design but it an still teach the wannabes (read scorpio and safari) a lesson or two when it comes to off roading and mile munching. it has got the most well balanced suspension setup among SUVs which offers you a very comfortable ride. and yes, ITS A PAJERO DUDE! the name itself carries a lot of weight!
the only thing you will not like about the pajero is the noisy/old tech engine compared to the new breed. even the design is much better than the safari/scorpio though its 2 decades old.

@ spitfire: montero costs 45 lakhs on-road in mumbai.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 19th December 2008 at 19:12.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:30   #129
BANNED

I am aware of Pajero's heroics, but how wise would it be to buy a car on its past laurels? Certainly it is miles ahead of Safari/Scorpio, err, what am I comparing! But look at the price diff. too, I can buy both of them inside of Pajero's cost!
Also, I read in auto magazines, the sky high priced spare parts of the Pajero, in case of serious offroading, this too is a concern. Some mags also say that Pajero's offroad capabilities are blown out of proportions & its actually the Montero which is supremely capable.

Btw, Montero costs ~ 35L.

My query about MM550 still remains unanswered. Can it really be ordered from the Company still & what's the aprox. price?
Old 19th December 2008, 19:38   #130
BHPian

@raj 5004- The PAJERO may have an old engine,but it is literaly bomb-proof.There is nothing much required in mantaining that engine except regular oil changes.On the other hand I feel the engine to be much quieter than the latest CRDi engines, which are prone to troubles after 1lakh kms.Even the power delivery is linear andvoid of violent Turbo jerks.
Old 19th December 2008, 19:48   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, Montero costs ~ 35L.
the website quotes its price as 38 lakhs, ex-showroom.
Mitsubishi - Price

add in insurance, tax, vat and registration, it would go upto, i think 42-43 lakhs. i am saying this because a friend of mine bought a montero about 6 months back and he said it costs 45 lakhs, on-road.
Old 10th April 2009, 20:50   #132
BANNED

*Bump*
Ok guys Im taking the final call within a couple of days.
Octavia, Fabia are out due to Skoda's "instigating" behavior!

Final choice is between Scorpio LX(refresh) & Safari LX.
No 4x4 because new Scorpio does not have this option as of now & about Safari 4x4 I've heard a lot of horror stories.

Also the much anticipated Mahindra's new Jeep, as was the expectation building up in some other threads, is nowhere on the horizon, so don't want to wait for eternity!

My main concern about the Scorpio is limited legroom upfront for the driver & about Safari is its niggling/common problems.

PS: Also due to a rather stiff back, good absorbent ride quality is a priority. Actually only for the front seats, the ride should be good because I'll not be using the back seats much.

Last edited by bhp1 : 10th April 2009 at 20:56.
Old 11th April 2009, 10:33   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Final choice is between Scorpio LX(refresh) & Safari LX.
No 4x4 because new Scorpio does not have this option as of now & about Safari 4x4 I've heard a lot of horror stories.

Also the much anticipated Mahindra's new Jeep, as was the expectation building up in some other threads, is nowhere on the horizon, so don't want to wait for eternity!

My main concern about the Scorpio is limited legroom upfront for the driver & about Safari is its niggling/common problems.

PS: Also due to a rather stiff back, good absorbent ride quality is a priority. Actually only for the front seats, the ride should be good because I'll not be using the back seats much.
hi bhp1, considering your stiff back, you should be buying the safari. but since you never use the rear seats, i would still advise you to buy the scorpio LX. the ride in the front seats of the scorpio is good.
yes, you will have to live with the limited legroom in the scorpio but thats easier to deal with when compared to the issues the safari gives. however, the safari has slightly better front seats compared to my older scorpio's seats. i heard that mahindra has changed the scorpio's seats in the new scorpio refresh, do have a look at that too.
Old 11th April 2009, 11:10   #134
BANNED

Thanks Raj, yes this is precisely what I wanted to know.
My only concern is the ride quality experienced in the front seats, I shall be using the rear seats seldom!
Is the ride quality in M-Hawk improved over the earlier CRDE Scorpio's?

You are right, after reading numerous issues about the Safari, it doesn't seem to be an intelligent buy!

But I don't know what's the issue with consumers in Punjab, Safari is outselling Scorpio!
When asked, a common answer among them is, "who wants to be stopped at every checkpoint"! Taxi image I guess!
Old 11th April 2009, 11:37   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Raj, yes this is precisely what I wanted to know.
My only concern is the ride quality experienced in the front seats, I shall be using the rear seats seldom!
Is the ride quality in M-Hawk improved over the earlier CRDE Scorpio's?

You are right, after reading numerous issues about the Safari, it doesn't seem to be an intelligent buy!

But I don't know what's the issue with consumers in Punjab, Safari is outselling Scorpio!
When asked, a common answer among them is, "who wants to be stopped at every checkpoint"! Taxi image I guess!
yes, the CRDe had some pitching & bobbing, maybe because of the heavy engine. since the mHawk is lighter, its possible that mahindra could have stiffened the springs. the mHawk does not pitch as the older scorpios and its front end does not dive under hard braking. the difference is noticeable.
yes, punjab is the only state where safari outsells scorpio. i have never been to punjab but as you said, maybe in punjab, scorpio has this taxi image.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks