Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 12:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Bolero XDP Engine Vs Bolero DI Turbo VS CRDE

Call me Ishmael if you will but I finally bought a new CRDE after a decade of using the XDP. I love its zippy nature and it has removed the ole girl's inability to gallop, overtake without down shifting on highways, engine overheating and all so far. The real test will be when the summer hits 45, but so far my phat and tall tyres have made the ride really nice. On economy my fuel bill has been reduced by about Rs100 per week. I can now tank up for two weeks at a go. The plastic is lighter inside and the shocks and all are a lot better. But it does kinda give you a few extra shakes when going over pot holes and speed breakers, something that I had forgotten about in the old vehicle.

Chaunfa
Old 14th April 2011, 14:26   #17
BHPian

Re: Bolero XDP Engine Vs Bolero DI Turbo

Fuel economy i have seen on my DI is over 13 within city and around 15 to 16 on highways. On XDP i have heard numbers like 8 to 10 if i remember correctly.

Edit: Sorry, I missed Shankar Balan's statement regarding the same. Post can be deleted..

Last edited by G-BoleroBoy : 14th April 2011 at 14:28. Reason: Missed earlier post mentioning the same
Old 14th April 2011, 15:18   #18
BHPian

I have a Xd3p Bolero and am getting 10-12kmpl in city limits and on highways am getting close to 15kmpl driving @ 80kmph
Old 14th April 2011, 15:56   #19
BHPian

I have never got such a Fuel economy (beyond 11kmpl) in my 2000 Bolero XD3P. I get around 8-9kmpl in city and 10-11kmpl on highway with full time A/c (not hard on gas).
Old 14th July 2011, 15:33   #20
BANNED

Conversion of bolero XDP3 to DI Turbo

Dear friends,

My bolero XDP3 Engine + NGT 530 GB has served 2Lacs kms and think to replace with DI turbo + NGT 530 combination.

Earlier BA10 was scraped after 1.5L kms due hi meshing noise.

Please tell me the feasibility of conversion, or should i opt NGT520 only.

regards,
Rajith
Old 14th July 2011, 16:00   #21
BHPian

Re: Conversion of bolero XDP3 to DI Turbo

dear rajith sir,
i am waiting for the xd3p ngt52/30 combo - where will you throw it out ? jokes apart, seriously am looking for ngt520 gb for my mm540, and if i can get an xd3p also, am happier... pls pm me the throwaway location and time/date.
rather than di, better go for the crde engine + gb combo as it would make your bolero a silent but voilent performer.
regards.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:06   #22
BANNED

sir,
Iam having XDP3+ Ngt 530 combination now.Plan to have DI turbo planted, but doubt that NGT530 will be direct fit or not for DIT .NGT520 is a direct fit for DIT.
CRDE conversion is too tricky job due change in suspension,brakes,ECU etc.Surely will let you know reg the XDP3 & NGT530 removals.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
sir,
Iam having XDP3+ Ngt 530 combination now.Plan to have DI turbo planted, but doubt that NGT530 will be direct fit or not for DIT .NGT520 is a direct fit for DIT.
CRDE conversion is too tricky job due change in suspension,brakes,ECU etc.Surely will let you know reg the XDP3 & NGT530 removals.
NGT530 + MDI TC is not a direct fit. If you have XD3P, rebuild it to proper specs. A XD3P with 5 speed GB is a great vehicle to have (offroad / on road). Why do you want to do all this?

Spike
Old 14th July 2011, 17:18   #24
BANNED

Spike - Current xdp3 engine has been rebuilt twice and run @ 4L kms in total, am i tired with delicate behaviour and freeze cold start of this engine.

I dont want to scrap this bolero 2wd as its built quality is the best.If you compare with current productions.

No rusting, solid body and suspensions,paints still look brand new, Excellent braking,Good dash boards/clusters and so on & on.

I am having a good set of people and machines to carry out this task at coimbatore.

Help me to mate DIT + NGT530..

South India Motors
Old 14th July 2011, 19:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
I am having a good set of people and machines to carry out this task at coimbatore.
Then why do you think twice?

The NGT530 has a longer tunnel casing and hence different T/M mounting points, 520 has a shorter span. So the chassis cross member position IIRC will also change -- propeller shaft will change etc. I would advice you to pick up a NEF Engine CRDe / Non CRDe (Chain drive type) rather than going for MDI. BTW what exactly is your requirement?

Spike
Old 15th July 2011, 09:57   #26
BANNED

[advice you to pick up a NEF Engine CRDe / Non CRDe (Chain drive type) rather than going for MDI. BTW what exactly is your requirement?

Spike[/quote]

Will current chasis,suspension,Break set up of this BOLERO GLX will withstand NEF Engine CRDe/Non CRDe engines??

My requirement is to maintain this bolero with faster/smarter/rugged engine than the current one with lesser complications.

awaiting your thoughts.
Old 15th July 2011, 10:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Chassis is same, Suspension very similar, Brakes you will have to upgrade; have solution for that also, if required will share details on what to do with brakes (all OE parts can be used).

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 10:22   #28
BANNED

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Chassis is same, Suspension very similar, Brakes you will have to upgrade; have solution for that also, if required will share details on what to do with brakes (all OE parts can be used).

Spike
Good news.Then Which engine will be the best suit for performance and cost wise for this conversion?

Hope i can use same NGT530 w/o any chasis/cross member alterations.

Please give me the details for brake coversions,so that i can start
budgeting.

Is the weight of XDP3/DIT/NEF Engine CRDe / Non CRDe (Chain drive type) are near by?.
Old 22nd December 2012, 19:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

What is this thing in the MM550 XDP3U engine - this engine oil being pumped in the alternator for break assist power ? Can someone explain this please. I noticed this unique thing when I noticed oil leak from the alternator, the mechanic changed the tubing first but actually it was the seal.
Old 22nd December 2012, 19:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
What is this thing in the MM550 XDP3U engine - this engine oil being pumped in the alternator for break assist power ? Can someone explain this please. I noticed this unique thing when I noticed oil leak from the alternator, the mechanic changed the tubing first but actually it was the seal.
It is the Vacuum Pump. Power breaks need vacuum to operate which is created by this vacuum pump mounted on the back of the alternator and driven by alternator shaft. The oil lines are connected to the pump to keep it lubricated. Usually when the oil seal gives up, you see this oil leak on the back of the alternator. This vacuum pump is not specific to this engine, all vehicles fitted with power breaks need vacuum and so they use this kind of alternators.

If you have observed, the breaks do not operate or difficult when the engine is not running, that is because the vacuum is not being created to operate the power breaks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks