Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 22:14   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Vs Pre-Owned Car? Below 12L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpraveenkr View Post
Why not a used Camry. Given Toyota's reliability, should's used Camry be a good deal.

BTW I found a 2008 Camry in Bangalore, run 70k, asking price 9.5L, will come with a 1 year warranty from Nandi Toyota dealer. Is the price ok or too high?
Do you really need a D+ segment car? They might fit your budget but would be cumbersome to drive in everyday Bangalore traffic and FE would be a downer. Also the Camry in particular will have slightly expensive spares.

I am never comfortable buying a used car that has run more than 30-40k kms maximum. Afterall they are machines even if they come with Honda/Toyota tag and are subject to wear and tear on our non existent roads. So I would rather pick up a used Altis for 9.5L having done a lot less number of kms than a used Camry done 70k kms.

Just for your reference the amount I have spent on my Altis till now is:
1st service/10k kms: Rs 1700
2nd service/20k kms: Rs 4100
3rd service/30k kms: Rs 4800 ( 1st paid service hence labour cost added up).
And this is for the diesel variant. The Petrol Altis (since your running is less) should have even more lesser maintenance costs.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 22:49   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: 10 lakh budget. New car, used car or wait and increase budget?

Check out carwale - someone put up a beautiful accord for sale and you can save 50K right away. Bargain and get it under 11L and be happy

Corolla - top end auto's are available around 10 Lakhs too.

Anyday one of these over a (new/old) VAG car..
Old 16th November 2013, 09:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

The new Honda City is coming out isn't it? Just wait for that. The old one might be obsolete right now but everytime a new one is launched, it seems to stay ahead of the rest of the segment for years and years. Kinda like the S-class of its segment
Good after sales service
Cheap to maintain
Good resale value
It is a safe bet that no one can blame you for
Old 17th November 2013, 10:51   #34
Team-BHP Support

Since you are on a transferrable job, check out Ford option as well. The Fiesta AT is loaded. May be Vento TSI would be better, I think Ford may have better service penetration. And the dual clutch AT of Ford is by no means bad. Of course I hope you have a major requirements for a back seat. Why is that you need a diesel if running is low?

Last edited by ampere : 17th November 2013 at 10:52.
Old 17th November 2013, 11:26   #35
BHPian

I have the same dilemma, and add to that the car that I have chosen is one difficult species to find.

You can also try looking for a Cruze, would come within your budget if diesel and power both are your requirements. I am not sure about the maintenance though.
Old 17th November 2013, 13:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since you are on a transferrable job, check out Ford option as well. The Fiesta AT is loaded. May be Vento TSI would be better, I think Ford may have better service penetration. And the dual clutch AT of Ford is by no means bad. Of course I hope you have a major requirements for a back seat. Why is that you need a diesel if running is low?
Diesel is not a must have. Just that in the car that I liked (i.e. Vento) the diesel version seems to be better. In Verna, petrol was better. Didn't get to TD the Vento TSI with the DSG though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post
I have the same dilemma, and add to that the car that I have chosen is one difficult species to find.

You can also try looking for a Cruze, would come within your budget if diesel and power both are your requirements. I am not sure about the maintenance though.
In both Ford and Cruze, the rear seat comfort when I sit is not as good as compared to Vento/Verna. In Cruze I barely fit in into the rear seat with my head practically being tilted forward to fit in.

Actually, I started my TD research with the new Fiesta, Moved on to Ecosport, City, Scala, Duster, Safari, Yeti, Rapid, Vento, Verna, Manza, Cruze. I missed the toyota stable entirely since Altis was out of budget.

It is just that after all this, I liked the simplicity of the Vento's design, inside and outside. That being so, my wife also liked it About engines, power, reliability etc etc well, I just don't know that much to make an informed decision. It is also true that most times I follow my heart than the head which is the reason for me to begin the thread (German Pre-Own vs New).
Old 17th November 2013, 17:37   #37
BHPian

Re: New Vs Pre-Owned Car? Below 12L

Quote:
Why not a used Camry. Given Toyota's reliability, should's used Camry be a good deal.

BTW I found a 2008 Camry in Bangalore, run 70k, asking price 9.5L, will come with a 1 year warranty from Nandi Toyota dealer. Is the price ok or too high?
Hi kpraveenkr, I have a used Camry 2006 model which I bought 5 months back from Nandi Toyota used cars, ran ~61k when I bought and have run it only about 1000 kms. since I bought it. I did do a lot of rationalization and comparison while I bought it - and it came up well in many factors including reliability/durability/having all bells and whistles, etc. The car is in great condition. However have not been able to use this much (as obvious from my mileage) - not finding it too pleasant for day to day commute to office in Bangalore. The only time I really enjoyed the car was on a drive to Mangalore (the car is bliss on highways and emptier roads). Everyday I drive to work on this, I wonder how folks enjoy self-driving the even bigger Audis and similar cars in Bangalore on a day to day basis to go to work and back - because of the traffic and the roads. (I find my Xylo to be more nimble, or probably just more suited to my driving style within city....I also have to be much more careful driving over humps/speed-breakers/broken Bangalore roads on the Camry than on the Xylo). Now toying with the idea of selling this back to Nandi Toyota and buying a more manoeuverable car - I now dream of the manoeuverability offered by cars like Eeco/Versa. If having this car interests you and if you want to have a test drive of this Camry, please pm me.
manij is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 21:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post

...However have not been able to use this much (as obvious from my mileage) - not finding it too pleasant for day to day commute to office in Bangalore. The only time I really enjoyed the car was on a drive to Mangalore (the car is bliss on highways and emptier roads). Everyday I drive to work on this, I wonder how folks enjoy self-driving the even bigger Audis and similar cars in Bangalore on a day to day basis to go to work and back - because of the traffic and the roads. (I find my Xylo to be more nimble, or probably just more suited to my driving style within city....I also have to be much more careful driving over humps/speed-breakers/broken Bangalore roads on the Camry than on the Xylo). Now toying with the idea of selling this back to Nandi Toyota and buying a more manoeuverable car - I now dream of the manoeuverability offered by cars like Eeco/Versa.
I too echo your thoughts and really appreciate the openness regarding the Camry ownership feedback. Helps in decision making for potential higher segment lateral upgrade buyers like Praveen, self et al.
Old 19th November 2013, 17:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
Hi kpraveenkr,........If having this car interests you and if you want to have a test drive of this Camry, please pm me.
Thanks for this honest feedback. Since my wife is going to be the primary user and that too in the city, I guess it is better that I go for the original choice i.e. a new Vento TDI.
Old 19th November 2013, 19:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this honest feedback. Since my wife is going to be the primary user and that too in the city, I guess it is better that I go for the original choice i.e. a new Vento TDI.
Did you check out any used Altis? Also what about the Honda city AT? Since your running is low, AT makes most sense. The Vento TDI sounds good but did your wife appreciate all that extra diesel engine noise? Also a diesel would be more strenuous to drive compared to a Petrol.
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:52   #41

Booked!

At the onset, thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions.

I have finally booked the Vento Highline TDI. The paperwork will take some time. Once I take the delivery, will put up the details.

Drive Safe.
Old 28th February 2014, 20:07   #42
BHPian

USED!! D Segment entry level luxury with 10-12L Budget

Hey fellows need your advice, after selling off my 2011 Beat LT Petrol and one of my superbikes I am in search of a D segment entry level luxury car with a budget of 10-12L. Please help me with your suggestions.
What I am looking for is best possible rear seat comfort for family, AT transmission so that father and wifey can ride too in my absence as I work abroad on monthly rotation basis. Would prefer a less run say <15K kms and doesn't matter with the type of fuel petrol or diesel and should return a decent mileage (kmpl) and affordable upkeep costs.
Whats on my mind? Accord or the Superb, but confused.
Old 28th February 2014, 21:18   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: USED!! D Segment entry level luxury with 10-12L Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Accord or the Superb, but confused.
Out of these 2 Superb wins (loaded with features, more comfortable rear seat)
Old 28th February 2014, 22:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: USED!! D Segment entry level luxury with 10-12L Budget

Honestly, I have questions about both your choice. The Honda is a good option, but I'm unsure you'd be able to find one at that price with those many kilometers on the clock. Other than that, it's a good choice. The issue with the Superb is that you well might find one, but it will be the Petrol AT which has a dodgy gearbox. I'd steer clear of it.

Here's what I'd do if I were you. I'd stretch your budget slightly, because several good options can be had that suit your needs. Think about the Fluence, it has good comfort levels and great ride quality. The question marks that surround it are about service levels, since it hasn't been around too long. I don't know its price, but the Toyota Corolla Altis is getting a new generation that looks promising, and it looks perfect for you. Service costs and standards will be fantastic, it will be reliable and it will be a brand new generation of the Altis that will remain fresh for years to come.

Maybe if you find a very sparely used Civic, it could fit the bill, but it's been discontinued and I wouldn't go looking for it. Good luck!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 02:41   #45
BHPian

Accord is easily available in the used car market. Loads of them floating around but within 20-30k run range. Actually i dont mind. The DSG bhoot is the main thing which is bothering me. 99% it would be the Accord. Any idea on the Teana?

Most Viewed