Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 16:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Conversion of bolero XDP3 to DI Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Dear friends,

My bolero XDP3 Engine + NGT 530 GB has served 2Lacs kms and think to replace with DI turbo + NGT 530 combination.

Earlier BA10 was scraped after 1.5L kms due hi meshing noise.

Please tell me the feasibility of conversion, or should i opt NGT520 only.

regards,
Rajith
Sir,

Was the NGT530 a direct fit to the XD3P engine or did you make use of a adapter plate. Please post a under chassis pic of the combo and the changes like cross-member relocation, propeller shaft length(+/-) etc. Also what is your differential ratio.

Regards,

Chengappa.
Old 14th March 2013, 17:14   #32
BANNED

Re: Conversion of bolero XDP3 to DI Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timson View Post
Sir,

Was the NGT530 a direct fit to the XD3P engine or did you make use of a adapter plate. Please post a under chassis pic of the combo and the changes like cross-member relocation, propeller shaft length(+/-) etc. Also what is your differential ratio.

Regards,

Chengappa.
Hi,
No need of any adapter plate, also no change in under pinnings,cross member, P shaft.Its just direct fit. Even BA10 can be converted to NGT530 using the OE kit available with M&M.
diff ratio is 4.88
Rajith
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 16:18   #33
BHPian

Re: Bolero XDP Engine Vs Bolero DI Turbo

@Rajith

Good to know that it's an bolt on job. I remember jeep guru Arka coating that BA10 was the predecessor of NGT GB series.

Regards,

Chengappa.
Old 15th March 2013, 20:42   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I would vote for the late 1990's Peugeot XD3P engine from among the two choices.
The plus points for the DI are that it passes the BS III and now BS IV norms, delivers a greater fuel economy and has also played a major role in propelling the Bolero sales to the Top 10 in 2011 and now since 2012 to the Top 5 Best selling cars in India. Mahindra with its MUV's and UV's could have never ever entered the Top 5, but the myth of the market pundits has been shattered now and proved wrong.
I have used a 1999 Bolero 4 X 4 (it was considered a luxury MUV then) for very long distance drives, cruising the highways, both National and State, cart tracks and no roads in parts of rural India and found it to be an excellent workhorse. It was a pleasure to drive, the NVH levels being quite acceptable by the then standards. The solid body and ladder frame chassis never faltered on the rough terrains and other than diesel and lubricants, the running expenses were minimal. The engine can do 80-90kmph all day long, with the bare minimum halts. The radial tyres as OE made it even more driveable. The interior plastics though are quite cheap looking, even looking cheaper than the Tata Ace dash plastic.The dash design is quite archaic. Even a RPM meter is not provided, though even the Esteem, Cielo and some other cars came with one then and wow! The Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 of the late 1980's came with one. M&M could have done a better job. Even today's Boleros have outdated dash designs that look rudimentary.
Used to the earlier 540 DP ( 2112 cc/ 65 bhp ) soft-tops, this Bolero with the XD3P was a real change for me.
The engine is a silent performer and so also the slick gear box. The ground clearance does add to some woes while off-roading. Even the 540DP soft tops were a bit more delicate as far as the ground clearance was concerned, as the Kia BA10 gearbox made the UV nearer to the mother earth!
Nothing to beat the CJ3B, CJ4A (the older CJ 2 Series were still better but never offroaded by me) as far as 4X4 offroading is concerned- they are Kings of No Roads.
Back to the XD3P, I will always prefer this one, though it kept the Bolero ownership restricted, sales wise. The engine was discontinued owing to the pollution norms and the CRDe version, though made to order, makes the Bolero price reach the Scorpio M2Di range. So very few buyers go for it and that is why its made to order ! I wonder as to how many orders they get for the Bolero SLX variant ?
The DI reigns supreme today hence !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th March 2013 at 21:02.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:37   #35
BHPian

This may be a little off topic but I cannot find any thread that deals with my "problem".
I have a 750DP 105 Commander ST. Have had it from 1997 [ it was a 95 model bought second hand with around 12k KMS] Have covered over 2L kms till date and have overhauled the engine twice. Since the last overhaul it has covered around 95k KMS and the engine is now showing signs of wear and tear again. I intend to do a heart transplant and go in for the DI turbo engine and the 5 speed GB.[Already bought a 2011 engine that has done just 20K KMS]and intend to upgrade the front axle to the pick up one with disc brakes and replace the Diff with the pickup gearing. would like to hear from anyone who has done a similar conversion. If there is anyone as stupid and as sentimental as I am!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks