Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 13:58   #16
BHPian

i too vote for the safari. The looks, the design and performance. I dont need to bother where i am driving (offroad/onroad). If the safari stands next to a city. the guy in the city needs to 'look up' to the safari guy
Old 1st July 2009, 14:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

who said GV ? Hello !

Own a Safari; Vit M was a big issue when I was looking for a new car but the decision I made make me happy everyday I drive it.

1) I sometimes come to office in a Alto/Spark/NHC/Esteem. None give the comfort, quality of ride the Safari gives.

2) Alto is fun to drive, City is pathetic wrt to its power (old 75bhp sedan). Safari? I reach faster/safer and more relaxed. Oh and that heart part; very happy and smiley smiley.

3) FE? 11kmpl; for my drives with AC full time. Yet to see someone beat me down the city to office trip style drive. Its not rash; people just give way :P

4) Funny to quote it here; tyres should last till 50k !

5) Safe? bring you honda I had someone fly few meters up the air and fall on my bonnet (he was lucky and so was I ), a small dent which was fixed by vaccum suction job.

6) CG can be a issue if you want to zig zag on curves at high speeds and top speed.

7) Love the look of the City; the specs and built quality.

8) Covered 41k in 16 months, happy with built quality as of now.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:10   #18
BHPian

Nice to see so much replies pouring in. Hope I will have 2-3 pages of responses by evening (:-)) so that I can mail it to my wife and win the battle hands down.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

And when you go home, just gift her a 1:18 scaled model of City, to make her happy while you can book a 1:1 Safari.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
And when you go home, just gift her a 1:18 scaled model of City, to make her happy while you can book a 1:1 Safari.
She might be already reading these posts and who knows, she would have already ordered a 1 : 150 scale down of Safari :-)

or even, would have smashed my Indigo , sideways and topways, to make a hybrid - Safigo (Safari + indigo)

Last edited by joecherian : 1st July 2009 at 14:22.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am not sure how this might be welcomed; but one thing is for sure - the next time you hit Joe's house, you can expect a 1:18 meal / drink!
Old 1st July 2009, 14:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
She might be already reading these posts and who knows, she would have already ordered a 1 : 150 scale down of Safari :-)

or even, would have smashed my Indigo , sideways and topways, to make a hybrid - Safigo (Safari + indigo)
missed this.

Wanted loads of space for 5 and my kids (when I have one)
Old 1st July 2009, 14:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Most people who have responded to your thread seem to be non safari owners, going by their responses- Great presence, glide over bumps etc. JK Das is the only one that I know who has a Safari, and you should give his views a serious thought.

let me give you my perspective as a Safari owner-

1.Road presence, yes it certainly gets you respect. But, you need to be very careful since this truck comes with the most pathetic brakes ever seen aon any vehicle, lock up is ridiculously easy and that in my book makes it dangerous. if you do buy a safari, make sure it has ABS

2. Cornering- sweeping moderate speed corners, abrupt lane changes are a big no-no in the Safari, for obvious reasons

3. Reliability- different people have different views on this, but on the whole, the Safari is not a reliable vehicle. Over time, we safari owners have gotten used to some issues and have termed them niggles, which in other cars would be termed as faults- AC fuse blowing, interior lights falling off, suspension issues brake issues etc. And going by user reviews and examples of fellow safari owners, the 2.2s seem to be more prone to these "niggles" than the 3.0

4. Safari ride- Even I bought my safari swayed by the "magic ride" stories- in two words _"Bovine excreta". the only thing that the safari has is a very soft suspension. So this gives the impression of a good ride at low speeds in city roads. Speed up a bit (say 80 KPH) on an undulating road, and you will be reminded of your favourite roller coaster. and if there is a bend on the road you will revisit the concept of body roll.

5. A.S.S. I have no idea of Honda A.S.S. since I have never had the pleasure of owning one, but let me tell you, TATA A.S.S. sucks big time. If you are a safari owner, they will make all the right noises in terms of welcoming you, opening a job card, giving you a courtesy drop and pick up etc, but their workmanship is pathetic. Ans this is true for most Tata dealerships.

I just wanted to give you an owners perspective. the ANHC is by no means perfect, and you should also look at the Linea and SX4 as well, IMO

Cheers!

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 1st July 2009 at 14:34.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:37   #24
BHPian

Another Head Vs Heart battle ?

you really need to assess the reason for the vehicle, ask yourself the below mentioned questions :
A) Is it going to be primarily driven in the city or a healthy mix?
B) Who is going to be driving the vehicle most of the time?
C) Does Safety to you mean - a 1.5 ton solid vehicle or better braking /
collision safety devices.
Hopefully, you would have made your choice basis the above.

My Views :
I have owned a indigo for over 5 years and a iDSI city for 4 years now.

A$$ :
I have been pained by the apathy of the TATA A$$. Honda A$$ has been relatively better (not great by any means).

Maintenance costs :
Honda clearly outstrips the Indigo by miles. Unfair comparison as its petrol Vs deisel , but what matters is the overall cost of ownership

Sense of Reliability :
I somehow have greater confindence in the "H" badge than TATA on the engine & overall reliability of the vehicle.

Having said that, It would be a dream come true to live the Safari experience !!!

And believe me, when I was faced with a similar dilemma 3 months back (between Safari VX 4*4 and Altis/Civic) , I ended up buying the Altis since my wife preferred it & as she was going to be using the vehicle most of the time , reliability was more important.

Cheers
Sid

Last edited by sidwadia : 1st July 2009 at 14:42. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 1st July 2009, 14:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

I dont know about your wife but i know lot of females who love to drive Safari anyday compared to City.

Let her take a good long test drive of Safari and lets see how she feels.

Maintenenance of Safari will surely be cheaper than City.

New 2.2 Safari has so much power compared to City

Lots of space for you guys, your luggage and the pets.

Of course Safari comes with a huge road presence and you will love it.

External build quality wise, Safari is miles ahead of City.

buying a new vehicle is a big decision, so should not be taken in haste and let her be convinced that Safari is always a better for your requirements than City otherwise there is no use.

Cheers
Old 1st July 2009, 14:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Most people who have responded to your thread seem to be non safari owners, going by their responses- Great presence, glide over bumps etc. JK Das is the only one that I know who has a Safari, and you should give his views a serious thought.

let me give you my perspective as a Safari owner-

1.Road presence, yes it certainly gets you respect. But, you need to be very careful since this truck comes with the most pathetic brakes ever seen aon any vehicle, lock up is ridiculously easy and that in my book makes it dangerous. if you do buy a safari, make sure it has ABS

2. Cornering- sweeping moderate speed corners, abrupt lane changes are a big no-no in the Safari, for obvious reasons

3. Reliability- different people have different views on this, but on the whole, the Safari is not a reliable vehicle. Over time, we safari owners have gotten used to some issues and have termed them niggles, which in other cars would be termed as faults- AC fuse blowing, interior lights falling off, suspension issues brake issues etc. And going by user reviews and examples of fellow safari owners, the 2.2s seem to be more prone to these "niggles" than the 3.0

4. Safari ride- Even I bought my safari swayed by the "magic ride" stories- in two words _"Bovine excreta". the only thing that the safari has is a very soft suspension. So this gives the impression of a good ride at low speeds in city roads. Speed up a bit (say 80 KPH) on an undulating road, and you will be reminded of your favourite roller coaster. and if there is a bend on the road you will revisit the concept of body roll.

5. A.S.S. I have no idea of Honda A.S.S. since I have never had the pleasure of owning one, but let me tell you, TATA A.S.S. sucks big time. If you are a safari owner, they will make all the right noises in terms of welcoming you, opening a job card, giving you a courtesy drop and pick up etc, but their workmanship is pathetic. Ans this is true for most Tata dealerships.

I just wanted to give you an owners perspective. the ANHC is by no means perfect, and you should also look at the Linea and SX4 as well, IMO

Cheers!

Thanks Hiaman, That was an eye opener. Myself being an Indigo owner, ha s personally experienced the worst things from a TASS, the last one being me involving in a would have been fatal crash when my brakes failed, that too , the very next day after service.
well, I have made my mind to forget those stuff, just for the simple reason that I love Safari, ( does not and will not mean that I love Tata).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwadia View Post
you really need to assess the reason for the vehicle, ask yourself the below mentioned questions :
A) Is it going to be primarily driven in the city or a healthy mix?
B) Who is going to be driving the vehicle most of the time?
C) Does Safety to you mean - a 1.5 ton solid vehicle or better braking /
collision safety devices.
Hopefully, you would have made your choice basis the above.
well, my drive is mainly in city with 3-4 round trips to my native in KL,mostly driven by me
For me, safety means not some thing which I can't see but some thing which I can see and feel, to have an assurance that I will be safe. Coming to the safety features of City, I won't be knowing the effectiveness of them until the moment they are deployed and then it will be too late.

But, if I have a metal shield which I can feel and see, I am more comfortable inside the same rather than a false security created by electronic gadgetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
I dont know about your wife but i know lot of females who love to drive Safari anyday compared to City.

Let her take a good long test drive of Safari and lets see how she feels.

Maintenenance of Safari will surely be cheaper than City.

New 2.2 Safari has so much power compared to City

Lots of space for you guys, your luggage and the pets.

Of course Safari comes with a huge road presence and you will love it.

External build quality wise, Safari is miles ahead of City.

buying a new vehicle is a big decision, so should not be taken in haste and let her be convinced that Safari is always a better for your requirements than City otherwise there is no use.

Cheers
well, I know I can't get a machinery which is 100 % perfect and if I am lucky, I will get a near perfect machinery or else a lemon
Old 1st July 2009, 15:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

Cheers!
As Safari Owner and Tata vehicle owner for last 4 years - I agree TATA A.S.S. sucks big time, be prepared to be on phone and plan frequent visit to workshop.
Old 1st July 2009, 15:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Safari: hope you aware of what TATA is & its quality,2.2L dicor is really good with nice torque.

City: more expensive with the features it offers, but good for a city drive.

Looks like most of your driving would is in CITY & less highway drive
You’re clocking app on an average 1000km per month, so this rules out diesel.
This time why not consider CITY for a change, since you already own one from the same TATA family.

Let me try to mind boggle you.

Why was Innova not considered? G4 diesel fits into your budget; though the body is lengthy never feel so in the city to drive & has good high way capabilites as well.
Please test drive the innova & see if you & wify likes.(SAFARI+CITY=INNOVA)

Now the Umpire wins!!!!!
Old 1st July 2009, 15:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post

Let me try to mind boggle you.

Why was Innova not considered? G4 diesel fits into your budget; though the body is lengthy never feel so in the city to drive & has good high way capabilites as well.
Please test drive the innova & see if you & wify likes.(SAFARI+CITY=INNOVA)

Now the Umpire wins!!!!!
The answer to the Innova question lies in your avatar. Innova and after seeing the Honda Jazz, the first question that came to my mind was whether Honda took an Innova and got it smashed ? Basically, I don't like the looks of Innova.
Old 1st July 2009, 15:34   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
The answer to the Innova question lies in your avatar. Innova and after seeing the Honda Jazz, the first question that came to my mind was whether Honda took an Innova and got it smashed ? Basically, I don't like the looks of Innova.
let me try once again
How about Linea,SX4 and T-bhp most cult car CEDIA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks