Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 07:38   #61
BHPian

Re: Swift Dzire or Hyundai i20 ???

Excellent figures I must say ! When was the last time did you hear a petrol sedan delivering 20 kmpl ! Marutis are just the best when it comes to fuel efficieny.

Etios was an easy rejection.
While the overall vehicle should be competent, too much cost cutting was a big let down.
Infact I have never seen the diesel variant.
The petrol variant of Etios which I test rode few months back had too much of engine and road noise. Imagine what will be the NVH level of the diesel variant. Even the interiors and overall build felt like direct competition for Maruti 800.
But still the drive was good. I liked the suspension and the torquey engine.

I would anyday pick a Logan/Verito over Etios D if I had to choose a 'build to the price' sedan.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:02   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, definitely seems to be a psychological thing.
I own a DZire Vxi (petrol) and get decent FE - 13/14 Kmpl in city driving conditions and 18/20 Kmpl on longer highway drives. I also have friends who have the Diesel Ldi/Vdi and they always get FE 22+Kmpl on their highway drives
EDIT: @Turbokick - Just wondering, isn't the Etios D on your list as well ? I definitely don't intend to add to your confusion !
20 kmpl for a petrol is impressive. Almost surreal.

My diesel doesn't give anything beyond 19kmpl. Always 4 or 5 people in the car. 100% A.C and I have a heavy lead foot. For my kind of driving, 19 kmpl is good.

Managed 21 and 22 kmpl when I have driven sedately (70-90 kmph).

@ Turbokick, you better swap your tires asap if you end up buying a Dzire.

Service cost ain't that expensive. My 10k km service cost me 1800/-
Old 7th December 2011, 12:49   #63

Hi,

After lot of deliberations, I finally booked i20 CRDI Sportz.

Got it delivered last week. Have drove almost 600 Kms in a week's time.

Got a milage of 17.5 KMPL (Diesel). Most of the run was done in the City area.

As far as the interiors and comforts is concerned, none can beat i20 in its segment.

Power is a big bonus for this machine. It vrooms to 100 in just 12.2 Seconds (Auto India). Better than any Swift/Dzire (12.9 Seconds)

I would surely recommend i20 for performance enthusiast.
Old 7th February 2012, 13:27   #64
BHPian

Hello everybody !

After a month or two of confusion I am back to square one.
Thanks to new dzire which is now better vfm and ofcourse better looking , my family members are insisting for dzire ahead of i20 crdi which we booked last december.

Our i20 crdi sportz will be available by 20th of February. But the new dzire is making things confusing.
The Maruti dealer is confident of providing new dzire within 45 days (before April if we book now)

So why new dzire over i20 ?
- Maruti's service and reliability is unbeatable
- DDiS has got a clean history and maintenance is reasonable.
- Its 2012 all new car against 2009 model i20
- Better resale value for obvious reasons
- Slightly better suspension and handling (as per reviews. yet to drive one, will do that soon.)

Why i20 is still a great car?
- Superb interiors. Best in class.
- Sportz version has got alloys,ACC,ICE,bluetooth,airbags,auto mirrors etc which are absent in vdi. Better tyres too. In short better vfm
- crdi is a bomb. Its even better than DDiS IMO.
- Superior build quality inside out and NVH
- More interior volume

*I am completely ok with the AC performance of i20 crdi and steering issue is something I have made my mind with.

* New dzire is decent looking as per me. So styling is not a big issue with me.

But my real question is hyundai's expensive service and i20's maintenance costs.

Should I do the gamble and go for i20 or new dzire is the safe bet?

OTR pricing odisha,
VDi : 7.28 lakhs
Sportz : 7.26 lakhs
Old 7th February 2012, 13:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Hello everybody !

Thanks to new dzire which is now better vfm and ofcourse better looking , my family members are insisting for dzire ahead of i20 crdi which we booked last december.

Our i20 crdi sportz will be available by 20th of February. But the new dzire is making things confusing.
The Maruti dealer is confident of providing new dzire within 45 days (before April if we book now)

- Slightly better suspension and handling (as per reviews. yet to drive one, will do that soon.)

Why i20 is still a great car?
- Superb interiors. Best in class.
- Sportz version has got alloys,ACC,ICE,bluetooth,airbags,auto mirrors etc which are absent in vdi. Better tyres too. In short better vfm
- crdi is a bomb. Its even better than DDiS IMO.
- Superior build quality inside out and NVH
- More interior volume

*I am completely ok with the AC performance of i20 crdi and steering issue is something I have made my mind with.

* New dzire is decent looking as per me. So styling is not a big issue with me.

But my real question is hyundai's expensive service and i20's maintenance costs.

Should I do the gamble and go for i20 or new dzire is the safe bet?

OTR pricing odisha,
i was in a similar dilemma an year ago, chose the i20.
Why ? Build Quality & Feature List as pointed by you as well.
The only point in favor of dzire for me was 'The Car with the boot'

As far as maintenance costs are concerned Maruti is no cheap.IMO shelling out 10-20% more is reasonable enough for a better built car that too for parts which don't go bad frequently.
Periodic Maintenance Costs are same with both, don't need to worry.
You an go with 5year extended warranty with i20.
Resale won't make a difference if you plan to sell after 5 years.

Last edited by k2max6 : 7th February 2012 at 13:54.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:28   #66
BHPian

From your comparison points, it seems that you've not done TD of the new Dzire. If you've not then, do it. You'll be surprised to see how far better it is than existing Dzire. Even interiors, for example, has improved greatly.

Quote:
*Steering issue is something I have made my mind with.

*But my real question is hyundai's expensive service and i20's maintenance costs.
Do you realize that these two points are contradicting?

One more point, Dzire is a brand new design while i20 is on verge of a facelift. Have you considered this too?
Old 7th February 2012, 14:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
i was in a similar dilemma an year ago, chose the i20.
Why ? Build Quality & Feature List as pointed by you as well.
Thanks for the prompt reply k2max.
Type of body (hatch or sedan) is not a concern for me and I would rather opt for car that is easier to drive in traffic. Both the cars are very good in town.
I was not aware of the 5 year warranty plan for i20 ! The dealer said it is extendable only to 3rd year. Are you sure about this ? I mean the BS4 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
From your comparison points, it seems that you've not done TD of the new Dzire. If you've not then, do it. You'll be surprised to see how far better it is than existing Dzire. Even interiors, for example, has improved greatly.
My estimation is based on my experience with new swift. Dzire being almost very similar, I must admit that i20 is 'still' the better built car.

Quote:
Do you realize that these two points are contradicting?
I guess 'maintenance' and 'steering noise' are different issues.

Quote:
One more point, Dzire is a brand new design while i20 is on verge of a facelift. Have you considered this too?
Yup My parents are upto the same opinion and I have mentioned it in my points. But mere cosmetic upgrade for i20 isnot a big hindrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Try and compare the boot size of both - there's hardly any difference. Also, with i20 you have the flexibility of 60:40 seats/removing the boot flap and storing a bit more vertically (although not recommended) as against the fixed boot of Dzire. Also, premium build (as compared to Maruti) of the i20's cabin should be something to really consider.
Agreed. Boot space is not a make or break for either. And yes i20's cabin is its big USP

Last edited by Turbokick : 7th February 2012 at 14:41.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:32   #68
BHPian

Try and compare the boot size of both - there's hardly any difference. Also, with i20 you have the flexibility of 60:40 seats/removing the boot flap and storing a bit more vertically (although not recommended) as against the fixed boot of Dzire. Also, premium build (as compared to Maruti) of the i20's cabin should be something to really consider.
Old 7th February 2012, 15:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why not the swift? Why Dezire? I believe Dezire only has the boot to differentiate itself from swift. In the price range you are looking at, I believe you can get the Swift Zdi.

Anyways, since you have already went ahead and booked the i20, I would suggest you to stick to it as you are ready to live with its limitations and are in favour of the features and gadgets its offering
Old 7th February 2012, 15:27   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Why not the swift? Why Dezire? I believe Dezire only has the boot to differentiate itself from swift. In the price range you are looking at, I believe you can get the Swift Zdi.

Anyways, since you have already went ahead and booked the i20, I would suggest you to stick to it as you are ready to live with its limitations and are in favour of the features and gadgets its offering
Why not Swift ?
4-5 months waiting period
With the consecutive price hikes it is now priced bit on the higher side. With the chances of Govt imposing diesel tax by this April, it is almost impossible to get the Swift before that.
Impractical boot space being another drawback.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:44   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I was not aware of the 5 year warranty plan for i20 ! The dealer said it is extendable only to 3rd year. Are you sure about this ? I mean the BS4 version.
I bought it with mine.I don't know if it has been discontinued.It was available till 4-5 months ago when i last visited the showroom.Around 6.5k for the 5 year warranty.
3 Year is generally given along with the purchase as standard.

Dzire has a 316 L boot with non-fold able seats and i20 has a 295 L.
Leave the engine then -
i20 Sportz over Dzire Vdi
- Better ICE with BT
- Steering Controls
- Airbag
- ACC
- Folding Mirrors
- Alloy Wheels with better rubber
- Telescopic Steering
- Cooled Glove Box
- Flip Key
- Dead Pedal
- Better NVH
- Better Built

Dzire VDi over i20
- Maruti Service Network
- Slightly Bigger Boot
- Fresh Model
- 'Sedan'
- Better Rear Seat Comfort (Not Sure)
- Better Resale Value (Consider this only if you plan to sell it under 5 years)
- Better AC

As far as the steering issue is concerned i am unaware of it since i have a petrol and never faced it.It is bound to the crdi ?
Go with Zero Depreciation Insurance and you live tension free for years to come.

Last edited by k2max6 : 7th February 2012 at 16:54.
Old 7th February 2012, 20:20   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
As far as the steering issue is concerned i am unaware of it since i have a petrol and never faced it.It is bound to the crdi ?
Go with Zero Depreciation Insurance and you live tension free for years to come.
I guess steering issue is common to both variants.
For the warranty thing, I will reconfirm it. Maybe its different for petrol and diesel.

I will take your words regarding the Z.D. insurance. It is a wise thing to do according to many
Old 14th February 2012, 12:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everybody !

=====================
OTR pricing odisha,

Hi TurboKick,

I was in a dilemma when I was planning to pickup a car for me 2 years back. For me 2 things are very clear any reasonable Car in Honda starts from Honda Civic as Honda City is a strict no no, It looks more hyped then VFM. In hundai somehow deep within I have some apprehensions with regard to Korean engines reliability. I had always preferred a Wangon R to Santro.

So all this self centered thoughts left me with very little options. I was not very sure if I should pickup a Diesel or Petrol car. So my search started for a decent car around 6 lakhs budget.

I had almost finalized Dzire top end version when it struck to me that I can buy low end model of linea that a top end model of Dzire. Then came the cost of spare parts comparison in which Linea beat verna, Hinda City, SX4 and few more sedans hands down, though A.S.S was always a big concern.

So i decided to go for a basic model of Linea diesel version. Diesel was a decision taken not any calculation but on personal sentiments as I had faced many situations when I had cancelled a road trip only because my existing Ford Ikon 1.6 was petrol car which without doubt had lot of power but I never owned a petrol pump to ensure its intake is regular. It served me for more than 8 years and still has a place in my heart.

But coming back to Linea diesel, it was decided that i would buy that car so that I can travel by road without feeling a pinch on my pocket.

But all calculations and budgets went for a TOSS as i ended up buying a TOP end Linea model which I love from bottom of my heart. The A.S.S is amazing. Though my office is just opposite to my house and it takes more time to reach office in car than by walk still i bought diesel vehicle.

Buddy leave all calculations aside and if you prefer keeping you car for long then prefer diesel as some basic assumptions which I am sure i cannot go wrong is that Govt. will never hike the price of Diesel as much as it will of petrol, a single rupee hike in diesel will hit the economy badly. Resale value of diesel is any time much more than petrol vehicle and this gap will grow.

Now adding to your confusion, Pls also look at Fiat Linea and Tata Manza.

Out of the JV of Tata and Fiat, Tata is the biggest beneficiary as it created Manza looking at Linea, so almost all the features of Linea are present in Manza. Linea according to me had one issue and that was GC. Even that is taken care in new model as GC has been raised to 185.

Sorry to have bored with my story but wanted you to consider Linea and Manza also . All views are mine with lot inputs I had taken by reading this forum at the time of deciding my vehicle. And I'm really happy that I choose Linea.
Old 14th February 2012, 13:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi TurboKick,

Now adding to your confusion, Pls also look at Fiat Linea and Tata Manza.

Out of the JV of Tata and Fiat, Tata is the biggest beneficiary as it created Manza looking at Linea, so almost all the features of Linea are present in Manza. Linea according to me had one issue and that was GC. Even that is taken care in new model as GC has been raised to 185.

Sorry to have bored with my story but wanted you to consider Linea and Manza also . All views are mine with lot inputs I had taken by reading this forum at the time of deciding my vehicle. And I'm really happy that I choose Linea.
Thanks for the input and I appreciate your point of listening to heart sometimes, when you go through lots of confusion. Linea is infact one of the best engineered cars in its class without doubt but the thing is that it overseeds our budget by big margin, even for the base model.

Few more reason why Fiat is not in our list :
- A.S.S. is not only questionable, it is sparse in our region. We don't have a Fiat dealer in our town.
- I am not very confident about Fiat's approach in India. Great cars don't always make great success. Unless you belong to some big metros , you don't get the support from Fiat.
- They don't retain its value well. Diesel or not.

For the Manza, and why it got rejected :
- It is too big a car for our family of 4. We don't need such a massive car. It almost beats every car below 15 lakh barrier in terms of size !
Not the most agile car around
- Drive isn't too interesting. Heritage is so,that Manza is more like a chauffer driven car
-Tata's niggles and overall built is little behind the competition..

But hey both are great vfm cars in their own way.

Last edited by Turbokick : 14th February 2012 at 13:22.
Old 19th February 2012, 22:08   #75
Mtv
BHPian

hi Turbokick,
IMO the i20 would be a better buy, have a look at the teambhp review for the new dzire and see for yourself. Maruti clearly hasn't given much thought to the ergonomics of the car. I own an i20 sportz (petrol) and I can say with conviction that it's a well thought out car. You won't be disappointed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks