Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 13:22   #1
BHPian

Relocated to Delhi / Gurgaon - harrowing experience + need a new car

Friends,

I have just relocated from Pune to NCR (working in Delhi, living in Gurgaon) and had a harrowing experience with Agarwal packers.

I have a Honda Civic 1.8S MT and though I love to drive, for lack of time, decided to send it through the packers.

To cut a long story short, car did not arrive for 5 days beyond committed time and there was absolute no communication from the packers. On persisting and escalating - one late evening I was informed that the car has arrived but is in a damaged condition.

I was furious and heartbroken at the same time.

Anyway, went to the place near the Maruti stockyard, saw my dear car - badly hit on the left rear side as well as the front left side. The person there informed me that the rope which was holding the car snapped and the car rolled back and hit the end of the trailer. Just plain awful and irresponsible. But this transportation business is such an unorganised sector, what does one do?

Based on the feedback on this forum (thanks TBHP), decided against going to Ring Road Honda, but dropped the car at Pearl Honda, good, friendly folks, have given a quote of Rs 85,000 for the repair + and here's the big problem 3-4 weeks estimated repair time!!

So here I am, living in Gurgaon, need to go to work to Delhi everyday (60-70 km roundtrip) and absolutely no transport on hand !!

I had anyway planned to buy a second car (keep the Honda for the missus) but now need one urgently.
My choice was (and still is) the new Scorpio VLX but am informed by dealers here that there is a minimum 3-4 weeks delivery time.

Questions for the group here-

1. I am being told by the dealers that the delivery time is 3-4 weeks because of the recent strike in M&M. Is that correct? Can it be reduced in anyway? Will it be really 3-4 weeks or could I end up waiting for a couple of months?
2. What other car should I consider? Hard constraints are -
(i) Has to be readily available in NCR and
(ii) Has to be a Diesel.
Budget is upto 10 L and I would prefer something macho - i.e. Xylo and Innova ruled out from my side.

Thanks in advance
Old 29th May 2009, 15:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Thats bad. Are you sure that the car was not driven back to Pune? Have had that experience before with someone in the family.

Anyways, instead of making a hurried choice, I would advice you to hire cabs for commuting. And take your time to get familiar with your daily route and then decide the car that suits your needs the best
Old 29th May 2009, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Eddy.

Also Gurgaon-Delhi commuting can be very painful when driving self. So plan accordingly. I suggest to look for company transport.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:10   #4
BHPian

Talk to M&M GM(North), Gaurav Saxena 9910346890. He is an ill behaved person. Nevertheless his job is to help you out! He is not doing any favour but getting a car delivered to you faster.

Other things you can do is join a car pool or hire a cab. I use Meru Cabs quite frequently and their service is impeccable. They can be contacted on 44224422. Alternatively, you have Easy cabs 43434343, they are a tad unreliable!

Last edited by sandeep.mishra : 29th May 2009 at 16:14.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thats bad. Are you sure that the car was not driven back to Pune? Have had that experience before with someone in the family.
I think they note the kilometer reading and also give us a copy of the same. They also keep copies of insurance and RC book and license.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

Right. But they disconnect the odometer.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:40   #7
BHPian

@Eddy - thankfully it was not driven, I saw the paint marks and glass pieces on the trailer
@Sandeep - thanks a ton for the info, spoke to Saxena, will update on developments soon
Old 29th May 2009, 16:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Aren't they repairing the car? They have damaged it. They ought to repair it. Hope you had it insured (I am referring to the damage during transit)
Old 29th May 2009, 17:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

You will be claiming the costs from the packers & movers , right?
Old 29th May 2009, 17:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Try with other dealers in NCR if they have some old stock of the car. Some dealers do have, if they have then you have your vehicle ready
Old 29th May 2009, 20:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Try with other dealers in NCR if they have some old stock of the car. Some dealers do have, if they have then you have your vehicle ready
Exacltly ! Any car is more readily available in Delhi than Gurgaon or Noida.
So its better to enquire with other dealers in delhi.
They might be able to give you the delivery in 2-5 days from fresh stock itself.
You can always buy a Gurgaon number car from Delhi.No issues !
Old 30th May 2009, 18:06   #12
BHPian

@Wander - The packers have agreed to fund the difference between the repair cost and the insurance payout. Trouble with that is threefold - one, I have to make a claim saying the car was being driven (as transit damage is not covered), two - Thus I lose my No Claims Bonus and three - Pearl Honda does not have a cashless Insurance arrangement with New India (my insurer) - so I have to effectively pay the full amount for repair, claim the insurance (file goes to Pune - a cool 3 weeks) and after I am reimbursed go to Agarwal to claim the difference. Just praying they will pay me - fighting with truck drivers is not easy...

@Tanwar and @K2: Thanks - tried the existing stock with 3 dealers route, one of them has it but unfortunately since the Scorpio's been facelifted - the stock is pre facelift. Not too keen to take that

@Sandeep - spoke to Gaurav Saxena, he's going to try to get the vehicle in 7-10 days. Guess will go ahead and book that and use Meru in the meantime
Old 31st May 2009, 01:12   #13
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Yeah! Don't hurry! instead use a cab for the time being. Or see if you can get into some kind of a car pool with your work people.

Better late than getting a wrong car or wrong piece of the right car etc.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:25   #14
BHPian

Update - booked a Scorpio VLX with Koncept motors, delivery promised within 10 days (also spoke to some senior folks in M & M and am pushing it from there).

Some good news on the Civic front, the car will be ready by tomorrow, so the taxi part will not be for too long.

Incidentally, I loved the Meru cabs experience - good service and more importantly the leg space for the rear passengers in the Indigo Limousine (a variant of the XL I believe) is awesome. More than in a domestic business class seat in an airplane !!
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

great, what color ? accessories ? discounts ? total cost ?

did I miss anything ?

Most Viewed