Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 14:34   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

10 lakh budget. New car, used car or wait and increase budget?

Now, this is my dilemma.

Currently i have a 10 lakh rupee budget for buying a car. Can't stretch my budget. i need a performance oriented car (not crazy performance, but a self driven driver friendly car). I drive around 150 kilometers a week and don't care about diesel or petrol cost or supreme comfort. I do need an automatic though. i normally keep my car for 5-6years before selling it. I have a type 2 1.5 OHC and love it's performance and handling. So i need a car that does significantly better than that. i don't like to buy a car on loan or emi. I won't spend money that i don't have.

These are my options:

1) Buy an ANHC auto. But apparently not very great on performance. I so not looking forward to it but still an option. Will linea be offered in auto and will it be significantly better than OHC?

2) Buy a second hand seventh gen accord ( i know handling not very great, but i'm not into crazy cornering and all) or laura or superb. Any other car you can suggest in this category, i'm open with it. For some reason, i don't like civic or corolla so no to those. i'm a little skeptical about skoda service but open to suggestions. Honda service is great and i know linkway honda owner well, so that's a benefit. I don't want to buy a used car which is more than 3-4years old. So i don't know if these will fit in my budget as well. I'll ofcourse check reliability, service history, etc before buying a used car.

3) I can double my budget if i wait for another year and a half. So should i do that and widen my scope for cars? Also more cars will launch by then hopefully. Any idea which cars?

4) i need to sell my OHC cause i'm getting a good value now and don't know how much i'll get after a year. Buyers are waiting but i have told them i'll give it to them only after i get another car. Another option is that sell the OHC, buy a older sixth gen auto accord for 3.5lakhs and then wait for a year and a half to get another car.

5) Should i just sell the OHC, drive my santro and put the 2.5lakhs i'm getting for the OHC in my car fund and wait?
Old 9th December 2008, 15:00   #2
BHPian

Tejas, I have been in a similar dilemma like yours, with a budget of 6 to 9 lacs or so. I am looking for a comfortable good vehicle, with high level of refinement et al.

I have test driven a lot of cars of late. From Honda CRVs (used), Endeavor (used), Swift (Petrol & Diesel) - new, Civic (new), Corolla Altis (new), New Honda City (new), SX4 (new), Used Sonata, Ford Fiesta (new).

I currently drive a Wagon R and sometimes a Swift Petrol - but so far I am tending to a used 2005 CRV. I have not found others to match up to my expectations. Yes, it has the Accord engine. I have not test driven or considered the Accord as it is much too long for my town roads.

Have not considered the Scorpio or Safari as yet. I find the fit and finish very ordinary.

Have you had any initial leanings so far? I suggest you TD as many vehicles as you can shortlist and it will help you form impressions and zero in on the car you would like to own.

Last edited by johy : 9th December 2008 at 15:10.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Have you had any initial leanings so far? I suggest you TD as many vehicles as you can shortlist and it will help you form impressions and zero in on the car you would like to own.
I need an automatic and that's limiting my options!

Frankly i'm leaning towards a used accord or a diesel superb which someone has offered me for 10.5lakhs with 20K on the odo.

Will the newer used CRV come within my price range? i don't think so.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:09   #4
BHPian

Not the new one, but an old one (2005, 2006) will fit very well. A new one will be in the 13-14 league.

BTW, I am beginning to like the automatics as well!

TD both cars extensively - and pick the one you really like. I think I would go for the Accord. Skoda's service scares me.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Not the new one, but an old one (2005, 2006) will fit very well. A new one will be in the 13-14 league.

BTW, I am beginning to like the automatics as well!

TD both cars extensively - and pick the one you really like. I think I would go for the Accord. Skoda's service scares me.
thanks. I'm trying to find a used V6 that fits in my budget.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

You might want to check out following threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...to-option.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...r-15-lacs.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...8-11-lakh.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...akh-range.html
Old 9th December 2008, 15:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. I did check a few of the above before starting this thread. Problem is that i need a car which has a significant performance boost than my OHC (i think fiesta, SX4, magnum and all are not that significantly better) and i need an automatic.

Also these threads are about new cars, i don't mind used ones as well.
Old 14th November 2013, 22:18   #8

New Vs Pre-Owned Car? Below 12L

Hi,

Having gone through quite a few posts I have finally raked up the courage to put up this question to fellow Team BHPians (and of course membership being approved today )

I was planning to buy a sedan in the lines of city/verna/vento/sunny etc or an SUV in the lines of Safari Storme/Duster/Yeti - I know quite a varied list and that itself shows how confused I am.

Anyway after a lot of research, planning, TDs etc finally I shortlisted Vento Highline, Skoda Rapid, New Ford Fiesta and Verna in that order. Liked Linea but not an option due service issues.

And now I had to get confused with a brilliant idea that why not go for a Pre-Owned Audi A4/BMW 3 series. Both within my budget of <12L in the 2006-08 vintage.

So what do you suggest, go for a new car or try my luck with a pre-owned dream car?

My requirements :
a) Comfort - Esp seat adjustments (I am 6ft, my wife 5'2")
b) Easy to drive - My wife will be the primary user though I am the weekend chauffeur
c) Build Quality
d) Low Maintenance (Very)
e) Handling
g) Power/Response - for city driving
h) Mileage (who in India wouldn't want that!)

Resale is not an issue since I believe is using the car till it drops. Petrol or Diesel both are fine. Till now we had an average usage of 1500km a month which will drop to 400-500km a month with the occasional long drives once a couple of months.

Of the new cars, I read through the post of .anshuman about diesel car ~ 10L which only confused me more. As I said, I (We) liked the Vento the most during my TDs. So help me out TBHPians - New or Pre-Owned.

Thanks.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Vs Pre-Owned Car? Below 12L

This thought keeps coming to me as well, especially after reading GTO's pre-worshipped article! I think its certainly worth a look around to see what options do you get? Do consider the maintenance aspects as well.

But 12L is too less for the german makes I thought - you may not get a decent (non/less abused) one. Instead, why dont you consider a used Toyota/Honda? A 3-4 yr old Accord makes a lot of sense actually, if your running is limited and it should come for around that price.
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 08:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Remember that the spare part costs are still that of a 30-40l car I would not suggest going in for any of the Germans.
Tha A4 is lackluster and the 3 will be from a generation ago without warranty on parts.

Simply buy the new Fiesta for its brilliant dynamics and take comfort in the fact that 10 years or so down the line when it comes to replacing some one of your cars, these Germans might be a little more localized making them more sensible options
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 08:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpraveenkr View Post
- New or Pre-Owned.
IMHO, you should opt for a new Petrol sedan. Amongst the shortlisted ones, I would suggest go for the Verna. If you are OK with the "not so good rear bench" of new Fiesta, I would have suggest that too. The extra amount paid for a new car would be far more better than paying an equal amount on repairing of used car.

BTW have you TD the new Vento TSI?
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 09:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Having gone through quite a few posts I have finally raked up the courage to put up this question to fellow Team BHPians (and of course membership being approved today )

I was planning to buy a sedan in the lines of city/verna/vento/sunny etc or an SUV in the lines of Safari Storme/Duster/Yeti - I know quite a varied list and that itself shows how confused I am.
A4/3 series/C class may be found at lucrative prices, but the maintenance will cost you a bomb.

Pre-owned Accord/ Old Gen Camry.

In new cars, Linea Tjet is a fantastic buy, Bangalore has very decent service from FIAT, touch base with Karthikk, he has a Linea and a Punto.

Vento Tsi is also an option.

Diesel cars - Vento TDi/ Rapid Tdi.

Let us know if you are looking at the likes of Duster and Ecosport.

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2013 at 16:25. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 09:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey please let go off the idea of buying a 6-7 year old pre owned BMW or anyother luxury segment car if you are looking at " very low maintenance costs". These cars would rake up huge service bills no doubt.

Now coming to your what car query: If you are willing to go for a used car then I think you should choose a car from the D segment i.e. Altis/Civic/Cruze/Octavia/Jetta. You will find relatively newer cars in your budget which transforms into a more stress free ownership experience.

If you want to buy an SUV/Crossover vehicle then may I suggest you look at used Outlander or a Honda CRV. Both vehicles are gem to drive but depreciate like anything and you will easily find a buyer willing to sell due to the high petrol costs.

If you decide new, then my choice out of the cars you listed will be the Vento.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 09:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

d) Low Maintenance (Very)

Thanks.
Since low maintenance is a requirement for you, the option of audi or BMW or merc is ruled out.
I suggest that you should go for Vento or upcoming Honda city.

Incase of used car, Corolla will give total peace of mind, Laura/Civic/Jetta will make you grin, while old cruze will frustrate you.
Word of caution while buying from used car market : most cars are out of warranty period and it's a huge gamble.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 09:52   #15
E63
BANNED

May I suggest you to take the middle path and go for a pre-worshipped Superb TFSI instead.

All the car you'll ever need.
E63 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks