Team-BHP - Skoda Laura OR Tata Safari
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Skoda Laura OR Tata Safari (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/55284-skoda-laura-tata-safari.html)

Hi,
I am planning to buy either a skoda Laura or the Tata Safari. I would be glad to know your inputs . Key parameters are

1. Value for money.
2. I will be keeping the vehicle for minimun 5 years
3. Resale value
4. Maintaince cost
5. Post Sales service
6. Accident repair cost - Key comparative figures
7. Best suited car between the two keeping in mind indian road condition
8. What are the probable know issues in the Safari - since I have heard a lot of stories about it, also keeping in mind that the all new Safari will be launched in mid 2010. Is it worth the wait ? does anyone have an idea of what improvements are going to be done in the new version.

Regards
Dhananjay

Strange thing is that you are asking forum ppl to choose between apple and orange.

Its your personal preference because these two vehicles belong to entirely different genres.

Second thing is that both the vehicles don't fare too well on your key parameters.

@Dhananjay, put down your usage (city/ highway/ good or bad roads/ no road), distances travelled etc. and the forum members should be able to help you better. Right now it is comparison between two totally different class of vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djavalkar (Post 1219501)
Hi,
I am planning to buy either a skoda Laura or the Tata Safari. I would be glad to know your inputs . Key parameters are

1. Value for money. - Skoda any day
2. I will be keeping the vehicle for minimun 5 years - Depends on your useage
3. Resale value - Skoda and Safari are in the same zone, quick depreciation
4. Maintaince cost - Safari rules here on low maintenance
5. Post Sales service - Skoda scores better
6. Accident repair cost Key comparative figures - Both fare similar
7. Best suited car between the two keeping in mind indian road condition - Safari
8. What are the probable know issues in the Safari - Its all hearsay,85% of reviews comes from non-owners. Dont bother, Safari is a good VFM, very rugged and extremely comfortable cruiser

Regards
Dhananjay

I think i've been fair in answering your queries:)

apples and oranges mate....

if youcan afford a Laura and want the road presence and practicality of a Safari, you could also consider looking at a Ford Endeavour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM (Post 1220353)
I think i've been fair in answering your queries:)

Pretty fair except for the "Post Sales Service" where Tata outscores Skoda any day I'd say. Quite a few Skoda stories doing the rounds including Ajmat's experience.

forget apples and oranges. both these vehicles are pretty good potential lemons :D.

why not a sonata/civic/altis ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavan Kadam
5. Post Sales service - Skoda scores better

Pavan, this is wrong comparitively both are in same boat, but in few cases the Tata guys are getting good service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavan Kadam
1. Value for money. - Skoda any day

In what way you say this

If type of fuel is not a constraint you can have a look at the Grand Vitara. Extremely reliable vehicle. Else I would prefer the Safari over laura. Or as himanghsugoswami has said, you can look at other options like Endeavour also.

Eventhough both are in a different league, I think you can go ahead for the Safari VX. Should be in your budget :)

Quote:

Hi,

8. What are the probable know issues in the Safari - since I have heard a lot of stories about it, also keeping in mind that the all new Safari will be launched in mid 2010. Is it worth the wait ? does anyone have an idea of what improvements are going to be done in the new version.

Regards
Dhananjay

There are already multiple threads running on this forum with ample information to satisfy your urge for Safari issues and criticism. You may refer to those threads to know more about known issues and lots of other stories. After you go through these you might want to rename your thread as- ' Skoda Laura or any other sedan'.
lol: :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 1220529)
Eventhough both are in a different league, I think you can go ahead for the Safari VX. Should be in your budget :)

Why not a GX, which is now available. That would be a great VFM.With all loaded features.

Comfort ka comfort, Strong ka Strong, all in all,

"Sundar, Sasta aur Tikau":D

I guess I should be in the best position to comment on this, though in a biased manner as I do own both the cars that you are comparing.

Quote:

Hi,

1. Value for money. Both are good VFM if one considers what they provide for the price, in case of safari a true full size SUV with all the bell and features in the VX model and in the Laura a C class Merc featured entry level Luxary car.
2. I will be keeping the vehicle for minimun 5 years - that is the best way to get value out of these. (the new laura shape will be out by june so you should wait till then if you go for the laura.)
3. Resale value - safari depreciates faster, laura is better here.
4. Maintaince cost - safari is cheaper to maintain and service even in the case of accidents.
5. Post Sales service - this is more dependent on the serivice centre, both have excellent, good and bad centre, one need to select the best centre. JMD guys in mumbai are good for the Laura and Wasan / Balaji in Mumbai / Thane are Ok for the Safari.
6. Accident repair cost - Key comparativu e figures - Safari fares better here. The Laura, font lights, side view mirrors, bumper etc. cost much more. The Safari also fares better in minor accidents, with almost no part requiring replacements, laura has Airbag and built safety, and Safari has massive size safety so both are similar in safety. Laura is the most stable car this side of 25L, Safari is the most stable SUV this side of 20L for this size, (exclusing soft roaders like Grand vitara/ CRV etc)
7. Best suited car between the two keeping in mind indian road condition - Safari, is better built for indian potholes.

Had bought a new safari in 2001 - still have it at 150,000 kms. bought the Laura in 2006. The laura is an Auto so more convenient, the mind still carvaves for the new 2.2 dicor Safari VX, so if I had spare change would go and pick it up right away in exhange for the current Safari. Somehow cars like the laura are bought every day but the safari experience is something that every car lover should have once in his life time. other SUV's are not an alternative. (Endeavour and Scorpio included.)

If I had to have just one of the two i would be forced to go for the Laura as my wife is not that comforable with manual gears and laura is automatic.

Regards
Dhananjay

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 1220607)
I guess I should be in the best position to comment on this, though in a biased manner as I do own both the cars that you are comparing
Had bought a new safari in 2001 - still have it at 150,000 kms. bought the Laura in 2006. The laura is an Auto so more convenient, the mind still carvaves for the new 2.2 dicor Safari VX, so if I had spare change would go and pick it up right away in exhange for the current Safari. Somehow cars like the laura are bought every day but the safari experience is something that every car lover should have once in his life time. other SUV's are not an alternative. (Endeavour and Scorpio included.).

Nice dude,

1.50 lacs on your Safari and still no LTOR:deadhorse.

Would love to know your ownership.

Nice view:)

My pick is TATA Safari any day compared with Skoda Laura(I simply loved its interiors but I am afraid of SKODA stories).

For indian condition anyday Safari is best vehicle. Since you own many cars ( as per your signature) think about Petrol Safari, it comes with loaded features and super smooth would give you best comfort! Except FE between 6.5 to 12kmpl based on driving conditions. But its worth if your usage is less than 1000km per month and you would like to keep it for 5+ years.

Regards,

Ravi.