Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:46   #1
BANNED

Comfortable High Miler

Hi guys, I own a variety of cars across segments & love driving, I guess like most on the forum. My driving is mostly in the City & occasional highways, but the problem is that I have a stiff back & roads in the City are in bad condition. On most of the cars I drive, I'm rattled thoroughly & end up having a sore back & not a pleasurable experience.
Please suggest me car which is comfortable & efficient ie. a "comfortable high miler". Diesel car would be an ideal choice & my budget is highly variable, stretches from 5-15L ! Funny but true!
Basically I want a car in which one can drive leisurely, not get shaken & stirred, remain fresh & delivers high efficiency, I guess Im not asking too much here! But assuming that now there are plenty of models in the market, finding a suitable car should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance guys, looking forward to your valued views & suggestions.
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

If you are okay with a SUV, the Safari is a good option. Very comfortable ride, and excellent lumbar support too.
The EX version with height adjustible seat is great.

If you are looking for cars, check out the cars with high seating and softer suspension, as more than handling, comfort is the top priority.
Optra diesel is a good option too comfort wise, but with the current uncertainty about GM, its best to wait and watch how does the company do in the near future
Old 23rd November 2008, 22:54   #3
BANNED

Thanks Tsk, its evident from your Avatar, that you know a lot about Safari.
SUV/MUV, is actually not a problem, but just that it would not give the mileage Im expecting. Btw, is Safari more comfortable than Scorpio/Bolero?
I have checked cars with high seating, but irony is that their suspension is not soft, rather its hard to aid handling.
Optra is a good car & I considered it at some point of time, but a GM product & that too having Daewoo DNA, puts me off & seating in the car is low.
Also, learned in other threads that a new Optra is due next year, so this one is out of contention for me.
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried the Indigo Marina and the Logan? Both of them have pretty decent rides, and irons out most of the bumps on the road.

Whichever ride you do end up choosing, do let us know. Its interesting to see which car makes it to your garage in the light of such a generous budget.
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:06   #5
BANNED

@Lalvaz, thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I've tried Indigo Marina earlier, but did not find it comfortable compared to modern cars. Its interiors are unergonomic to start with.
Logan sure has a good ride, but thing is I am an auto enthusiast & won't be able to high mile the Logan, which suffers from image issues!

Sure I would share my decision foremost with the forum that helps me in deciding!
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:19   #6
BHPian

I think Sonata Embrera fits your requirements quite nicely

+ve Good comfortable ride, diesel, low maintainence
-ve Resale, Badge

You can also consider

Fiat Linea (to be avalaible very soon) - Good all out feature rich car. Though the ride might be a bit firm.

Then there are the usual suspects - Scorpio MHawk, Skoda Octavia/Laura and Toyota Innova

Have you considered a used Optra? - One of the best back benches and they can be had at good bargains. What you save can be technically used to fund ur 'petrol' bills. I woudn't worry about GM closing shop anytime soon.

Elito
Old 24th November 2008, 00:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Safari is more comfortable than the Scorpio, and has pretty soft suspension. Soaks up the bumps very well, and most auto magazines give top notch rating to its ride quality. It will give you around 11kpl in city and 14kpl in highway As Elito suggested, the Embera is also a very good option. Soft suspension and extremely comfortable seats. Adequate power and better mileage than the safari.
But then it will cost 6L more than the safari.

The best way to decide is take a TD of the Safari, as well as TD of the Embera Crdi, and then decide.
Old 24th November 2008, 00:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Please suggest me car which is comfortable & efficient ie. a "comfortable high miler". Diesel car would be an ideal choice & my budget is highly variable, stretches from 5-15L ! Funny but true!
Basically I want a car in which one can drive leisurely, not get shaken & stirred, remain fresh & delivers high efficiency, I guess Im not asking too much here! But assuming that now there are plenty of models in the market, finding a suitable car should not be a problem.
It almost sounds like an advert for Innova . Are you considering it ?
Old 24th November 2008, 10:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

I agree with hondadude, innova is your best bet, do test drive it.
Old 24th November 2008, 10:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

My bro-in-law has a "weak" back and he has been very happy with his 2002 Qualis - but only on the front seat. Innova's improved rear suspension took out the problem that Qualis had of very stiff rear suspension. As hondadude (contrary to his nick is recommending a Tiyota) said it is indeed looking like an ad for Innova.
Old 24th November 2008, 10:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ bhp1: nothing suits you as well as an innova does! yes, its not the most fun car to drive but then thats not what you are lookign for!
its very spacious, much more comfortable than the safari or scorpio, has luxurious interiors and most importantly, its a toyota! brand counts.
fuel efficiency is marginally better in the safari and scorpio though, still i would recommend you the innova.
since you dont prefer a GM product, i dont think you will go for a optra magnum, but it is absolutely fun to drive, has comfortable interiors (not the best though), very good ride and diesel economy as well. it fits your bill too.
Old 24th November 2008, 11:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
As hondadude (contrary to his nick is recommending a Tiyota) said it is indeed looking like an ad for Innova.
OT: The nick was out of my love for my OHC Vtec and not loyalty for Honda brand as such .
Old 25th November 2008, 21:56   #13
BHPian

Well, if i were you then i would have surely gone for Skoda Octavia or Laura as these are the best cars with great mileage. So, i'll suggest you these two tanks like cars.
Old 26th November 2008, 23:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Here is my list of cars between 5-15 lacs ( from least to maximum )

Getz Diesel ( Torque and Small Rocket )
Verna Diesel ( Sedan with a great Engine )
Innova ( MUV - but perfect - wait for its upgraded version - expected anytime )
Skoda Ocatvia - Outdated but tank like built never the less.
Skoda Laura Ambiente - 15 Lacs or so. Best car I feel.
Jetta Diesel - should be around Laura. Again a good Car.

Cheers !!
Old 28th November 2008, 16:59   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
I think Sonata Embrera fits your requirements quite nicely
Fiat Linea (to be avalaible very soon) - Good all out feature rich car. Though the ride might be a bit firm.
Then there are the usual suspects - Scorpio MHawk, Skoda Octavia/Laura and Toyota Innova
Have you considered a used Optra? - One of the best back benches and they can be had at good bargains. What you save can be technically used to fund ur 'petrol' bills. I woudn't worry about GM closing shop anytime soon. Elito
Thanks Eliot, Sonata is not a part of my wishlist. I've never liked the car from the word go & don't want be be stuck with a flop car. Though it does have good ride, but -ves are abound!
Yes Linea is under consideration & as most of the Fiats, should have good Ride & handling package, but will have to wait before it is finally launched.
Optra due to its low stance & GM/Daewoo factor is also out of my wishlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Safari is more comfortable than the Scorpio, and has pretty soft suspension. Soaks up the bumps very well, and most auto magazines give top notch rating to its ride quality. It will give you around 11kpl in city and 14kpl in highway As Elito suggested, the Embera is also a very good option. Soft suspension and extremely comfortable seats. Adequate power and better mileage than the safari.
But then it will cost 6L more than the safari..
Thanks, now Im seriously considering the Safari as it is almost confirmed that it has superior ride compared to Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
It almost sounds like an advert for Innova . Are you considering it ?
Thanks. Already own an Innova & must stress that though it is comfortable otherwise, but does not ride well over broken roads/potholes at slow City speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I agree with hondadude, innova is your best bet, do test drive it.
Thanks. Nope, I don't enjoy its ride quality at slow speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
My bro-in-law has a "weak" back and he has been very happy with his 2002 Qualis - but only on the front seat. Innova's improved rear suspension took out the problem that Qualis had of very stiff rear suspension. As hondadude (contrary to his nick is recommending a Tiyota) said it is indeed looking like an ad for Innova.
Thanks, but I think a lot of people think Innova has good ride, please try it out at alow speeds, it really rattles the occupents, the suspension is not very compliant & absorbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ bhp1: nothing suits you as well as an innova does! yes, its not the most fun car to drive but then thats not what you are lookign for!
its very spacious, much more comfortable than the safari or scorpio, has luxurious interiors and most importantly, its a toyota! brand counts.
fuel efficiency is marginally better in the safari and scorpio though, still i would recommend you the innova.
since you dont prefer a GM product, i dont think you will go for a optra magnum, but it is absolutely fun to drive, has comfortable interiors (not the best though), very good ride and diesel economy as well. it fits your bill too.
Thanks, another Innova recommendation! Sir, I own it & don't find it supremely comfortable, rather I test drove the Safari on TSK's advice & must say it rode much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
OT: The nick was out of my love for my OHC Vtec and not loyalty for Honda brand as such .
Thanks, I also own Hondas, but they are low & ride quality is not great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDevil View Post
Well, if i were you then i would have surely gone for Skoda Octavia or Laura as these are the best cars with great mileage. So, i'll suggest you these two tanks like cars.
Thanks, yes this seems to be a good suggestion, Octy's ride is good but I've heard that Laura does'nt ride that well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Here is my list of cars between 5-15 lacs ( from least to maximum )

Getz Diesel ( Torque and Small Rocket )
Verna Diesel ( Sedan with a great Engine )
Innova ( MUV - but perfect - wait for its upgraded version - expected anytime )
Skoda Ocatvia - Outdated but tank like built never the less.
Skoda Laura Ambiente - 15 Lacs or so. Best car I feel.
Jetta Diesel - should be around Laura. Again a good Car.

Cheers !!
Thanks, cool list! That almost pin points cars across categories.
Getz- test drove the car & did not find comfortable enough, old too.
Verna- good car, but ride is not its strong points.
Jetta- ???? Very few sales!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks