Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 01:26   #1
BHPian

Which Car to Sell ? Emotions Vs. Reality - What would you do ?

Hi All

While this forum is for which car to buy, Here iam posting a query for which car to sell ! Iam in a fix for im caught between my emotions vs. practicality over the sale of some cars . I thought it would be best to have some unbiased and independent opinion from people who might have been in similar situation and may be able to guide better.

To better explain the situation - iam outlining the issue against each case i own

Esteem 125000km
- 2000 Model and With over 125000 done, this car is still running fine. It has CNG Installed and runs most of the time for day to day work. However with recent overheating issues coming back again & again, iam considering selling it off but for all the time it has been with me, i just feel i should'nt sell it and let it be there. Driven avg. 100 KM per day

Baleno 72000km - 2005 Model and very well maintained and Still my Favourite but ever since Accord has arrived, it is used say 100-200 KM Per week that too when Accord sits idle or i have to go to cramped places in old city etc.

Indica 63000km
- 2003 Model with the daily usage is such that either esteem is used or Indica so either of them rests and one clocks 100 KM per day but they both dont run at the same time.

SX4 45000km - 2007 Model This is with my GrandMa and must have ! Dedicated for her use.

Accord 37000km - 2006 Model and Stays with me most of the time and does 300 - 400 KM in a week

Karizma 1400km
- 2007 model and It never went for 2nd service even and has been standing for atleast past 3-4 months.

Another fact is that My brother would be arriving real soon in town and he would need a car to drive too for day to day basis.

Now my question is, Is any of my car really lying Idle ? Shall i just sell Esteem or Indica or Even Baleno Off ? What would the Experts out here Say about this ?

My emotional side says keep them all but in Reality, i somehow feel they're loosing value each day and would be scrap.

I must however mention that all these cars are well maintained, given a wash every 2500 KM and Oil etc. changed every 5000 KM, the RPMs have never crossed 3000 Line in extremes and are driven around 1500-2000 Marks at the most in all gears. They all get a waxing job done every 15 days and look as good as new. I do spend a great amount of money maintaining them but of late, i ask myself , is it really worth it ?

So who wins ? Emotions Or Reality ? The ball is in your court and i await reactions from all of you out there !

Thanks & God bless !

Last edited by GTO : 5th May 2009 at 11:48. Reason: Removing bold part as requested
Old 5th May 2009, 11:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My take:

1. Sell the Esteem : Most Esteems feel worn out once they cross 1.5 lakh kms. And she is starting to give you some problems. If you sell now, the car will fetch atleast some resale.

2. Baleno : Has a lot of life left in her. Retain for your brother.

3. Indica : Can be the high-mileage beater of your garage. Healthy enough for another 60,000 - 70,000 kms. If you need an extra car for rough use, this is it.

4. Karizma : If you aren't going to ride the bike, might as well sell her off. No point in her standing & gathering dust.

The Accord can stay for your personal / business use and the SX4 for Grandma.
Old 5th May 2009, 12:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Selling the Esteem and keeping the others will be a good idea, Esteem might not fetch you more selling it. But as you said it is losing its value day by day and this is the oldest of the lot you have in your garage.

Baleno can be used for your brother and the Accord for yourself and Karizma can be used between you both when required.
Old 5th May 2009, 12:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

First off I like this thread. Not which car to buy, but which car to sell. Interesting!

Esteem 125000km
- This old man has done his job. Sell this car to some couple who want their first car and who will use it only on weekends.

Baleno 72000km - Why would you sell your Favourite? Take the engine mods to the next level and squeeze more out of this baby. You will tend to use thi car more. Or like GTO said let you bro use it- hmm naa.

Indica 63000km
- Diesel car with very good space. Keep this car and use it extensively for chores/odd jobs/parking in bad areas etc. or- or when you 'have to go to cramped places in old city etc.'

SX4 45000km - As you said Stays with Grandma.
Accord 37000km - As you said Stays with you.

Karizma 1400km
- Dont kill this bikes spirit. Take her out atleast on weekends. Dont regret selling the only two wheeler in your garage.

Let us know how this goes.
Old 5th May 2009, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

I too go for selling off the esteem,and probably the baleno also and go for 2 new cars.one a hatch and a dzire.Dzire could replace the use of esteem and at a very low cost of running and the hatch can be used by bro.If not brother can stick with the baleno.

ram
Old 5th May 2009, 16:50   #6
BHPian

Hmmm !!! Well I guess its time to let Esteem go :(...To tell you guys more about it, The car is Euro 1 Carb. Esteem which has Sony USB MP3 Player, Original Xplod Speakers, Central Locking with remote, Fog Lamps, Front Power windows, power Antenna, 175/70/13 Bridgestone Radials (done 10000km on them) and CNG with Small 8 KG Cylinder saving all of the boot space.

Any idea how much would this get me ? I got a quote from Maruti True Value dealer last year on Diwali for 1.35 but then i was never interested and from what i know, they quote somewhat low prices. Any idea of the value now from anyone who sold their esteem recently (With or without CNG) ?
Old 5th May 2009, 17:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I too go for selling off the esteem,and probably the baleno also and go for 2 new cars.one a hatch and a dzire.Dzire could replace the use of esteem and at a very low cost of running and the hatch can be used by bro.If not brother can stick with the baleno.

ram
Other hatch your suggesting is the swift? Hmmm 2 maruti cars suggestions coming from a Hyundai guy..dal mein kuch kala hai.

Jokes apart, this is a good suggestion. If your not too much into spirited driving then you can do away with the Baleno and Esteem like all said is on its last legs. If you have the moolah replace them both with a Dzire/Verna D/Logan D/Ikon TDCi etc and another hatch ( whatever you like)
Old 5th May 2009, 18:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sell the Esteem and use the money to do some spicy mods under the Baleno's Hood
Old 5th May 2009, 18:43   #9
BHPian

Considering that its a maruti, I guess your esteem should fetch anything in the range of 120000 to 130000.
Old 5th May 2009, 19:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Other hatch your suggesting is the swift? Hmmm 2 maruti cars suggestions coming from a Hyundai guy..dal mein kuch kala hai.

Jokes apart, this is a good suggestion. If your not too much into spirited driving then you can do away with the Baleno and Esteem like all said is on its last legs. If you have the moolah replace them both with a Dzire/Verna D/Logan D/Ikon TDCi etc and another hatch ( whatever you like)
I just put up my sugestions.He needed a car for bro and he is selling 2 sedans which are petrols.so a diesel option would be great for a person who has such a great amount of running.Both Dzire and swift are selling like hot cakes and more over resale of these would be great too.

cheers
ram
Old 6th May 2009, 19:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I just put up my sugestions.He needed a car for bro and he is selling 2 sedans which are petrols.so a diesel option would be great for a person who has such a great amount of running.Both Dzire and swift are selling like hot cakes and more over resale of these would be great too.

cheers
ram
Have put up esteem for Sale @ 135000 and got Embera 2006 @ 6.0 Lakhs
Both deals would happen sometime in coming week. Thank you all for your feedbacks though to be honest, i still feel if i had more parking space around my house (@Chanakyapuri in Delhi, you easily get parking space around your homes but i've filled it too ) i would have kept esteem too but well...time to move on with reality and $$$ in pocket !.....Err..Actually $$$$ got spent at the end of the day with Embera being acquired, nothing came in the pocket !
Old 6th May 2009, 23:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhi2009 View Post
Have put up esteem for Sale @ 135000 and got Embera 2006 @ 6.0 Lakhs
.....Err..Actually $$$$ got spent at the end of the day with Embera being acquired, nothing came in the pocket !
You are kidding on both these figures right?

1.35 L on the Esteem as you explained it seems to be a very good Sale

6.00 L for a Sonota Embera, am I hearing this right? I know it has bad resale, but this bad? Pics and details of the vehicle please?
Old 7th May 2009, 00:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
You are kidding on both these figures right?

1.35 L on the Esteem as you explained it seems to be a very good Sale

6.00 L for a Sonota Embera, am I hearing this right? I know it has bad resale, but this bad? Pics and details of the vehicle please?
1.35L is the price i've put it up for sale at. It does'nt mean i would be getting it but yes, iam sure of closing the deal around 1.30 as the car is being sold to someone i know. Again, The Embera is from a family friend who is in habit of changing cars now & then & mostly, his cars go to the Golf course, sit there day long and back .

So its a neat car at a bargain price (The dealer offered him 5.75 , i did'nt let him think twice and offered 6.0 and the deal was done !). Will post the pics as soon as he hands me over the car which will be sometime in next or next to next week. But yes, the car is pretty low on mileage , all original tyres and just done 46000km ! But its not the CRDI , its petrol version incase you're confusing between the 2 !
Old 7th May 2009, 02:55   #14
BHPian

6L for a petrol embera is a superb deal. As for your esteem anything above 1.3L is a very good sale. Lucky you.
Old 7th May 2009, 15:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

A petrol embera good,what are you waiting for buddie.Crash in and Zoom out.lolz.Any ways we were trying to save your $$ and you got the better off.Now i think the baleno can walk out right for a hatch.Any ways pray for both the deals to happen so that we can have a good report on the petrol emberra.

cheers

ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks