Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 13:16   #1
BHPian

Planning My Second Car. EDIT : Final contender, the SX4!

Hello Guys,

Currently I own a Swift VDi Model 2007 which has clocked around 33,000 kms; I am planning to sell it and buy a new car. With the mileage data you can see that my average monthly running is around 1200 kms, with 60% city driving and 40% highway driving (weekend runs)

I was first planning to buy a SUV since at times I do travel to the hills and thought that the 4X4 would come in handy if any situation arises, however the huge dimensions of the available vehicles made me drop the idea. And smaller SUVs like Hyundai Tuscan are insanely priced.

Now I am all confused like I was when I bought my first car two years back, so I need help from you guys.

And yes I have a small family, me & my wife only (parents stay in different town and do visit us at times and vice versa)

I also once had in mind to buy a small diesel car like Indica Vista for city commuting and a Maruti Gypsy 1.3 MPFI for my hill travelling, but I think this would be an expensive affair

Basic requirements -

5 seater, torquey engine, good ground clearance, good service network

Ah..I forgot to mention that all the money from my present car's sale would go for this, and apart from this I can manage an EMI of 5,000-6,000 for 3-5 yrs by taking a loan

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 14th August 2009 at 13:19.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:46   #2
BHPian

I don't see any justification to sell your VDi.... in fact it meets all of your basic requirements and can still save you those EMI's.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:02   #3
BHPian

SX4 fits the bill..except for 5 seater.

Last edited by madhukar_n : 14th August 2009 at 14:04. Reason: already moved :-)
Old 14th August 2009, 14:05   #4
BHPian

From your post I gather that you need a torquey diesel car in the region of 6-7 lacs!

Well apart form the Swift VDI of course, since you want to replace it, a torquey diesel car in that range would be the Getz CRDi, Ford Ikon TDCi and Ford Fusion diesel and the Renault Logan diesel. Not getting anything else in my mind now. But as Airwind says personally I feel nothing wrong with the Swift VDi. And yes, as madhukar_n said, SX4 will suit you if you are looking for a Petrol

Last edited by rageshgr : 14th August 2009 at 14:07. Reason: Addition of more info
Old 14th August 2009, 14:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

You may also look at Bolero CRDE which is the smallest among all SUVs and will be in the price range you are looking for.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:14   #6
srinivas9446

rajat,

why do you want to sell your VDI ? can i try to understand this first please? its quite sporty..ground clearance is fine, i think averagely built 5 can manage, when all the 5 are in car OCCASIONALLY- i guess.

i think none can beat the Service network of MARUTI, what do you say ?

Old 14th August 2009, 14:15   #7
BHPian

Why don't you consider a used Scorpio.
Old 14th August 2009, 14:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas9446 View Post
rajat,

why do you want to sell your VDI ? can i try to understand this first please? its quite sporty..ground clearance is fine, i think averagely built 5 can manage, when all the 5 are in car OCCASIONALLY- i guess.

i think none can beat the Service network of MARUTI, what do you say ?
I agree with you completely, the reason I am selling my VDi is that I will shortly be moving from Hyderabad back to north, and taking the car with all the paper work done will be a pain in the @ss, already spent days to get the car registered in AP, so will sell it here and a buy a new one...

And you are abosolutely right about Maruti's service network and quality, one mail to them in case of an issue and the entire dealership comes to your doorstep on their knees
Old 14th August 2009, 14:23   #9
BHPian

No offense please, but its really stupidity to sell your Vdi and going for anything else in that budget.
If you are hell bent upon it then consider Fusion/SX4/Gypsy/Scorpio. Select the one which suits your budget most, and for your swift, here is your customer
Old 14th August 2009, 14:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
No offense please, but its really stupidity to sell your Vdi and going for anything else in that budget.
If you are hell bent upon it then consider Fusion/SX4/Gypsy/Scorpio. Select the one which suits your budget most, and for your swift, here is your customer
No offence taken, however read my initial post carefully...let me make it simpler for you about my budget,

(Money I get after selling my VDi) + (Car Loan : with 3K to 6K EMI for 5 yrs) = Budget of my new car.

btw...Ford is not my consideration
Old 14th August 2009, 14:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
He is going back to Noida. and you cannot easily register a out of station car there

Rajat, Whaty you can do is put you car on sale. it will take you months to get the right price, wait for the new diesel SX4.

I were you, i would sell my VDI, Go to delhi (because thats were you going right?) Pickup a good ex militry gypsy from mayapuri for 1.5 lacs get it done up for another 50k. Pickup a small car like ritz/getz(for diesel) or probably spark/alto (petrol) and pay minimal EMI (considerin your VDI will sell for 4.5+)

Hope i am able to put some thought in your head

Pramod
Old 14th August 2009, 15:08   #12
BHPian

@pramodkumar - You got my point in why I am selling my car , those who have not done the exercise of moving within states and re-registering the car cannot understand the pain.

Keeping two cars won't be feasible because I will either buy an apartment or rent one, in case of buying I know the builders charge 1.5-2 lakh for one parking space, so I have to keep in mind this mathematics as well,

Diesel SX4 would be a good option, but its still unclear when MUL will launch it, and I am sure it will be 8 lakh plus
Old 14th August 2009, 15:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

As you require good torque Punto is out of list and buying a vdi again will be stupidity.
Ritz can be a very good option but i suspect about the 5 seater part(ritz owners can confirm this).

Along with getz crdi(which i suspect is gonna be discontinued) i will strongly suggest you to check out i20 crdi.
You can even check this thread of a new crdi owner - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ta-here-2.html

hope that helps.
Old 14th August 2009, 15:34   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
@pramodkumar - You got my point in why I am selling my car ,
I sailed in the same boat as you couple of years back when i was going back to delhi from hyderabad.

OT which company do you work for?
Old 14th August 2009, 15:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

sensible middle class solution:
i10 1.2 for city
Mahindra Jeep (2L final total that you'll spend, excluding the cost of lost hair )

Most Viewed