Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Got my AC serviced yesterday and while I was getting it done, a guy on a 4 days old i20 arrived and was really pissed about the A/C and its performance. Hyundai A$$ couldn't do much. I have asked him to join tbhp and share his experience with everyone.

P.S. Its hot as hell in Delhi with temperature hovering at around 45 degrees +. My Palio's A/C was just about adequate today.
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:47   #47
rbp
BHPian

Ah, the AC of i20, it has been a one of the biggest draw backs in i20, last week, I was in my wifes place Shimogga and it was very humid, the damm AC fails to cool even after keeping it at full blast for around 30 mins, which is unacceptable, while returning back to bangalore, I happened to switch on the AC and it was chilling me in just a few mins. I have come to one conclusion if it is hot and humid, the i20's AC is a big downer, if the weather outside is ok and less humid the AC works fine.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:14   #48
BHPian

Re: Swift Dzire or Hyundai i20 ???

Hi All,

I am also in same confusion as our other friend is. not able to decide on dzire or i20.

I have read all the reviews/statistics and come to know that both cars are equally good and its a matter of one's choice really.

however a small thing is bothering me that many have said that Hyundai I20 is "underpowered". How true is this?? can anyone please shed some more light on this factor?? if its not I will straight go and book i20 sports petrol.

It is also learned that new facelifted Swift and Jazz getting launched in August 2011. Will check them out but dont think they will be tempting enough to change my decision on i20, if its not underpowered....

so help me with your views....
Old 27th July 2011, 13:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashutosh View Post
however a small thing is bothering me that many have said that Hyundai I20 is "underpowered". How true is this?? can anyone please shed some more light on this factor?? if its not I will straight go and book i20 sports petrol.
Hey mate, I would suggest you to take an elaborate TD of the vehicle with 4 adults and AC on, both in the city and on highway. Try inclines, try overtaking,... in your regular driving style. If you do not find it too underpowered, it isn't! No amount of research will tell you what's right for you. Still, there is enough information available on this in ownership reveiws on this forum. This incidentally is one of the major reasons why I did not go for i20, when I was looking for new car for myself. But that was me.

I also hope you are aware of other i20 concerns - inadequate AC and steering rattling issues. Not trying to scare you off, mentioning this so that you make your purchase with full knowledge and open eyes.

Cheers.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:32   #50
BHPian

I don't know why you shortlisted the two, and my experience says: Neither

My FIL has the Dezire. He had a lot of debate, test drives of all cars, Swift, i20, Etios and bought the Dezire ('You know its a big car with beige in it' - kind of)

Things I hate about this car: Handling. (Its no swift - I personally feel)
Had taken it for a short trip to Bylkuppe. 100 Kms of good roads and a few curves, and I felt that the steering was adamant, though direct, it does not want to turn, and pushes you back.
The back bounces a lot. The driver does not feel this, but even a small hump and the read passenger hits the roof.
Driver seat is very high for my liking and I feel like falling over, and when the seats are pushed back, we can only reach the steering, but not any other controls. (What pathetic design- when you have to bend down to reach the stereo and the hazard lights and you are belted up)
But the best part is the 5th gear cruise in the 80-120 range.

i20, excellent, but for its engine, rear seat comfort, and its pricing.
I dont feel this car has any USP, except for its looks and interior design.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:19   #51
BHPian

The i20 did come with a 6th gear for highway cruising but it does not any more. If you are open to a pre-owned car and can find the one with the 6-speed-gearbox, I'd say take it for the highway FE.

The Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire is a VFM car. It delivers the bang for the buck. The new Maruti Suzuki DZire CS is coming up next year and will be a bit cheaper, though with a smaller boot size. If you want something bigger, invest in a Maruti Suzuki SX4. It has decent looks and offers enough space for passengers and luggage. The Maruti diesels use the popular Fiat 1.3 litre diesel engine.
Old 13th October 2011, 13:20   #52

I did the i20 CRDi as well as the Swift ZDi TD (both latest models of Oct 2011)...

I Test drove them on inclined bridges, did some highway cruising, had a few U-turns, overtaking and a few speedy schicanes.... all that could help me take a call to buy one of them.

both are sea apart....

i20 scores far over Swift...

i20's interior is just awesome and incomparable... Swift is typical Maruti... it sucked.

i20 is faster and taking off form 0-60 is swoooooosh.... Swift is ok and not that exciting.

Swift's braking is the worst part of it.... i20 proves that why its is rated 5 star on safety... braking is just worldclass.

i20 is spacious. I am 6feet 3Inch tall. I was at ease driving both the vehicles.... Back seats of i20 are wider and lappy.. comfortable.

Inner console and steering controls along with bluetooth adaptability takes i20 to the luxury segment cars..... I woudn't mind paying 2 Lacs more for i20 than buying the clumzy Swift.

By the way.... i have booked i20 CRDi Sportz... Waiting is just 45-55 days... Whereas Swift ZDi will take 190 days to deliver...... No wonder why maruti workers are on strike.
Old 25th November 2011, 19:26   #53
BHPian

Hello BHPians,
I am in the process of purchasing a diesel car in the range of 6-7 lakhs approximately and i have i20 CRDi , new Swift DDiS and Dzire DDiS in my mind as the one in highest priority list.
I hope Hyundai i20 and Swift (as well as Dzire) owners will help me out in choosing the appropriate car for my kind of requirements.

Priorities :
- A good all rounded family car for a family of 4 (and occasional 5th passenger )
- Good diesel engine with strong performance, low NVH level and good economy.
- Durable build and quality interiors that should last for 6-7 years (the time period of ownership)
- Reliability and A.S.S. I expect the car to be trouble free and maintenance should not be too expensive either.
- Ride and handling should be par for the course. I am not expecting a racer boy machine but the car should have decent dynamics (and high speed stability) as well as easy city drive.
- Good boot space is an added advantage.

Hyundai i20 CRDi Magna (6.71 lakhs OTR)
+ Strong engine (Most powerful,NVH and good highway performer)
+ Quality inside out is very good. Space is good for 5.
+ Neutral nature of the car appeals almost everybody.
+ Easy controls for city drive. Doesn't feel like a heavy hatch to drive in city.

- Ineffective A/C and rattling steering as reported by the owners. (How big is this issue ? Is it acceptably so or unbearably high ?)
- Turbo lag of test drive vehicle needed little getting used to (Does it improve with time ?)
- The engine is imported and Hyundai's service is getting expensive. What about maintenance costs and availability of spares ?
- I am not very sure about high speed behavior of this car due limited experience. Is it safe and predictable for the power it generates ?

Dzire DDiS VDi (6.9 lakhs OTR)
+ Swift with a practical boot
+ Punchy DDiS engine with good economy
+ Super dependable car with great reliability
+ Maruti's service and maintenance advantage
+ Adequately comfortable and decent dynamics

- Awkward styling is difficult to digest
- Dzire CS based on new swift is due next year. The current swift might be discountined
- Interior and general quality is least impressive among the three.
- Waiting period

Swift DDiS VDi (6.5 lakhs OTR)
+ Improved interiors and NVH level.
+ Great engine, performance and economy
+ Ride and handling is entertaining. Drive is fun
+ Typical Maruti values.

- 5-6 months of waiting period for VDi version
- With the pricing it looks bit overpriced for what it offers.
- Relatively tight interiors and small boot.
- Braking issue as reported on L/V versions.

Few more comparisons :
- Which is a better engine overall ? 1.2 DDiS(Multijet) or 1.4 CRDi ? Driveablity,performance and NVH being the main criteria
- Which cars high speed behavior (for highway usage) is better ? i20 or Swift. I have limited experience with i20 while Swift is quite good on the wrong side of 100 kmph.

*I found this thread to be the appropriate one to post the query as the fundamental requirements look similar.

All the prices mentioned at On The Road,Odisha.
Old 25th November 2011, 21:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Hello BHPians,
- The engine is imported and Hyundai's service is getting expensive. What about maintenance costs and availability of spares ?
- I am not very sure about high speed behavior of this car due limited experience. Is it safe and predictable for the power it generates ?
When i enquired about service the approx bill per 5k km comes to around 4-5k, quite expensive must say. Our octavia comes to about 12k when serviced at 15k km once a year.

I drove my cousins i20 over a 100km single-lane highway to find out all about the 'handling' of the car and i'll just say if you're coming from a car which is known to be a good/decent handler you'll be disappointed. A sharp maneuver will unsettle the car and make you nervous. Though i found the straight-line stability nothing to complain about. Was steady even at speeds upto 120kmph, i certainly liked it.

In short, if your drive involves negotiating a lot of corners you may be disappointed, else you'll be a happy customer

Last edited by shashank.nk : 25th November 2011 at 21:21.
Old 25th November 2011, 21:45   #55
BHPian

I am not expecting it to be anything like a Skoda or any good European car in terms of handling. It is just has to be a competent family hatch that can handle the enormous torque it generates for the highway drive. Basically a 'decent' handler will do.
If you being an Octavia guy find it to be decent, I guess it shouldnot be bad.

And for the maintenance part, I am amused why this car needs to be serviced so frequently (oil filter,fuel filter,air filter,engine oil change I guess ?) when multijet engines have service interval of 15K kms. Or I am misinformed somewhere ?
Old 25th November 2011, 22:44   #56
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I hope Hyundai i20 and Swift (as well as Dzire) owners will help me out in choosing the appropriate car for my kind of requirements.

Priorities :
- A good all rounded family car for a family of 4 (and occasional 5th passenger )
- Good diesel engine with strong performance, low NVH level and good economy.
- Durable build and quality interiors that should last for 6-7 years (the time period of ownership)
- Reliability and A.S.S. I expect the car to be trouble free and maintenance should not be too expensive either.
- Ride and handling should be par for the course. I am not expecting a racer boy machine but the car should have decent dynamics (and high speed stability) as well as easy city drive.
- Good boot space is an added advantage.

Dzire DDiS VDi (6.9 lakhs OTR)
+ Swift with a practical boot
+ Punchy DDiS engine with good economy
+ Super dependable car with great reliability
+ Maruti's service and maintenance advantage
+ Adequately comfortable and decent dynamics

- Awkward styling is difficult to digest
- Dzire CS based on new swift is due next year. The current swift might be discountined
- Interior and general quality is least impressive among the three.
- Waiting period

Few more comparisons :
- Which is a better engine overall ? 1.2 DDiS(Multijet) or 1.4 CRDi ? Driveablity,performance and NVH being the main criteria
- Which cars high speed behavior (for highway usage) is better ? i20 or Swift. I have limited experiehnce with i20 while Swift is quite good on the wrong side of 100 kmph.
I'm assuming you would drive at least 10K Km a year since you're planning for a diesel car.
I would vote for the Swift Dzire Vdi - will be a good match for your requirements and definitely VFM (of course if your budget can be stretched you have other cars to consider).
As for the engine, the Fiat engine used in Swift and Dzire is our 'national' diesel engine so there should be no worries on that one
Coming to highway usage also, the Dzire is an able, comfortable car.
Of course we all have our own perspectives, views and the context in which we make decisions are different (personal likes/dislikes, choices, budget constraints, etc) so don't just make a decision based on what people share/suggest here, be convinced yourself after taking test drive(s) and do your own analysis to arrive at the right decision. So far you seem to have done some amount of good homework already to shortlist these 2 cars.
Old 26th November 2011, 18:46   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I would vote for the Swift Dzire Vdi - will be a good match for your requirements and definitely VFM (of course if your budget can be stretched you have other cars to consider).
As for the engine, the Fiat engine used in Swift and Dzire is our 'national' diesel engine so there should be no worries on that one
Coming to highway usage also, the Dzire is an able, comfortable car.
Dzire is actually the most practical and dependable car in my list and I really accept the fact it is a car that grows on you.

But somehow I do have some inclination towards the i20 CRDi for the fabulous interiors and the powerful engine it has to offer. And Dzire getting replaced with the CS version sometime in 2012 is another turn off.
So the confusion continues

Btw your take on Tata Manza ?
It is almost as well priced as the Dzire. Though TATA's QC and A.S.S. is something nobody is very sure about.
Old 27th November 2011, 07:36   #58
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dzire is actually the most practical and dependable car in my list and I really accept the fact it is a car that grows on you.

But somehow I do have some inclination towards the i20 CRDi for the fabulous interiors and the powerful engine it has to offer. And Dzire getting replaced with the CS version sometime in 2012 is another turn off.
So the confusion continues

Btw your take on Tata Manza ?
It is almost as well priced as the Dzire. Though TATA's QC and A.S.S. is something nobody is very sure about.
Why is the release of Dzire CS version a concern for you ? I don't think the availability of parts will ever be a problem for the Dzire in the next 5 years at least. Moreover, the idea with the CS is to reduce length of the car so as to get the small car benefit (sub 4m) so I don't see that causing a lot of redesign/usage of totally different parts compared to the current generation Dzire. Also my guess is Dzire CS will be based on the new Swift so again nothing to worry
Definitely the Manza is VFM and a very nice car but I personally would not buy it since I have experienced Tata service with my earlier car (Indica Dlx).

Last edited by NPV : 27th November 2011 at 07:40.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 19:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Why is the release of Dzire CS version a concern for you ? I don't think the availability of parts will ever be a problem for the Dzire in the next 5 years at least. Moreover, the idea with the CS is to reduce length of the car so as to get the small car benefit (sub 4m) so I don't see that causing a lot of redesign/usage of totally different parts compared to the current generation Dzire. Also my guess is Dzire CS will be based on the new Swift so again nothing to worry
I am not concerned about the availability of spare parts. The thing is that I don't want to buy a car that MAY be discontinued with in six months of purchase. Obviously it is a psychological thing and there are other factors that may outdo the thought.

BTW you seem to be a happy dzire customer (as expected).
If you can add your fuel economy figures in both city and highway cycles.
Old 28th November 2011, 06:54   #60
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not concerned about the availability of spare parts. The thing is that I don't want to buy a car that MAY be discontinued with in six months of purchase. Obviously it is a psychological thing and there are other factors that may outdo the thought.

BTW you seem to be a happy dzire customer (as expected).
If you can add your fuel economy figures in both city and highway cycles.
Yes, definitely seems to be a psychological thing.
I own a DZire Vxi (petrol) and get decent FE - 13/14 Kmpl in city driving conditions and 18/20 Kmpl on longer highway drives. I also have friends who have the Diesel Ldi/Vdi and they always get FE 22+Kmpl on their highway drives
EDIT: @Turbokick - Just wondering, isn't the Etios D on your list as well ? I definitely don't intend to add to your confusion !

Last edited by NPV : 28th November 2011 at 07:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks