Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 10:33   #1

2000 Safari or a 2005 Indigo?

Hi, First of all let me thank all the gurus who will give all the advice i would need.

Heres the problem:
I wish to buy a II-hand diesel car, and my daily commute is around 30kms now, and after Aug might be around 60kms. So a diesel is inevitable. I have come across this cool 2000-Safari and the owner (a Parsee) is has the car in really nice condition, and is asking 1.25lakhs for it. My budget for the car was a strict 2 lakhs, and nothing more. I searched the market, even tried Carwale.com, and theres really no diesel any newer than 2004/2005 in that budget. However, i saw a couple of Indigos (2005 & 2006) for 2.5lakh - 3.10lakhs.

Moreover, my dad owns a resort and he could very well use a car like safari. Here are my Questions:
1. I am the only one who thinks buying a 2000-Safari isnt crazy? Should i buy something that old?
2. If i go for the Safari, what should i check for? The engine i heard could be re-built, and i can do that from the money i save (apprx 75000)
3. In a city like Mumbai, what FE can i expect for that Safari?
4. Or should i just extend my budget and go for those Indigos?

Many thanks in advance, and this being my first thread starter; please pardon any rule violations, as they are purely unintentional!!
Old 6th July 2009, 14:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

New Safari's come with their own set of issues, I simply can't recommend buying a 9 year old example. Even if it comes with the valued "Parsi-owned" tag.

Pick the best Indigo your budget allows. It's a workhorse and good for 1.2 - 1.5 lakh kms. I must add that the Indigo itself comes with its share of small niggles & issues. Difference is : 05 - 06 Indigos had a lot of their problems sorted out, and if they do crop up, are cheap to set right. The Indigo's cost of ownership will be way lesser than the Safari (more FE, lesser service / maintenance cost).
Old 6th July 2009, 14:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

2005 Indigo for sure if your budget allows or can be upgraded ! Earlier Safaris had a log of teething problems ! Better to stay away from a 2000 model for sure !
Old 6th July 2009, 14:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Buying a used diesel Tata? Oh dear!
Btw, Don't get the non-intercooled version of the indigo that was made until April 2005.
The TDI (intercooled) ones came later and thats what you should be buying.
Old 6th July 2009, 15:50   #5

thanks a ton, guys! thank you for the quick response!

@ nitrous:
"Oh dear" indeed!
well, my own stingy budget, the rocketing petrol prices and the prices people want for their VDis, really leave me not much choice. Anyways, i intend to use this vehicle for 2-2.5 yrs max, and then go for a brand new Diesel.

thanks again
Old 6th July 2009, 17:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

do you really need a big car? if you can sacrifice the boot, you have double the amount of choice
Old 7th July 2009, 11:41   #7

hmmm really? In diesel you mean? I can only think of Indicas as the other option, and i personally like the Indigo better than the indicas. Did you mean something else, o-horned guru?
Old 4th August 2009, 18:42   #8
glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voido_kun View Post
1. I am the only one who thinks buying a 2000-Safari isnt crazy? Should i buy something that old?
9 Year old diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voido_kun View Post
4. Or should i just extend my budget and go for those Indigos?

Many thanks in advance, and this being my first thread starter; please pardon any rule violations, as they are purely unintentional!!
Better option , Value for money

Old 11th September 2009, 11:05   #9
evo
BHPian

9 year old Safari vs 4 year old Indigo.

Pardon me, but you do seem like you want to punish yourself for something. Do you think that diesel economy will offset the associated costs with a problematic car?

I suggest dont even go near any of the two, buy an accent petrol or an esteem, infact I`d recommend the old TUD5 esteem diesel over the Indigo too. Also, if you are lucky you can find a TUD5 Accent too.
Old 14th September 2009, 11:11   #10

thanks guys..

Thanks a lot, guys! I finally see the light, and it makes sense to go for a petrol, and maybe re-think about my commuting expenses
Old 15th September 2009, 13:18   #11

if you think of petrol then the best bet for your requirement would be a maruti swift look for some good second hand vehicle.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:22   #12
BHPian

I for one am not convinced with your choices. The older safari TCIC has quite lot of issues and the non TDI indigo's didnt make too much of a mark either. With your budget or a for a little more you should go for a good petrol sedan or the later Tata's , seconds ofcourse. And a daily commute of 30kms doesnt really substantiate a choice of diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks